How come we get almost no 2D animated movies these days...

How come we get almost no 2D animated movies these days? 2D animated movies were a wonderful part of my childhood that I still have fond memories of, but today we only get shitty, generic 3D animated movies (with a few exceptions, of course). What happened? Is this a Jewish agenda or something?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eRl2OlyNMuc
cupheadgame.com/
youtu.be/AWMyKZyIFnA
youtube.com/watch?v=WKfezlko_rE
youtube.com/watch?v=R_pC7xS1hfg
youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

2d animation is a pain in the ass

>this
i was an animation student. too much work drawing every frame. 3d moddels are way easier to work with

But muh childhood.

Aw you didnt like zootopia?

Didn't watch it. And no, I didn't watch the Angry Birds movie either (in case you were going to ask me). And yes, I already know that the Angry Birds movie is supposedly red-pilled (in case you were going to tell me).

>This

People are lazy shits and dont want to make anything with quality. why do you think Japanese anime has become so degenerate? Its easier to plaster moe girls then actually draw people.

Pretty sure it was the first Toy Story movie that kicked off the 3D bullshit. There's the culprit.

I miss it, even the crappy movies were still enjoyable when I was a kid. I never liked the 3D animated stuff it was a novelty at the time but I always preferred the hand drawn stuff

2D takes too much time

I just wish more 3d films looked like this youtu.be/eRl2OlyNMuc

I thought this was hand drawn, I wouldn't mind 3D animation like that. I've fapped to this video so many times

This is why the quality of my Chinese cartoons has gone downhill over the past few decades. Damn lazy Nips.

>I thought this was hand drawn

It's a hybrid. I really like it.

>I've fapped to this video so many times

OK

Because people are lazy. 2D>3D

>2D>3D

This. So much this. Cartoons shouldn't look realistic, that's why they're cartoons for fuck's sake.

it has more ro do with money. 3 seconds of detailed 2d animation can cost 4000 dollars.

3D animation is mostly a (long) fad, in my opinion.

2D as an artform still appreciated by many and may well come back.

I for one am a big fan and hardly watch any 3d animations.

This. I can have a model rigged, weight painted, textured, and moving in half a day. 6 hours if I don't have to paint the cunt.Do you know how long drawing takes?

Forgot pic.

You nostalgia fags need to die. Honestly

I completely agree with you, Based Eestibro!

Why not just have the 3D models used to make a 2D movie?

i know mang. and you're forgeting layout, background, colour. animation is a bitch

>You classical music fags nostalgic fags need to die, honestly. Listen to some Justin Bieber for ffs, it's so much easier and cheaper to make.

high quality 2D animation take too much time to make

you can get same result but shorter time to finish if you animate it in 3D

Even 2d Animation tends to look cheap and soulless now thanks to the switch to digital

hand drawn animation is a dead artform

good hand-made 3d animation is just as hard and time consuming as good 2d animation, cuck.

Yes, good artisan work takes time and skill. That is why people think 3d cgi animations are pretty shitty compared to even bad 2d

Like if you are a 90s baby? xD

>3D
>A fad
Sorry Estonia, it's not. 3D is leagues cheaper, taught more, and has more applications than just art (think skeletal reconstructions). A majority of 2D today is just flash garbage, moving around paper puppets.

Pic related is actually 3D, and most people barley know the difference. It's only going forward.

because it looks like shit most of the time. watch appleseed ex machina or any movie from the early 2000s for than matter. things like cars,space ships are all 3d moddels and the look like an aspherger shat baby food on tracing paper

Not really. If you have a model rigged up really well, then simply moving the bones will give you an animation that looks better than 2d animation that took 50x the time to do.

but user we get one every year
we got
My little Pony Equestria Girls
My little Pony Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks
My little Pony Equestria Girls: Friendship Games
and we get to see
My little Pony Equestria Girls: Everfree forest'n shieet
next year the pony movie with actual Ponie and ponie plot

get hyped nigger

its not the same though. archer is good but its lacking, the animation isint vibrant and you cant get movement like you can with a real 2d animation

>draw a character frame by frame for every movement
or
>draw character once and make it editable in a program

it´s called progress , nobody wants to do such incredibly exhausting art anymore you dindu.

if you miss it so much , revive it by becoming an artist and study , draw hard or stfu and let the people who know these things 10times better do their job with a less stressful more productive way.

thanks to 3d rendering and CGI all that , a lot more can be accomplished in way less time -
which means more animes , more movies , more stories for you to enjoy.

sometimes i swear /polacks/ are full pants on head retarded when it comes to anything.

no wonder everyother board laughs at us.

I still like clay-mation and stop-motion 3D animation, like Fantastic Mr Fox or The Nightmare Before Christmas. That stuff still has a lot of soul to it.

