What is a scaruffi review really worth?

How many drones does he actually have?
Which reviews do you believe he got wrong?
Which reviews did he get right?
Post any albums he introduced you to.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1aaCUQJLiZA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you aren't reading it in Italian, not much. Huge amounts of his site are grossly mistranslated.

What's his bare minimum for good?

After reading the nonsense he has written about jazz and classical I really can't take anything he says seriously

What did he say specifically that you disagree with?

What do you mean by this?

>I am more interested in emotion than in technique
>disregards live albums and standards
that's just retarded

>I am more interested in emotion than in technique
This is the basis for any review, how are you this thick? Every thought you have spurs from an emotion.

no, I don't think you get what I'm saying. I'm saying that disregarding live albums and standards AND claiming to be more interested in emotion than in technique is retarded

The stuff about emotion/technique isn't necessarily wrong... It just seems like he misunderstands the fact that technique is a tool for conveying emotion.

The stuff about live albums and standards is asinine and is why I think his opinion is worthless.

Maybe he's listened to a lot of rock music and maybe he has some interesting opinions about that genre, but I just don't care enough about rock or take it seriously enough to bother reading a critic's opinion about it.

>This is the basis for any review
No, this is the basis of BAD reviews. Whether music "delivers emotion" or not is 100% subjective and should be the secondary focus of a review.

But isn't a review or an opinion primarily personally sourced?

An opinion is. A good review should be an explanation of the opinion explained using objective terms.

Can you explain how he is NOT doing exactly that please?

I probably disagree with a lot of his opinions but what exactly is the problem here?

No. Maybe he does sometimes. I don't know. I don't know because I don't read his stuff. I don't read his stuff because of how idiotic the stuff is that I HAVE read. My argument wasn't that Scaruffi doesn't do that. This was a separate argument about what a review should or shouldn't be.

scruffy is just a meme, no one takes him seriously. We just like to lol at his stupid reviews and the weird shit he writes about refrigerator noise and how the age of consent should be lowered

Everything is a meme. LOL /mu is for retards

What did he mean by this?

i like the beatles. he doesnt so i dislike him

He ranks based on innovation, there's no reason to get offended by anything he says.

So if he's given a good review of an album it's solely because it is innovative?

yes. its not hard to understand. and he's usually right.

Can you give examples of when he's right and when he's wrong?

>Which reviews did he get right?
I'd say he's right 80% of the times.

>but I just don't care enough about rock or take it seriously enough to bother reading a critic's opinion about it.
>Every genre other than jazz and classical music is worthless: The post

>How many drones does he actually have?
99.9% of his readerbase is Sup Forumstants

Nirvana's Unplugged in New York singlehandedly proves all of this wrong.

He's not wrong at all. Most live albums are shit, listening to endless covers is boring (unless they are remarkably reinvented), and technique when used just for the sake of muh playing rather than conveying emotion is as dull as an idiot strumming 3 chords.

Got into Scarufficore in my early 20s. My untrained ears could barely stand any of his recommendations. Now almost 29 and love most of the stuff and think he's by far the best "critic" of popular music there is.

The older I get the more I agree with him in most matters. I mean sure when you're 17 and everything is new and wonderful any old indie ditty can resonate with you. As you age and get more exposure and experience you begin to appreciate scarufficore.

Also for entry to scarufficore I would recommend focusing on The Good Son.

What live album from your favorite band did he disregard? I've seen plenty of live albums that get ratings if they're actually an important part of an artists discography (A Live One from Phish, High Rise self titled live album etc)

he's correct

>How many drones does he actually have?
there are millions of us warriors of scaruffi

>Which reviews do you believe he got wrong?
none

>Which reviews did he get right?
all

>Post any albums he introduced you to.
rock bottom, acid mothers temple, the list goes on

he's 100% correct fuck live records

Do you also judge music by originality and innovation is that why you wrote this? If not please go on.

I personally think you are overestimating the drone numbers.

Have you listened to everything he rated over a 7?

Why is that? Is it because you are attracted to innovation in music?

I only ask because a previous poster has mentioned that his scores are based on how innovative the projects he reviews are.

One live album proves all live albums are amazing?

Anyone notice the proclivity to talk in binary polar opposites on /mu?

Also, all of you are very very stupid.

he's right

show me one live album as good as the best studio albums of any genre

he introduced me to like half of my favorite music. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that since it is like my taste is somewhat predictable. I sometimes just listen to shit at random, but it is just like way more instantly gratifying to go to his eights for a decade and know I have a very high probability of liking it.

Live at Leeds
Band of Gypsys
Live at the Harlem Square Club 1963

brings some originality and is genuine

if scaruffi says it's good i'll give it a listen, i generally like the positive side of his taste
if he shits on something i like though it's fine he's a grumpy old italian
Sup Forumstants have extremely unhealthy relationships to music criticism but it's mostly cool imo

this
as a general rule, I never trust any critic when they're shitting on an album

youtube.com/watch?v=1aaCUQJLiZA

Scaruffi is a fag, who gives a shit his reviews are worth only what he believes they're worth only to himself same as any other reviewer.
Honestly what band is using "i got an 8/10 from Scaruffi" to book larger venues? None of them are because he's a nobody.

good taste

I disagree with Scruffy on a lot, but what he wrote there is pretty true.