Is he patrician?

Is he patrician?

how the fuck is he visiting Sup Forums in 1983

Probably through the "Sup Forums in the 1980s" threads

oh nice

it's plebtrician

yes, he is

>Joy Division, Bowie, Television, The Smiths... the list goes on.

He seems more like a cure guy

well he likes joy division and the smiths so he probably is a cure guy as well

Yeah, but he didn't SAY it

that's why the list goes on

Doesnt "the list goes on" imply there are more bands, but he doesn't know them?

That was the cringiest scene in the whole series. The dude literally brings up these bands out of the blue, which can only be seen as the director trying to establish the show's "hipness".

I mean, now, it's kind of entry-level and well known. But in '83/'84, that's fucking great taste and strong awareness of good music for someone in the middle of nowhere in Indiana and not even a city with a big music scene. Shit was way different before the internet.

being aware of the smiths in 83 is next level awareness tbqh

season 2 sucked ass

>show takes place in '83
>music he's talking about releases in '84
what did he mean by this?

lmao he's also talking about shit he introduced to him a year ago so it can't even be the singles laffo

Who is that kid? Is whatever your pic about SO ubiquitous that you feel no need to explain anything about it?

It's a show. I have gathered that much information here.

Talking Heads and Vonnegut. Sounds like a good night

it's the first suggestion if you reverse image search

What's up with Sup Forumsdrones thinking they invented generic alternative tastes

there's a difference between what was cool in 1983 and what's cool now from 1983
that list is the latter

>paying for shitpost
Jesus fucking christ.

Agree with you 100% my guy. Seeing it more and more and it's usually the post-punk bands too.

This. This is music plebs think is patrician.

Yeah that's not my point though, Sup Forums just parrots a combination of pitchfork, scaruffi, and rym-core. It's obvious that Pitchfork ca. 2010 is still the biggest critical influence here.

Okay, but why should I have to? I don't care for OP's presumption, nor anyone else's.

Looked it up. Internet show. Couldn't even make it onto regular TV.

i mean who cares it's all shit right

Yeah well, they still won Emmys and the majority of everything on actual broadcast TV is hot fucking garbage, so maybe don't put it down too much for that.

this, jonathan is a legend

>make it onto regular tv
most stuff on regular tv is absolute shit anyway so I don't see how this is a bad thing

those artists were critically acclaimed from the start. You just had to read music magazines.

And bowie was also famous.

I suppose, but I don't know if they get NME in Hawkins. I mean he does drive to a bigger city after, but still. The Smiths especially, in America, in heartland America in '83 is pretty impressive. Almost bad writing in a sense that he's too versed in it for who he might be, despite spooky off-kilter dude tastes.

And Bowie was, but to my understanding, he was just very influential and cultish at the time, not like huge. Larger than many, but after Ziggy and Young Americans kind of tapered off while he was in the latter 70's. Then again he did more movies in the gap between Scary Monsters and Let's Dance, so maybe not. But he was still considered an off-kilter outsider sort of deal, to my knowledge.

And then Let's Dance happened. Serious Moonlight should have been in full swing during Season 1, so he would have been hugely popular at the time. I had a bit of a think when they mentioned Bowie again early in Season 2 as a sort of outsider taste, which is hilarious to me by October '84. I wonder if they'll mention that if there's a third, considering the music and Bowie is such an integral part of the character.

They're taking these bands and the culture associated with them and using them to create this sort of generic "retro artsie/alternative" aesthetic that they can cheaply market to upper middle class white teens who are just interested in music enough not to listen to mainstream pop but not enough to see that this is all a load of corporate BS. And, thus, they are destroying whatever meaning the word "alternative" once had, when pertaining to music.

*tips*
Literally everything is done for money, even alternative music. Get over yourself.

you are either a brainlet or getting to old for this site

Yeah, I get that. But this type of marketing seems a little different than most other attempts to sell alternative music. It seems like this time around, they're targeting what we would call "normies". You know, your average teenager who grew up reading Twilight who doen't really care for music that much and shit like that. Yes, there was a market for alternative music in the past. But that market mostly catered to teenagers who already were outcasts and, thus, naturally identified with this aesthetic and didn't have it force-fed to them. This is different, though. This seems more deliberate. Now, whenever I see teenagers name-dropping Joy Division along with, say, Lana Del Rey, I think "What the fuck?". I mean, just ten years ago you had to have some knowledge of music, as a teenager, to know these bands.

You are saying it appeals to normies, because first it used to appeal to you, an outcast. If you are getting far from your teens, you will not recognize social divisions in nowadays teens as good as you used to. Those you define "normies" might still be considered weird from their peers, and thus may delve into alternative music, and why not, get really interested and actually learn something about music along the way, cause as it is right now it's not really an important media as it used to be. You weren't born with immense musical knowledge either, you know.

Hit too close to home desu

Season 2 is ‘84 retard

I wasn't born with musical knowledge, but I had to go out and learn my music because I actually liked music. I guess it might be a new thing that I'm not really used to. Girls wearing JD t-shirts and Doc Marten boots but not knowing who Siouxsie and the Banshees are (basically meaning they don't actually like post-punk, they just like JD).