Sup Forums is to Sup Forums what germany is to the world

Nah, 2d animation is imperfect and that makes it good. I personally think a 3d->2d workflow is what the future will be. I really love rotoscoped animations, they are both fluid and imperfect at the same time, awesome.

The MLP movie is going to be 2D next year

i agree completely with you , i hate my country and am going to flee given i survive.
not a day goes by that i dont fear for the life of my mother who has to travel via train everyday to work and these terrorist attacks and suspected hit on berlin taking hundreds/thousands of lives doesn´t help it.

but on this site we are one , and you can´t blame us german citizens for anything that is happening.

nobody wanted this.
we are just an extended american land governed by zionists.

if you want to hate anyone , hate those in charge responsible while putting us in chains and sending us off to jail if we act up.

you are not a stupid person i think , us german citizens have little to nothing to do with refugees , the past and the future.

we are just pieces on a chessboard , expendable which they are doing right now but not every thread has to be about happenings.

also watch yourself cause i´ve relatives in ireland and i might come over and just drink with you faggot.

True, Archer isn't as dynamic as other shows, but that doesn't mean the animation is simplistic.

You can have 3D shows with a 2D-ish look, or at least cell shading, with more dynamic movement. They don't even have to be big, Hollywood productions.

Isn't mlp just flash animation? Also CN and Disney shows, it sucks. The art styles look almost identical

cupheadgame.com/

really excited for this game, just for the animation choice if nothing else

It may be taught more, but that's not really indicative of what future might bring.

My problem with 3d animation is that it's trying to be movie-realistic, but doesn't quite reach that level. At the same time, since it's still trying to be realistic, it loses touch with freedom of creativity.

It's like those faddy artists who paint photorealistic paintings. Okay, that's cool, but you may as well take photographs then, if all you want to achieve is realism without being realistic.

It will get money and clicks, but probably no legacy. Who will remember the run of the mill pixar movie of today in 60 years?

Most people still know Tom & Jerry episodes by heart from 60 years ago.

Why not 60fps, makes no sense. It's not gi, at least render it at 60fps.

i have family in germany and i worry for them every fuck second of every day. they live in a turkish neigbourhood in klön. cant wait untill you fucks are applying for asylum here
>german refugees welcome

Me too. I fucking hate animation now after having to deal with shitty Flash.

I'm not an expert of the subject, but aren't those animated with Flash®?

archer is nearly always in one shot facing the forward. its like watching a medevil puppet show

You seen this yet? Looks badass.
youtu.be/AWMyKZyIFnA
>tvw it's gonna flop.

3D animation is exactly like claymation. You have to do move everything manually and dick around with motion splines.

I don't know how anyone has the patience for that shit.

>Lel I'm an artist and too lazy to sculpt shit out of stone. I'll just whip something up on a computer n 2 hours and 3d print that shit.
>it's progress bro.

>I still like clay-mation and stop-motion 3D animation, like Fantastic Mr Fox or The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Claymation and stop-motion 3D animation are definitely good.

>That stuff still has a lot of soul to it.

Yeah, it seems like the classic 2D stuff was made with a lot more love and passion than most of the 3D shit they churn out these days. The classic 2D stuff was made with the goal of not only making money but also telling a good story, today the 3D stuff seems like it's only about making money without trying to tell a good story (with some exceptions, obviously). There are things that 2D animation can do that 3D animation can't do and there are things that 3D animation can do that 2D animation can't do, so it balances out I guess. Still, I think that present-day animated movies should be mostly 2D. Leave 3D stuff mostly to video-games.

god forbid you click the mouse more than once in the space of a second. that shit'll crash like a german blimp

That looks fucking terrible.

It's literally like a nintendo gamecube cutscene or something.

>Nah, 2d animation is imperfect and that makes it good

THIS

MOCAP
O
C
A
P

I do miss god tier hand-drawn cel animation. That shit was gorgerous.

Sculpters are the worst artists though. They're like carpenters with a god complex.

did you know the iron giant is based on a picture book from the 40's?

3D is horrible.

I still remember watching Peter Pan in 2D

animation is boring.

mocap and interpolation, that's why it looks worse than anything else

it's too easy and artists get lazy because of that

did you know vin diesel did the voice of the giant?

>Nah, 2d animation is imperfect and that makes it good.

THIS. THIS SO MUCH.

I read the book back in 4th grade. Fucking weird. It had dragons and bathtubs and melted ears and was just strange. One of the only book-to-movie examples I can think of where the movie was better.

it has a completely different feeling to it though. I watch absolutely 0 3D animated anythings because they look like shit.

I still watch all traditional 2D shows like American Dad & Adventure Time.

Different audiences for different styles.

