Why do some musicians keep such a low profile?

Why do some musicians keep such a low profile?

Some people prefer privacy and the allure is good for the brand. Can't imagine burial being such an iconic figure if he did shit tons of tour dates

they're smart
media/fandom is complete poison

How so?

“I want to be unknown,” Burial declared in the 2007 Wire interview. “Most of the tunes I like, I never knew what the people who made them looked like, anyway. It draws you in. You could believe in it more... I just want to be in a symbol... the name of a tune.”

What do you mean "how so"?
I don't know who in their right mind would aspire to be a public figure in 2017, it seems so stressful and anxiety-inducing, to be under the scrutiny of a bunch of idiots on social media 24/7.

Is that keiji haino?

Same thing with bmsr/tobacco
tom doesnt like to be seen

Go to bed Brandon.

But that mystery can also create more hype and a more obsessive fanbase.

I agree with this. Finding out more about an author or musician always seems to...change my perception. I believe it to be universal.

Also, there's something in critical theory that states that true criticism can only be attained with no knowledge of the person who created, that it must be understood based on the content alone. Anything else dilutes that.

Some cult leaders dont like their cult members

definitely, and that's mostly why people try to be "mysterious", but it requires someone else promoting and hyping the fuck out of it, no one's going to get attention by hiding

>Also, there's something in critical theory that states that true criticism can only be attained with no knowledge of the person who created, that it must be understood based on the content alone. Anything else dilutes that.
That's kind of silly, evaluating something also depends on context and how it relates to everything else. You can't judge something in a vacuum.

Absolutely. It’s why some musicians like Kate Bush or Scott Walker can maintain such a high level of obsession despite being completely absent for sometimes a whole decade at a time.

This is more for /lit/ honestly. There are some that would side with you. That the author inherently must be judged alongside the content.

I personally just prefer not to. That the content is more pure when looked at on its own

BUT either one is fine. Burial is for the latter. I don't think that empirically, one is "better" than the other honestly. Just that I find only paying attention to the content doesn't get tainted.

For instance, if I listen to a song, and hear an interview or whatever, and then look up the creator and they are attractive/unattractive, I've found that to influence what I think of the project, which is foolish.
A great example is Polanski's films. Dude is a fucking inhumane monster, which has in turned poisoned his work for me, which in general is great, whether I want it to or not.

some musicans like to create things under different hidde pseudonyms too, because retards compare everything to their former music even if the group is different.

>That the content is more pure when looked at on its own
I just don't think that works in music. Every work is connected to every other work. If you change even a minor detail (i.e. imagine it's released in a different year), you change the way it's perceived. Content doesn't exist on its own. It's the way it connects to everything else that gives it meaning.

coz its cool

That's totally valid.
Like someone said above Kate Bush. Knowing that was released sometimes in the 80s (depending on the record) totally shapes how that music is perceived. Now, imagine not having any idea when a piece of music was released and only judging the song based on the track alone. That's what I mean. A criticism that's purely about the piece itself.

Yeah but it's a crucial thing to know if something is either ahead of its time or following current trends or a retro throwback or whatever. It completely changes how it's approached. Because you're not judging the composition and arrangement so much as you're judging how it compares with what other people are doing.

thats interesting, i agree though.