Sup Sup Forums. Firefighter/EMT-IV here, how about a first responder stories thread...

Sup Sup Forums. Firefighter/EMT-IV here, how about a first responder stories thread? These are usually pretty fun after I down a couple of beers. I'll start with a funny one that happened last shift.

>dispatched to unconscious person following a fall
>updated dispatch information comes up, RP (reporting party) saying that the subject fell after becoming unconscious
>while en-eroute we recognize that the address is a local home where they care for special needs elderly folks
>first arriving unit states CPR is in progress
>arrive on scene and find a pulseless and apenic re-re (retard) on the floor
>we work him like any other code
>get IV access, tube him, push some epi and bicarb
>I step in and do chest compressions
>we have some retarded old gentleman sitting about 5 feet away asking "a doin'" (what are you doing in retard speak) over and over and over again.
>try to hold my shit together while working this code
>once I swap out he keeps asking us that
>asks me what my name is
>tell him and ask him his name
>get pulses back after working him for 20 minutes

OP is a lardass pretending to be a firefighter

Abandon thread

If only.

How are your shifts organized? 24/24 on/off? How does the wonky schedule screw with your home life/family?

>family member is an MD
>taking vitals & history on a morbidly obese basketball-American woman
>stethoscope to her back, tells her "big breaths."
>she responds, "I know dey is!"
>RNs all have to excuse themselves, family member is left alone trying to keep a straight face with pt.

Some people probably recognize these stories if you frequent these threads. Sorry for the repeats. I can also tell some stories I have been told from my coworkers if you guys are interested if you are tired of mine.

>3AM
>middle class lake side neighborhood
>dispatched to a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head
>the call is like 3 blocks away so we just stage at the station and wait for law enforcement to get on scene
>law passes by like 2 minutes later
>arrive on scene after the medic unit since I was on the engine at the time
>sheriff deputy is suctioning the airway while the medic draws up meds to RSI (rapid sequence intubation)
>guy is laying there in a pool of with the lower half his face blown off
>he is awake and watching us, blood pooling in his airway
>I take over suctioning and get to work
>the guys lower jaw is blown inside out
>chunks of jaw bone sticking out of his flesh, some with teeth exposed
>tongue is gone
>every breath he takes he is basically gulping blood into his lungs>his wife and daighter are standing aside watching frantically
>he is literally looking us in the eyes as we try to save his life
>we launch airlift and send them to the LZ
>we sedate and paralyze him then intubate
>I ride with the medics to the landing zone
>we transfer care to the flight crew and get back to the rig
>i look down and see my boots covered in blood and my pants soaked in blood
>everything in my pockets including my phone, pocket notebook and cash are soaked in blood too, even my bare skin has dried blood on it

>self inflicted GSW to the head
>his wife and daughter are standing aside watching
What kind of cocksucker would do that with his family standing right there?

I work 48 hours on and 96 off so it's just two days on/4 days off. We get vacation and sick time as well so it's not bad. I work 10 days a month. If I take 2 vacation days I get 10 days off so thats not terrible. It doesn't screw with my life much because I'm only 22 and I have been with my girlfriend for 6 years, and she has known me before this job. The hardest part is getting you family to understand the stress you deal with at work and understand your coping mechanisms. Thats honestly the hardest part. She never understands why I'm in a shit mood after driving 500 miles a shift and seeing the shit we do.

A lot actually. A large percentage of suicides seem to follow an altercation with as significant other or parents.We just had a kid (like 15 years old) shoot himself in the head with an AR his parents didnt even know he had after fighting with his mom.

This is useful info, thanks. Considering EMT training myself.
>coping mechanisms
Tell me about these: what are yours? What are the most common ones in the profession - black humor? Booze?

I smoke weed daily, I go through about 3oz per month. I drink frequently and am a borderline sex addict. Honestly threads like this on Sup Forums or telling "war stories" to my friends at parties are a great way for me to de-stress.

I would say booze is the most common. I don't know a single coworker over 21 who does not drink in my profession, even the religious anti-alcohol people turn eventually.

>i know dey is!

Forgot to add, I use hobbies as a great way to de-stress as well, and for me that's guns.