So it's not about time it's about money. Cheaper to do 3D because it's less work, therefore less money. Penny pinching jews in Hollywood is the answer

the book is amazing man. a lot of the notable scenes in the movie are sketched out in the book. Instead of the nuke he fights a space alien and then gets rewarded shit to eat.

didn't know that

This post is very telling of the utter cultural death most of the world is experiencing. There is no appreciation for beauty or effort, only the quantity of escapist media you can shovel into your brain. People do not even think in terms of the former anymore, as you demonstrated. Of course I can make more of it, for cheaper, it must be better. Watching one of Disney's old shorts (before Jews took over his company, anyway) is more fulfilling than thousands of hours of average modern animation.

Good CGI can look very good, but takes the same kind of effort hand drawn animation does. The bulk of it does not even try.

It's a stop-motion. Look at the string at 1:46.

How is disney going to make cafuckingjillion dollars on horrible "super realistic" 3d animated movies with their monopoly if people discover 2d movies are better and easier to make?

For anyone thinking about the game posted here, cupboard something.
It's not only good because of the animation, it's also good cause its a metal slug clone.

its easier to animated 3d. you make the models and textures then you can just do motion capture for like 90% of it

2d is all slowly drawn by people. i prefer 2d animation personally but i understand its sort of dead in the west

There's no stop motion in 3d. They may or may not have done every frame individually on the scene you're point out, but most of the scenes are interpolated with a few keyframes.

The dragon was weird though. He came all the way to earth, took a big ol' shit on Staya, and basically said he was going to eat everyone.

Then he got his continent sized ass kicked by a little tin man with a bath tub, all because of a bet. 9 year old me was confused. Not a bad book, just strange.

That robots a 3D cgi character

>This kind of animation is almost a lost art form.

I think the movie will use ToonBoom

>What happened? Is this a Jewish agenda or something?

>3D movies are a jew agenda

haha what?

Came here to say this but triple dubs beat me to it. Computer animation was used quite heavily in Iron Giant.

Beautiful post. I can't agree more.

Everything is part of the Zionist master plan. Fingers in every pie.

>Why no 2D anymore?
Shekels my friend. 2D animation is very labour intensive. You need hundreds of animators drawing each cell over a long period of time. And even with digital colouring, that too takes a lot of time.

Japan gets around this issue by simply treating their animators like shit. They don't earn a minimum wage, they get paid based on how many cells they make that day. Which is why there are often these scenes of a still image with just a camera panning over it. Just to save time and money.

Some TV shows like Simpsons and the like, outsource their animation to South Korea, again as a cost saving measure. But yet again, they too have been reducing actual animation quality in an effort to save time. (We have probably all seen the infamous image comparing animation in the intro alone).

Once South Korea becomes too expensive to outsource animation to, you will probably find them outsourcing to China instead.

There are some bright sparks working on creating software that can make 2D animation of similar quality to Disney's greatest works, while still being affordable. But whether that ever takes off fully is yet to be seen.

There's SO much more heart and personality in that 2D animation than there is in most 3D animations today. We ought to keep 2D alive. 2D is a magnificent art-form.

Is this chinese imageboard part of the master plan?

Flips made some full-lenght animated movies back in 2008, and I guess they could make more

youtube.com/watch?v=WKfezlko_rE

youtube.com/watch?v=R_pC7xS1hfg

Fun thing to know is that most 2D animation movies that has been made had alot of outsourcing going on in the Philippines

3D animation is easier to do compared to 2d hand drawn animation, it like comparing a SFM animation to something like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU
>it took him 3 years to do this

weird how they were able to do it in the past and now they can't

>completely distinct styles
>nostalgia
That's like calling metalheads nostalgiafags because they don't listen to country.

Oneyng?

Is this made by hand? That's amazing.

Well it depends. Lots of old 80s Jap TV shows have pretty bad animation. Big budget OVAs and movies were beautiful though (thanks to the strong economy).

i watched the re-edit of this. it was fucking weird i didn't like it. i'm not trying to trip out watching a simple cartoon.

I completely agree with you, Based Ameribro.

RARE
ARE
RE
E
Considering Sup Forums actually has dedicated FBI agents, Hillshills, and JIDF agents, I'd say yes.

A volatile part, but essential nonetheless.

>It's like those faddy artists who paint photorealistic paintings.
Oh I see. We got ourselves one of these modern art fag that think throwing some paint on a canvas takes more skill than it does to capture reality.

what use to happen in the old school days is you'd draw it on paper. stack them toghter and flick them really fast infront of a camera

Some of those human animations are wonky. This isn't anime is it? Because it doesn't feel like it was made in Japan. It feels like an imitation of Japanese animation. Possibly France? I know the French tried to emulate anime for decades now.

>american
>complaining about a natural development under capitalism

>yfw this gif took 800 man hours to make