Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio:
mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook:
mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz
mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU

Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle
mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

Other urls found in this thread:

refx.com/samplepacks/
audioz.download/request/135687-req-the-beato-book-pdf-rick-beato.html
clyp.it/b3smv4w5
clyp.it/k42qrxvj
55chan.org/b/src/1509569399975.ogg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(music)
splice.com/mau5trap/deadmau5-let-go-remix-contest
youtube.com/watch?v=mBc27yn9hTw
clyp.it/gt5b2nlb
audioz.download/tutorials/video/135725-download_academyfm-how-to-spice-up-your-drums-with-foley-samples.html
clyp.it/3s0ukw4z
clyp.it/3k40mbbz
youtube.com/watch?v=UDVtMYqUAyw
youtube.com/watch?v=IqZkULNCbPM
clyp.it/ycemv1yk
clyp.it/psztojkz
clyp.it/3uadysoc
clyp.it/4oavxcrf
instaud.io/1oRp
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>finally /prod/

AT4040 vs. C214, cop which one? Budget: $350

both are solid, you have to try them to find out what you prefer
the ck12 style capsules have never been my favorite, but I still like my c414s, can't really go wrong with oldschool akg designs

Where do you look for samples? Do you record them yourselves?

refx.com/samplepacks/

Just spent 3 hours trying to successfully install and authorize Ableton 9.7.X, failed at it, and went back to 9.5 version. All of that because I wanted to examine one project from Deadmau5 I found on Splice that needs at least 9.7.1 version to open.

You know what, between me and you, I think that (((they))) did this on purpose in order to hide the secret knowledge from me. (((They))) know that I would have learned so much from that Deadmau5 project that I would be able to conquer the entire music industry, because I really do have a huge potential. Smh. I could have made a huge holiday hit in those three hours, but now they are wasted and the world will have to wait a bit more to listen to my godlike music.

Nah you're just retarded.
Read this:

Thanks, maybe this will work, but I'm not trying it now. I downloaded multiple versions from Rutracker and TPB but nothing worked. It either couldn't install because some files were missing or the authorization was invalid. Heard that newest versions have some problems with that.

I need to bookmark that Audioz site. Speaking of torrents, do Audionews still open their registrations for anyone once a month? I had an account there, but it just got mysteriously deleted one day. I only ever downloaded some small, few MBs heavy plugin.

Btw, just to be clear, this Audioz site is perfectly safe? I just found a Beato book there, I'd like to check it out.

>re-record guitars a few days later with the amp louder for a better sound
>guitars eq gets all fucked

>record a different sounding signal
>wonder that it's different
what's going on there

ah, fair point.
anyway, i would be interested to know it if you had any observations on this track, especially the eqings
clyp.it/b3smv4w5

I think eq-wise it's mostly fine except for a bit of clashing in the bass and acoustic sounds, could be less muddy
but what really breaks the 'vintage' feel is the overcompressedness, makes me feel really uneasy because everything is so flat and there's no dynamics at all

thanks. took a bit of low shelf on the acoustic guitar.
is the overcompressing really bad? modern music sounds like that doesnt it

also
>mostly fine
is there some subtle eq thing that is annoying you

yeah, it's pretty bad.
modern music sounds like that, except it's done expertly
listen to some john mayer born and raised or paradise valley albums as a reference if you want that acoustic singer/songwriter pop sound shit done right

ok i'll decrease the compressors' mix a bit more and the saturations

Daily reminder: Ableton and FL Studio are toys for baby's first musik.

It should be as long as you don't click on ads.
Also read the comments when downloading software to be sure you're not getting anything bad.

I've been using it for 5+ years qnd downloaded many thousands of files. Never a virus and the worst was a nonworking crack (which people were already talking about in,the comments that I hadn't read).

it should sound a bit more dynamic and spaced now
hope the levels didnt fuck up
clyp.it/k42qrxvj

What do you use? I bet Pro Tools or Reason.
Tbh I'd like to try Logic, but too bad it's only for Mac. Looks maybe even like the best option for me.

