Any sport, current or historic player.

How is dirk overrated?

Tom Brady

Bill Russell

Bobby Orr

Ted Williams

YES YES YES

Singles hitter surrounded by $200 million lineups with no range on defense

its okay to hit singles when you hit over .300 for 20 years, he's not a power hitter but always consistently got on base

more importantly he was great in the playoffs

some players are A for 3 years and then C players for the rest of their career

Derek was a B player for 15 years, his greatness comes from his longevity and consistency.

Didn't play defense. 1 ring by sheer luck

Dirk is underrated if anything dude

>beats aldridge, kobe, fisher, artest, gasol, ended phil jackson's career in a sweep of the champ LAL, harden, durant, westbrook, bosh, wade, lebron, beats the Heat in the finals when they looked unstoppable, hit 5+ game winning shots, finals MVP
>All that in one postseason where he had a 40 year old jason kidd as his second best player
>#6 all time in scoring
>took a dead meme franchise to the top by himself
>MVP

>(((overrated)))

Don't give a shit if you think it's okay or not. He just saw fastballs because of the lineup he had around him and people try to act like he's one of the all time greats. He's not.

I remember 2006 the Sox had a year with Alex Gonzales and it was by far the most stunning display of defensive mastery I've seen in 4 decades of following MLB. Of course shit bum Jeter with ZERO fucking range one the Gold Glove.

Because it's bullshit.

My feeling when Jeter came to bat against the Sox any time in his career: Relief

>more importantly he was great in the playoffs

OPS 100 points lower than Manny Rameriz and David Ortiz = "great"

he was pretty clutch in the finals too

>beats aldridge, kobe, fisher, artest, gasol, ended phil jackson's career in a sweep of the champ LAL, harden, durant, westbrook, bosh, wade, lebron, beats the Heat in the finals when they looked unstoppable, hit 5+ game winning shots, finals MVP

Do you not remember how well the surrounding cast played? Jason Terry might as well have been Kobe himself.

>All that in one postseason where he had a 40 year old jason kidd as his second best player

Yeah, one postseason lol that's the point. In a 20 year career

>#6 all time in scoring
True

>took a dead meme franchise to the top by himself
To the top... lol are we talking about the Mavericks here?

>MVP
So was Derek Rose

>(((overrated)))
Yes

Kill yourself faggit

So what? He is an first Ballot Hall of famer and one of the best players and best scorers of all time

Take this back. Right now.

>short stop has worse offensive numbers than an outfielder and a DH

want to know how I know you don't shit about baseball?

Jeter had range when he was very young, people aren't meant to play shortstop until they are 40. No shit his defense isn't going to be great when he's 32. Anyone old enough know's his defense was good in the 90's

you're just salty he won 5 rings

even if I hate the red sox I wouldn't be dumb enough to deny Pedro was great or ortiz was great

>slap singles hitter has a worse OPS than 40 HR guys

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW

>t. Butthurt lebabby fan

Dirk >LeBum

>implying 2011 was his only good year
>implying he didn't get jewed out of the 2006 finals when Wade had 30 FTs a game. That playoff run he his an and 1 that took game 7 to OT on the road at Spurs. Then BTFO prime Suns with Nash
>Mavs before Dirk - worst franchise NBA history
>Mavs after Dirk - MVP, 2 Finals, NBA Champ, 50 win seasons for 10+ years in a row

Uhhhhh, sweetie, to be considered overrated, you have to actually be praised as GOAT worthy status, e.g. Kobe

Dirk never got much love outside 2011, and was cursed as a choker most of his career, making him underrated

Yes, this is fair. Jeter was a terrific player, and I idolized him, but I'm not sure I would even put him as one of the top 5 Yankees all-time, let alone some time of top 5 GOAT the way the media portrays him as.

This isn't really fair. Jeter was never a great power hitter, but he was a terrifically consistent contact hitter. Especially in the playoffs.

In a way, I think the "Jeter is overrated" circlejerk has actually gone in the opposite direction, where people have started saying that he wasn't that good to begin with.

>My feeling when Jeter came to bat against the Sox any time in his career: Relief

But Jeter's batting average against the Red Sox was .300. In one season, he actually hit .400 against you guys. How on earth did that make you feel relief?

>hall of famer

The NBA hall of fame is the easiest to get into

>muh Rose is bad now so he's been bad his whole career meme
Prime Rose was better than current Westbrook. You probably just didn't watch the East apart from LeBron, but Rose that season was more dominant than anyone in the league.

>implying he didn't get jewed out of the 2006 finals when Wade had 30 FTs a game. That playoff run he his an and 1 that took game 7 to OT on the road at Spurs. Then BTFO prime Suns with Nash

He didn't. You're underrating Wade. 2006 Wade was absolutely unstoppable, your options were to let him score or foul him.

