/spg/ - smashing pumpkin general

In the spirit of Halloween I have decided to start a thread, featuring a band with a fitting name. Billy Corgan's unparalleled rock group, The Smashing Pumpkins. Having successfully combined metal, pop, grunge, and other contemporary rock styles in their peak, and even compiling one of the greatest double albums of all time, they stand far above their peers. While other groups were cutting their creativity in order to seem more underground, or purposefully took themselves out of the spotlight, or even the opposite (doing anything for attention) the Pumpkins were focused 100% on making music for themselves and for their fans. It's not hard to see how much they cared for their fans, unlike other bands of the time. They even priced the afformentioned double album at less than what would normally be charged for such a format, because they weren't in it for the money. After the 90's the band fell apart, but in their heyday they were an undeniable force that went unrivaled.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O--BSG85mmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

An addition: if I had to rank their albums (excluding any post-breakup)
Mellon Collie > Gish ≥ Siamese Dream > Adore > Machina

Here's a Billy to keep my thread alive

Bumping with a D'arcy this time

Here's James

MCIS was my shit fuck people who say it's full of filler, tracks like we only come out at night add lots of charm

Siamese Dream is the only good album they made.
I'm going to sage this thread lols

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE
SENT TO DALE

imo MCIS > Adore > Siamese Dream > Machina > Gish

But all their pre-breakup albums are fantastic so don't let the ranking fool you; these are very thin margins. Except for Mellon Collie. That album is so clearly a masterwork that it crushes the rest in scope, breadth, and purity. Best album of the 90s from the best band of the 90s, but they're never given credit for all their achievements. I suspect it's because Billy has soiled his public image with his refusal to cooperate and his sensitive nature.

But I have a feeling they're going to come back into nostalgic relevance with the oncoming decade. As soon as this 80s nostalgia binge ends and we're onto whatever comes next.

But you have exceptionally good taste and I'm glad you feel as strongly about them as I do, if not moreso. Godo thread.

terrible opinion you've got there m8

ill have a crack as this

Siamese Dream > Mellon Collie > Machina > Gish > Adore

i honestly didnt mind some of Zeitgeist, the first half of the record is pretty decent. the second half ordinary. did any of you guys listen to that acoustic EP that came out after zeitgeist? i think it was called american dream or something

the solo record billy just released isnt TOO bad. i enjoyed the acoustic covers he did of old songs leading up to its release more though

Fav Pumpkins tracks from a stand-alone POV?
Probably
>Cherub Rock
>Rhinoceros
>1979
>Mayonnaise
>BWBW

Yeah, I'm a pleb, whatever.

American Gothic is great, I consider it to be the long lost SP acoustic album. And I actually like Zeitgeist too, but FUCK ME who is responsible for the horrendous production? You finally have Jimmy back and some dickhead decided to put his drumming all the way at the back of the mix, run all the guitars through a field of mud, and push Billy's waning vocals to the absolute front. It was a huge mistake.

> Rhinocerous
> Mayonaise
> Tonight Tonight
> Shame
> Try Try Try

Choosing conventional Smashing Pumpkins songs as your favorite is somehow not embarrassing in this fanbase. They are so good at being pop yet genre-less that it seems they reach their best heights when they combine pop song structure with authentic lyrics and odd sounds.

How is no one mentioning Jimmy Chamberlin saying SP might record a new album next year with the original line up?

>“I’m always trying to evolve. We’re talking about maybe recording next year with the Pumpkins and I want to make sure [if that happens] that I bring some really different stuff to the table. The purpose of this sabbatical needs to be revealed in the music. I’m counting on everyone bringing some new shit to the table that is representative of the chance-taking that we’ve always done.”

Also 1995 MCIS tracklisting > SD

billy has contacted d'arcy but no one knows if anything happened out of it

tfw nobody likes MACHINA

the first one is pretty good, albeit a little long winded. havent listened to the second one outside a few songs (in my body is the goat t b h)

Siamese Dream is hit and miss, the good songs on it are the best out of any of their albums though.

Yeah I heard that but DESU I don't really care if D'arcy rejoins since she didn't write much when she was in it.

> Disarm
> Eye
> Mayonaise
> I am one
> 33

Recently listened to gish for the first time, was really surprised at how good it was. I had only heard Siamese dream and Mellon collie before. Really amazing for a first record

Luna
Perfect
Drown

My current faves. There first 3 albums are all great though. Never bothered to check out post adore.

Good thread OP

Siamese Dream is my favorite Pumpkins album. There's just so many songs that aren't just great, they're life-changing.

>Today, Hummer, Cherub Rock, Rocket
And of course
>Mayonaise

I can never get enough of those wall-of-sound guitars desu

Mellon Collie is also amazing, but while I wouldn't say there is "filler", there is definitely a disparity in quality between the better songs on the album and the not as good songs.

Both albums rate in my top ten of all time. They're just that good.

>Geek USA
>Cherub Rock
>Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
>With Every Light
>Crestfallen

Go away Billy
No, but for real, I dislike everything they put out since (and including) Mellon Collie. Shit was overproduced and incredibly corny, with edgy songs like Zero taking a lot away from their original psychedelic/grunge appeal. They were just trying way too hard imo.
Siamese Dream is a masterwork though.

>Soma
>Mayonnaise
>Daydream
>Set the Ray to Jerry
>Quiet

Adore is their best album. Fight me irl.

Smashing Pumpkins demos and b-sides> all their actual studio albums.

You're not wrong, but you're not right

bump before the thread falls of the catalog

This is true.

I can't find their cover of A Night Like This anywhere, and it's godly.

aeroplane flies high is pretty amazing

also i never realised that soot and stars was a b side. ive even heard them play it live

youtube.com/watch?v=O--BSG85mmM

From humble beginnings.