NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/starship-troopers-reboot-90s-sci-fi-paul-verhoeven-a7397066.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EBdk5hDadYE
youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI
youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let me guess, you're another one of those "hurr durr a remake/reboot ruins the original" faggot.

>Columbia Pictures is rebooting Paul Verhoeven's 1997 sci-fi Starship Troopers, The Hollywood Reporter has revealed.

Mark Swift and Damian Shannon, the writing duo behind the new Baywatch movie, have been pitched to pen the screenplay with the potential for relaunching Starship Troopers as a full-on franchise (of course). Fast & Furious' Neal H. Moritz is producing alongside Toby Jaffe, having previously collaborated on the studio's remake of Verhoeven's Total Recall (1990).

So many fucking remakes constantly.

If anything it'll be funny if it ends up being worse than the original.

Not that guy, but Starship Troopers is fucking fine. Hell, it looks better than most modern movies do, since they relied on actual props and sets rather than just doing everything in CGI

>having previously collaborated on the studio's remake of Verhoeven's Total Recall (1990)

It's going to be shit

Let me guess, you're another one of those "please, remake old movies, but add tons of minorities and empowered women to them"

What does that have to do with a remake/reboot? The original will always be there for you to watch it. You retards act like they're somehow going to erase the original from all of existence.

Not at all. I'm one of those "I won't watch it if I think it'll be crap" guys. The aren't forcing you to watch it and they aren't removing the original from existence.

tumblr pls go

Think they'll use actors who aren't shit, this time?

Pic related - even he has more charisma than Casper Van Dien, Patrick Muldoon and Denise Richards

Let me guess, you're one of those "I love it when Hollywood shits recycled content down my throat" people?

>Let me guess, you're another one of those "hurr durr a remake/reboot ruins the original" faggot.

faggot

Hate to break it to you, but every plot has been done before and has been getting recycled for decades. Love your hate of hollywood "recycling content" but not of independent & foreign companies that do the same thing.

Studios are wasting time, money, and effort into remakes of movies that do not need to be remade. This time, money, and effort could be used to instead create an original movie or series. Fuck, I'd rather they spend it on hookers and coke, at least then somebody will get some enjoyment from the money instead of fucking wasting it all on what will inevitably be a shittier movie.

Great. Maybe we'll a good adaptation instead of LE NAZIS ARE BAD MMKAY XD hamfisted "satire"

It'll be worse.
They'll remake Verhoeven's Starship Troopers without any of the fun.
You will never see a proper adaptation of Heinlein's book which would actually have a lot of minorities no?

Juan Rico in the book is Filipino

>original
As I posted above, there is nothing original anymore. Everything has been before and plots have been getting recycled for decades. Put yourself in their place. Even the greatest movies of all-time are adaptations or use shit that was done before.

>inevitable shitty movie
Cool opinion bro. Let's completely disregard remakes that were actually well received by the public at-large.

Good. The original is fun as fuck and will never be deleted from history, but it's good for being cheesy.

Now we might get a legit good book-faithful version of humans vs bugs. Rad Marauder and power armour battles against bugs. Might end being a good Imperial Guard vs Tyranids not40k movie, just like how Event Horizon is basically "What happens when you do a Warp Jump without a Gellar Field" movie.

There is nothing to lose from this. If it sucks, we just ignore it.

It's being remade into a franchise. Franchises are design to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Like a McDonald they are cheap, unsatisfying and unhealthy.

The movie that comes out will be a generic human vs bugs shooter. They could give it any other name but choose starship troopers to give it a pedigree and yet will ignore anything that makes it starship troopers.

I ain't mad, more cynically bored.

>Fast & Furious' Neal H. Moritz
Oh that's not good

>
>Hate to break it to you, but every plot has been done before
People who say this are retarded, two movies being about someone who's in love isn't equivalent to two movies called Starship Troopers with the same characters performing the same actions

>remaking the movie
>not readapating the book
how absolutely civilian

Remakes are simply lazy, and serve no one but millennials and retards who can't be bothered to watch the original because "it doesn't look pretty" or some other vapid reason.

For every successful reboot, there are at least 4 that were a complete waste of everyone's time and money.