>it's a fall day, about 3:30pm
>dispatched to a structure fire, one person possibly trapped
>law enforcement arrives on scene, two officers run inside and get out the homeowner, one person sleeping upstairs in the attic bedroom
>first due engine (2 man crew) arrives and stretches a line and gets ready to make entry
>bystander grabs ladder of the engine and ladders the home and breaks the 2nd floor window with a rock
>bedroom flashes over
>I arrive on scene and gear up to be the 1st floor interior attack crew
>get swapped out after a while and go rest
>i strip my gear and go sit on the curb
>crowds have gathered with camping chairs and professional photographers are taking pictures
>after we rehab we get swapped back in to exterior attack crew
>news helicopter is circling over recording us live on the 5 'o clock news
>after a long fight we get the fire under control and knocked down (it went from contained in the room to self venting through the roof)
>after it's all said and done we go and get the body from the second floor
>person is a female, charred to a crisp, flesh is black with skin tears exposing muscle tissue
>her skull cap is blown off and brain is missing
>I can literally see inside her brain cavity
>we remove the body to the coroners van waiting below
>dominos delivers pizza and wings
>eat wings with the cops who ran in while the other crews overhaul
>turns out I went to elementary and high school with the girl who died
>fast forward a few years later
>find myself on multiple youtube videos taken by bystanders of the fire

that's pretty cool how the worst wrecked one was crashed in a little tent

ITT: bullshitters.

That's a helicopter that crashed in seattle

What next... hmmmm

>on a chest pain call
>male has chest pain of a known etiology, hsi cardiologist is 80 miles away at a college hospital
>we are getting him to sign out AMA
>tones go out for CPR in progress on an infant
>we would be first due if it wasnt for this
>we respond and arrive as the 2nd due medic unit, 2 command officers on scene
>walk into a small home and see the parents crying on the couch
>all our crews are crowded in bedroom
>i looked through the cracks and see a small pale set of legs on the floor moving with every chest compression
>i stand outside and wait to get swapped in
>it is finally my turn and I go inside and start CPR
>kid is only 14 months old so I do it with a few fingers
>his brother, maybe a year older is sleeping in a separate crib/playpen a few feet away
>kid is intubated and being bagged with a BVM
>we work the kid for a while
>I can feel his lungs inflate with every breath under my fingertips
>I get swapped out to bag/breathe for the kid
>we work him some more then call it
>we all walk out somber like in single file past the parents, they instantly know what this means
>the lead medic breaks the news to them, they begin to cry even harder
>we go outside, pat eachother on the back and say we did everything we could then clear the call
>get called right after to an old woman with chest pain but was really just needing someone to talk to
>had Acute traumatic stress for about a month following
>still have PTSD from this job 4 years later

Why do people say this every thread? This shit isn't hard to believe, people die every day B.

Bullshit. EMTs don’t “call it” on scene. Fucking doorknob. Just sit there and do CPR? My ass.

How about some trauma patients?

>dispatched to a syncope episode
>get cancelled en-route
>immediately get dispatched to a motorcycle accident, 2 occupants, one unconscious, possible CPR in progress
>call is on a major US coastal 2 lane highway
>we are about 5 miles away since we almost made it on scene to the next call
>arrive on scene, road has cars stopped on both sides
>one patient laying in the roadway in a pool of blood
>one patient walking around
>the patient on the ground is a 30 something year old female, still partially conscious
>both arms are shattered all the way up
>she was passenger and her husband was driving>they hit a guardrail after failing to navigate a turn going 50-60mph
>she has open fractures and is laying in blood
>I go to get IV access
I grab her right arm and can feel bones crunching as I hold it, it is literally flopping around in my hand
>I hold tight and get an IV, with a crowd of people recording us on their cell phones
>She is telling me how much it hurts
>I tell her its going to be okay and that we are going to put her on a helicopter to a trauma center
>we eventually sedate and intubate her
>its getting dark now
>we transport her to the LZ, I have to get on the PA and order bystanders out of the roadway
>take her to the LZ and transfer care to the flight crew
>She gets airlifted and lives to ride another day

HAHA in my county EMT's can call it on scene if they meet certain criteria, and I work on an ALS rig anyways faggot so it was a medic who called it, but i still have the power to if i want

>"working a code" means just doing CPR
>Cucked EMT student spotted
Go back to class

>lead medic
What part of that made you think an EMT called it?

swear i saw this story on reddit.

