youtube.com/watch?v=NLWEpS5ixO8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah

listen to it and figure it out for yourself

but Sup Forums is my guiding light

HEY YOU

Yes. Great really. And so is the film.

AAAAA HAVE BECOME

It's different than other PF albums. I's pretty good, totally not depressive.

Bloody brilliant I say
If you haven't listened to at least Comfortably Numb you're missing out

The Trial is the best track

This

Not just good, genius.

I prefer Waiting for the Worms.

Is this the (You)chain of favorite The Wall songs?
youtube.com/watch?v=NLWEpS5ixO8

>brits praising their music
yuck

Yes, very good actually. Don't mind the usual Sup Forumsdrones who hate it for whatever stupid reason

CUMFORTABLY BUM

SO YA
THOUGHTCHA
MIGHT LIKE
TO GO TO THE SHOW

About half of it is good. Would have been their best album if they'd cut half the filler.

more than half the album is weird opera shit.

hey you, goodbye blue sky, comfortably numb, another brick in the wall pt 1 and 2, mother and run like hell are the only tracks i dont skip
because those are the only actual songs on the double album.

Nobody Home is actually the best track on it

Goodbye blue sky and young lust are the best songs

wahhhhhhh my dad died when I was an infant: the album

>complaining about ''''filler'''' on double-albums
couldn't you think of criticism that is less cliché than that?

No! Avoid at all costs!

>surely there is no reason a specific criticism is brought up again and again
Please think harder about music

You have to get past the fact that the Wall is paced more like a movie than a normal album. Plus all the "filler" is used to advance the story in some way and actually has artistic value, so I wouldn't call it filler in the sense that it's just in there to take up space

if only the album had 'when the tigers broke free'

jesus roger we get it your dad got killed in WW2 shut the fuck up already

OUT THERE IN THE COLD

i enjoy playing 'in the flesh?' and 'hey you' really loud on my speakers and i enjoy lying in my bed in the foetal position listening to 'mother'

DSOTM >> Wish You Were Here > The Wall

thats very retarded. im listening to an album. not listening to a movie. this is a valid criticism.

all the fiiller shit should have been on the movie and just the movie. the wall could have been an 7 or 8 track album and it would have been just as revered.

In the flesh, all three parts of Another Brick in The Wall, Goodbye blue sky, Young lust, Mother, Hey you, Comfortably numb and One of my turns are some of my favourite tracks
The album tells a story some of us can relate to, and it does have filler, but since it takes part in the story, it's alright.
Listen to it and find out for yourself user.

>Wall is paced more like a movie
But it's not, it's an album.
>Plus all the "filler" is used to advance the story
1) it is not necessary as the major plot points are covered with the worthwhile songs. A listener can easily surmise the narrative.
2) there is little musical substance to the "filler", which is why it is weak.
3) Oh you like being spoonfed plot points?

animals > meddle > all other pink floyd albums > except the final cut and momentary lapse of good songwriting

is it good or bad that i consider pink floyd a guilty pleasure? i love a lot of their music but i hate talking to people about them because their fans are so wanky

Sounds like your fault for talking to children about music

true, fair enough. still, i have yet to meet someone in real life who likes pink floyd but isn't a complete fucking loser (including myself)

Breaking the normal conventions of an album doesn't make it bad. Musically the "filler" is still good imo and they add more than just plot points, they help add to the atmosphere and character developments. Give some examples of songs that you think are filler and I'd be able to argue better

if you walk up to any random chick with a dsotm t shirt on expecting to get into a deep conversation about piper at the gates of dawn you are going to have a bad time.

dont do that.

It's a good album but very uneven and not even close to great, realistically maybe their 5th or 6th best. When held up next to WYWH, Animals, Meddle, DSOTM, PATGOD or SFOS, it doesn't even really compare. It's more than just a little morose. The epitome of pained paranoia. That said, it's not a bad introduction for someone new to Pink Floyd, as it's fairly accessible.

>Breaking the normal conventions of an album doesn't make it bad.

i would have to agree with you on that, however, this is not the case for the wall. over half is some whiny opera shit that sounds like its coming from a carnival fair or something its something i wouldnt be caught dead with on my ipod or coming on in a shuffle when im trying to fuck someone.

Not that guy, but Vera and Bring the Boys Back Home feel extraneous to me.

