Was it good perfomance or cheesy overacting?

Was it good perfomance or cheesy overacting?

Deliberately hammy in contrast to his other roles in the film.

it was good

Neither, it was a brilliant performance. See also: Being There.

He was the only person who could make Kubrick genuinely laugh. What do you think?

I was pretty much what the public thought about Wernher von Braun.

Gen. 'Buck' Turgidson was the only overactor in the film

It was both.

MEIN FUHRER

I CAN WALK

All his performances in that movie were great

This.

loud theatrical comic overacting>>>>...dogshit>mumbling whispery underwhelming realism

I fucking love this movie and Peter Sellers is awesome in it. The movie has the entire contrasting tone of absurdity and grim reality, so I think his acting fits perfectly in the movie.

Every time this movie tried to be funny it failed horribly.
Would be great if it didn't try to be funny.

t. I love quips in movies

Not really but what they did is beyond shit.

overacting in the sense that it made me cry laughing maybe

It was a wonderful over-the-top comedic performance. Especially since he's doing it opposite himself in the most deadpan performance he ever did.

>The scene where Gen. Turgidson trips and falls in the War Room, and then gets back up and resumes talking as if nothing happened, really was an accident. Stanley Kubrick mistakenly thought that it was George C. Scott really in character, so he left it in the film.
>There is a great deal of editing and cutting away shots in the sequence where Dr. Strangelove gets carried away in the War Room when his out-of-control right hand makes Nazi salutes and tries to strangle him, mainly to cover up the cast around him cracking up with laughter. Despite this, Peter Bull, playing Soviet Ambassador de Sadesky, can be glimpsed trying to suppress his laughter.
>The famous line "Mein Führer! I can walk!" was ad-libbed by Peter Sellers. Whenever he did ad-lib his lines for comic relief, Stanley Kubrick was never brought to laughing much like others on set numerous times before. However, this was the one line where everyone including Kubrick were laughing hysterically at. Hence why the scene cuts away almost immediately after the line is said.
It's some of the best shit.

George C. Scott's ENTIRE performance was a trick by Kubrick. Slim Pickens played his role completely straight and didn't even know he was filming a satirical movie (though the bomb rodeo sequence probably gave him a hint).

>Gentlemen you can't fight in here, this is the war room

Best laffy line in the movie

I thought kubrick told george c scott to do exaggerated takes to get into character before they did the real ones. But Kubrick used all the exaggerated ones instead.

>I thought kubrick told george c scott to do exaggerated takes to get into character before they did the real ones. But Kubrick used all the exaggerated ones instead.
Yeah, that's the trick I'm referring to. Scott was mad as fuck and vowed never to work with Kubrick again.

Everytime

Scott stole the entire movie with his amazing performance. Generally laughed out loud at everything he said.

Think you missed the point of his character pal

>George C. Scott was reputedly annoyed that Stanley Kubrick was pushing him to overact for his role. While he vowed never to work with Kubrick again, Scott eventually saw this as one of his favorite performances. Many fans consider it some of his best work on-screen.
Based

this 2 b h

>During the filming, Kubrick and Scott had different opinions regarding certain scenes, but Kubrick got Scott to conform largely by repeatedly beating him at chess, which they played frequently on the set. Scott, a skilled player himself, later said that while he and Kubrick may not have always seen eye to eye, he respected Kubrick immensely for his skill at chess.

Totally.
Hate or love Kubrick, the guy had fucking great taste when it came to interesting content.

General Turgidson is the embodiment of sexual frustration, and is aptly named, ‘buck’ a term used to refer to a virile male, and Turgidson, comes from the word turgid – Buck Turgidson is thus named for swollen masculinity. George C. Scott’s character portrays pent up sexual frustration on screen, bouncing around the War Room, and actually physically fighting with the Russian ambassador at one point. He is the most vocal in his support for Jack Ripper’s pre-emptive strike – an immediate need for action is what will grant him his release. Kubrick makes the point that the men in Dr. Strangelove were acting irrationally as a result of their repression, thus the importance of Dr. Strangelove is made clear. Kubrick made a film that attacked American society’s notions of sexuality in a time where these issues were not discussed; Dr. Strangelove attempted to bring these issues to the forefront, and wanted to demonstrate the impact repression of sexuality has on the actions of man.

wasnt the story that he basically played the part very seriously for each take. then he would do a joke take thinking it wouldnt be used. Kubrick exlusively used these joke takes. the madman...

>animals could be bred and SLLLLAUGHTERED