No I havent posted on Reddit, but this happen a lot all over the country every summer so I'm not surprised

it was just the phone covered in blood was on that too. not denying your credentials or anything.

Any interest in any specific stories?

>dispatched to assist coroner in removal of a corpse
>Body is in a small camper trailer
>its the middle of winter and the guy had a space heater on the whole time
>been dead about a weak
>He is starting to putrify
>Every movement we make with him you can hear gasses bubbling out of his mouth and ass
>his skin is sloughing off, including his fingers almost falling off
>his feet near the heater are mummified
>he has no sheet underneath so I grab his legs and my partner grabs his shoulders
>we move him off the bed he is on, cramped in the back tucked in a corner
>as we move him to the floor, I can feel his skin and flesh coming off his legs under my gloves
>random dead body fluid on my gloves, and I'm in a tyvek suit
>gloves are taped to the suit
>my gloves rip and I get body fluid on my hands

going to be getting into volunteer firefighting that also does EMS response before attempting to join the police force here in Canada. Mostly just to show that because I had anxiety in the past I can still handle very stressful situations and cope well; what am I in for?

Here is a dumb question.

Suppose you get a call and the person is obviously DRT (Dead Right There), Code Black, etc., ... would you prefer they be in a body bag already so they aren't so hard to move?

OP here, read the stories and you'll get a glimpse. I can't speak for Canada, but in the US about 60% of our calls are total bullshit/blatant 911 abuse. The cool ones get posted on here. Most of my job involves dealing with homeless/tweakers/scumbags of society. Gore in real life isn't bad, at least when you are the "hero" responding to help, you are focused on your job and the tasks you have to do to accomplish your mission. It's the stress afterwards you have to watch out for. I/ve had to work in front of reporters/ cameramen, news helicopters, grieving families, crowds of bystanders, sometimes angry bystanders, and your experience coworkers. Death for me is easy, it's the stress of having to be the "hero" that gets to me. When someone calls 911 they expect the most highly trained and top notch individuals to respond and solve their problem, and sometimes that isn't always easy to deal with.

Most of the time we don't help the coroner pick 'em up. The cops do, but we get called out for the difficult/fat ones. I don't really care either way. It's about the same. I have no problem touching a corpse anymore. Neither way is easier than the other for the most part.

Okay, thanks.

Reason I ask is that I got some pretty bad news, second opinion, etc., so the question before me is sort of a "where" and "how" one.

What a load of shit.

What kind of bad news?

>says the neet

Who are the second responders?

They're EMT's, firemen, cops. They're not fucking "first responders".

The first responder is the guy who calls 911 in the first place.

I can sympathize with you. I'm actually a mall cop in a mall thats situated in a shitty end of town (i know mall cop big fucken deal) but people don't realize the magnitude and variety of calls we actually deal with from domestics to medicals to people on warrants. I know what you mean about not feeling the stress quite till afterwards. Honestly though I think me having a history of anxiety the whole medication thing and learning cognotive behavioral practices so that i'm now getting off the meds and am able to deal very well will help me in the long run. seems that when shit hits the fan I just focus on the task at hand it's after that you're kinda like "well that was pretty fucked" . just hope the stigma of anxiety won't fuck me over in the future.

>The first responder is the guy who calls 911 in the first place.
If you want to nitpick, sure and I would say only if they initiate some kind of first aid or care, but 99% of the time thats not the case. In general most people know what I mean when I say first responder.

>If you want to nitpick, sure
I'm a loser on the internet. What the fuck else am I gonna do? Be reasonable?

Hey wait, I'm one of those! Washingtonfag?

Of course not, and we are on Sup Forums, there's no expectation of being reasonable.

