Is it really THAT bad?

Is it really THAT bad?

why would it be bad? it's a great versatile freeware tool, the only thing bad about it is the people mistaking it for a DAW

It is a DAW though.

it's not. it's an audio recorder and editor

yea lol

depends on what your doing, if its basic acoustic recordings its perfectly fine.
for more advanced shit its fucking horrible but thats not what its made for
Its a super barebones DAW if we're going by textbook definitions. Hell Garageband is better if you want support for some mixing and mastering

nice screenshot of some random dude's statement
it was never considered a DAW by the developers

It's good if you know what you're doing, and you're a decent musician. If you're a shit musician, it won't help you as much as other DAWs will. Audacity is the closest you can get to an analogue tape experience. You record your music in one go, with very little editing.

>freeware
No, it's free software. "Freeware" is used to refer to proprietary software distributed for free. Audacity, however, it's a freely distributed software that respects your freedom, hence it's free software, as defined by the Free Software Foundation and Doctor Richard Stallman. In that regard it's better and more ethical than other projects since it doesn't mistreat the users.

I love audacity. Pretty good tool for basic databending.

>not using audacity to remove shitty features you don't like

Audacity is my go-to for production work on my radio show. I also use Adobe Audition for certain effects, and I just got Reaper but haven't messed around with it yet.
I don't know who thinks it's bad. I've had no problems with it whatsoever

And I don't do any recording with it. Just audio collage. I use Audition for my mic work.

Technically yes, but it's not a real daw and it's not designed for music production like a DAW is. It's designed to do quick edits, splices, etc... It's the mspaint of DAWs

this is a good explanation

It's the notepad of audio editing software.

No. it's a very useful tool and I use it to make most of my music. it's the best editing software for audio

Not that it's bad, just people being disappointed it's not a Pro Tools clone or something

Nah, I use it.

It's a great program.

Audacity is not true free software. It's open source.

It's the paint of sound editing, quick and easy but won't get you far.

Licensed under the GPLv2+. It is free software.

What can't it do in sound editing?

It's not a very powerful routing tool. It doesn't support MIDI-input's as far as I know. I honestly haven't tested the strength of it, since a lot of production tools are much more intuitive in Ableton.

I use it mostly to crop and analyze sound quality of files.

It edits the audio destructively. Let's say you wanna add eq for example. so you eq the track, and then you continue editing. Now you wanna either remove or adjust the eq. You can't do that because the edit was destructive. in order to hear what it would sound like without the eq added, you'd have to undo everything up to (and including) the eq, and then redo all the other edits you made. You could do that if you have decent memory and don't mind wasting a bunch of time, but it's an inconvenience that doesn't really need to be there.

The only thing I hate is the echo/reverb effects are shit.

Please be trolling.

this
audacity is a decent audio editing tool but it is not DAW.

Supports proprietary formats, it's not. Not as per GNU Project standards.

yes it sucks just pirate an actually good DAW and use the 64 bit version. All audacity can do is rearrange things you already recorded.

The audacity!

Best daw. I've done things in Audacity which people think I've made in Ableton literally.

THE AUDACITY

As far as free software goes it's not bad

I just use it to record vocals and do everything else in FL

It's a DAW in the same way a toyota corolla is an offroad vehicle.
I mean, you can.

i never bothered to try, can you use plugins in audacity?

crashed a lot.
mainly used it to convert ogg to wav back in the day

If you haven't made actual money with your music yet, it's good enough.

what if people sent me spare change thru bandcamp, does that count?
oh my god, am i a sellout?

THIS SO MUCH
I mean it can generate sine waves so you can do anything really.

how much spare change we talkin tho mahfucka

about 2 dollars in total over five years
complete strangers tho

time to upgrade my man

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation
Audacity has the first two letters down

It's great that this works for you, but other tools can do what you're doing in a much easier and versatile way. I'd seriously consider checking out Sony Vegas

Agree with this. You have to somewhat know what you're doing as far as EQ/mixing (it doesn't have tacticool auto plugins for beginners) but it can do everything short of actually producing music, and technically you could even do that by creating sine waves.
I wonder what's the most complex thing someone's made from scratch in Audacity. I know you can turn the noise bursts into drum sounds.

i made insane and really shitty experimental folk stuff for a couple years with it, so it can be used for making stuff like that.

but ya, if you want to make good music, it's probably best used for recording simple acoustic things or something like that

I've recorded all my albums of the past 13 years with Audacity. I don't program anything so it works perfectly.

we need more paints and notepads, tbqh