Villain reads/quotes the bible

>villain reads/quotes the bible

it's a trope that I actually like

reminds me of the greek tragedy, it's the chronological point where the bad guy is revealed beyond a doubt

often if seem to bring the "known and palatable" side of the villain with the "evil and hidden" side

I see it more as a structural fixture than just a cheap shot at Christians

Why don't we ever get any bible-quoting heroes?

Because the Jews wouldn't allow that

because the bible is about a terroristic jewish cult that kills entire tribes - men, women, children, leave nothing living.

would be good for a villain though.

*tipping intensifies*

Because the hero rarely needs to motivate his actions to the viewer, while the villain does. Making him quote the good book is a quick and easy way to add some depth to the character and hint that there's thought behind his action.

Or its a jewish conspiracy to make people associate the new testament with evil

because it would define them too narrowly

and it would instantly make a protagonist seem self-righteous, like said we traditionally get to know our heroes, there is a whole story to tell us about them
something so definite as a theological quote would be redundant or out of place

Because some guy saying "dude b nice to everyone and dont just give someone fish teach them to fish xD" doesn't have near the impact of a villain quoting any of the fire and brimstone from revelations.

The Bible qualifies as a classic work of literature, one that gives a number of philosophical assertions, theological arguments, useful parables, etc.

Even if you're an atheist, having a good understanding of the Bible is valuable and equitable with having a good understanding of other classics and important works from a variety of cultures and religions. Being knowledgeable in this respect is a decent indicator to the audience that the character is intellectual and well-read, which works well for villains and less well for heroes. People are fond of ostensibly intellectual villains that can reference ideas and works that actually exist to justify their actions or at least make them more superficially complex and morally gray. They're villains; they don't need to make the audience really care about them, they just need to capture the audience's attention and be sufficiently intimidating or alien, which works well when it comes to presenting a veneer of intellectualism (superficial or not) -- the normal moviegoer isn't an intellectual.

Even "genius" heroes like Stark from the MCU are really just quippy fuckers that occasionally spout some technobabble; they don't actually make any references to IRL literature, philosophy, physics/mathematics, etc., and that's important when it comes to the audience, as the majority of the audience are uneducated normies that need to relate to the protagonist and see him doing "cool" things.

>Even if you're an atheist, having a good understanding of the Bible is valuable and equitable with having a good understanding of other classics and important works from a variety of cultures and religions.

Very little of the bible is actually worth knowing.

I would say a brief snippet of the Proverbs for recycled sumerian parables, Jesus' sermon on the mount and Paul's Corinithian's "Love is patient" is all you need.

Everything else is just trash and done better by the greeks, especially in epic scope. There's just too much hatred in the jewish travels of terroristic invasions to really root for.

why are none of the replies to this question "we do"
i can think of way more bible quoting heroes than bible quoting villains

>implying that's all Jesus said

I saw The Crow for the first time last week.

The parts where they quote Edgar Allen Poe and John Milton were so cringeworthy.

There's much more to the study of religion and religious works (including the Bible) than you think, but I don't think I can sway you away from your current conceptions on the matter. Even the hatred in it that you decry is a small piece of a greater understanding of humanity.

You can summarize the anger of the jewish tribes and their angry god in a few sentences.

There's not a lot of character study.

Proverbs and Psalms are probably the only internalized pieces of the bible before the New Testament reboot. You can slowly see the Jews realizing that God doesn't exist when they say things like "I am worn out from my groaning." (Psalms 6:6).

So I actually take back my previous statement. Some portions of the bible are truly revolutionary in how they slowly pave the way for leaving god.

>villain reads/quotes the Quran

>villain quotes poetry

>Very little of the bible is actually worth knowing.

You obviously don't like the Bible, but it's the basis for western culture and portrays a great myriad of ideas and practices in a relatively short form. And you don't need to "root" for the Hebrews, it's not your capeshit movie. Hell, half the time the Hebrews aren't really portrayed in a way that would endear a modern audience, even their kings are extremely flawed and sinful.

unironically, name 1 (one) movie

real life

>two characters play chess as a metaphor to the events in question

>Real life (1979)
>Real life (1984)
i watched this movies last month, and there's no villain quoting or reading the Quran

and if you're talking about actual real life, that's not a movie.

that introduction was based

>character explains plan with chess

That's a flick at best.

>villain says "checkmate" to hero
>hero kills villain "I don't play chess."

>you might be a king but you're still just a playing piece

>hero gets dubs
>villain checks 'em

guess I'm a hero then

i can only think of pulp fiction and gabriel in twd rn but im sure there are more

>the villain did literally nothing wrong.

luke cage