>dispatched to a welfare check
>woman hasnt heard from her kids all day
>they are with her soon to be ex husband
>cops respond and smell gas at the door (they dont say whether natural gas or gasoline, but this neighborhood has no natural gas lines
>we stage and wait for cops to get a search warrant since nobody is answering the door
>cops get a warrant and call aid in
>guy smothered his infant child with a gasoline soaked rag, poured gas all through the house
>he then blew his brains out, thinking the gunshot would ignite the fumes
>his 4 year old kid is watching TV in the living room
>his brains are still dripping from the ceiling
>half of his skull has been blown out into the hallway

Yes.

pretty frequent, honestly

Paramedic here
>work and live about 30 miles from where I grew up and went to school
>small farming town, everyone knows each other
>get dispatched to a call in that town
>dispatcher gives us the address and I immediately know who it is
>my teacher from 3rd-12th grade
>welfare check so we’re unsure about what happened
>arrive on scene, police and volunteer emts are already there
>front doors open
>look around the corner and see him hunched over on the sofa with his eyes and mouth wide open
>bullet hole in the ceiling

Says the big hero with the tiny ego an vivid imagination.

paramedics: you ever have a go at the sexier female corpses before the meat wagon hauls them off?

they're just sitting there, daring you to dive in.

The kind where five year survival rates look like betting at the roulette wheel.

>get called to stage for law enforcement
>male possibly with a hostage
>says he shot his wife and 3 others
>SWAT negotiates with him but he offs himself in front of them
>we stage down the road near a media camp
>news tried getting my crwe on camera but we get back in our rig and proceed to the scene
>guy shot himself and killed his wife and 2 step kids and their neighbor after she intervened
>he sent them all to a chicken coup and shot them execution style
>ATF arrived on scene before we even cleared the call

>tiny ego
>implying I need to inflate my ego when my job already speaks for itself
>I dont need to pretend I'm better than you because my actions daily at work prove it
>I could probably take your bitch telling her these stories at a bar

Just because you dont believe them doesn't mean they didn't happen.

Moar stories

>monkeys understand object permanence
>niggers can't

Roulette is easy if there's no minimum bets.
Bet
red or black, and green
Evens or odds,
2 board sections/3
The remaining third plastered in the numbers you haven't covered with evens/color. Either singles or split between 2 or 4 numbers.
Even when you loose you win, but sometimes you hit the green, or a specific number, or a combination of even, red, and on the correct third.

That's some shit ain't it?

Hey dude, if you're real, thanks for everything you do.
First responders are the lifeblood of our society, and it doesn't go unnoticed. Thanks.

This

Pretty frequently actually.

An uncle of mine committed suicide one night while his four daughters were all awake. They were all below the age of 9. They watched as my aunt tried frantically to pump his chest and clog the massive hole in his temple.

Now 10 years later im surprised they are all normal and live a good life. Maybe the 2 that were under 5 years dont remember but the other 2 im sure they do. my aunt is doing ok also, she was the one that told me how everything transpired a couple years ago.

Sure, moar stories it is...

>dispatched to a motorcycle accident
>one occupant thrown from the bike, unknown if injured
>arrive on scene and find a male about 15 feet from his bike
>failed to navigate a turn, hit a ditch then flipped and hit his head on a stump
>his helmet got ripped off his head
>we backboard him and load him up
>he's still barely awake
>all he can say is "Ow" and "This hurts" and "I feel like throwing up"
>his scalp is peeked back off of his skull
>the top of his skull is crushed in, among other injuries such as his legs
>we RSI him and take him to a helicopter
>he lives to be a dumbass another day

Quite a few of these involving motorcycles, maybe take the hint.
This is my first call ever.
>about 3:30pm in the summer
>dispatched to a motorcycle accident
>2 occupants, one unconscious
>arrive on scene and find bystanders doing CPR on someone
>step out and see a woman laying next to a guardrail, lifeless
>blood coming from her mouth, her lower leg is bent sideways
>we hook her up to the monitor and pronounce her dead
>link up with the crews treating her husband, who was thrown over the guardrail into the bushes
>we backboard him and another crew takes him to the LZ to get put on a helo
>while wheeling him to the ambulance, he keeps asking "Is my wife okay?" over and over, even though she is laying about 10 feet away under a white sheet dead, he just cant see due to the C-Collar
>tells cops that she was driving
>he later is found to have spinal fractures among other injuries
>he later confessed to DUI and admits he was driving
>tried to throw his wife under the bus until he finds out she is dead

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. To me it's just like showing up at work everyday like at any other job, except I get opportunities to do cool shit.

