>Can't name one Jazz musician or Jazz genre
>Only listens to spotify Jazz mixes and shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/evDzBWnQcYY
youtube.com/watch?v=o661KZwx2JQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I like Sup Forums
>Can't make a decent thread

This is fine. Most normies go fucking bananas when they hear a saxophone.

>I like a genre

Wow ok nice fucking try I'm gonna need to see some proof

Since there aren't any jazz threads I guess I'll ask this
I downloaded Hawkins' Body and Soul and Parker's Yardbird Suite because they were recommended on the Sup Forums wiki as "essential bebop". However they're not what I was expecting, I thought bebop was much faster paced. Something like Coleman's Free Jazz though not necessarily so... free.
So what am I actually looking for?

You want to look for 'modal jazz' it was the precursor to the Free jazz era, and was awkwardly sat between hard/post bop and free jazz.

Hancock, Davis's 'kind of blue', Coltrane circa early 60's, Sanders, and shorter are all good places to start.

Also if you ever really want """free""" jazz, then look up Coltrane's album "offerings: live at Temple" and listen to the song 'crescent' it's painful to listen to in a good way.

>Davis's 'kind of blue
This isn't nearly as fast as Coleman's Free Jazz
All I want is an album with that fast tempo but more structured compositions

youtu.be/evDzBWnQcYY

YES, this. How should I go about searching for other similar stuff? What's this called specifically? Post-bop?

Nah, this album was recorded in '57 so other shit was going on, if you want fast, Bebop is probably your best way to go, or just 'swing'. You'd probably dig some of Charlie Parker's stuff like 'donna lee'. The thing is jazz is the genres are based more off of structure, so if you treat it like metal for example, where there's trash, speed, death, etc. You're not gonna find shit. So it just takes a lot of digging to find something you dig.

>listen to it again ?
>WHAT ?????
>THE WHOLE ALBUM ?????
>user its like an hour long
or/and
>why should I research the lyrics ?
>I can understand him just fine
>doesnt understand anything all metaphors go over his head

Older Michael Bay action scenes are usually complex set pieces

>caring about lyrics
Found the pleb

>When do the words start!?
>Ewww rock is racist straight white male music!
>Electronic music is not real music!
>I can't listen to a song that goes over 5 minutes.
>This is a banger track!
>I can't listen to anything that doesn't have machine gun hi-hat beats!

/thread

Honestly it's hard keeping up with the good stuff in jazz these days. It's easy to rag on pop for being obsessed with image, but jazz puts so little focus on it that it all blends together into Sax Guy #1 Trio and Piano Dude #2 Combo and Band #4080 plays Ellington with hip-hop influences. I honestly don't see the difference between actually combing through all the new jazz releases, and just putting on a Spotify playlist.

Jazz is too boring to actually remember any of the songs, but it's comfy for aesthetic.

t. Normy

you are looking for bebob yes, hard bop, post bop, whatever

not all bop is fast

Listen to Dizzy's Big Four for a good standard bebop album with a bit of a fusion sensibility

>I listen to everything except for country music XD

Anyone is allowed to go bananas with a good saxophone, dude.

What is a casual listener that likes a genre of music.

kys op.

When I first got into jazz, I was on the search for those lightning fast burners too. The other user's right. They're buried under each subgenre, because jazz subgenres are more about harmony. Bebop had more of a conservative harmony to it. Hard Bop was more based in blues. Modal was more exotic. Cool Jazz was somewhere in between, with more of a focus on laying back and "swinging" less. Post Bop combined all of them and more. Free Jazz is sort of a different realm though; it's more defined by lack of structure, to varying degrees.

Some guys who could really burn are Freddie Hubbard, Sonny Rollins and Max Roach.

You know what's even worse?
>best friend can't name any jazz musicians or subgenres
>claims that he has jazz influence in his guitar playing
>can't even solo because he doesn't know his scales
and I have to just keep my mouth shut and gently nudge him towards jazz because he gets easily offended when people imply he doesn't know shit, which is usually true

luckily i moved far away and i don't have to deal with him on a daily basis anymore

I mean, if you're playing 7ths and 9ths, you're basically playing jazz, right?

This is always a shame because there's a lot of good country music. And every time, if you pry them and start asking about the legends they'll say 'Oh yeah I like that stuff I just hate new country'.

I fucking hate this instrument, it sounds like absolute garbage, literally, like you just took some garbage and started playing it. What's the appeal? It has the least desirable sound I have ever seen. I can't believe someone would decide to play it out of their own will, just a meme propagated by music schools and other cucks who got cucked into playing this shit. Imagine someone trying to show off with this piece of garbage and he spews pure shit playing an """epic""" solo while people laught at him and/or awkwardly walk away covering thei ears. I always wondered what's connecting my 3 favourite albums... That's right, nobody shoved a shitty piss yellow instrument in it, thank God the people behind them got a genius idea to not ruin their release. The worst thing is that there are people that actually have broken ears and love this pile of shit, jazzfags need to die along with the old farts that still propagate this mistake of an instrument.

>Ewww rock is racist straight white male music!
No one has ever said this, not even SJWs

>pretending the lyrics don’t matter

Tryhard detected

You have issues man, stop always thinking everyone’s laughing at you.

>shitty piss yellow instrument
>saxophone, trumpet, french horn, cornet, trombone, tuba, sousaphone, flugelhorn, mellophone, euphonium, helicon and bugle all fall into this catagory

want to know how I know this is b8?

Jazz is a really old genre, older than rock. You have to read like 1000's books, listen to 1000 albums of black guys banging on drums like a monkey, and then develop a taste.

No wonder jazz guys are elitist

>watch an anime
>im a jazz expert now

youtube.com/watch?v=o661KZwx2JQ

>There are STILL newfags that can't understand what a pasta is
Some things never change.

Kids on the Slope and Cowboy Bebop have some pretty legit jazz and are also REALLY good, so no shame there.

>i'm gonna listen to put on some music
>loads up a youtube playlist

I think the worst one is
>Rock/Metal music is satanic and is made/listened by satanists

>this is boring

>I like jazz
>Mingus, Cal Tjader, Grant Green, and Coltrane
>Listen to Lo-Fi Hip Hop Beats Chill/Study 24/7 so I don't have time for listening to jazz
Get on my level plebs