youtube.com/watch?v=58nPEe-TU-w

>awful sounding
Wrong from the get-go

>Vox

Takes a few listens but I love it

>tfw /ourguy/ Samuel Andreyev shows up

>atonal mess
>drunk hobo screeching his voice

It's objectively awful sounding. You can like it for it's creativity but it's trash.

Did he really? I don't want to get tricked into watching Vox.

The amount people in the comments saying 'lol this is pretentious shit do filthy frank instead' is suicide fuel.

>atonal
are you trying to be retarded?

>tricked

lol stop being a baby.

I don't know why people always have to pretend to like awful music just to show everyone that they have a superior taste.

But everyone thinks your taste is shit, even if you pretend you like jamming TV noise.

Trout mask replica is my favorite emo album

this post reeks of insecurity.

Fuck Vox and other corporate millennial brainwashing machines.

they even link to the andreyev video
in fact i came to Sup Forums to see if someone had made a thread about this vox video

y would we watch fking vox u normie
fuck off

>I can't get my head around it so it's objectively bad
If you seriously can't hear hooks and riffs in this after at most 2 or 3 listens then that's on you, but most of the instruments make musical sense in themselves, they're only really unconventional because they don't fit neatly together with each other.

vox is pretty inoffensive if you avoid anything that contains hillary clinton, if you are really that concerned about getting out of your safe space.

>Bad singing
>Bad mixing
>Instruments exist but don't even play together
>Objectively sounds bad

"I can analyze it so I have to pretend that it sounds good to look superior because I get it and you all don't I'm so great."

Fuck me sideways, listen to your shit and pretend to enjoy it, while I listen to music which I genuinely enjoy.

exactly, which makes it sound like a mess. It's pretentious noise. Is it creative, new, skilled? Yes, but that doesn't make it pleasant. It's skilled to play Beethoven backwards too, that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I'm not saying you have to like it, I'm saying that it's perfectly reasonable to listen to it and not just "appreciate it as art" or some shit but to actually find it an enjoyable work, because there's enough conventional musical elements in it to actually be listenable. There are hooks and riffs in the songs. The instruments are all playing in completely tonal keys and scales. The instruments are completely arhythmic, sure, but even then a lot of it relies on polyrhythms as opposed to being a complete rhythmic shambles. There's enough structure and melody throughout it to be held together enough to be enjoyable. It's not a bunch of people wacking random notes on their instruments, it's relatively conventional musical ideas connected together in an unconventional way.

>Objectively sounds bad
>pretentious noise
wow such brilliant discussion

The only problem I have with that album is that it's too long. I like its approach and its sonority, and it's really funny, but I stop caring about it half eay into it

Am I a pleb?

Its 4 discs IIRC; you can try listening seven songs at a time.

this
trout mask replica is good but sounds bad, if that makes any sense

A b R a S i V e E a R c A n D y

>The YouTube comments section
If all you have to contribute to the discussion is "hurr durr it's pretentious, then just go somewhere else and listen to music that you enjoy instead of contaminating it.

it's not even that unconventional, even for the time

there are far weirder records than tmr

>Bad taste
>Bad opinions
>Post exist but don't even prove anything
>Objetively bad post

See, anyone can do that

Yep, that is what I usually do

>but I won't share them
might aswell kill yourself user

this is Sup Forums, i don't need to share shit
nuff people here have heard of stockhausen (at least)

>awful sounding

not even gonna watch the video

>I'm a big baby that can't handle facts

Oh, you're talking about Avant-garde composition?
But no one has ever claimed that Trout Mask Replica is weirder than the atonal stuff coming out in classical music, simply that it's by far the weirdest and most origianl rock album to ever be released. If you disagree I beg you find a rock album that sounds as complex and weird.

i mean is it even a rock album at that point
so does that distinction even matter

also goalposts

>I'm a big baby and can't handle Beefheart

indeed I can't, I don't listen to dadrock and messed together garbage

>i mean is it even a rock album at that point
yes, Trout Mask Replica is a rock album.
>also goalposts
you're the one who used the ambiguous term "records" when you were really referring to Avant-garde composition. So who's really moving the goalposts?

So because you can't understand and appreciate something no one else should either. Looks like you're alittle butthurt. You are literally the exact same as the commenters on this video user. Kill yourself.

if it's a rock album then it's not weird

this is not hard to understand

at least I'm not a baby triggered by the word awful so I can't even begin to watch a video. Grow the fuck up.

How does this even make sense in your mind user?

because rock music is the most pleb normie genre there is

Dude it's LITERALLY just a catchy blues album. There are only a couple songs that are unpleasant. Ask me how I know you don't listen to free jazz or blues at all

great dicussion user, really well argued. you fucking moron.

your welcome, thanks for the feedback

I'm not even the user you were originally replying to. I just think you're retarded.

I want to interview him for my radio show but I also don't want to seem like a complete fucking idiot while talking to him

he's right tho

You probably won't, the point of interviewing someone like him is that they'll present more information than you'd be able to so you learn from them. Also, depending on the audience of your radio show it might be useful to not know too much as the audience might not either and you can get him to explain things on a simpler level if you don't fully understand them either.