So if someone were going to, say, die in a hotel room, what would make it easier for you?

IN EMT-B course right now, hoping to get experience to go to PA school for emergency medicine. thank you for all you do

It's all easy after a certain point, people die and it's just "meh", it is what it is. I like seeing variety and have morbid curiosity to me so I like seeing fucked up shit. My biggest gripes are fat people and system abusers. I don't care how "difficult" someone makes it whether they blow their brains out or whatever, as long as they dont bring other people with them. I always joke that when I die, I'm going to crawl in a corner in the most ridiculous position and hope my body doesnt get found for weeks just to make it hard for the removal crew the put me in a body bag because it's such a pain in the ass. But to answer the question, physically, the effort to remove someone from a hotel room as long as they have elevators should be pretty easy, psychologically I can't speak for since death doesnt bother me anymore. Some people may go home and cry if they see you shot yourself on the bed, me I'll go home and give zero fucks.

you dumbshit

You're not giving me a lot to work with here. I'm not talking about emotions, I'm talking about practical stuff like the elevator. Leave a note? Leave a tip or a plate of cookies? Carefully label something as being poison?

My “bitch” would see through your bullshit like I do, Rescue Ranger. If you can pull so much tail, why tell Sup Forums your panty-dropping stories? Let me guess. Someone in real life would call you out.

Literally all the stories in this thread so far are copy pasta. I wouldn't read to much into it

Anyone else use to cruise Sup Forums for porn while on-duty?

Isn't removing the biggest chunk in the room the easy part? Don't the crime scene / biohazard cleaners have the messy job?

Because I'm the same fag posting multiple threads.

You can say it's bullshit all you want, but I could link news articles and OC pics if I was stupid enough to post my location on Sup Forums. Go ride along with your local first responders. My stories are tame compared to a lot of metro EMS. This is a drop in the bucket. I've been doing this for 4 years and seen this much, imagine the stories a 2 year vet can tell you.

/gif/ is better, VLC on iphone for webms =$$

Probably, but the rest will just be thrown away. Carpets will get cut out,and replaced, beds thrown out if bloody, and walls will be scrubbed and repainted. Cleaners dont' really have the messiest but the most labor intensive job. Coroner probably has the messiest.

Anywhere is easy as long as you aren't a hoarder or trailer trash thats been dead for a week. 2 people can get a body out of almost anywhere. Elevators make it easy because carrying down stairs sucks, especially if their is fluids to leak. Plus they call it dead weight for a reason. And nobody is going to take a tip or cookies. That's all evidence/trash. Money will be taken as evidence along with any belongings and returned to the family. Carefully labeling things as poison is a HUGGGEE thank you from us, especially if you plan to use gas such as helium or CO.

>20 year vet
The beer is getting to me

Thank God. Lol. I thought I was the only one. Would end up sometimes have to respond to calls with blue balls, due to being interrupted.

>Be me
>in my room on gif or pornhub on personal data because hurr taxpayer wifi
.full chub getting ready to beat off
>tones drop
>immediately go 0-1000 rage mode
>bitching the whole way out to the rig while tucking in the waistband

It ain't rape if they're dead!

>wears gloves to touch the body
>sticks his raw dick in
All bloodborne shit aside, anyone ever touch a cold corpse before? That core temp can't be easy to stay hard though.

>TFW, youre one video away from busting, and dispatch calls for a transfer.
>The rage of a THOUSAND FUCKING SUNS.

Nice basement

How much do you get drug tested OP?

I have never been drug tested once throughout my career. I will say that I'm from WA so that helps, but it's still technically no-no due to federal grant $ helping our EMS program but nobody cares. My Capt. and LT's know I smoke weed and give zero fucks because quite a few people do in this biz. Nobody talks about it though.

Like what are the chances?

>tfw most people cant see the dead body in the pic unless they've seen a charred corpse before

I never got randomly dropped, but people would if they were to get in an accident in the ambulance where there was damage (backing into buildings, hitting deer, shit of that nature) Normally our drug tests consisted of mouth swabs that could be beat with alcohol based mouth wash. The only exception is if you lose drugs from your drug bag, then it's multiple types of testing for months on end.

