youtube.com/watch?v=wCIrPJ6SBl4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cyberpunk, rest is memes

>not into dieselpunk
the only meme here is you

>one subgenre that's prevalent and actually fairly likely to become reality
>one impossible subgenre that's "quirky con girl" tier
>two bullshit subgenres that nobody has ever heard of and probably have one e-book to their name

fpbp

this

the other three aren't even punk, they're just called that in an attempt to jump on the cyberpunk bandwagon

Pretty sure raypunk is just a dumb way of referring to retro-futurism, like Jetsons-type shit

examples of diesel, steam and raypunk?

Dieselpunk: Mad Max
Steampunk: Howl's Moving Castle
Raypunk: The Fifth Element

Cyberpunk my man. Not only is it the viable, it's happening before our eyes right now.

The other three are just fiction genres.

One could make an argument for Mad Max, but the other two aren't punk at all. The reason Cyberpunk has the word "punk" in it is because it actually has elements of punk culture in it. Steampunk and Raypunk are misnomers, nothing more

Blade Runner is NOT cyber punk.

>implying 19th/20th century wasnt diesel/steampunk af
but yeah we're heading fast towards cyber

Well, we'll be experiencing Diesel Punk for real if Shillary wins and starts WWIII.

It has cyberpunk elements, but yeah I wouldn't classify it as a "cyberpunk film"

I could never place FFVII's aesthetics. Felt like a strange mix between Diesel and Cyber, a movie with that could be pretty cool.

Depends on where you're at. If you're stationed in a big city hub especially known for it tech prowess, it's going to ultra cyberpunk.

Warfare has been rapidly shifting into the digital space in the last couple decades, and information warfare will be what determines the winner or loser of a war in the future. There will still be actual combat battles on the ground, but there is now a new element introduced into warfare. Technology.

/thread

>diesel
Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow
>ray
Flash Gordon
>steam
maybe some H.G Wells adaptations, Wild Wild West

Barstow, so Mad Max future for me...

this desu, if it's not edgy it's not *genre*punk. Even cyberpunk got it's first real start with Neuromancer, which is literally about broke drug addicts who rob giant companies and blow people's heads off

Cyberpunk is just as much a meme, it's just the oldest meme up for grabs.
The cyberpunk fad started on the first page of Neuromancer and ended on the last.

I should add, think of it like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Disinfo and mass information transit everywhere, yet there were still classical warfare tactics, like the Belltower operatives in Ausfailia, and the PMC black sites.

>refers to any non-historical setting as 'punk'

I like all fo them except steampunk, but I've never seen a dieselpunk movie. Sounds comfy desu.

But it's not a meme in the way that user means a meme.

"Cyberpunk" means literally just that: cyber & punk. It's about punks in a cyber environment, where "punks" are people fighting against "the system".

"Steampunk", "Dieselpunk", etc. aren't about punks, therefore they're meme genres that use the "-punk" suffix to describe an aesthetic rather than a narrative similarity. """Raypunk""" is especially egregious because it already has a real name: pulp sci-fi. At least you can argue steampunk and dieselpunk need those names to describe themselves.

road warrior
thunderdome
fury road

>At least you can argue steampunk and dieselpunk need those names to describe themselves.
Not even that. Steampunk is just Victorian sci-fi and what people call dieselpunk is post-apoc 90% of the time.

A meme is a meme is a meme
Nitpicking over the classifications of such a limp subgenre is a waste of time

>say something stupid
>get schooled
>"MEMEMEMEME"

>cyberpunk
Blade runner, Ghost in the shell
>dieselpunk
Dredd
>steampunk
wild wild west (lack of better example)
>"raypunk"
BattelstarGalactica? most scifi shows?

Hardware for diesel

is this dieselpunk?

Final Fantasy V and VI closer to steampunk

nigga you pretentious af

>Steampunk
Futuristic 1800s-1910s, but some medieval fantasy is also this.

>Dieselpunk
Futuristic 1920s-1940s

>Atompunk
Futuristic 1950s-1960s

go back to Sup Forums faggot

it's a movie retard

is it good?

