True detective thread, let’s discuss the show

True detective thread, let’s discuss the show.

never have another good season as the first one /thread

Hopefully season 3 will be decent at least

hope you've read pic related, OP
if not, there's nothing to discuss, because you should be reading it rightnow

2 fucking sucked dick. Massive nigger aids infested dick. My hopes for 3 are in the shitter.

Season 1 is the best television you'll ever see. Even Sup Forums agrees and those fuckers are hyper critical.

Yeah season 2 was a major letdown, maybe our expectations were to high?

I haven’t heard about it, I’ll look into it though thanks

For good reason. Season 1 was the best thing since sliced bread. 2 just shit in our mouths and pissed in our eyes.

Rusty's character was literally 100% plagiarized from the ideas presented by Thomas Ligotti in the book
you will love it

Did you enjoy the show though?

Damn, I'm going to look into it.

heavy shit.

Season 1 was amazing

Different user here but season 1 is some of the best things I've seen

absolutely loved it, it's my and my gal's both favorite season of television ever. we were in disbelief watching it every week the first time, amazed at how great a show could be
yes, Nic Pizzolatto, the guy who did the show, fully admits to being entirely entirely inspired by the book, pretty sure there's an interview video you can watch where he praises it, so it's not l ike a secret or something shady or anything like that
Ligotti is a brilliant writer, the show introduced me to him, and that was his first book i read.
His horror fiction is where he really shines though, pic related

Both Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey were amazingly written and acted.

Been trying to get my buddy to watch this, for some reason he seems reluctant. It's honestly the best TV ever created all memes and hype aside.

Also, the theme song kicked ass.

Ligotti is my favorite horror writer

bump

Badly written show held up by strong lead actors and a director stretching his legs visually.

They should've never stuck with Pizzolatto as the showrunner. Hopefully Milch rewrites everything that hack farts out for season 3.

i like Poe a little better just cause he "did it first", but Ligotti comes REALLY close second

I like Poe and Lovecraft equally

Jesus..it's basically rehashed shit Brits were doing in 90s detective shows.

Even the esoteric occult shit? Care to give me some similar shows then mate?

have to say i really, really dislike lovecraft
i appreciate the groundwork he laid for the stylistic telling of horror literature, but god damn, the way that every story is told in first person from an "average joe" stupid guy who can't describe anything because it's OMG SO SCARY reeeeally puts me off of him. i STRONGLY dislike him, but probably only because he's so massively popular. if we was merely seen as a kind of in-the-background early pioneer of horror, i wouldn't mind that... but his work is worshipped as some kind of literary god. REALLY puts me off, Call of Cthulu was the only story that genuinely scared me a little bit, and Rats in the Walls was entertaining only cause the cat was named Nigger-Man. he basically just doesn't understand other cultures/races/backgrounds and tries to write "scary" stories based on that lack of logic, shit sucks. i can't even sugarcoat. he's fucking terrible. Machen is the guy he tried to imitate and Machen makes him look like a god damn joke
i admittedly do feel kind of passionate about my hate for Lovecraft lol
my bad for turning this into a /lit/ thread but i can't help it

>Rats in the Walls was entertaining only cause the cat was named Nigger-Man

disagree completely but you made me kek

fuck, almost got quints!

He invented an entire genre of science-fiction horror without appeal to supernatural entities.

Cracker. Prime Suspect. Even fucking Inspector Morse covered the same kind of material True Detective did in the first season. They just weren't filmed as well nor did they feature A List actors.

The whole gritty detective hunting a serial killer deal has been done to death in the UK.

Also Pizzolatto fucked up by trying something harder in season 2 and trying to go all Ellroy on us. He's not talented enough to pull that shit off on tv. Couldn't even put the pieces together in the plot in season 1, not sure how he expected to do it on a bigger scale in season 2.

Poe gets a little exhausting after a bit, although I do respect his place in the genre. But he's not very nuanced or subtle i.e. it was a dark dark night and the scary house moaned in the screeching wind. Still good though

ok... ok... it was actually a pretty good story overall, arguably better overall than Cthulu, maybe his best work, but Nigger-Man will forever be remembered
again, i don't deny he contributed greatly to pioneering the genre, and even genres... but the work itself was trash. badly written, poorly narrated, and un-scary trash. it's O.K. to adore his legacy, but people worship his work itself as a standalone, which i find entirely unacceptable.

pic relate : gotta respect his views on cats

I watched Broadchurch recently and thought it had a similar feeling to TD but idk something about that first season man. You've got to admit, it's pretty fucking great.

Agreed user

>badly written, poorly narrated, and un-scary trash
wrong on all counts

Vince Vaughns character was completely unnecessary in season 2. Cutting him altogether would have been a drastic improvement.

Care to elaborate?