Magix Sequoia for anything serious, Reaper for jotting down ideas on the laptop.

i use reaper for my serious projects. its all i use. i dont produce electronic music, though, just use virtual instruments and it is ok at that .

>tfw getting more comfortable with your DAW and shits becoming more cohesive
I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something and its only been a month since I started fucking with it.
Thanks mostly to these threads, the daw recommendation, the vstis, etc...

keep up the good work buddy

What would be the best equipment for field recording?

how's this for bout 1 year producing
55chan.org/b/src/1509569399975.ogg

condenser mics, that should be obvious

daily reminder that if you're making electronic music on a pulse then you're just a babby pretending to make music.

a nagra or sound devices field recorder and whatever neumann, dpa or schoeps mics you need

what is a pulse

>project from Deadmau5 I found on Splice
link?

>acting superior
>not using super dooper music looper as daw of choice

I think youre better off making your own samples and fucking around with them with effects. There are great sample packs out there, but it gets kind of lame when you hear several people using the same samples. It just makes you seem unoriginal and lazy.

Ive been using Logic pro and Logic X my entire production career. Ive never even dared to try anything else because Logic took me a while to learn completely (i still dont think i understand every little thing). Where do you guys think it stands compared to other DAWs? Ive never had any problems and i really enjoy it.

What is even the point of compressors if you just master it anyway?

he is talking abut Push. He either can't afford it or did not understand how to use it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_(music)

splice.com/mau5trap/deadmau5-let-go-remix-contest

Okay, good. How should I download this though? Those links are bringing me to the download-geek website and I heard bad things about it, so I'm not sure if I'm clicking the right thing. Can I not download it directly without having to sign up to random sites?

>splice.com/mau5trap/deadmau5-let-go-remix-contest
thanks. i don't want to register though.

so this is the power of max....

Jorman God - Acid low

youtube.com/watch?v=mBc27yn9hTw

FUTURE 10k play track

>hip hop instrumetnal

Hows this sounding through your good nice monitors lads
clyp.it/gt5b2nlb

You can't download that book because it's not a release but a request that someone made, hoping another user uploads it.

If you go on a regular download page like this:
audioz.download/tutorials/video/135725-download_academyfm-how-to-spice-up-your-drums-with-foley-samples.html
You can see the peeplink links with the actual downloads (the main one is behind a captcha, but some times there's a mirror below, and other mirrors in the comments).

The Downloadgeek, usenet, and zevera links are just ads.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

listening to aphex twins work, i just sit there thinking how the fuck did he come up with this? how? how the fuck does this all just work? im not just talking about track sequencing, im talking about everything. he makes everything from scratch. he mixes everything. he automates everything. he masters everything. then he fucking plays the whole lot live with variations.

My guess: he crams a bunch of sounds he think might work together into a project and he dials in effects really fast based on intuition, then he subtracts from a fairly messy project and does a bunch of revisions

DAMN U THE NEXT KANYE WEST

>talks shit on ableton
>uses reaper
what the fuck lmao

im not the guy talking shit on ableton and i didnt even install it here yet but reaper is truly great, better than cubase

going to buy a electric ukele

kek

I think his genius aura stems from the almost complete secrecy he keeps around his production techniques.
Granted he's an elite producer (when it comes to technical electronica) and. was even more so 20 years ago when he released gamechanging stuff that was so ahead of the competition that it still sounds modern today.
But my experience with esoteric secret techniques leads me to think it would bee disappointing to actually find out what he does.
Especially considering the stuff that we know he uses (if you're interested yyou can get into pretty deep rabbit holes about gear and techniques, by searching for Warp artists on production forums).

