Film Sup Forumssic General

Post your favorites, their genre and composer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xl_0JCVSO7A&
youtube.com/watch?v=N9r5eTn4KdM&
youtube.com/watch?v=hYaso7QeXqU
youtube.com/watch?v=2j1LboAykoI
youtube.com/watch?v=MItMDkc343M
youtu.be/JRHMJ_zzjnA
youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PuyYc0gINbU
youtube.com/watch?v=JRkt1auGXSo
youtube.com/watch?v=0EzxzbZciKU
youtube.com/watch?v=tRl3VQQ0GUA
youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA
youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0FyBGVdu8
youtube.com/watch?v=0BZhPIut3U8
youtube.com/watch?v=sqeFn0kOuXM
youtube.com/watch?v=UCVaU-R2Qes&list=PLE3A2E610E77911BE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll start.

>Brian Tyler
>Criminal 2016 (underscore/ambient)
>youtube.com/watch?v=Xl_0JCVSO7A&

>Harry Gregson-Williams
>Phone Booth 2002 (underscore/ambient)
>youtube.com/watch?v=N9r5eTn4KdM&

hans zimmer is the shit. i like most of his work
check out his masterclass on scoring film, its pretty nice and fine as fuck

>John Powell
>The Bourne Identity 2002 (orchestral/rock)
>youtube.com/watch?v=hYaso7QeXqU

>Tyler Bates
>300 2006 (ethnic/dissonant)
>youtube.com/watch?v=2j1LboAykoI

>Jamie Cullman
>gran torino 2008
youtube.com/watch?v=MItMDkc343M

>Only God Forgives
>Cliff Martinez 2013
youtu.be/JRHMJ_zzjnA

hans zimmer)))))

Dude that guy is a fraud

you know he has has a team of composers that write for him

e n n i o

there can be only one number 1

are you trolling? otherwise you should be concerned about you taste. Zimmer has no genuine themes, actually his whole work (instrumentation, composition in general) lacks originality. It's just a filler. I hate him.
Compare him to someone who has developed a personal style like Morricone or Williams

>programmatic music

zimmer only "lacks originality" because he's out there doing 97% of the film scores

compare Morricone's themes with Zimmer's themes. There's no distinct melody, only ethnic instruments/intrusive strings garbage that rapes your ears. You need no courage to write such shit, and if you have staff composers like Zimmer it's even more pathetic. Maybe he's a good businessman, but he's no artist whatsoever.
This is good film music:
youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

youtube.com/watch?v=PuyYc0gINbU

why don't you just see movies with great music as follower of the opera?
Once upon a time in the West and Lord of the Rings are great examples

imagine Beethoven had written a film score instead of Fidelio

i dont spend my time on musicals

when nobody dances it's not a musical. maybe you are one of the guys who cry about art being dead without seeing what great art we have before our eyes. Sure, film isn't as deep as opera yet but especially Lord of the Rings showed what can be done if you transfer the Leitmotiv technique to a blockbuster.
btw there's nothing wrong with programmatic music anyway. You can't say that Strauss, Dukas or Liszt are inferior just because their music wasn't absolute

>maybe you are one of the guys who cry about art being dead without seeing what great art we have before our eyes
we have best art coming out these days but the purest music is for our ears, not eyes

>Sure, film isn't as deep as opera
i struggle to understand how you could reasonably make such a claim unless you think 'inherent artistic worth' strongly correlates with 'average amount of tophats and monocles in the audience'

>btw there's nothing wrong with programmatic music anyway.
there's nothing wrong with anything as long as its what you want. however, this board is about music and in that frame of measurement programmatic music is inferior to absolute music

>You can't say that Strauss, Dukas or Liszt are inferior just because their music wasn't absolute
i was trying to imply something much more general but youre welcome to think of it that way if it helps

wow you are really full of shit.

>the purest music is for our ears, not eyes
so what? I never denied that. but music and pictures combined can become a new form of art, as you're saying yourself.

