Lets settle this once and for all, what's his best album? Anyone answering Heathens gets permed

Lets settle this once and for all, what's his best album? Anyone answering Heathens gets permed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y72pu-fxXt8
youtube.com/watch?v=10P7zqvRNDY
youtube.com/watch?v=guCJoLqOlFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk
youtube.com/watch?v=OKMSgZo9c8s
vimeo.com/53207758
youtube.com/watch?v=ECnEwD_J5XM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

station to station

LOW

This

>Anyone answering Heathens gets permed.
>Implying Heathen is a bad answer.

I'm disgusted.
Nevertheless it's Diamond Dogs with Heathen being a close 2nd.

Personally Hunky Dory. But there's no objective right answer. The fact that so many people love so many different albums of his just show that he's a great artist who can gather to a very wide audience.

Aladdin Sane

Good thread. My two favorite Bowie albums right here

Station to Station but I always feel like Scary Monsters is underrated

Pic related or his Debut

The Next Day
Also award for laziest album cover art

Sometimes I really wish I could have discovered him earlier and I get emotional about it. It feels like I could have made a lot of happy memories linked to his work without the lingering shadow of his death looming over them.
I like Station to Station the most, then Ziggy and Hunky Dory.

That cover is actually good though

>laziest
Yes, but in a very good way. Also a good way for DB to show a lack of being overly egotistical.

/thread

It was good when it was the Heroes album art

easy

>ctrl+f "heroes"
>0 results found
the fuck is wrong with you

Diamond Dogs is the shit man

nothing personnell kid

Sup Forums is just contrarian thats whay "lodger" was mentioned first

StoS

glad nobody has said Ziggy is best yet. If you think that album is even in the top half of his discography then fuck you.

1) Heroes
2) Aladdin Sane
3) Station to Station
4) Ziggy Stardust
5) Lodger

Fpbp
Spsbp

The only good Bowie albums are effectively Eno albums marketed with Bowie on the cover and on vocals.
Most overrated artist of all time, listen to pic related instead

Fuck you buddy. Heroes is so overplayed. Half that album is meh. Lodger is 5/5 all the way.

docking points for an album being played too often explains this post:

Outside, then Blackstar, then Earthling

I don't care what anyone says

yeah I love Bowie but I also wonder sometimes how much of his music is actually him, and how much is just his band/producer. if anyone's got some responses to this I'd love to hear 'em

Station to Station or Heroes

NOT SOME PIECE OF TEENAGE WILDLIFE

You can look up the credits for each album to see how much he worked on them. In Diamond dogs, for example, almost everything was done by him.

i'm Sup Forumscore and I've never even heard this album

Seconding this

The title track and Lady Grinning Soul on Aladdin Sane have some wicked piano playing but it's done by a guy named Mike Garson and not bowie. Not to take credit away from those pieces or the album as a whole though

According to the musicians who worked for him he was pretty pedantic about how he wanted his music to be, which suggests to me he was pretty involved in making it.

oh god not you again

definitely

The point is that it's overplayed while not even being "the best" which only serves to emphasize the issues the album already suffers from.

you really should give it a try

Compare Bowie's output before he teamed up with Mick Ronson and churned out hit after hit. Bowie wasn't all that great by himself. Ever since he's consistently relied on collaborating with other musicians with Diamond Dogs being an exception (although there's talk that he nabbed riffs and other musical ideas from musicians he was around during the making of that album as well).

tfw ziggy stardust is like a 6/10 and bowie's just not that great when he's not working with Eno

yooooooooooo

Low

Ziggy Stardust is the quintessential Bowie. Might be overplayed, but its still a damn good album. Often things are popular for a reason.

E A R T H L I N G

Heathen is one of his best and important album you fucking idiot.
1. Outside
>a fantastic album, The Leon Suites and the interviews of other musicians who did work on this one make me think that this one album and TLS were the most creative period of Bowie. The Nathan Adler diaries were going to be phenomenal

The Buddha of Suburbia and Black Tie White Noise
>the start of another era of Bowie, he in my opinion left the 80s style that he adopted and approached music in a better way.

Low and "Heroes"
>they are phenomenal albums, the Side 2 of both of these are beautiful. "Heroes" the single, is overplayed but most people still think that it's a love song. So the argument that the song makes the album weak is stupid.

Lodger
>especially Adrian Belew's work on Red Sails, Boys Keep Swinging.