I think it all boils down to:
1- Spending all day every day making music
2-Be a perfectionist and painstakingly work on everything until it's perfect
3- Own a ton of equipment and know how all of it inside out (see point 1) so you know how to get the 110% out of it
4-Experiment a lot (see point 1 and 3), and find new ways of doing things

If you're a reasonably smart person and do this, there's no way you're not gonna get extremely good.
Maybe you won't cath up to him (he's got several decades of intense experience and knowledge already), but you'll become good enough to be called genius by someone (as long as you keep your techniques secret).

ukulele*

how to make sure i wont overcompress my mixes?

are you going to produce pop folk shit
why the kek
also u-kek-lele

posting updated version in case someone willing to listen appears
clyp.it/3s0ukw4z

I created this daft punk electronic funk song
ima upload on clyp real quick

>how to make sure i wont overcompress my mixes?

By not overcompressing them - use your ears Samuel.

my ears are cheap imports with poor dynamics sensivity

I have no clue how to recreate or find a similar sound to that organ from Intestellar's main theme. Help if you can.

>better than cubase
its not

at least post a youtube link then

clyp.it/3k40mbbz

DAFT PUNK SOUNDALIKE

IM ALIVE

i agree, except that it is

Luckily we at /prod/ have heard one or two of your mixes (even when we've had enough for one day and are trying to avoid them 55chan) so we could say with some confidence that you have a specific sound that you're going for - if you really still don't trust your ears then you're gonna need some visual feedback.

Load a peak vs loudness meter plugin (TT-DR used to be free but now isn't, Nugen Audio VisLM isn't free either but something like either of these) and compare the peak level vs loudness level of original versions of some of the tracks you've been covering, then look at your own versions. You'll see that your stuff has less of a gap between peak and loudness - this is typical in modern mixes but it's not what you want for your stuff, back off your compression until your metering more closely matches the vintage levels you're aiming at.

This isn't a substitute for listening, it's really only supposed to be an accompaniment to it, but if you really need to see rather than hear what is causing issues it might help.

I'm faced with a dilemma.
When I do finish my tracks should I release them as instrumentals or should I attempt adding vocals?

youtube.com/watch?v=UDVtMYqUAyw

like pic related or something more?
maybe its just the limiting not the whole mix's compression? but im really just limiting the peaks

sounds like a normal piano with lots of bass and reverb
then its a common synth sound

yeah you should try.

Actually sounds a little like a piano, either with the samples reversed or being played with a slow attack (no hammer sound).

Of course it's a piano at the beginning, the organ starts playing at 0:23. That's a real organ, not a synth. I just want to either program something similar to that sound with a synth or find some good VST for it.

Last time you posted one of your channel chains you had tape emulators going wild on all of them - they'll add compression too, especially if you hit them hard to get moar vintage. That's not the best idea if you're not 100% sure you're hearing the result clearly.

yeah. i used to have all channels saturating almost distorting when i started producing kek. backed the tape levels after user (you?) said it was overcompressed couple hours ago.

I listened past that point, and to me it sounded like (and what I'd try first would be) a piano with the attack portion really cut out. And as mentioned some fairly dense room reverb.

>you?

Nah that wasn't myself, just trying to get you into how you'd avoid the thing happening.

Use the peak/loudness comparisons as a guide but, as always, look to improve how you monitor so that you can make decisions with confidence.

How do I wrap my head around FL Studios?

Watch this series:
youtube.com/watch?v=IqZkULNCbPM

Post pics of what you're currently working on.

Also, whomst here use groups on the playlist in FL Studio? Makes huge ass projects so much more organized

Thank you user

clyp.it/ycemv1yk

Something I've been working on for the past two days. Right now the drums are placeholder, I plan to chop them up like crazy once I learn how Renoises sampler works. Any thoughts or critiques?

Made with Korg Monologue, Korg MS20, and Virus Access KB

Pretty similar. I'd make the bassline more melodic. The main melody gets pretty annoying after a while so I'd change it up. Good so far though, just needs a lot more variation.

As I'm getting better and making tracks I'm finding it harder to make lo fi ghetto 90's techno stuff, can anyone recommend me techniques?

Nice braindance stuff, did you make it in renoise?