Hmh. I know a girl who wears both of those things and listen to obscure French post punk. And don't talk as if she's an exception: you make generalisations, I get to do them as well.
Spitting on kids who are just now stumbling to life, putting their interests down- one is allowed to like what they like. If they like JD because they discovered them with the shirt or on youtube it doesn't make them less worthy fans than you who heard of them from a band member or from your friends in the nineties. Times do change indeed.

A true patrician... And don't forget The Clash!

>why should I have to?
Because you wanted to know, faggot. Fuck off with your attitude.

>make it onto regular tv
because it was originally produced by netflix lel?

>blocks your path

Smiths and Bowies arent patrician.
Those were very popular, Stacey listen to that. They were the Beyoncé of the 80ies..

It's the internet, user. It grows by degrees. Its influence and the way it affects our ways of thinking and common knowledge grows exponentially every year, every generation, every decade. When it started, there maybe was a text board someone mentioned Joy Division. In the early 2000's, someone might have put Unknown Pleasures on Limewire, had a Geocities page about JD, and talked about them on a board somewhere.

By 2010 we had Sup Forumscore. Indieheads and shit might have been around, Pitchfork was at the peak of its influence and hipsters were listening to the suggestions of the older journalists and taking up old acts as new vogue. I don't want to overstate Sup Forums's importance, as there is other places, but there's no mistaking the fact that what is considered entry level good taste around here and ubiquitous has spread.

People are coming to consensus. Ideals and media are being shared and judged, memes develop and solidify culturally. Before you'd have to special order it from a record store and wait a month. now you just google it and listen in seconds. I saw a video about Trout Mask Replica from one of those hip pages on Facebook yesterday for anyone to see.

People always wanted identity from these things, and now it's coming to prominence. The advertisers and corporations are just monetizing trends emerging from five, ten years ago, or at least the smart ones are.

television and bowie are the only good ones

>he calls you a nu-ma

Elliott has better taste t b h

That could be the case. People do have exposure to more things with the internet. So I guess we could now be experiencing the transition of some of these bands from cult, indie status to rock icons, for better or worse.

Just remember, Van Gough, Poe, Lovecraft, many great artists were not appreciated in their day. Now they're considered standards and idols. We're just seeing it in our lifetime and not a history book, so it seems strange, and the internet has accelerated the process tenfold.

I've known one woman with a Joy Division tattoo and I've seen others on the internet. We're in uncharted territory.

He doesn't have Pitbull though

These are base level starter pack bands. It's such a forced line. At the time he would've been patrician in post-punk

>tool
>anemia

fucking lol

>the smiths
>released their first album in february 1984
>first season takes place in november 1983

he was only listening to the singles by then and he was already a fan? that's based

what a weak hairline holy shit

>led zepplin

nevermind, they fucked it up

this is from season 1 dumbass

It's an alternate universe, do you see. None of that stuff is true. Smiths release in 82, could be even different Smiths. No demogorgons, no 1983 even.

The whole point is that they're normie-core labeled albums so as to pass unnoticed

the smiths played their first gig in october 1982 so maybe he listened a bootleg?

ok grandpa

patrician af

>season 2
>confuses the obvious siouxie sioux costume for kiss

seems like he SHOULD know who she is. ruined any immersion, if there was any in the first place.

had he not said the smiths, then yes

I thought maybe that was his way of shutting her down because he's into the sister

did anybody else catch this?

hell yeah, dude was the real patrician all along

That's a sensible thought.

Personally my mind went right to Dr. Frank-N-Furter because it's nearly identical down to the makeup.

I mean sure but not in a real way, better than normie but not a legit "patrician" by Sup Forums standards
Not a hipster faggot like everyone from this decade that likes this type of shit so he's still okay

Step back, you literal gay man.

I thought the same thing when I saw that scene

Actually just watched this a few hours ago for the first time, and thought the same thing.

>It's a t.v. program not on T.V., so it must be bad
I suppose you think music not on the radio isn't good either?

Where?

Ya'll realize that those bands wouldn't be 'plebtrician' in the early 80's right?

that was painfully out of character, unless he was """joking"""

He really doesn't have any right shitting on that guy's music taste in episode 1.

I like this show. Thanks for recommendation

It left a really sour taste in my mouth as well. God, am I autistic? But it wasn't really played as a joke...

this hit way too close to home

it he literally /ourguy/

Embarrassing. Netflix writers need to learn subtly. That is is even worse than Bojack Horseman.

no, this is from season 2

First, it's a flashback so the season it's from doesn't tell you the year. Second, it's from season 1, you fucking retard. It's one of the flashbacks the characters were having about Will shortly after he disappeared.

xd

This guy is gonna be the typical dad telling his kids to listen to Van Halen and shit

>implying he isn't listening to early W.A.S.P. making him far superior to that pretentious proto-emo fuck

delete this