>Dirk never got much love outside 2011

This isn't really true. I grew up in Miami, and even in '06 we liked Dirk. We didn't want him to win, of course, but we liked him. He just came across as an excellent player and all around great guy. I don't think anyone has ever seriously considered him GOAT tier (or even top 20), but everyone loves Dirk. Maybe that makes people overrate him a little bit, but on the whole I think the national NBA fanbase rates him very fairly. You want to see overrated NBA players? Look at Derrick Rose in his MVP season. Basically a discount Westbrook.

LITERALLY
t. I grew up in Miami

>Prime Rose was better than current Westbrook.

That's not true.

Rose at his absolute peak (2010-2011)
>25 ppg (.489 fg %)
>7.7 apg
>4 rpg

Westbrook this season (2016-17)
>31.6 ppg (.425 fg%)
>10.4 apg
>10.7 rpg

You can argue that Rose was better defensively, and of course Prime Rose led his team to the #1 seed in the East, but I think Westbrook right now is better than Rose was back then.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Are you agreeing with me, disagreeing with me, what?

Orr isn't overrated

>above average for a long time
purty gud
>did it all for one team
welp, he's now going to be considered 10x better just for that
>that one team is the yankees
GOAT GOAT GOAT

>above average

You're underselling it. He has 3,465 hits. That puts him 6th all time. Sixth. Major League Baseball has existed for 140 years, and out of all the players to have ever played, Derek Jeter has the sixth most hits. His lifetime batting average of .320 puts him in the top 50 all time. That's a lot more than "above average".

>that one team is the yankees

With which he won 5 WS and 7 AL titles, it's not like he just happened to be a decent player on the Yankees. If he was, we would remember him the way we remember Scott Brosius.

Lonzo "Higgs-boson" ball

>play in an era with prime Kobe-Phil-Shaq Lakers, prime Duncan-Gino-Parker-Pop Spurs, prime Nash-Dantoni Suns, prime Kangz
>be the ONLY team not named Lakers or Spurs to get out of the west during this period, TWICE
>single-handedly BTFO prime unstoppable Heat
>overrated

>baww im obsessed with bawwston

>Tom Brady
Brady himself insists that he's not the GOAT and such discussions are silly, but at the same time I think he deserves that title more than any other QB.

>Bill Russell
Agreed, he played in an era with only 8 teams and he was on the best team by far. Good, but not that good.

>Ted Williams
>overrated

What the fuck are you smoking, Williams was amazing and deserves all the respect he gets.

Thats not a picture of Tim Duncan.

>No shit his defense isn't going to be great when he's 32.

I didn't mention age. He was never the best short stop in the AL. Not once. Won the GG every year because new york gayness.

>you're just salty he won 5 rings

Yes. After a century of being the laughingstock of all of sports I am salty that during the great Derek Jeter's time as the Yankees #1 Superstar the Sox finally turned it around and made the Yankees their fucking bitch.

How many rings have each squad won this century fuck face?

>even if I hate the red sox I wouldn't be dumb enough to deny Pedro was great

Well that's terrific you're not dumb enough to deny the best pitcher in the history of the game was great. Jeter was still a punch and judy singles hitter with no range on defense.

>Agreed, he played in an era with only 8 teams and he was on the best team by far. Good, but not that good.

Shut up you fucking moron. Celtics never made the finals before Bill got there. Before getting there he won 2 NCAA titles with a nothing school and then preceded to win the NBA finals 11 times in 13 seasons, one of the years he failed to win he broke his leg in the finals or it would be 12 of 13 and 10 in a row.

He is the undisputed GOAT of GOATs of all of team sports. There is no argument. There is no debate. Today's NBA is shit. 19 year old kids who know they don't really have to listen to their coach just chucking threes for 3 hours. If Russell came into the league today the domination would be even worse.

You just don't get it and frankly I'm fine with that.

>Hall of Fame
>Somwhere Carmelo will end up in as well.

Wow, sure speaks volumes.

Pic also related to the thread.

Most overrated in their sports:

Paul Scholes
David Campese
Kevin Pietersen
Ayrton Senna
Wladimir Klitschko
Peyton Manning
Dale Earnhardt Jr
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Martin Brodeur
Kobe Bryant

>klitschko

Random first names come to mind in the major sports
>MLB
Pete Rose
>NFL
Brett Favre
>NBA
Russell Westbrook
>NHL
Seth Jones

>memechucking more makes Westbrick good
Can you post the usage rate?

>the autistic westbrook hating Spaniard returns.

What are you trying to gain from this?

Marciano
crackas pls

>Singles hitter
He has career .440 SLG.

>MLB
Jeter is a solid pick, high quality short stop, but NY media nut hugged him a little too much

>NFL
Troy Aikman

>NBA
Karl Malone

>NHL
IDK

>Football/soccer
Ronaldinho

Lonzo Ball

>small

small baller detected

>cHALLENged yOUNG mAN COLLEGE AGE lebRON, bARELY MADE It OUT aliVE, AND SO heS gOOD
Put Dirk against the 2017 Cavs and say some shit like that again.

kys

1 ring is better than no ring.