>i struggle to understand how you could reasonably make such a claim
maybe because the opera had a history of 400 years and was made by one writer (maybe two if the libretto was by someone else) who dedicated his whole life for his art. I don't say mainstream film can't be as deep someday, but atm it's money in/money out with ~1000 people participating (besides some arthouse movies)

>this board is about music and in that frame of measurement programmatic music is inferior to absolute music
I actually can't blame you for this bullshit because I thought like that for years. But just think about that: music needs form, for example the sonata form. This form has no self value whatsoever, it's basically a picture or an agreement that absorbs the actual music and makes it understandable. There's no such thing as absolute music - you need always a form that comes from outside and which is to some point arbitrary. So if Liszt writes 'Les Preludes' or Dukas 'The sorcerer's apprentice', and it's a round, complete and understandable work - then why should it be inferior as music to something that follows an 'abstract' form? So much shit has been written in the classical era, so much boring shit (Clementi,Haydn,Scarlatti,Bocherini,Mozart,Bach,Cramer piano sonatinas that noone remembers, not saying that those composers are bad). Are you saying on this board, talking about music, this shit should concern us more than a Strauss Tondichtung?

the actual state of this thread
youtube.com/watch?v=JRkt1auGXSo

I remember watching this high as fuck as a teen

good times... will they ever return?

youtube.com/watch?v=0EzxzbZciKU

This one hit me right in the feels every fucking time.
youtube.com/watch?v=tRl3VQQ0GUA

youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA Whatever genre this is. It's great.

lol im the one who is the one who is full of shit? read on:

>music and pictures combined can become a new form of art
then why dont you just add smells and tastes and touches to it all too? then just living your life can be your 'ultimate art'. the thing is 'combine' is the wrong word: it's more that each adulterates the other. the problem is when music and image are combined, each co-component then has access to only half of your attention. a separation from reality (or a suspension of disbelief, if you will) is healthy for art

>maybe because the opera had a history of 400 years and was made by one writer who dedicated his whole life for his art
so even if some guy lived for 400 years your argument is "one guy made it so it is better than multiple people made it"?...

>I don't say mainstream film can't be as deep someday
...and also the goalpost is mainstream film now?

okay now to cover the final paragraph of your reply which i really hope has some traces of brain function

oh shit it didn't:

>music needs form,
>for example the sonata form
>something that follows an 'abstract' form?
what the fuck are you talking about? what is the distinction between sonata form and this so called 'abstract' form

are you even aware of what the word 'abstract' means?

>This form has no self value whatsoever
>it's basically a picture
what are you talking about? stop thinking about music as being some pretty drawing you can tape to your fridge.

>an agreement that absorbs the actual music and makes it understandable.
youre in charge of "absorbing the actual music" and "maing it understandable" for yourself. you should have learned in elementary school that nobody is going to do the understanding for you.

>you need always a form that comes from outside and which is to some point arbitrary
comes from outside of where?
arbitrary how? how can you be sure it has to be arbitrary?

sorry, English isn't my first language so maybe sometimes I use awkward wording. But still:
>a separation from reality (or a suspension of disbelief, if you will) is healthy for art
in an idealistic sense this may be true, but irl I like a great film with great music better than 'pure music' that sucks. So if someone has a talent to combine two art forms he should go fore it, even if it's not the 'purest art'.

I don't answer to the opera thing because you know pretty well what I meant.

>the goalpost is mainstream film now?
yes it is, because the reference was mainstream opera as well. if a form of art develops quality as mainstream it has become relevant (e.g. symphonies)

I was already prepared that you didn't get my last point.
If you want music to be pure and absolute, the form (especially the form) has to be pure and absolute. Yet such a form does not exist. Even the sonata form (which is on of the forms of choice of so called 'absolute music', that's why I chose it) is not absolute but was born of pictures that were transfered to music (male/female, strong/weak, 'battle' in the development, 'solution' in the reprise etc). Beethoven, who is often claimed to be an absolute musician, put a lot of symbols and real life references in his symphonies and sonatas. So what I'm saying is, there is no such thing as absolute music, because in the moment that you enjoy a piece of music you're brain already compares the form to pictures you have in your head, even if you're not immediately aware of it. But you can always trace it, with enough patience, there's nothing esoteric about it.
So, I don't like it so much when Strauss gives programs to his works and explanations to his motivs, but if I like the music it doesn't matter to me. It's just pure music as a Beethoven symphony

>Hanz Zimmer
I find his stuff pretty bland. The only Interstellar's music was so great was because the actual sound design in the film was incredible.
I was on a Bela Tarr kick a couple weeks ago and this film destroyed me. Absolutely stunning.

