Informative Death Thread

Informative Death Thread

1/44
Lividity, or livor mortis, represents the postmortem settling of blood within the dependent skin, due to gravitational forces. Note that areas of skin exposed to pressure do not develop lividity estimate the postmortem interval, but such estimates are typicallynot very helpful.

2/44
Most bodies that have been stored for some time in a morgue show posterior lividity.
Impressions from clothing and other objects may be seen.

3/44
Impressions from a tied bow can be seen causing patterned blanching on the abdomen.

4/44
Impressions from a brassiere can be clearly seen causing patterned blanching of the chest. Although it had been removed by police at the scene blanching from a cigarette lighter can be seen on the left breast (arrowhead).

5/44
Blanching had occurred under the elastic band of underpants with lividity marking the elevated writing of the manufacturer’s name.

6/44
This man died facedown, lying atop his hand. Note in the next image how the blanched area corresponds to his hand.

7/44
Most epileptics who die unexpectedly are found facedown, raising the possibility of asphyxiation being involved in the mechanism of death. In the case shown there is intense anterior lividity with blanching of the face and abdomen, as well as the skin under the hand.

8/44
Movement of the hand in a young male who died facedown, demonstrating blanching of the skin under the hand due to compression of small vessels that prevented the accumulation of blood.

9/44
A variety of factors may result in different appearances of the colour of lividity . In this case, note the different colors of the lividity on the upper back. These differences are likely the result of subtle environmental changes after death, such as lying on an EMS backboard in the emergency department for several hours, and then being transferred to the morgue cooler.

10/44
Is anyone reading these?
Occasionally skin that is being compressed will blanch and then dry out. This is called parchmenting and can be seen under a sweater in the figure. It is a typical finding under ligature marks in hanging deaths.

11/44
If a body is in full rigor mortis, the presence of ‘‘inappropriate’’ rigor mortis may indicate that thebody has been moved. This woman obviously did not die in this body position.

12/44
The original body position of the woman depicted in the previous image is shown. The death investigator rolled her body onto her back in order to illustrate the fact that she was in full rigor mortis.

>Anonymou
yes what is this

Now watch me whip...

13/44
Slight corneal clouding noted in a decomposing body

14/44
The dark discoloration of the sclera (the white part of the eye) is a common early postmortem change, known as tache noire.

15/44
One of the earliest signs of decomposition is green discolouration of the lower right abdominal quadrant (arrow)

16/44
As decomposition proceeds, marbling of the skin may become more apparent.

17/44
More advanced marbling can be seen on the right shoulder and chest.

Awesome, op. I'm feverishly refreshing the thread.

coool

18/44
Skin blistering is another common change early in the decomposition process.

19/44
Extensive skin blistering with fluid accumulation on the side of a markedly putrefied corpse.

20/44
Skin slippage can also occur relatively early in decomposition.

21/44
Purge fluid is frequently expelled from the mouth and nose.

thanks OP, I find all this very interesting.

22/44
As decomposition continues, the body begins to bloat, and the skin becomes darkened. Note the dark discoloration of the lips.

Don't know what to say, but interesting thread op

23/44

Swelling of the scrotum and abdomen occurs with putrefaction as gases accumulate from bacterial action. Numerous maggots can also be seen on the surface of the body.

24/44
Putrefaction with skin slippage is also associated with loss of hair.

>purge fluid is frequently expelled from the mouth and nose
> frequently
This is educational, I imagine it's like having a human fountain

25/44
Advanced decomposition is characterised by an extremely bloated, greasy, and darkened body.

>24/44
>Putrefaction with skin slippage is also associated with loss of hair.

Aaaaaand I'm done

Who /mortician/ here?
>tfw embalming a qt 3.14

26/44
An example of a body demonstrating relatively advanced decomposition, with bloating, skin discoloration, and abundant purge fluid.

I am. Morbidly interesting medical shit is cool.

OP, how does it smell and at what time is the smell at it's worst?

27/44
Bulging of the eyes, lips and face, with protrusion of the tongue, all related to decomposition.