It's good tv. I wouldn't put it in the great category, honestly. The concept is better than the show itself if they rotated out showrunners/directors. Fuck...each season should be a different writer/director combo.

The plotting of the first season is really mediocre. You could tell that shit was saved in the editing room.

The plot is terrible hackneyed. The show peaks with the Texas undercover biker episode. The show settles for a "it was the monster dude all along" and sweeps the obvious bigger scandal under the rug because "end of season".

While I appreciated the eye candy of the actresses, everyone being that fucking hot and wanting to bone Woody Harrelson playing against his normal charming type was hard to believe. They could've pulled that off, but the female characters aren't given the typical real life incentives women have for wanting to bone guys like that. Instead, he's just too sexy I guess? Not buying it.

I don't know. It was just kinda lazily written. My understanding is that the two leads and Fukunaga pretty much did the best they could to lobby HBO to have the series fall their way, but they ultimately went with lame-o Nic's ending which undercut any power the story could have ultimately had by papering over nihilism with a literal "look at the stars" scene at the end which was barftastic.

Basically, it's Se7en with an ending to make your grandma happy. Accept it as an entertaining watch, but putting it on a pedestal is as idiotic as the guys who wanted to tell you Fight Club or Heat were the best movies in the 90s.

huh... i felt like his character was the only character that mattered in the season
i thought the entire season was meant to have existed only inside of his unconscious mind?
I thought Colin Farrell's character was meant to be just a projection of his subconscious, a sort of hero to Vince's guilty anti-hero ego
that was my interpretation
maybe i'm wrong, maybe i'm not, but i feel like that's really what they were going for

Nah man...that gives Pizzolatto way too much credit.

He was going for an Ellroy meets Lynch vibe. But he didn't do enough research to do Ellroy and only Lynch can pull off Lynch without coming off as total parody.

Farrell was great in the first episode though.

Man I don't know what the fuck they were going for in season 2, I'm just thinking without that fucking character the rest of the story has more direction and purpose.

Read a James Ellroy novel and go watch the first season of Twin Peaks. That is literally what he was trying and failing to do.

You’ve got some good points and I agree with you about the ending, but the show was good overall imo

It felt like a shitty western Fargo. I'll check it out though, any book in particular I should start with?

Oh yeah man...don't get me wrong. I'm being overly dramatic in my criticism. It was entertaining.

But for me, the top notch tv is shit like Season 1/2 of Mad Men, Season 3/4 of The Wire, Season 4 of Breaking Bad, Snuff Box, The Singing Detective, Season 1/2 of Arrested Development, the Fish Out of Water episode of Bojack Horseman.

Now I would put Rusty up there with some of the great characters in tv, but I just don't think the show was that amazing really. To me, it was better than the American remake of Insomnia, but not as good as the original Insomnia, if that reference makes sense.

idk man, i see what you mean about ellroy but saying he's shooting for lynch is kind of far-fetched too, wasn't really anything abstract about the plot
in answer to your comment about giving pizzolatto too much credit, i would argue that even suggesting that he was getting somewhere close to lynch, even as a parody, is giving him waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much credit lol
i would argue that lynch is simultaneously an execution, and at the same time a parody of himself

Season 3 is being co-written by David Milch. You may know him from Deadwood.

I love the Underworld USA Trilogy, myself, but I think if you're looking for what Nic was going for, read White Jazz.

The great thing about Ellroy's books is that they all generally stand up well alone but are interrelated to one another, so if you read them, you get a pretty good handle of the lives of various characters through multiple novels.

Milch is a great fucking writer, but apparently brutal to work for. He's obsessed with continuity and does rewrites up until shooting. Tobolowsky gave some pretty big insight to how he works in some of his stories.

Well shit it better be good then lol

Farrell's dreams. The way Rick Springfield is made to look up. The entire Vince Vaughn plotline. The guy in a bird mask shooting Farrell. There's a shit ton of Lynch in Season 2.

This

Order placed for white jazz. Cheers

Season 2 would have been an OK show if it weren't named or recognized at all to be true detective.

I've watched season 1 like 10 times. I always notice something I missed.

Haven't found a show that compares.

Season 3 will be shit. Stars a nigger from what I hear.

Get ready for some visceral fucking writing.

Shit sorry, I meant season 1 of TD was great. Broadchurch was pretty consistent up until the last season. Also I'm a sucker for David Tennant.

>shit
i bet you haven't even read the plot.
you don't like white cop/black cop duos?
training day?
lethal weapon?
the wire had niggers you hate that too?
"eww nigger" *change the channel* kek

t. triggered nigger

If he is, I guaran-fucking-tee you wouldn't say that to his face. Dumbass.

season one was real good. rust cohle is an interesting character.

'If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself'

rip senpai

how do i join those satanists that kidnap people when theres a natural disaster?

The hidden web might have some forums?