Going to a gym for the first time today. 6'4 280 pounds. What should I expect? Do's and dont's...

Going to a gym for the first time today. 6'4 280 pounds. What should I expect? Do's and dont's? Should I try to lose weight, or can I build muscle without losing weight?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.lylemcdonald.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Drop the fork and pick up a stork.

Swag.

/fit

Lose fat first then build muscle.

Good luck user

expect not that much.. change your food plan and eat healthy.. then you will lose weight.. but you have to do it at least 8 weeks

This.
Check fit sticky, lots of advice.

I lost like 35 pounds in 6 months by just eating chicken breast veggies and eggs, didn't even exercise that much maybe that its 90% your diet meme was true after all.

Depends on how your self control is.

Soreness after. Focus on cardio and diet before anything. Treadmill, elliptical, bike, anything to get you sweating as much as possible. Lose fat first, gain muscle later. Make sure you're eating healthy and getting protein right after your workout. God speed user, diet is everything. If you do it right you won't even want shit food anymore.

No carbs, after you burn the carbs off then fat will burn aswell.

>What should I expect?
You'll be awkward and autistic and self conscious as fuck
Nobody, literally nobody will care about you or take an interest in what you're doing

>Do's and dont's?
Re-rack your weights after use. Literally the only thing that matters.

>Should I try to lose weight
Yes, obviously. You're a fat fuck.

>or can I build muscle without losing weight?
Technically yes but it's pretty much impossible without drugs. Also you're a fat shit so why would you want to?
It's always easier to lose weight while building muscle because
>You're regularly exercising
>Muscle consumes more calories than fat
>You're learning consistency

Other people will tell you to lose weight first, but unless you're literally too obese to push a bar out in front of you then ignore them

Finally, pick a routine and stick to it for 6 months+ This will save you time and keep your consistent and headed somewhere. I spent 3 months doing whatever the fuck I thought of in the gym and it didn't get me far. I then picked a routine and after 1 year I was lifting more than most people in the gym

I now bench 130kg, Squat 200, Deadlift 230, etc

Consistency is king. Keep going when you don't want to.
That said, find exercises you like doing by trying every piece of equipment in the gym in your first month or two. Once you find things you like, stick with it.

Rock on fatties.

If its you first time and have no one else to show you the ropes, hire a personal trainer for a few sessions, just to get a feel for how it is. Cut put as much carbs as possible and ramp up the protein. Stick to a plan that works for you, but dont over-do it. Make sure you start running too, cardio is a great fat burner. It can also help to use a workout app to keep a plan, i use nike. It will be hard work the first few week or 2, but keep at it and dont give up.

This is the worst feels bros

Expect to be sore for a week

wrong. Losing weight is all about calories in, calories out.
lose weight first OP.
Track your calories and make sure to eat below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). do both weight training and cardio.

I recommend that you join Lyle McDonald's :
"Body Recomposition Forum", at :

forums.lylemcdonald.com/

You can learn a huge amount of relevant information just by lurking for a while, and reading the existing information.

Read through all the basics of "cutting" - losing excess body fat; and "bulking" - increasing lean muscle mass; aerobic and anaerobic exercises, diet / healthy eating, high intensity interval training (HiiT), equipment, etc..

You will find that they will give very good advice and answers to your specific personal needs and targets.

Treat them with the respect they deserve for their huge range of knowledge and experience and you will get the best possible help.

Good luck with it.

So what I'm seeing is that it's better to focus on cardio first. I'm worried about being able to pace myself to be able to spend 1.5 hours a day, 3 days a week in a gym

fat = fuel for your muscles, why lose it then start building muscle?

Go on the keto diet and lift weights, i've been on it and lost like 40 kilos in around a year, no cardio

+1 for this, fantastic source of information and usually goes counter to the average bullshit you'll get on here and even /fit/

The only real answer is: it depends
Cardio burns more calories in the short term while strength/building muscle burns more calories in the long term

If you're losing weight for more than a month or two then you probably prefer a combination of both.

Cardio tends to be quicker and easier to get into.

Like I said before though, it's mostly about what you enjoy, since consistency is king.

>I'm worried about being able to pace myself to be able to spend 1.5 hours a day, 3 days a week in a gym
Set a goals and aim towards them, you'll reach them far faster than you think.

>Run 1 mile
>Run 5 miles
>Run 5 miles in less than 30 minutes

>Bench 70kg
>Bench 100kg
>Bench 100kg for 5

etc

You'll learn what you're comfortable/able with within your first couple weeks. Be prepared to feel stupid for a few days and you're fine.

>fat = fuel for your muscles
Nope, that's protein, nitrogen and a little glucose. Fat is used when you have none of those available and need calories, but it's at a severe detriment to muscle- hence why you can't build muscle while losing weight (without drugs).
Doesn't mean you should lift while losing weight, but it's important to understand why you're wrong

I eat low carb but specifically eat carbs before breaking personal records because it's stupid and a waste of time and energy not to.

You should expect to waste your money.
You need water, walking, and healthy food. You being there will just take up space that someone who is ready for lifting could use.

Yeah - starting with cardio makes sense - improves your overall cardio-vascular fitness and stamina.

Try to work out what your Calorie intake should be in order to satisfy your basal metabolic rate (BMR) : you use the "Harris-Benedict Equation" to calculate it from your height, weight, gender, and age. If you can't figure it out yourself, I expect the forum would do it for you based on the information you provide.

Once you know your BMR, you then add on the extra calories to meet the extra energy you need to satifsy your exercise levels:

..... if you consume less calories than you expend ( i.e. calorific deficit) , you lose weight - mainly in the form of fat, but to a certain extent in a little loss of lean muscle mass; but

..... if you consume MORE calories than you expend ( i.e. calorific surplus) , you gain weight - mainly in the form of lean muscle assuming you are doing anaerobic exercises (e.g. serious weight training), but to a certain extent in a small gain of unwanted fat.

Cycling between periods of aerobic and anaerobic exercise, together with a properly balanced diet, will gradually reduce the fat in the aerobic part of the cycle and increase your strength / lean muscle mass in the anaerobic part of the cycle.

Don't push yourself too hard to start with, and if in any doubt, ask a Doctor to check your initial fitness against your planned exercise routine to ensure you are not at risk.

To start with, you may find half an hour per day is enough, with the occasional day off to recuperate, when necessary.

dont listen to any of these faggots. Look up ketogenic diet on youtube. Exercise and the diet youll lose that fat quick. I lost 100 in 4 months

You're probably going to throw up and feel like shit for two days, but you have to keep going.

This. Now.

There is an actual board for fitness advice, and it's not Sup Forums