>My feeling when Jeter came to bat against the Sox any time in his career: Relief
Damn, Boston fans are this delusional.

Haha, but nope

he's good but he's not even a top 10 RB

Name 10 better running backs than him

Walter Payton
Gale Sayers
Eric Dickerson
O.J. Simpson
Paul Hornung
Franco Harris
Barry Sanders
Earl Campbell
Jim Brown
Terrell Davis

Ezekiell Elliot
Marshawn Lynch
Adrian Peterson
LaDanian Tomlinson
Christian Mcafferey
Eddie Lacy
Ray Rice
Todd Gurley
Le'Veon Bell
Derrick Henry

Pretty respectable

Meme list

Please dont tell me you actually think Smith could even hold Peterson or Lynch's jockstraps.
He'd be stuck on the practice squad if those two were on a team with him.

I have more of a problem with
>Zeke
>McCafferey
>Feastmode

Like what are you trying to pull with that kind of shit?

>franco harris
>paul hornung
>earl campbell
>terrell davis
none of these are better and you should be ashamed of yourself

How is Smith better than Elliot?

Elliot has played one year behind a great offensive line. I mean I like him and he could be great but you got to give that shit some time. I also noticed Gurley on you list too. You just can't rate rookies and college players over all time greats.

this a million times. kobr isn't even in the top 10 ever, let alone the top 5. overrated chucker.

>I didn't mention age. He was never the best short stop in the AL. Not once. Won the GG every year because new york gayness.
you specifically mentioned 32

>Yes. After a century of being the laughingstock of all of sports I am salty that during the great Derek Jeter's time as the Yankees #1 Superstar the Sox finally turned it around and made the Yankees their fucking bitch.

How many rings have each squad won this century fuck face?

derek jeter still has a 2-1 series record vs boston in the postseason

it's funny how red sox fans brag about 2004 but forget about 1999

Absolute O-Line babby.

Easy to name so many backs better than him.

You could throw a few more in there if you're going to say Terrell Davis. Chris Johnson is better than Emmitt.

Dirk is definitely not overrated but I understand you needed a bait OP image to get replies going. this
Wrong
Correct
>Tom Brady
Eh, debatable. He is really good but he is also a bill belichick babby
>Bill Russell
nah
>Bobby Orr
no
>Ted Williams
no
7/10 list
all of these are good

I don't think troy Aikman gets enough praise for the success of the 90's Cowboys Dynasty to be considered overrated
wrong
>paul hornung
>franco harris
nigger get outta here with that shit lmao

Are you implying Smith didnt get his stats behind a great offensive line too?
Zeke did better on average going against better defenses with larger and faster players.

Troy Aikman regularly makes top 25 QB lists. He is not that good. He just won a lot of shit. Same with Bradshaw (For the first part of his career anyway)

>o-line babby
>all those yards he would get after contact
stop

they are top 25 quarterbacks, anyone who doesn't think Bradshaw was hof worthy really doesn't know anything about football.

>TSUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Smith played at a high level for 11 seasons. Zeke has played one season. I mean what if he suffers a career ending injury this preason? Would he still rank that high on your list?

Based on averages, yes.

That's a really silly way to rate players.

Gretzky - literally the greatest sports star ever in any sport called over-rated.

Child you're adorable but you need to go watch tapes of his games.

Prime Rose only even existed for like 1 season

When was Matsuzaka highly rated?

>Earnhardt Jr.
>literally the best restrictor plate driver since his daddy
>crowd loves him and realizes he won't win a ship
>overrated

he beat the "big three" with the next best guy on his team being jason fucking terry...

you're retarded

>1 ring by sheer luck
>literally beat a superteam
>luck

>dirk
>overrated
lol

Pre-salary cap babby

I so wish Ichiro was a Yankee instead

He was 10x smarter than manning.

>it's an "Americans post athletes from their shitty sports who no one knows" thread

Bill Russell is overrated
>muh HOF bench

5 rings bitch

I think you have him confused with someone else there

this is a dumb argument, all the good teams had no salary cap

it was stacked team vs stacked team

the 49ers were shit for the first 30 years of existence before Joe Montana

>Derek Jeter not overrated

heres the thing, everytime jeter is brought up tons of people call him overrated

is an athlete really overrated if people call them overrated? wouldn't that make them....rated?

>Dirk
>Overrated

Scholes wasn't overrated, he shits all over the current English talent.

Dirk isnt overrated, no one cares about him my dude.

Dale Jr is not overrated. Even his fans can generally admit he isn't one of the greats. He's an underdog and a fan favorite but not overrated because no one actually rates him.