This is Bowie's best album

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pl1xZIUK0Ew
youtube.com/watch?v=um05lJzXD0w
youtube.com/watch?v=oP4kna5zaOg&list=PLhChWmDcJDDX-eItw82wE8Lx3-QB5QSW5&index=10
youtube.com/watch?v=oFtNAXxwn-I
youtube.com/watch?v=k43Ssf9BJMw
youtube.com/watch?v=nArLuubNjKs
youtube.com/watch?v=z3qm2tTD_oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fmEnRtMaeCo
youtube.com/watch?v=10P7zqvRNDY
youtube.com/watch?v=6dPTKociZs0&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=zfwbRWMuNS0
youtu.be/jOmvhKzrcqc
illustrated-db-discography.nl/About.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=teO--o7T4GQ&list=PLhChWmDcJDDWSJDDGPXx4eZxFDc6wtG1x&index=14
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2nd best.
You were very close.

I wouldn't know, I don't listen to bowie

D A V I D .
One of his top 5 albums. The transition between Slip Away, though that particular song was the reason why I put the album down so many times, and Slow Burn is just amazing. The covers of I Took a Trip On a Gemini Spaceship and Cactus are great.
My personal favourite tracks would be 5:15 the Angels Have Gone and Afraid.
Also when he performed Low and Heathen:
youtube.com/watch?v=pl1xZIUK0Ew

I don't really get the love for Diamond Dogs.

Afraid is the best track on the album imo, also agree the transition from Slip away to Slow Burn is incredible

>I don't really get the love for Diamond Dogs.
I'll explain it then:

>His best vocal performances
>Tight as fuck concept (possibly tighter than Ziggy)
>Great funk instrumentals
>Excellent piano work from Mike Garson.
Just some of the reasons I like the album.

>His best vocal performances
Oh yeah especially the tracks Sweet Thing, 1984 and We Are The Dead (which is probably my favourite one from the album)
I agree on the theatricality of the album but I always felt that the tracks Rebel Rebel (great single but doesn't fit the album) and Rock & Roll With Me made it weaker.
>Excellent piano work from Mike Garson.
I can't really argue with that.
I just prefer Young Americans to Diamond Dogs.

It's really funny how he added Conversation Piece to the album. I think the only poor song on the album would be Everyone Says 'Hi'. Not including A Better Future because I feel like the lyrics are applicable to this decade too.

Looks like a half life poster

I like Everyone Says 'Hi', definitely not as good as some of the other songs on the album but I still enjoy it

definitely a great album

I don't think it's a bad song but just like a lot of other Bowie songs, Everyone Says Hi sounds way better for some reason when he performed it live.
youtube.com/watch?v=um05lJzXD0w
or maybe I have bad taste.

>Bad taste

Doubt it, keep posting rare Dukes

lol

I agree it sounds better live, most songs from Heathen do, wish I could've seen him, looks fun as hell

It's a great album, but his best albums are Tin Machine and Scary Monsters.

alright
youtube.com/watch?v=oP4kna5zaOg&list=PLhChWmDcJDDX-eItw82wE8Lx3-QB5QSW5&index=10

>I just prefer Young Americans to Diamond Dogs.
You see there's one big problem I have with Y.A.
A certain shitty beatles cover shoved right in the middle.

If you got rid of that track and put "It's Gonna Be Me" (the string version) at the end then you have a perfect album.

You don't like Bowie's Across the Universe?

I fucking hate it, dude. Ruined the album for me.
How he chose that over It's Gonna Be Me is still confusing to me.

I really like it but a lot of people seem to hate it.