David Lynch & Alan R. Splet

youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0FyBGVdu8

I just listened to Hans Zimmer's best of on youtube just to be sure that I didn't miss something because I also always thought that it was bland. Without an exceptions his 'music' consists of chords put together, the 'melodies' are only there for voice leading. Everything is blurry and sounds like coming from far away, no guts, no statement, just background bullshit.

The comments on yt though (excerpt):

>Pretty much 70 percent of best movie tracks originate from hans zimmer. If only he was an eternal man

>Greatest composer eve

>How to make a good movie: Just get Hans Zimmer to make the soundstrack

>This is what a musical genius sounds like

>Hans must be the Mozart of our age...

>ugh...why do I cry every time a listen to his works... every single fudging time

are these guys listening to the same music as I? do I miss something?

>If you want music to be pure and absolute, the form has to be pure and absolute...
a rocky syllogism

>Yet such a form does not exist
i need a citation or a strong argument

>Even some random form i cherry-picked is not absolute
not the strong argument i was looking for. jesus mate, english wasn't my first language either but its no excuse for thinking logically flawed arguments

>there is no such thing as absolute music, because in the moment that you enjoy a piece of music you're brain already compares the form to pictures you have in your head
dude lol- quit projecting

in closing, imagination has come a long way in the last 800 years-- maybe go listen to some music from today and so you can realize it's of a far higher caliber of pure art than these ancient 'weak-male battle-solution soundtracks' you seem so hung up on

i will say, i have never liked hans zimmer ever. but his soundtrack for blade runner 2049 gets the vangelis vibe down well; nevertheless it only succeeds as imitation

ok, if an absolute and pure form existed, what would it look like? would it be serialism?
think about the following: what is the reason, why people enjoy music in the first place? it's obviosly not the sound itself, otherwise we would play major chords for hours. It's the form in which it is put together. So the form itself becomes a field of creativity. But where does the form come from? (btw the sonata form is not cherry-picked but THE form of the period many people claim to be the period of 'absolute music').
So, is the form already part of the world and we just dig it out? certainly not.
form gets is value through comparibility to psychological tenions that the recipient can relate to. That's also why you're interested in the artist when you listen to something you like. If a computer could hypothetically write a Beethoven sonata noone would be interested, because art and artist have to be related to evoke emotion in us.
The form is a mirror of the psychological development the artist went through during the process. And a certain form is successful if it can take in a lot of such processes, e.g. the sonata form.
If you're interested in this topic I recommend to you the works of Ernst Kurth.
He also gives a definition of 'romantic' and 'classic' that goes well along with what we're talking about

read john cage

yeah I should 'read' John Cage, because listening to is certainly not what you can do with his work

>ok, if an absolute and pure form existed, what would it look like?
it wouldnt LOOK like anything, you hillbilly

>what is the reason, why people enjoy music in the first place? it's obviosly not the sound itself, otherwise we would play major chords for hours
on the other hand it's obviously part of it otherwise we couldn't really listen to much music at all, could we?

>the sonata form is not cherry-picked but THE form of the period many people claim to be the period of 'absolute music'
except basically nobody is writing in sonata form today

>that's also why you're interested in the artist when you listen to something you like
actually im more interested by music itself, not gossip

>If a computer could hypothetically write a Beethoven sonata noone would be interested, because art and artist have to be related to evoke emotion in us.
it's not like you could tell the difference anyway