Thank you, this one was made in Renoise. To make lofi ghetto 90's shit I add a very quiet white noise behind the track to simulate the hiss of a low quality reel to reel dubbing. Take an eq in the master and cut most of the highs. Compress the shit out of it. Add a little bit of distortion to every thing. Lastly use era correct instruments and sounds, like using the roland 808 kit 707 etc, make the patterns very boxy sounding to simulate using a drum machine. Here's a lofi track I did if you wanna take inspiration for my mixing.

clyp.it/psztojkz

I also suggest listening to Armando - Armando. Did the lofi 90's idm thing perfectly.

can you hear the vocals and the rightside guitar fills, clearly?
thats all i'll ask for this track.

clyp.it/3uadysoc

Thanks

bump

I really want to make music but IDK what kind to make. I like house, techno, under ground rap, EDM trap, some experimental stuff, and 80s-90s rock How do I decide what I want to make? Is just opening a project and seeing where it takes me the best way?

Decided on a DAW, get to grips to daw and make basic tracks, expanded your knowledge on track making/production and listen to more music, the rest is just figuring the track out.

Do you at least know how to produce or you have yet to start making any music at all?

You first have to learn how to use a DAW before you can do anything. I suggest starting with trap since there are tons of tutorials specifically around that genre right now. Then when you feel comfortable you can branch out into other genres.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

I fucked of with maschine for a while but now I’m going to get a real DAW and learn how to use it. I’ve also been studying music theory seriously. I bought a keyboard to practice playing on too so I know how music “works”. I use to be a decent DJ but stopped when I realized it wasn’t leading anywhere.

Then learn how to make music, and as you practice different techniques and different styles, there will be things that you'll keep doing, and like a desire path (pic related) , your music is going to be shaped by repetition, and your "sound" will start to emerge.

Don't worry about making a specific genre. At least for now.
Instead, worry about learning as many different techniques as possible, and when you have a solid grasp on the production process, and you'll be able to make virtually any genre, you'll be able to choose what to make.
But that won't probably happen, since at that point you'll have grown so much that you'll already know what you like to make and what "your genre" is.

If you decide to make a specific genre anyway, despite not being good at production, just keep in mind that your music will be cringy as fuck and anyone who knows anything about production will laugh at you, thinking you're just another kid trying to make because he thinks the idea of making is cool.

Take your time, learn the process itself, and not only you'll be a good producer at the end, but you'll also have a lot of fun during the process.

TL;DR: Just learn how to produce everything you can and focus on making cool shit instead of blocking yourself about stupid dilemmas that don't even make any sense.

First song.

Need advice on mastering and pretty much all things that are wrong/can be improved.

clyp.it/4oavxcrf

Thanks a lot for taking the time to give me this advice.

No problem my friend.
If you have any question, feel free to ask.
I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

Any advice for composing different segments of a track?
I keep making great bits for loops but nothing else.
Intros, chorus, endings, can't figure it out.

Literally copy songs that are similar to what you're trying to make.
Copy their arrangement, transitions, etc. but use you6 notes and sounds.
After you do this a few times with different songs, you're gonna develop a "feel" of how a song should develop, and it will come naturally to you.

Also pay attention to those things when you listen to other people's songs.
Count the bars, take mental note of why things are this or that way, etc.

ThisI'm new to all this as well, had the same problems as you did.

What I did was I found a song I liked, searched "song chords", found the chords and basically rebuilt the song in FL studio. That way I could see how the song was structured, what a verse, chorus, bridge could look like and for how many bars each of the sections go on for.

So i have just recently got a bunch of free shit from my work (i work in a music shop) i dont know if any of it is good, most of it seems decent but ive worked with a DAW most the time does /prod/ think a mikrokorg, sp 404 and a yamaha dx21 set up any good? Or should i just sell this shit?

Made a little composition purely made out of sounds from my bass.... thoughts?

instaud.io/1oRp

>2017
>not using splice

Its a pipe organ