Ever stole any gold fillings?

No, I don't steal anything. I may be a piece of shit in the fact I cheat on my girlfriend and give zero fucks about people dying but I still have integrity. I would never steal nor discriminate against someone regardless of if they are a piece of shit or not. I take my job seriously along with the responsibility which I am entrusted.

Ever stuck your finger in a clients vag while you're working on her?

Thanks for the insight OP. I’m stationed at Fort Lewis and looking to go the EMT route when I get out. Butttt I fell for whole sleeve tattoo meme. Does your department discriminate against people that have tattoos?

What's the most bits you've seen a person chopped into?

OP here,WAfag as well. No and I don't know any who do. A shitload of guys I know have exposed tattoos. I personally would not work for any place that strict and I have no tats.

Refer to the post you replied to. I see tons of tits and vag every now and then, but I still have integrity and professionalism. I would never,, both because cold dead people are fucking gross because the tissue gets cold and hard, plus thats fucking gnarly. And there are usually a bunch of people who would see.

None actually, I havent been lucky enough to get a call like that. Coolest like that I have had was like this
>dispatched to sick person, claiming his arm is swollen twice the size of the other and its weeping fluid
>arrive and find patient in a shed/house outback
>we knock and he tells us to hold on
>we stand aside incase he starts shooting
>he comes out, looking white as a ghost, sweaty as shit
>obvious signs of shock
>his arm has a wound and is obviously infected and really is twice the size
>says he dropped a box of horseshoes on his arm a week before
>we get IV access and transport lights and sirens
>call code Sepsis en-route and take him to the ER
>He sits there for a bit and we come back for a random transfer
>our hospital is a small rural hospital with maybe 4 RNs on ER staff and 1 Doc for nightshift
>all local hospitals refused the transfer of this patient because the infection had spread to his chest
>We walk in and they call code blue (CPR in progress) in the OR
>we follow the 2 RNs down to the OR
>our patient is laying on the table with his arm chopped off and is getting CPR done on him
>2 docs sew up the stump while another works the code
>get pulses back and they resume the procedure
>he codes again
>we get pulses back again
>he codes again in ICU and dies
>Necrotizing fasciitis is a bitch

yuck

OP here, thread seems to be dying, lets bring it back? (kek)

>dispatched to an explosion at a post office
>call is 15 miles away
while en-route, find out we have multiple patients so request 2 additional ambulances
>RP now saying that the explosion happened offsite and that vicitims waked into the post office needing help, now headed to local unstaffed fire station
>arrive and find 2 critical burn patients
>they tell us that they lit a fire and were smoking with some random kids when they threw something in the fire
>Our patient has airway burns, all his hair is singed and he has 3rd degree burns on his hands and arms and 2nd degree on his face and chest
>other patient is badly burned as well
>we call for two helicopters to meet up with us
>our patient is uncooperative and doesnt want an IV
>we tell him that he can either shut the fuck up and let us do our job or he can walk out of our ambulance and die down the road
>we tell him we need to sedate him and put a tube down his throat to breathe for him
>he fights us but then eventually agrees
>we RSI and transport to the LZ

Forgot to finish
>load them into the helo, rotors still spinning
>State Patrol and Feds raid their home after they find out they were making homeade explosives.

FBI story time.
Intro:
>FBI watching islamic extremist in prison
>FBI inserts informant in prison, guy comes up with bomb plans
>FBI tracks him once he gets out, informant links up and helps "get him explosives"
>give him fakes and fake detonators with a signal for when he tries to set them off
>he gets a few guns and readies his plan
>he wants to blow up a gas station and then rob a few banks while police respond to the gas station (small community of about 60k)
>the day comes and he is with the informant
>He gets ready to blow the gas station
>informant sees bus full of kids driving by, informant asks "You sure you want to do this?"
>Guy says "That just makes it more fun" and clicks the button
>FBI swarms in and arrests him
>Later calls for aid to stage while they raid his home
>FBI brings two bearcats and tells local LE and aid to fuck off and wait and not to fucking pull a trigger unless they say so even if a suspect shoots
>house is raided and more intel is found linking him to online extremism