I think out of all the songs on The Wall, Vera would be the easiest to cut out. I take Vera and Bring the Boys Back Home as Pink recollecting his past. Vera adds to the idea that the world seems hopeless at that point and that no one has the desire for a better future like they did in the war. Then Bring the Boys Back Home, which Roger Waters himself described as the central song of the album shows that the war still had effects on society long after it was over. Pink thinking about the war in this song also does a good job of leading into his Nazi-like behavior in In the Flesh

this guy is right

>momentary lapse of good songwriting

>Breaking the normal conventions of an album doesn't make it bad
Write. The poor musicality of those narrative tracks is what makes it bad.

See Tommy to know how it can be done.
>Musically the "filler" is still good imo and they add more than just plot points, they help add to the atmosphere and character developments
How so?
>I'd be able to argue better
Sounds like you have a poor argument to begin with.

Do you talk about music to people above the age of 30?

Hmmmm, that's kind of a stretch. Admittedly, they both have a nostalgic feel to them, but again, those two are the only songs that seem like filler to me. They stick out like genital warts. All the other songs fit stylistically, lyrically and/or thematically.

>How so?
I explained here why I think those two tracks aren't filler. I'm saying that If you gave me specific tracks I'd be able to give clearer points because just saying "filler" isn't very specific as to why all the songs fit. And "poor musicality" is pretty subjective. Again, I could debate that better if given specific tracks
Also
>write

Like I said, I think Vera is the easiest to cut, but I still think the two tracks flow pretty well stylistically and narrative-wise, but they're connection with their place in the album is probably the least obvious.

>pretty subjective

you are literally the only one here defending the wall's filler shit. 3/4 other anons are against you. its clear whos right and whos wrong just by sample.

>I explained here why I think those two tracks aren't filler.
No I didn't see any musical analysis. Try again
>And "poor musicality" is pretty subjective.
How so? You don't know music theory?
>Also
>write
Ah! Out of arguments so you go to typos? Just stop posting.

I bet you think of the White Album as having bunch of filler as well

Not him but no, it has none.

Not that guy but the White Album may just have the most filler of any album ever.

How so?

>No I didn't see any musical analysis. Try again
I explained why they fit thematically with the album and what role they play in the story. Musically I think they're both quite interesting, they are very different from each other but still have a very nostalgic feel. The strings and guitar on Vera make it very melancholic. This combined with Water's vocal delivery do a great job of adding to Pink's sense of hopelessness and discontent with the world as he reflects upon his childhood. Bring the Boys Back Home also has great vocal delivery and in my opinion it's intensity does a great job of breaking up the very mellow tracks that recede it and the beginning of Comfortably Numb. The instrumentation adds to it's war theme and sounds like it would be from some war film or something. Then the latter half of the song is a great intro to Comfortably Numb.

Also nice quads

I don't think that an opinion is right or wrong based on how many people believe it.

>I explained why they fit thematically
You mean you explained why the *lyrics* fitted thematically (which, as I said, only murked the plot thus being poor storytelling and plot pacing). I am discussing the musicality, the lack of substance.
>the instruments make me feel...
Not what I'm asking.

Have you actually listened to the White Album?
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Wild Honey Pie
The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
Martha My Dear
I'm So Tired
Piggies
Rocky Racoon
Don't Pass Me By
Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
I Will
Julia
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Long, Long, Long
Honey Pie
Savoy Truffle
Cry Baby Cry
Good Night

All filler.

>All filler.
How so?

>I'm So Tired
>Rocky Racoon
>filler
Fuck off idiot

>Not what I'm asking.
Then what are you asking? Can you explain why musically they aren't good tracks?

Rocky Raccoon is an awful, cringe inducing song with awkward lyrics and musical phrasing. .

>Then what are you asking?
If you don't know, why are you posting on a music board
>Can you explain why musically they aren't good tracks?
Burden of proof is on you

Lazy, disjointed, half finished, undercooked songs=filler

im the one you replied to. ive only ever heard helter skelter and blackbird and it has 20 other songs on the album so probably.

You guys are tremendously missing the point. Your favorite cherrypicked songs on the album and the ones you hate don't matter, trying to trim the white album down takes away from the sheer heft and length that makes it so legendary in the first place.
Tommy's not a great example for how to do a concept album the right way.