Alladin Sane
>Panic In Detroit, Time, Lady Grinning Soul are fucking amazing.

Scary Monsters
>Teenage Wildlife, Scream Like A Baby, Up The Hill Backwards, how can you dislike this one?

However by best Bowie albums would be
The Next Day and Blackstar for obvious reasons.

No, just no.

Magic Dance is pretty rad. This album is like Queen' s soundtrack to Flash Gordon. Its fun, because of how incredibly corny it is

Ziggy stardust will always be my fav. But this is definitely up there, so many great songs and I love the new wavey sound

Teenage Wildlife is one of Bowie' s greatest ever songs.

1. Low
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Station to Station
4. Heroes
5. Blackstar
6. Outside

All are 9/10 at least

>No, just no.
Shut up. Dead Man Walking, Seven Years In Tibet are great tracks. Earthling might not be a solid album, but it is a pretty important one. But I would say this, the live versions of the tracks (and 'Hours...' ) are better.
youtube.com/watch?v=y72pu-fxXt8
youtube.com/watch?v=guCJoLqOlFk

1. Hunky Dory
2. Ziggy Stardust
3. Station to Station
4. Lodger
5. Low
6. Heroes

Fixed that for ya

Yeah, it's pretty good.

The Idiot

Fucking incredible it had to take this long for Hunky Dory to be mentioned.

It's a tie between Hunky Dory and Blackstar

its one of the greatest covers of all time
>just for one day
>the next day

his voice is so fucking good in Without You and Cat People Putting Out Fire

that's like his worst album

t. Scaruffi

Let's Dance is a mediocre album. Never Let Me Down is his worst album.

great copout response

but you did basically repeat what scaruffi said

The next day

Holy shit

best album cover

this literally isn't true

yeah there's some videos of him whilst making albums and he's very blunt sometimes, he always seemed to have a very clear vision

i'm not the guy you even replied to desu

Best vocal performance
>Hunky Dory
>Aladin Sane
>Diamond Dogs
>Baal EP
>Scary Monsters
>Let's Dance
>Blackstar

Best concept albums/solid albums with great transitions
>The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
>Station to Station
>1. Outside
>Toy
>Heathen

Best 'experimental' albums
>The Berlin Trilogy
>Black Tie White Noise
>The Buddha Of Suburbia
>The Leon Suites
>Earthling

'Hours...' is a good album but it is ruined, in my opinion, by the terrible production style. Otherwise, it has some great songs.

My best Bowie albums would be The Next Day and Blackstar.

of course he was, just read the interviews of the backing vocalists who worked with Bowie on Young Americans, or even Mike Garson.
youtube.com/watch?v=Gqtp1tvpkBk

>The variable is Adrian Belew, who came to the Lodger sessions some time after recording had started. Taking a cue from Robert Fripp’s improvisational work on “Heroes,” Bowie, Tony Visconti and Eno used a similar tactic, not letting Belew hear any of the tracks before he soloed on them, not even giving him a key or chords as clues. So Belew, alone in the studio and being monitored by closed-circuit cameras, ripped out the solos for “DJ,” Boys Keep Swinging” and “Red Sails” in three takes each. He was cut off just as he was growing familiar with each song.

>Belew’s various solos were then dissected, with Bowie and Visconti taking the shards they thought fit a particular section and dubbing them in. The result, like the tremolo-laden, joyous Belew patchworks in “Red Sails,” was somehow perfect—the solos sound as if they were crafted beforehand, but keep their sense of barely-controlled energy. It’s waves of thought being voiced on strings.

don't listen to him Earthling is great

Black Tie White Noise

Good post. However, I'm surprised you put Diamond Dogs there and not the concept section; it's my favorite of them, at any rate, and I think the most coherent.

Great info at the bottom. I didn't know that, and those are some of my favorite songs of his. Fascinating. Glad he got Belew. Interesting how coherent that seemed, considering he apparently literally just got told "Play some guitar and we'll do something with it."

hi Trent

>put Diamond Dogs there and not the concept section; it's my favorite of them, at any rate, and I think the most coherent.
didn't want to name any album twice. You are right on the concept part of the album. But I just love his voice for some reason in Diamond Dogs. Actually I should have switched it with Young Americans and then placed DD in the concept part.

>"Play some guitar and we'll do something with it."
Apparently, he did that with a lot of musicians/backing vocalists, or so I've read. I do admire his ability to get talented musicians, make them play solos and arrange them for his own songs. The Leon Suites have(/will) proved that. Most musicians that worked with him on 1. Outside did talk about the amazing session that they had while working with him and Eno on TLS.