Steampunk is cool but Cyberpunk seems like the only Punk I could find myself actually living in.

>Cyberpunk
Works best in movies/tv
>Dieselpunk
Works best in vidya
>Steampunk
Pretty much never works and is for autists
>Raypunk
Isn't really a thing but that aesthetic is best for comic books

Am I correct?

yes

If you like Escape From NY you'll enjoy Streets of Fire, very similar movies. It takes place in a dystopian 1950's city where a guy comes back from some way and has to rescue his ex-gf from a biker gang. Willem Dafoe is the main villain

*comes back from some war*

Fallout: The Movie.

OP and ED songs are god tier.

TONIGHT

TONIGHT

TONIGHT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE YOUNG

TONIGHT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE YOUNG

youtube.com/watch?v=wCIrPJ6SBl4

No, Raypunk would be like Futurama. Fifth Element is a light hearted Cyberpunk. It even has Brion James, the guy who played Leon in Blade Runner, as a goofball General who Bruce Willis works for.

>Am I correct?
no
CB best is anime (gits, tons of others)
DP best in movie (madmax, dredd)
SP best in vidya (final fantasy)

>tfw no neon-soaked cyberpunk action heist flick scored by Perturbator and Mega Drive

>Dieselpunk

Works just fine on tabletop, too.

Dieselpunk.

Not really. Don't bother. It's obnoxiously loud and overacted while being unfunny or overly suspenseful. Action isn't too good either.

whats good nuke-punk or atom-punk>

im talking stuff taking place in the 50s but with way better technology than they had

like x men first class or cod black ops 1

love raypunk aesthetics when watching things like Star Trek TOS, but any modern attempt to replicate it is super cringey and overly self aware

>x men first class
>50s
niqqa are you retarded?

Is dieselpunk even a genre? In urban settings it is basically steampunk without the fun steam powered mechanisms and you would have the stretch the definition pretty far to span world war 1 to the near future

Buyashock 1&2

Someone needs to add Biopunk to this. Can't think of too many examples, but Existenz seems to fit the bill.

>>dieselpunk
>Dredd
no that's also cyberpunk you fucking idiot.

Cyberpunk is great but overdone.

Dieselpunk is best.

Steampunk has a nice aesthetic but a terrible, terrible fanbase.

Raypunk is just retro sci-fi.

Cyberpunk is the present, user.

I fucking hate autistic people like that

cyberpunk is becoming as big of a meme as steampunk sadly, but it's still my pick

dieselpunk is too manly 4 me
never heard of raypunk outside of this picture

Pls give me diesel punk

What do Space Westerns fall into?

Fucking this. Steampunk is meme garbage, no one cares about Dieselpunk or Raypunk.

Cyberpunk. Steampunk can be cool if it's done well and isn't taken overboard.

You shut your faggot mouth, steampunk is laso punk

You mean apart from The Guest?

At a stretch, "Colossus: The Forbin Project".

9 is the best dieselpunk

Fifth element is sci-fi / space operish

this

Fucking why are there so many people itt that think that dieselpunk = post apocalypse?

It just lends itself to that setting

Fallout has elements of all of these its

Dieselpunk is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

>Dieselpunk draws its inspiration from two related sources: the diesel era and a characteristic referred to as "decodence."According to the web site The Gatehouse, decodence (a portmanteau of "deco" and "decadence"), "embraces the styles and technologies of the era; it rejoices in a prolonged Jazz Age ambience characterized by great enthusiasm and hopes about the future."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieselpunk

No, I mean something that's actually set in the future in a big city. Something like Heat or Ocean's Eleven set in the world of Blade Runner

How has nobody mentioned Strange Days yet?

OK, yeah that would be really nice as well.

>people think cyberpunk will actually happen

dieselpunk, with cyberpunk very close behind, then raypunk. steampunk is lame

>Raygun gothic is now raypunk
>World War Weird/Pulp is now dieselpunk

I want you all to die.

topkek maymay newfag xDD