It's always just some greedy cunt looking for a cheap handout, and morons like you give it to them.

Hollywood is forcing you to watch these movies?

Funny. I just found out those outfits were literally the ones from Starship Troopers. Power Rangers recycled costumes from Starship Troopers.

>fun
Who the FUCK said it's supposed to be fun?

is this one going to be at least remotely tied to the book?

they were then recycled in firefly as well

A faithful adaptation of the book fuck yea.

Why would that be bad.

Anyway they remake Starship Troopers every few years they can't do any worse than they already have.

>people actually want it to be like the book

just watch the first half of Full Metal Jacket on loop

I take it you've never read the book

>implying verhoeven didn't do this on purpose to make it more like a futuristic propaganda movie

did you even get the point of ST?

>The new film promises to go straight back to Verhoeven's source material, the 1959 novel of the same name by Robert A. Heinlein
sounds interesting but I won't be holding my breath

>Starship Troopers haters.

I really don't get it. It was one of the most inspirational influences on me. I think of it alot when I need determination.

I finished it 3 days ago actually. It's an assload of anti-Communist, pro-authoritarian propaganda with minimal plot thrown in. Every single person in the military is shown as a stoic, altruistic, fatherly paragon of virtue. Some ham-fisted just-in-times like the Dubois letter right as Rico is about to quit, etc just for us to be able to hear more of his infinite wisdom

tldr - it should have been an essay. I'm not even saying the message is 100% wrong, just delivered poorly

How do you know its not gonna be based on the book?

This is gonna be like the Dredd remake, but opposite.

>rebooting Paul Verhoeven's 1997 sci-fi Starship Troopers
rather than something like
>remaking Starship Troopers, first adapted by Paul Verhoeven in 1997

Have you read any other Heinlein books?

I could understand SJWs getting so butthurt about Starship Troopers if Heinlein was David Duke but he was an extremely progressive overtly feminist writer that got into the headspace of a Militaristic future for one (1) book.

He writes working class science fiction. The Joe on the ground. It's like getting upset that Starman Jones is so obsessed with Astro Navigation and his whole world revolves around it.

Johnny Rico is a soldier who lived and breathed that war. Heinlein contradicts half the Dubois retoric in other works.

A movie loosly based on the source material that is good on it's own merit versus a remake that is bad despite being faithful to the source material?

why should the author's background prevent me from criticising his work? You may say his views don't reflect the book's message but the fact is he only wrote it as an indirect response to anti-nuclear activists. It's very much allegorical and meant to represent a real world viewpoint

rather, i'm one of those "hurrr durrr the film industry must be about to stagger into its grave if all it can do is rework pleb-tier shit from the 90s."

seriously, are they too scared to make films based on new properties?

some heinlein fans make a big thing about how Johnny Rico was "black" but it never came up in the book. i guess in heinlein's mind being Sorta Rican counts as black.

>Why would that be bad.

because 2/3rds of the film would be Heinlein's right wing views. it'd be like being stuck in an elevator with Alex Jones for ninety minutes.

he also hated fags like Clarke
he's great

>some heinlein fans make a big thing about how Johnny Rico was "black"
>Filipino named Juan Rico
>black
who are these "fans" and how can they be this retarded

did you join the army because of it?

no. you didn't. you just fap to films like this.

i hope the bugs are portrayed as the good guys this time.

They are cultural appropriating black supremacists.

>it'd be like being stuck in an elevator with Alex Jones for ninety minutes

he hated Arthur C Clarke because Clarke pointed out that Ronald Reagan's "Star Wars" space-based laser missile defense initiative could not possibly have worked and was a massive waste of time.

heinlein thought we should get our asses into space using any excuse. he had almost as big a hard-on for the army as Hubbard had for the navy.

I don't give a fuck, obviously gonna be some PG-13 shit

>heinlein
>writer of the hippie novel and the libertarian manifesto

Like these guys?
youtube.com/watch?v=EBdk5hDadYE

Fucking Hollywood

>I can't think of anything original
>I know, let's remake [generic movie title]

fucking hell

it'll be shit if the guys behind Edge of Tomorrow aren't making it

>Why would that be bad.
The book has basically no plot, completely flat cardboard characters, and is mostly a boring presentation of shallow political ideas interspersed with mediocre sci-fi action.