The comment section is hilarious in that vid

Oh dear lord

what the fuck

I had to get extremely high for it to click but now i really like it

I interviewed Scaruffi and didn't sperg out too much, apart from him telling me 10 minutes before that he'd only have 20 minutes to chat. But yeah, you're right, I'd like to ask him less about the technical side of music and more about the way people comprehend it and think about it as non-musicians, etc etc.

Holy fucking shit lmao

>rockists hating TMR
I came in from blues and free jazz and it sounds good to me.

My smile is stuck :^(

he has a point though

What point? That he's uneducated on music and incapable of making a valid comparison?

The individual parts are diatonic, but the instruments are all playing in different keys. It's polytonal, not atonal.

Brazilian nigger

I mean if I were to give a friend a little intro on the album this video would work pretty well. Sure it’s looking from a casual music listeners perspective, but you can sort of tell they’re trying to explain it to that same sort of people, which the casual Sup Forumstant can’t really appreciate because they’ve probably listened to it a dozen times already.

>awful sounding album
What kind of pleb are these niggers?

>i dont liek think
>it means its objectively bad because im le authority
>s-s-stop liking thing user!

>"thinking" to tmr

Why do people say that anything with dissonance "sounds bad"? I get that the notes are harsh and clashing in coordination with other ones, but that doesn't mean "bad", just dissonant and perhaps "unpleasant".
From a raw, emotional, non-analytical standpoint, I enjoy the sort of quirky sound of Trout Mask Replica. I don't expect everyone to of course because of subjective taste, but I do enjoy the album, and I think it sounds good.

Also, "it sounds bad" is a poor argument when you're trying to be objective because anyone can say "Oh yeah? Well I like it." and your argument is so easily refuted and the only thing you can do in that situation is either claim the other person has shit taste or that the other person is just pretending to like it for some sort of bullshit hipster cred or something.

wasn't it purposely made to sound terrible?

imagine being this right

>haha this album sounds like shit but it's really good :^)
I hate people who say shit like this. They'er admitting that they don't enjoy an album but still praise it because it makes them sound sophisticated.
If you don't enjoy how an album sounds, you don't get to talk about how it's a "masterpiece." Period.

>michael bay is bad
>sounds like shit
does not necessarily translate to not enjoying it

I see where you're coming from but I disagree: it's possible to recognize cacophony and disarray while still enjoying it. Something being made in a way that goes against conventional musical norms can be described objectively in that respect, but when you say something "sounds awful," that becomes a subjective statement, in my view, since what sounds awful to me might not sound awful to you.
For example: some of the phrases from Második Galamb by Venetian Snares are drastically atonal and cacophonous, yet I wouldn't say it sounds "awful," since the cacophony plays to its advantage.
I guess it all depends on how you define "sounds awful," to me that's a subjective statement about enjoyment.

Vox music videos are often good desu. I don't get why be all like "I won't watch anything Vox" just because they differ from someone else's political or social views desu.

Backwards Beethoven still sounds good though

this desu

TMR is a really meta album, you have to understand what the musicians are trying to accomplish to apreciate it, it's an album for people who are into music theory. And even then it stills rightfully sounds awful to a lot of people.

The idea that Trout Mask Replica sounds awful and is unlistenable is just beyond laughable. My grandparents even like more unlistenable music than this.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally oppose any organization like Vox, NowThis or Buzzfeed which peddle political propaganda to the lowest common denominator. I just find them sleazy.

How the news should be:
>this is what happened, more at 11

How buzzfeed/vox are:
>this are the cliffnotes of what happened
>and this is how you should feel about it
all condensed into a 30 second clip.

I'm right-wing but Breitbart does this same shit and that's why I pay them 0 attention. If you're really on the side of truth you shouldn't have to trick people with flashy propaganda videos.

A retarded thread

vs

One smart boy

"I'm a fucking dolt and anybody who likes things that I don't like must be pretending"

Give the album a few more tries, I came back to it years after my first time and it clicked. It sounds janky af and I used to hate that but now I love it. Try listening to some free jazz and then come back to it, imo they come from a similar ethos. Even if you can't appreciate the music Beefheart's lyrics are awesome freeverse poetry

>My grandparents even like more unlistenable music than this.
Examples?

id say its album you can appreciate but not one you can enjoy. I mean, it was purposely made to be repugnant sounding. only a psycho would legitimately enjoy this stuff

im seriously sorry if you dont get this album

Newfag here :^) only been on Sup Forums for a little over a year, just listened to TMR for the first time. Doesn't really sound awful at all, it's a fun listen guys (:

Thank you friendo

good for you bud

fpbp
Normies will never get this album is just jankey blues music. It's probably one of the more fun albums out there to listen to.

>vox
>vox
>vox
....never

have some gald freindo

its like they want us to hate them
some kind of psyop

yep their def reaching out and its disgusting

this

normies with normie sensibilities what do you expect?

>tfw it took me a whole year to get Beefhart
I like Safe as Milk more tho

Twin Infinitives

>I'm a baby crying about trigger warnings but I'm so fucking triggered by a YT channel name (not even their content) that I instantly hate it
>Libtards sure are special safe space snowflakes amirite!

Sup Forums is the same lel