>The form is a mirror of the psychological development the artist went through during the process
just lol. google "death of the artist" now lol

man these fucking classical music apologists think music collectively peaked in the 1700's so they try to ret-con all these flawed musical philosophies onto these boring wig-wogs

ok sarcastic retard
read john cage's writings on musical theory

ok, maybe I can't get through to you. But if you're not esoteric just answer me the question: what makes good music good music if it's obviously not the sound itself? what qualitiy has a piece of music that you can get addicted to it? why can write Max Martin one hit after the other?
Do you at least in this point agree that it's mostly because of the form?
If yes, why should form itself make music good? if I play a Britney Spears song to a guy from 1000 A.D. it would be only noise to him.
So, were does the form come from, no matter if sonata, song, fugue or whatever?

sry 'bout the sarcasm but I just like tonal music and 4'33'' of silence is just intellectual wankery to me.
I bet there's more to it, but before I read him I need to be catched by his music first, and that didn't happen yet

allow me to paraphrase this post:
>i will never read and process new ideas unless they are guaranteed to not offend my comfortable sensibilities

>They kicked Jóhann Jóhannsson off for Hanz Zimmer
Shame really.

>Do you at least in this point agree that it's mostly because of the form?
so as long as i blast tuba farts in sonata form i too can record a #1 hit like max martin?

that's not what I'm saying, but I don't want to force myself into a topic when I would do it just to look interested. I don't get why some people try to get into classical and read on the topic etc. even though they just don't love. That leads only to depression.
As I said, there's certainly something to it. But for now it's just 4'33'' of silence and nothing more.
Could be that he's a great art theoreticist or something, but atm I just don't get it

>mostly
the form has to arrange parts that have some value on their own of course.
It's like a film: it consists of good scenes, but the film has only value (and personality) because the scenes are in that specific order. The whole is something besides the parts.

This is a complex and delicate topic. Max Martin could of course not write in sonata form. The form, the artist and the art have to be tied in a very specific way, and only if this happens true art can emerge.

>Could be that he's a great art theoreticist or something, but atm I just don't get it

this post says it all

thank you concessionposter

thank you for finally releasing me from this hellish bondage of arguing with you

>cant explain music without resorting to film as a metaphor

good bye. you have the intelligence of a log

see and just answer me what rises music up from bein g pure sound? (instead of ad hominem)

>and just answer me what rises music up from bein g pure sound?

the listener does

goodbye now

yes the listener does. but what's the tool to do it?

Please, advise me cheap 2.1 audio system.

Now i am thinking about Trust Tytan or Vigor and Logitec z333.

But all of them has some problems (at least all of them has some negative comments )

I am going to listen instrumental music, watch films, play the games. Have usual matherboard integrated sound card.

(Listening music on my Cowon i10 + Sony MDR XB500)

Thank you very much for attention!

usually one's ears and almost always one's brain (not sure how youre managing)

Tosca Tango Orchestra - Waking Life
youtube.com/watch?v=0BZhPIut3U8

yeah very funny. I know what you're aiming at and you're certainly right. The artist can never know how the art is gonna be processed by the listener and maybe sometimes it's even better not to try too hard.
But that aside, most art that we consume today (and I think using another art form as metaphor is not bad) is crafted that it meets the expectations of the audience, no matter if that is a good or a bad thing. And, be it film, music, literature paintings, is achieved mainly with form. Showing the audience that you know of the form and breaking it at the same time.
A talented artist fulfills the form, a genius breaks it.
Throughout the history of man, as soon as something pleasant has been discovered, the next step was to bring it into form. Most recent example are video games and video games with great grafic that are still bad

-> /prod/

I like Jonny Greenwood's work

youtube.com/watch?v=sqeFn0kOuXM

Word of warning: only for real hardcore patricians

>Hans must be the Mozart of our age...

Can someone give me advise?

y don't you ask in /prod/, those guys know about this shit.

>>>/prod/

Or what?

boards Sup Forums org prod ?

>nobody posted this
youtube.com/watch?v=UCVaU-R2Qes&list=PLE3A2E610E77911BE

just click on the link, why is it so hard? Or should I post the question there for you?

Thank you )) Just missed the link

"it has orchestral strings therefore it must be deep" is basically the logic behind it. These are like the same kind of people who think any song with a piano in it is sad.