>I don't think that an opinion is right or wrong based on how many people believe it

that can be very dangerous thinking depending on what context

Yes
But is no the jem that Fandango said it is, not even the best Pink Floyd album
Objectively is like their third or four best album

I rescind the second part of this, I mixed up Tommy and Quadrophenia in my head. Quadrophenia sucks.

correct answer

>the filler is what makes the white album great
This is how retarded you sound

I just can't help but roll my eyes when people try to do this. No matter what songs on it you would single out, millions of people would miss the ones you cut. And they should because most people know that most canonical double albums earn their length.

>If you don't know, why are you posting on a music board
I explained that Vera is nostalgic and melancholic which is why it's a powerful song. What more is there to say? I also explained why thematically it fits within the album. I explained that the instrumentation in Bring the Boys Back Home fits with the lyrical content of the song and why it's juxtaposition makes the album flow better. What more do you want? How the music fits artistically within the album as well as how it makes you feel is what is important so that's what I explained. If there something more important, please enlighten me.

>Burden of proof is on you
You made the claim that The Wall has filler so I'd assume you have some points to back it up. I'd like to know why you think what you do. Another thing, the two songs together are only 3 minutes of an over 80 minute album, so even if they were completely void of merit they barely make a dent in the album. Again, if you have problems with any of the other songs I'd like to know which ones.

>millions of people would miss lazy, disjointed, half finished, undercooked songs

>Lazy, disjointed
That's not what makes something filler
>half finished
[citation needed]
>Tommy's not a great example for how to do a concept album the right way.
How so?

>How so?
See Read threads before you respond to people.

Looking at the tracklist I see none of those. Care to list them?

The Wall is a lyrical masterpiece. I get shivers listening to it

But, I believe their best album from a musical standpoint is Dark Side of the Moon.

Wanna know how I know you're underage?

Listen to it then watch the movie.

"Hur hur, some guy likes their mainstream stuff, must be in middle school"
I'm not even the guy you replied to, it's just so freaking infuriating. Not everyone likes Learning to Fly or even gives a damn about their lesser listened to hits. Doesn't imply anything about age

>the wall is a lyrical masterpiece
>best album from a musical standpoint is Dark Side of the Moon
I love Pink Floyd and these are both terrible opinions.

Can someone explain the meaning of another brick in the wall to me

Every brick is another that closes him off from the world.

>not totally depressive

wat

it's easily the most depressive of them all

Opened this thread to post this.

>You made the claim that The Wall has filler
You mean the commonly held belief? No the initial claim (by you) was that it didn't. The burden of proof is on you

Still waiting for your harmonic analysis of the chord structures. Where is it? Or are you going to just keep talking about feels?

Reply properly the first time and there wouln't be a problem

>half finished
How were they not finished?

Godlike animation in that.

man, get over it. stop taking out your frustrations over not being able to make anything useful out of your music degree on random anons

>recording bands and being a session player isn't useful
OK

doesn't stop you from being a pretentious douchnozzle

How am I that?

>Still waiting for your harmonic analysis of the chord structures. Where is it? Or are you going to just keep talking about feels?

some people just get feels from music. that's the point of music, innit? yet for some reason you seem to think that for anyone to have a valid opinion about music they have to write you an essay about the nuances of the arrangements and composition for their opinion to be taken seriously.

the guy gave you a thematic analysis of the content and how it contributes to the album overall, then you completely disregarded it because you want him to explain something that he clearly doesn't understand as well as you. so what, you know music theory. he understands lyrics and themes. you two could make a hell of a songwriting duo, with him on lyrics and you writing the music. but instead you drive a wedge, instead of finding common ground and explaining how you see the chord structure of the content in question, as is your specialty apparently, you shit on him for not knowing it in the first place. you're being a grade-A dickweasel

Personally, when I'm feeling depressed I resonate with the lyrics and album as a whole. At certain points it feels like the band's best album. However, if I'm not depressed it feels way too self-indulgent like Roger Waters just wanted to jerk himself off. My recommendation, listen to side 3 of the album (Hey You through Comfortably Numb) and if you like it listen to it start to finish

What's the best Pink Floyd song and why is it Dogs?

one does not simply declare any one pink floyd song to be the best

It's fantastic. Listen ASAP

So instead of even attempting to prove your own position your just going to be a dick? I don't have a very deep knowledge of music theory so I'd like to hear you explain why those songs are bad musically