Neat

28/44
Postmortem fire ant bite marks, with no evidence of a vital tissue reaction

Kek

29/44
Multiple areas of superficial skin loss on the flank of a drowning victim due to postmortem sea lice activity. It is important not to mistake these lesions for antemortem injuries such as abrasions

why the fuck this shit do that

OP, how come the bodies get the chance to decompose this much? Shouldn't they be disposed of quicker?

OP, this is awesome
Thank you for the knowledge
Medical fascination is the best fascination

30/44
Rodents such as rats and mice tend to concentrate on the soft tissues of the fingers, toes, and the tip of the nose. Bites can be recognized by the paired grooves from the upper and lower incisors and can be seen here on the side of a finger. Postmortem injuries are usually characterized by a lack of blood, although dependent body parts may passively exude blood from postmortem wounds. Occasionally such injuries may occur before death in an unconscious individual. This has been termed the Popiel phenomenon, after a mythical Polish king who was devoured by rats. In these cases a vital reaction may be seen microscopically. This consists of an infiltrate of inflammatory cells in the tissues

31/44
Domestic pets, such as dogs, will sometimes feed on a dead body, with large portions of soft tissue being removed

32/44
Early postmortem predation by a dog with bite marks evident at the edge of the soft tissue defect

Eugh, that's quite a fucking sight.

Interesting. Thank you op.

>how come bodies decompose so fast
Gut bacteria turns against you and digests the surrounding tissues extremely fast, there's alot of it within the body that goes unchecked when you die.

33/44
Cats may also devour the soft tissues of the face, neck, and hands after death

34/44
If flies are present in the local environment, they will lay eggs on the body, often in or near body orifices such as the nostrils. Multiple brown spots on the skin surface have been produced by flies and are not blood spatter

what the fuck was that gore website from like the 90s or something. I recognize some of these pics.

35/44
An adult fly on a decomposing body. Flies are known to lay eggs on dead bodies within minutes following death

Seriously why do the animals always go for the face first it seems?

this is a fascinating thread

Miscounted, skipping one.

37/44
In dry conditions bodies will dry out and mummify, with the skin becoming leatherlike. Here, drying of the fingers and hand can be seen

10/10 thread OP

Please keep going,i'm learning a decent amount.

Rotten?

Hopefully my body is six feet under before it looks all fucking necrotic negro jabba the hut.

Whoops. Was supposed to be:
>Extensive maggot activity on the face of a decomposing man

38/44
In dry conditions bodies will dry out and mummify, with the skin becoming leatherlike. Here, drying of the fingers and hand can be seen

39/44
Mummification of the toes and feet

I was eating rice when you posted this.

Im reading it

40/44
Another example of ‘‘mummification’’

being afraid of death sucks :/

41/44
Mummification of the internal organs with dehydration. Drying of blood vessels and body cavities may make toxicological analysis difficult

You got nobody but yourself to blame

I am morbidly curious. Keep posting.

42/44
Multiple colonies of fungal organisms can be seen growing on the surface of this body

Probably because it intimidates them

Looks like a fuckin' feral ghoul.

Continue on user.

thats it. thanks

So desiccation of a corpse is a semi effective method of hiding poisons? You say difficult but would it be effective enough to dramatically extend investigation?

43/44
Fungal colonies growing on the face of a decomposing corpse

Wew

So many answers to questions I never knew I had. Fuck man

44/44
In damp and cool conditions adipocere may develop. The thigh of this drowning victim has been converted to adipocere.
This is a malodorous greasy breakdown product of fat that is also known as grave wax.

outside of a body farm how often would you see any of these stranger conditions?

>not very helpful
especially when you're dead

This image reminds me of someone...

Erm, why do you ask?

cool, thanks for the thread op
been lurking all this time
going to sleep now
good night

>also known as Grave Wax
My next metal band name

product placement

right there with you

>now's a good time to dream
lol Sup Forums

My dentist jabbed my gums during a routine checkup and I wan't to put superglue in his coffee.

>>Telling the truth online

COME ON NOW

I'm definitely not. Keep posting.

Maybe she died while bow-hunting

Outstanding post OP

whip good

What awaits you

See post 44/44

Different conditions result in a wide variety of decomposition processes.

It is soft, and probably tastes good. Ever had lingua?

Mostly meant toxicology in regards to alcohol and drugs. Many poisons remain detectable for a long time due to their action.

tache nigar

Bump