I agree It's Gonna Be Me would've been a much better choice but I still enjoy Across the Universe

people always focus on early and mid bowie.
90's and late era bowie werent perfect but he made lots of great songs still

youtube.com/watch?v=oFtNAXxwn-I

youtube.com/watch?v=k43Ssf9BJMw

youtube.com/watch?v=nArLuubNjKs

youtube.com/watch?v=z3qm2tTD_oQ

youtube.com/watch?v=fmEnRtMaeCo

>sounds better live, most songs from Heathen do
that's 'Hours...' for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=10P7zqvRNDY

> got rid of that track and put "It's Gonna Be Me" (the string version) at the end then you have a perfect album
I agree with you on that one. Across The Universe should've been a bonus track.

well I still like John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)

Young Americans should have been a double album.

He should have taken the Lennon stuff, still finished with Fame, kept It's Gonna Be Me and thrown the last cuts off the Gouster that weren't already redone (Such as "I'm Divine" to "Somebody Up There Likes Me"), and especially the amazingly titled John, I'm Only Dancing (Again), and thrown it all in. It would have been perfect and there was absolutely the content to. Would've sold. Probably some record company thing preventing it, especially since that was in the waning days of Mainman, but still.

It makes a sad bit of sense; with Fame's inclusion, It's Gonna Be Me probably ran the album over. Plus, you know, you get one of your idols John Lennon in the studio to cover one of his famed Beatles songs and he says he likes yours better, well, you're probably going to want that on the album.

>90's and late era bowie werent perfect
For me, it was 'perfect'. Post Never Let Me Down Bowie did not let me down (including BTWN). I just hope that one day we get 2. Contamination
youtube.com/watch?v=6dPTKociZs0&feature=youtu.be

And the fact that he was performing songs again and not something like The Glass Spider Tour.
youtube.com/watch?v=zfwbRWMuNS0

you do have a point. I don't think It's Gonna Be Me completely ruins the album, it's just the position of the album that makes it a bit out of place.

It isn't because there's StS, Heroes and Earthling.
Heathen still one of the best, for sure.

>I don't think It's Gonna Be Me completely ruins the album

I'm going to assume you meant Across the Universe, and I will agree with you if so. Bowie very expertly arranged his tracklists, and ending on Fame was great, but knowing the process for YA and its transformation from the Gouster puts its tracklist in light. One of the most fascinating things from the Gouster "release" was seeing the original order and how it played different.

If you did mean that song, I don't either, I think it's beautiful. It's just back in the vinyl days with domineering record companies, they had very strict limits on runtime; It's Gonna Be Me is like seven minutes long, so was John (Again). It's entirely likely he might have wanted to keep it, but valued the sessions with Lennon enough he didn't want to have to hack the rest up, especially among the previously tumultuous recording process.

Should have been a damn double album. I still want Shilling the Rubes.

youtu.be/jOmvhKzrcqc

I did mean Across the Universe.

> I still want Shilling the Rubes
We won't get that or Blaze anytime soon.

>We won't get that or Blaze anytime soon.
One, why not?

Two, well that's something new. I don't know everything. What's Blaze? Far as I know there's only so much really, truly held back, not heard of that one yet.

Also, he looks incredibly blonde in that picture. I was never clear on this; was there a portion or Isolar he was full blonde, or is that just the lighting, occasionally? It always seems he kept the Thomas Jerome Newton hair, but it' less pronounced in some.

we got blaze though?

It's definitely the lighting but his hair colour was the same. He changed it only when he reached Berlin.

>What's Blaze? Far as I know there's only so much really, truly held back, not heard of that one yet.
Blaze was one of the five songs that were to be in the Blackstar album. It's rumoured to be the only optimistic one in the album. They also had the length of the Blackstar song reduced till 10 mins to fit the single criterion of iTunes. And I'm not talking about the other songs released in the No Plan EP. These were five proper songs that were supposed to be in the album.

Also we only got 1hr worth of The Leon Suites which are at least 22 hrs long.

And then Toy, but you've probably heard of it.

did we?

