ITT

>ITT
We discuss how we usually practice or play with our respective instruments.

I just wank around and learn scales and chords.
On my keyboard I learn both, and on my bass I just learn scales.
I also love making new tones and experimenting with rhythm.
Love you.

Been playing guitar for 9 years, and I usually just play along to songs. I'll occasionally practice scales and routines, but I find it pretty tedious sometimes.

I love you too user

Well, I am practicing four hours a day.
I started a month ago.

So that's pretty much 120 hours.

I started trying to compose my own songs just now, I used to write a lot (I still do) so lyrics aren't really a problem, harmonies in the other case...

But well, this is not something I can rush, and I am enjoying learning both the instrument and how to compose songs that I find good.

What instrument do you play?

Spanish Guitar, I like how versatile it is.

violin at music college
2/3 hours a day where possible
always swap between stuff to do like studies, scales and pieces quickly to prevent fatigue
take breaks to browse Sup Forums and drink n shit

i trying play Grimes and radiohead songs or compose own melodies

btw did you mention that chord progresion: C D E F G A B (all major) is very interesting?

so an acoustic guitar...

I play songs by ear twice (drums) play them the way I heard it while practicing with the band, note the criticism they point out, and play it again by ear while applying their critiques. I'm a piece of shit.

not him, but biiiiiiiig difference

Isn't it just an acoustic guitar with nylon strings? Honestly thought it was.

I just read tabs and try to learn songs I like on the drums and pick up stuff through trial and error. Then I wank around with rudiments for ten minutes until I get frustrated and give up.

OP here, how long do you usually practice or play for? It'd be cool if ya'll could write what instruments and how long you've played as well.

completely different styles of playing, and construction is different between a classical/spanish guitar and acoustic. classical has more of a violiny shape for resonance whereas acoustic can be all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Yeah I knew about the flamenco style, but I had no idea that a classical guitar was that different.

Around two hours when I can. Played drums for about four years when from like 11 to 14 but just picked them up again at 20 about 4 months ago. This me btw

Guitar
12 years
at the moment I warm up by doing chromatic scales up and down the neck to a metronome
Then I practice the Major and Pentatonic scales on a single string, singing alone.
Then I practice sweep picking the fastest I can do is 140bpm since I just started.
I usually end up faffin about for another hour when I'm done with this, writing new riffs, practicing old ones.
I just started taking lessons again.

I've never had any lessons. Are they helpful at all? I suppose they would be with the right teacher.

Recently started using Yousician to learn guitar, it's quite engaging, feels like I'm playing Rock Band. I practice for an hour to two hours a day, split between rhythm, lead, theory and improvising songs. I hope to gradually increase until I'm devoting at least four hours a day, which seemed like wishful thinking at first but now that I'm practicing on a daily basis, it doesn't seem so daunting. My goal after that is to start composing.

Sorry for the late response, I just started:
The good:
-Its awesome to have someone who's devoted to helping me get better at guitar.
The bad:
-Practicing this way sucks. I've been repeating the same scale on all the notes in all the positions everyday for a week now.
-Its expensive

So yeah its helpful, wether or not you devote the time outside, you get what you put into it. I just started so I'm still deciding if its worth it.

i drum in front of a mirror for about an hour every day working on technique