Why is Nic Cage treated like a joke? I know he's been in a lot of shit movies...

Why is Nic Cage treated like a joke? I know he's been in a lot of shit movies, but since when are you supposed to phone it in for your job? The guy makes terrible movies entertaining by acting the fuck out of them.

Not to mention that the man is a legitimately great actor when he has a good script and a good director to work with.

It's part of his reflected id to the audience
He does shambolic characters on the brink very well

I think that his is one of the most wasted careers in Hollywood. I'm curious how he would perform in a well-written AAA movie.

Go watch Adaptation. Matchstick Men or Leaving Las Vegas.

Most people are plebs and only know him as le crazy guy from the Wicker Man remake and other shitty movies.

Will do, thanks.

Probably watch Matchstick Men first, it's pretty positive. Leaving Las Vegas is fantastic but it will fucking ruin your day.

I don't know, I unironically like him, even though some of his movies are terrible. Also, if I made as much money per film as he does, I wouldn't turn down any roles either.

Id say him and johnny depp.

Depp is actually a fantastic actor with a lot of range, but for the life of me i have no clue why he keeps playing cartoon characters for burton and Disney

nic cage is great

i remember seeing wild at heart after having my doubts, because he was acting in it

he killed it, to make it simple. great actor

he looks ugly as fuck in rumble fish but just being in it makes me respect him

what more good stuff has he been in except for those mentioned, face off, bad lieutenant

Same reason as Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey. Sure, being a great actor is fulfilling and benefits all of humanity, but the Ridiculous Six and Mr. Popper's Penguins pay just as much, if not more.

I really like Lord of War and Weatherman, but I think I'm totally alone when it comes to those two movies. Not that people think they're bad, just that most people have forgotten that they exist.

>bad lieutenant
>matchstick men
>leaving Las Vegas
>raising Arizona
>moonstruck
>adaptation
>Peggy she got married

He's a great actor, if he didn't pick stupid roles he would be up there with Pacino and deniro

Not including the rock. Easily the best Michael Bay movie.

loved him in bad lieutenant and face/off

I get what youre trying to say, but Sandler and Carey cant really act.

Sandler has a couple of movies where his 'serious' acting works with the tone of the movie (Spanglish, Punch drunk love, cobbler), but besides that hes always the same character. Hes miles ahead of Carey. But both are tiers below Johnny in acting ability.

Oh yeah, not saying there's a DIRECT comparison, just that shitty movies probably pay better than great movies.

And besides, Sandler was pretty damn great in Funny People, and Carrey has more than decent chops in the Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I watch Lord of War every few months and never get sick of it. I don't know why, but it has a certain charm to it. One of a few Cage movies that I actually like.

Forgot about funny people. Yeah, shitty movie, but Sandler was pretty good.

I know those movies do probably pay a lot, but damn, i still remember Gilbert Grape, Blow, Secret Window. I thought black mass was a nice return for JD. its been a while since i genuinely enjoyed one of his movies.

>if he didn't pick stupid roles he would be up there with Pacino and deniro
Think about that sentence again, there bud

Has he actually been in any movies lately?

he actually pays somebody to fit a bird onto his head to hide his baldness.

this makes him a joke

He has two out soon.
>Army of One - he tries to kill Bin Laden with a katana
>USS Indianapolis

Based Nic is a classic pleb/Reddit filter.

>Army of One

Finally doing an adaptation of his autobiography, eh?

>Depp is actually a fantastic actor with a lot of range

Vampire's Kiss is his best role.

Nic Cage is incredible.

Whether he's in a bad movie or a brilliant movie he acts the FUCK out of his role and takes it into some real heightened-reality territory.

He actually (legitimately) sees his approach to acting as this shamanistic thing.

I have a lot of respect for him.

>Depp
>lot of range
The fuck are you talking about, he's a one-trick pony, he only ever succeeds at playing the quirky character, whenever he tries to do drama he never steps up above Average

To quote Roger Ebert

>Cage is a good actor in good movies, and an almost indispensable actor in bad ones.

Obviously, couldn't say it better myself. Cage is eminently watchable, and never phones it in. He gives one hundred percent, whether he's working with Scorsese or with whoever directed Left Behind.

>I think I'm alone in liking Lord of War
You're not alone

Haven't gotten around to seeing Weatherman though

90s/early 00s Nic Cage is best Nic Cage. I think he just started working for money instead of the art and thus stopped caring what kind of roles he got, which in turn meant he became less desirable to studios.
>Jim Carey can't act
The fuck are you talking about? He's one of the best examples of actors successfully having comedic and serious roles.

already torrents

If he wanted other people to take his career seriously, he should have taken it seriously too instead of just accepting any role that was offered to him.