>Toy
Yes

>Incomplete Leon Suites
Yes

>Blaze
I recall this now. Odd that it's supposedly the optimistic one; in some sense, Lazarus is gallows optimism, but I get it. It's odd; I feel like Bowie, with his wealth of alternate takes and the like, always was limited by the length of albums. Not like Prince holding stuff back; like coming up with material and leaving it as a bonus or reworking it later. But that's interesting. I almost don't want those bits to be true, because I'd like to think we got Blackstar as it was all wanted rather than affected by industry politics.

Speaking of lighting, that's a huge fucking light behind him. I'm often surprised looking at pictures from that tour; it did use the fluorescent rig, same as Isolar II, with the lighting pads and all, but it seems to just disappear in some and you can only see the other cans. It's fascinating. Talk about unreleased material, I want a damn concert film of either just to see their technical merit; they seem brilliant, coming from a background in theater and lighting.

I'll continue about Blackstar here

>we got Blaze though
We didn't. The song title was confirmed, never released.

The songs that are still unreleased:

>Blaze
>When Things Go Bad
> Russian Black Man of Moscow
>Somewhere
>Wistful
>Duet with Lorde (Bowie recorded his vocals at least - confirmed by Donny McCaslin)
>Blackstar (full length 10+ minute version)

These were all confirmed in the Pegg book, so I'm sure that they have been verified and not complete bullshit.

Outtakes for Heroes and Low were never released but we do have that of Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - Strung Out on Heaven’s High (Scary Monsters Outtakes). Then there a few songs Bowie recorded in 69-71 like Life Is A Circus.

you should consult this for the other reissues and bonus tracks illustrated-db-discography.nl/About.htm

>Talk about unreleased material, I want a damn concert film of either just to see their technical merit; they seem brilliant, coming from a background in theater and lighting.

>it did use the fluorescent rig, same as Isolar II, with the lighting pads and all
It does look very similar.

I always loved the Isolar II Tour. Even the recordings of it look absolutely amazing,
youtube.com/watch?v=teO--o7T4GQ&list=PLhChWmDcJDDWSJDDGPXx4eZxFDc6wtG1x&index=14

>because I'd like to think we got Blackstar as it was all wanted rather than affected by industry politics.
Oh no, I don't think this was some sort of company issue. Blackstar, even with all of the tracks that we have now is still a heavy album. I'm sure that it went the way Bowie wanted it to go, or at least I hope so. It's just these extra songs that are missing.

Probably his most mature and sophisticated yes. Oh yeah my power ranking: Top 25 Bowie Albums:
1. Scary Monsters
2. Hunky Dory
3. Low
4. Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
5. 1.Outside
6. Blackstar
7. Station to Station
8. Diamond Dogs
9. Heathen
10. "Heroes"
11. Aladdin Sane
12. A Reality Tour *Live*
13. Young Americans
14. Man Who Sold The World
15. The Next Day + Extra (Special Edition)
16. Lodger
17. Buddha of Suburbia
18. Space Oddity
19. Cracked Actor *Live*
20. Let's Dance
21. Ziggy Stardust Motion Picture *Live*
22. BBC 2000 *Live*
23. BBC 68-72 *Live*
24. Stage *Live*
25. Reality

>and Earthling.
That's interesting. I love Earthling but why do you think it's one of his best?

Well, it's why it was a "II" instead of another name; he was still very Brecht-inspired to the time, to the point of famously doing the Alabama Song. If anything he just expanded on the concept. It does look gorgeous; even if they're on VHS masters, I'm glad we have digital copies of a couple Isolar II shows at all. I just want to see the fucking Diamond Dogs show for real some time.

Where are you pulling these pictures from, out of curiosity?

>he was still very Brecht-inspired to the time, to the point of famously doing the Alabama Song
don't forget the Baal EP. One of his best vocal performances.

> I just want to see the fucking Diamond Dogs show for real some time.
Me too buddy, and one of the '02 performances. Actually any Bowie performance is great.

>Where are you pulling these pictures from, out of curiosity?
Mostly just the ones that I find in Bowie articles/forums. But those of good quality are just scans from biographies/magazines etc. and like this one, from the booklets of the Box Sets