Essential Sup Forums documentaries

bands, musicians, music in general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes
youtube.com/watch?v=nrmR_F5XgwQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bumping for interest

This is a really good primer for the rise and fall of British synthpop as well as some industrial music

Final interview seems to suggest the over saturation of synthpop by the late 80s caused the rise of britpop

youtube.com/watch?v=TK1P93r9xes

The Slint doccumentary
Breadcrumb Trail

David Bowie : The Last Five Years and
Scott Walker: 30 Century Man

Anyone seen this one?

Do biopics and movies count? If you're interested in Joy Division or the general Factory Records scene, I can't recommend these enough:
Control (2007)
24 Hour Party People (2002)

Headbanger's Journey

>Don't Look Back
From the great documentarian D.A. Pennebaker, Bob Dylan on tour in 1965. Essential viewing, got a Criterion Collection re-release

>Inside Björk
Inside Björk was the official DVD released by Björk on August 23, 2003. It contains a 2002 documentary outlining her career, from her early Icelandic bands, to joining The Sugarcubes to her own work up to 2002. It also features interviews with Sean Penn, Lars von Trier, Thom Yorke, Beck, RZA, Elton John, Missy Elliott, the late Alexander McQueen.

Forgot pic.

>A Skin Too Few: The Days of Nick Drake
youtube.com/watch?v=nrmR_F5XgwQ

Control is melodramatic shit

So is Joy Division.

The cover of dead souls though makes the move pretty good

But it's dance rock, just ignore Ian's shitty lyrics

looks good! I'm not OP but thanks for the recommendation. I'd love to own the copy though, thats a sick cover design.

The greatest musical documentary is still DiG! Only one I've seen that transcends it's genre and subject matter and becomes a piece of entertaining cinema where fact, faction and engaging storytelling all coalesce and overlap. You could call it dishonest film making at times but it lives up to that old adage of not letting the truth get in the way of a good yarn. The only thing to come close is like... Some Kind of Monster. I've been able to show DiG! to people who have no interest in either band and watch them become entranced in this films druggy haze of douchebags, pretentious geniuses and the search for artistic success, whatever that may be. If you haven't seen it, this is likely better and more grand than any tale of fiction tou were planning to watch.

>Anton sent us shotgun shells with our names on it

Oh him.

That's what I thought too, has a really comfy late 90's-early 2000's vibe to it and encapsulates all her styles pretty well.

Who is Harry Nilsson?

me

Muscle Shoals
The Last Waltz (has no one really mentioned this?)
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream
Don't Look Back and No Direction Home respectively
Glen Campbell I'll Be Me
Gimme Shelter
Neil Young Heart of Gold
Lots of great ones really, just naming a few favorites.

Muscle Shoals is a must watch.

Dig is good, but the chronology of it is all over the place, it covers maybe 3 years of BJM at the same time as 8 of the Dandys

Beware of Mr Baker
The Last Waltz
Gimmie Shelter
20000 Days on Earth

>Beware of Mr Baker
Really enjoyed that one, it's an interesting look at a character a lot of people have forgotten about.

Doesn't matter though as I said

bump

I mean it's not technically a documentary but

A lot of 20000 Days on Earth seems really self indulgent on Cave's part. But looking past that, its very good.