Actually I did. I wouldn't say because of Starship Troopers though mainly being raised on WW2 movies and Band of Brothers.

That and i just LOOOOOVE tanks!

Thanks for asking.

Hating Starship Troopers because it's too right wing is a big redflag you may a numale.

>seriously, are they too scared to make films based on new properties?

Yes. Basically, there is no middle-ground. It's go big or go home world there.

Why not make a proper sequel? We all pretend the second one never happened anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

>Remakes are simply lazy, and serve no one but millenials
>Remakes have existed long before the first millenial was sperm in his father's balls

>IT'S A REMAKE OF VERHOEVEN
>IT WAS A REMAKE NO ONE ASKED FOR
>IT IS A REMAKE OF A FILM WHICH STILL STANDS UP REGARDLESS OF AGE
>IT IS A REMAKE THAT WILL DESTROY THE MASTERFUL BALANCE OF TONE THE ORIGINAL HAD

Swear this already fucking happened twice

because full MI suits would be way better.

Robot cop and Total Recall.

Don't remember those reboots? Good.

How will they fuck it up?

>Rico character is now black
>Carmen character leaves Rico for a black guy
>bugs are portrayed as noble creatures just defending muh homeland
>All high level ranking officers are evil white males who want to destroy the bugs "just because"
>Dizzy gets BLACKED by Watkins character
>Rasczak is now a strong, lesbian female who gets about in a wheelchair

>Total Recall

talk about ironic

>Rico character is now black
>Carmen character leaves Rico for a black
pick one

I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE REMAKING AT ARTFUL ALL TIME CLASSIC MASTERPIECE LIKE STARSHIP TROOPERS!!!! IS NOTHING SACRED???

>Pg-13

>LE NAZIS ARE BAD MMKAY XD hamfisted "satire"
people have literally been complaining for years because they thought the film was an ENDORSEMENT of fascism.

>not realizing those were just bullet point ideas for how they could fuck it up

I'm really not too bothered, I'm actually intrigued to see it. Not out of any excitement about the prospect - I genuinely consider ST among my favourite films - but like the Total Recall remake, I want to see just how serious and uncritical they can make a film of this type because you just know any and all of the subtlety is going to be removed in favour of a far more straight laced serious take and in doing so it's going to be hilariously bad.

>Fat and the Furious producer

Oh boy, can't wait for the inevitable scene where someone or something gets a makeover/improvement whilst that "HOW YOU LIKE ME NOW, HOW YOU LIKE NOW" song plays

Thread theme.
youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs

fuck i wish i didnt go to Sup Forums today

>now-jidf-cant-shitpost-any-longer.jpg
MEDIC

Yes. Anyway a movie based on bug perspective would make, at least, the premises for the remake good.

I mean I know it will probably be shit, but since I know a guy who is a hardcore fan of the books and thinks the movie didn't do justice to them, I'll be an idiot and try to believe they're doing this to make a closer adaptation.

With the original movie, Verhoeven wanted to do something similar to what Kubrick did with Dr. Strangelove, to take a serious book and to turn it into an involuntary comedy, by depicting all the patriotism of the book in a grotesque way, but the experiment failed, Verhoeven had the talent to do it, but he lacked the great actors like Kubrick had, furthermore, the producers understood his agenda and imposed to him to focus on action, because their target were the kids.
Alejandro Jodorowsky liked this movie, because in the efforts of Verhoeven he saw his own misfortune with the project of Dune.

Anyway, Straship Troopers was a bad movie, a straightforward and predictable CG fest loosely based on the original source.
I don't think that the remake will be better, maybe they will show the Bugs as the high-tech race that they are in the book, but I bet that the Skinnies will be scrapped again.

I'm pretty sure Verhoeven just wanted to make an Aliens parody and called it Starship Troopers because of some similarities

>argentinian character is now black
so they're fixing it

The book suggest that he's asian in origin, maybe filipino, he says something about returning in Manila.

>Imperial Guard
>Using power armour armed with every weapon under the sun
kys