Let's Dance is like the best pop album of all time you silly cunts

There's a point to it though. He felt a complete dissolution of identity. That's the point the characters were meaningless he might as well have slapped a sticker on an old one

What's his best music video?
>inb4 Lazarus and Blackstar. don't state the obvious kid.
I love Jump They Say, he looks so handsome.
Also, fun fact: this was supposed to be the cover of Black Tie White Noise.

Before and after Science ;^)

Finally a patrician

> it's pop therefore it's bad
fuck u

most underrated album coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=OKMSgZo9c8s

It's an unpopular opinion, but for me the top 3 (in no particular order) are

>The Man Who Sold The World
>Ziggy Stardust
>Blackstar (Fuck you, it's good)

Keep in mind the others aren't far behind (Like 10/10 vs 9.5/10, with some exceptions)

DJ is my all time favorite. Absolute best to me. Look Back In Anger is pretty great. Ashes to Ashes is a classic, and he did revolutionize music videos in their early stages. John, I'm Only Dancing is good, partially because it's a really underrated song, partially because you get to see one of those transitional looks of Ziggy which were always the best.

However, this is the best David Bowie music video.
vimeo.com/53207758

>unpopular opinon
These are all great albums.
My problem with TMWSTW is the track Black Country Road. Otherwise the tracks The Width Of A Circle, All The Madmen, After All and The Man Who Sold The World are great. I love Lightning Frightening.

The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars is a terrific concept album. The highlight of this album is the last track, Rock & Roll Suicide, especially the lyrics.
>Gimme me your hands, 'cause you're wonderful.
My personal favourites : Soul Love, Starman, Hang On To Yourself, Ziggy Stardust, and Velvet Goldmine.

Blackstar is his magnum-opus. There's just so much to this one. All of his albums, even Never Let Me Down, end here.
all the videos that you listed are great, just add Where Are We Now? and The Heart's Filthy Lesson to your list.
>vimeo.com/53207758
I didn't know about this one.

Black Country Rock is great! The whole album is just proto-Zeppelin hard rock, it's interesting Bowie never really went back there despite in some sense being an early adopter. Really good odd man out album. Savior Machine is tied for TMWSTW as my favorite track on it.

Heart's Filthy Lesson is an incredibly underrated video. He looks devilish in it, very abstract, very 90's, very good.

>I didn't know about this one
He wasn't technically involved in it; it isn't official. But if you've listened to the majority of his music it's a really sweet tribute and a great hour. Watched it a couple times. I was shocked to find it had come out before he died; it very much works as a brighter companion piece to the ethos of Blackstar.

I just can't help laughing at that goofy 'point of vieeeewww' and 'fond adieuuuu' part.
>TMWSTW as my favorite track on it.
His performances for this one is amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=ECnEwD_J5XM

Fair, I just take the theatrical flair in style. Different strokes.

>90's TMWSTW
I have never been fond. He re-orchestrated it many times, and that is my least favorite. Never quite hit for me and it was right there foretelling Hours and being way too 90's on the production. Shame.

I love his version from SNL with Klaus Nomi; probably my favorite. The synth in the background, the backup singers, and the octave he sung in are great to me, I think it's the superior version. I would link it but NBC are fucking bastards. Go ahead and look it up, it's out there.

Or I sort of wish Bowie had heard the version by Midge Ure and done that. Probably my favorite, man has a surprisingly good Bowie impression that tricked a lot of people.

>his version from SNL with Klaus Nomi; probably my favorite
I've seen that show. It was really theatrical and hypnotic in a way. Especially as you said, the TMWSTW song. And when they bought that pink poodle on stage.

I just love 90s Bowie performing. It is after all my favourite Bowie decade.

probably ashes to ashes or hearts filthy lesson

Hunky Dory
Ziggy
Low
Heroes
Scary Monster
Lodger
Heathen
The Next Day

thanks, just saw the whole video. Loved the ending.

Forgot STS after Low

Welcome. The ending is really great and wraps it all up well, and I was really shocked it was from a couple years before he died, all considered. I like the mixes of some of the songs on there better than the album versions or some remasters, and the transitions are 10/10.

>I was really shocked it was from a couple years before he died,
maybe that's why it celebrates his music. But it really was nice, looked liked they put a lot of effort into this.