Kendrick Lamar
>Martin had a dream
Martin had a dream
Kendrick have a dream
>All my life I want money and power
Respect my mind or die from lead shower
>I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower
So I can fuck the world for seventy-two hours

Its not like I dislike Kendrick but Kanye is better and cherrypicking doesn't make an argument, and doesn't make for good bait either.

Kanye whole career is based on these corny lines. He has them on every album.
Kanye damage control lmao.

His whole career, if it is based off any single 1 thing, is his amazing production, and ability to make other performers (excluding Jay-z) exceed all expectations.

Personally speaking, Kanye is one of my favorite lyricists, and its lines like that, that make him more relatable and endearing, however I'm in the minority on that, and it is not his lyrics that most people know/love/hate him for.

7/10 bait, made me reply twice.

both are shit

>Personally speaking, Kanye is one of my favorite lyricists
Lmao. Ok.

Meme rap music which will be forgotten in a couple of decades and replaced by a gayer version of skrillex

>Kanye
>lyricist

I'm a Kanye stan but no. His samples are the only reason he's listenable.

Like I said, I'm in the minority on that.

When it comes to lyrics, I like my shit straight forward, genuine, attempting to provoke some kind of emotional response, and easily sing alongable.

So, kanye is among my favorites.

Meanwhile while Bob Dylan has very well written lines, nearly nothing he's written (honestly the only song of his from any of his albums I've heard that stuck with me was desolation row) has ever made me feel an emotional response.

Burying what you're saying under constant metaphors and symbolism isn't gonna help me know what you're getting at.

I don't want to have to pore over a lyric sheet to understand what point you're trying to make.

It needs to be direct and upfront

Kendrick does the straight forward genuine shit infinitely better than Kanye. I'm saying this as someone who was a fan of Kanye way before Kendrick was even a thing.

You can't gauge how good an artist is based on how emo they are, by that logic the emo genre is by default better than the others. Kanye's emotional shit are pretty shallow in comparison to other rappers too. His samples are really what we like. Take away his samples, no one would give a fuck about his music.

I'm sure fucking models and splurging on fashion brands is relatable and endearing. Listen, I like the Fray's first album, but I don't make a case for its artistic integrity at every junction. It's just run-of-mill pop.

This man acted different for his time, that's it. His production was no different from that of his contemporaries aside from a stylistic preference for soul samples. Y'all forget it was his drum kit and rhythms that made him stand out, which was simplified on everything after his first.

Tl;dr - legit dickriding

Lets agree to disagree
I find Kendrick comes off as disingenuous a lot of the time which puts me off, and I can't relate to him like I can with kanye.

I think Kendrick has his moments
And kanye isn't infalliable

But as a whole, kanye's lyrics and delivery speak to me in a way only matched by a handful of other lyricists/singers.

Robin Pecknold
Kanye West
And Kishi Bashi are my top 3 favorite lyricists

Just about the only artists that can make me cry, laugh, or question my existence with their lyrics.

And with kanye, also piss me off and/or fire me up.

TCD is his second worst album though (still a solid 8/10 however).

Yeezus > TLOP = MBDTF > 808's = LR > TCD > Graduation

>Just about the only artists that can make me cry, laugh, or question my existence with their lyrics.
You need a reality check if kanye does this for you

Not him. But he has some really good emotional songs.

Meaning what exactly?

Music is subjective my man

I'm not debating that point.
I'm not saying any one artist is objectively good or bad at x, y, or z.
I'm not saying kanye has to make you feel the same way as he does me.

I'm just trying to demonstrate that yes, there's at least one person, who is strongly affected by kanyes lyrics/music.

I'm not saying he doesn't, I personally find them disingenuous and I think it laughable that he put him in the same caliber as Fleet Foxes and Kishi Bashi when it comes to lyrics.
Meaning you're an oaf and you should keep your opinions to yourself

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them and most of them stink.

But what is this place other then a chinese cenue to open your cheeks wide and discuss the smell of your own bowels with one another?

It's okay if you don't like my opinion.
That's fine.
But I'm not going to not state the way I feel just because you disagree.

>I find Kendrick comes off

That's your opinion. I could literally say the same about any artist. Kanye's emotional crap is even more bullshit to me when you know how much of an asshole he is and that all that sappy shit about his mom when she was a liposuction wannabe whore.

Kanye's "lyrics" are extremely basic and if he's in your top lyricists then your opinion just has no credibility to me, sorry.

I can tell you don't listen to much rap because pretty much ever other at some point raps about their moms, their pains, their struggles. It's just that they don't have catchy samples in their songs. Kendrick is objectively a better lyricist. I find him more genuine than Kanye too. Kanye's pretentious logic is exposed by someone as dumb as Charlamegne. Selling plain white tees or whatever for a high price is somehow "for the people". He's nothing but a fake deep rapper like Hopsin.

Like I said before, Kanye is just samples. Take away the samples, he's nothing. Take away Kendrick's samples, he's still a great lyricist. End of discussion.

And that's your opinion.
I disagree about Kendrick for many of the same reasons you listed. I feel like he's trying to hard to just give the mass audience he's reaching what they want to hear, how bad the white man is, etc.

And I actually listen to a good amount of rap, probably my second most listened to genre after rock.

Kanye is still my favorite.

I don't think he's got the best flow of any rapper by any means, on the technical side of things, he's an okay rapper at best.

Best rappers in that respect for me are either notorious, guru, or any member of digable planets.

But in terms of lyrics?
He stands alone for me.

I'm not trying to convince you you have to like him.

But you trying to convince me not to ain't doing shite either mate.

Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that, yeah?

Your opinions are your own, and mine are my own.

>stan
pathetic desu

No Kanye haters are based on these corny lines

Kendrick Lamar is the most annoying nigga in the game. He's the Melvin of the hip hop world. Like yeah nigga, you're smart, you write well, but you're also like five feet tall and still got the puppy fat. And I'm supposed to believe he's a badass simply because he went to high school in Compton?

I guarantee you he wrote his first album from the inside of the trash cans and lockers he got stuffed into.

T. J Coke

kendrick's music is for dropouts with a small vocabulary; his lyrics if you look closely have no real coherence and half the time it doesn't even rhyme.

kanye's verse there is clearly meant to be a joke and is a stylistic choice.

>kanye's verse there is clearly meant to be a joke and is a stylistic choice.
A bad, unfunny joke is still an unfunny joke.

>how bad the white man is etc

Oh so you're an idiot who doesn't listen to lyrics and you can't find a single lyric to quote that supports your bullshit claims, thanks for invalidating you're entire argument.

Did you greentext this way specifically to trigger me? If so you've succeeded.

Can someone explain the artistic merit of the 30 rock line? Doesn't seem any different from forced pop culture references in reddit comments

>Excuse me ma'am, it seems you've lost something and I would like to help you find it
>She replied, oh yes, you have lost something....you've lost...you're life
Do people really take Kendrick seriously? jfc