D R E A M S

Is it too late to start learning drums at 22? My parents never approved of it but now I'm getting my own income and my own place to stay.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dAB6BHTAdXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's never too late

actually i'm thinking of getting one of those setups to do my own drum lines, i'm sick of having to depend on none dependable drummers for just studio shit. i'm one of thos arrogant fucks that thinks i can pretty much play anything. i just don't want the trouble of acoustic drums, so pain

just dont bother your neighbors and youll be fine

It's never too late but you certainly have scientifically proved advantage if you start anywhere before your mid-30's, earlier the better. Work on your speed and techniques as much as possible.

many of my friends that already master instruments like the piano or the guitar started out when they were like 8 years old, I feel dumb as fuck spending my time playing video games up until when I was 20

Sooner the better, then.

don't let that stop you. i'm living proof that everybody doesn't have to be a mozart. especially in rock n roll, god, i'm a part timer and i can be world famous in my town. fucking go for it, what do you have to lose?

I don't wanna be famous, I always listen to music and have been thinking for years "man how fucking cool would it be if I can play that drum loop"
how much do you make part-time? I'm not in it for the money (at least not yet) but I'm curious to know.

Better late than never!

Its never too late to start! I've been learning the drums for a year now and have been loving it ever since. Only advice is to have fun with it and don't annoy your neighbours. Also, I own that electric kit in the picture, and its a decent electric kit if that's what your planning on buying.

You can learn a new instrument or language when you are 80 too but as previously stated, learning anything before your midlife point hits is easier, your body and mind are more mallable and you can pick shit up with less repetition.
You'll have harder time becoming regular Tony Royester Jr., now that you you rather played vidya and your weewee instead practising jazz drumming but there nothing stopping you from becoming good, or even great besides lack of practice and discipline.(some restrictions such as mental illnesses, fixations on unconventional techniques and gimmicks may apply)

I'm not sure which one to get yet, but I'll be sure to pick one up for christmas

yeah I'll give it a go why not, I've played acoustic drums twice and I loved it though my leg stops working sometimes

Just starting myself at 19
Currently restoring a Pearl BLX three-piece I got from a studio, it was pretty beat up.
Also got an acro I need to clean up a bit and saving for a cymbal set.
Will be my first kit, very excited to get it done and actually play.
Money was always the roadblock for me starting drums.

You must be kidding, you can get competent on drums within a year.

Not just great for jamming out on but keeps you fit as well if you put some effort in.

I got my kit when I was 17, and could play well by 22. It's a matter of getting it and doing it.

It's all about having fun

get a practice pad and do it behind their back

I'm 21 and learned basic drums two years ago and now play in some open mics blind and do a decent job along with my own band who just got an A&R person from a known local indie label to come to our upcoming show.

Don't let your dreams be memes, but if you wanna start get a practice rubber pad and some drum sicks and start learn rhythms and keeping a consistent pattern with the sticks. It makes transitioning to a real kit much better, once you get the basics down put on some music with basic drum beats, get the headphones on and play along. Start with basic rock and pop and then keep going into more jazzy stuff that use more interesting rhythms and lo and behold you have yourself a decent repertoire of beats that you can transition to and from throughout any original song!

Go for it my dude

sorry i was asleep.

i don't make anything for my stuff, it's just my stuff. i pass it around. i was in it for the money when i was younger, evidently that didn't work because i became an engineer, not a rock star ha ha ha . if you're still here talk to me, it's fun. just ain't no money in it

waiting for next paycheck, then I'll go for it, don't think I can wait til Christmas

do you get paid well for open mics? this is one of the things where I have passion in it but 0 practice, could be good for side income as well

I tried learning guitar as an alternative but I just didn't dig it, I died at barre chords and now I'm picking it up again after 3 years of no practice.
i can tell how fun it would be, I heard Chocolate Buttermilk by Kool & the Gang back then and I was hooked on how that guy played the drums
youtube.com/watch?v=dAB6BHTAdXI

never too late. you're just not going to sound good till your in your mid 30s.

not that guy, but in my city, no one gets paid for open mics, usually there's a tip jar out. if you're a band hosting a jam session, then the house band makes the money and the tips. I would say don't even worry about making money until you can actually play a bit. there's always work for good drummers, if you're shitty, you might not get called to play. join cover bands cut your teeth there, learn how to play with other people.

Maybe if he's noodling 2 minutes a day instead of actually practicing, the fuck are you talking about

if you have a good teacher and practice around 5 hrs a day you can easily get good in a year.

hot damn 5 hours a day? that's pretty lengthy
i know guitar's optimum is 30-40 mins a day but 5 hours on drums?
I won't be getting a teacher as I'll be buying the thing itself and try out self learning and get some of my friends over to jam out and practice at the same time maybe once or twice a month.

it doesn't have to be all at once. Maybe a couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening. Or just do practice pad stuff at night.

thats absolutely retarded

a 22 year old with a GOOD ear could rustle up some fine chops on the drums within a year

maybe you just need to practice more, or listen to more music

if barre chords are too hard you're gonna have a bad time playing drum very long.