/emoe/ - emo general

Newfag Revival edition

i don't have any collages but what the fuck melon sub-Edition

Recent MCR shitposting aside, what does Sup Forums think of emo?
Has it been dead since the 90s?
Is the recent """""emo revival""""" just thinly veiled pop punk?
What about the likes of Empire! Empire! and twiabp?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GXNP9Wdx16s
youtube.com/watch?v=f2WFiVoGOK0
youtube.com/watch?v=oEaaAPmLDUk
youtube.com/watch?v=oi5jqhBGhkY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IvQjtNp5I
youtube.com/watch?v=PKalQrHXayI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmD6BKcg0Oc
youtube.com/watch?v=9BJ-dilbzLs
youtube.com/watch?v=7iUZruKp4IE
youtube.com/watch?v=LE0B-LNl6sA
youtube.com/watch?v=vM8qpA7Crpw
oldprobz.bandcamp.com/album/demo
youtube.com/watch?v=xsueE9JMNig
youtube.com/watch?v=nRzKsEpnIhs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

anything more like this?
this is like, the only emo album i've listened to

Pic related is pretty similar, you could check Midwest Pen Pals too, it has the same guitar style as american football but the vocals are kind of screamed

bump for interest

youtube.com/watch?v=GXNP9Wdx16s

most of it sounds aucostic but it's pretty fucking good

just broke with my girlfriend, and I'm new to emo. best emo break-up albums?

This is about as nu-male and beta as it gets, but it's still a good record.

Any other records that sound like this?

>Rodgers
You can't fool me, /o/

>Modern Baseball
>American Football
>Chinese Football
>Midwest Pen Pals
why do emo bands have such fucking shit names?

youtube.com/watch?v=f2WFiVoGOK0

this is a pretty good song, was putting most of his aucostic live perfomances on repeat when i was going through some BS

chinese football isn't emo what so ever anyway

>post a more depressing song than this
>pro tip you can't

youtube.com/watch?v=oEaaAPmLDUk

yes i can

youtube.com/watch?v=oi5jqhBGhkY

This is the most midwestern emo song I've ever heard

youtube.com/watch?v=Z3IvQjtNp5I

>a whole song about being in an abusive relationship
Yeah how cucked.

>hurr durr hes not emo

shut up
youtube.com/watch?v=PKalQrHXayI

hurr durr he's not emo

DLET THIS

Genius observation. all bands should stick to very good names like Can and Yes right?

why is there only emo with shit vocals or instrumentals, no in between?

Depends what kind of stuff you listen to at the moment - emo has a ridiculously wide range of material, since it's pretty much just defined "post-hardcore with a personal touch", and post-hardcore can be literally anything.

A bit contrarian of me, but The Hotelier - or at least Home - is pretty fucking good. Skirts the edges of the emo-y side of Pop Punk while still being more honest. There's not much like them out there, though, and there's basically nothing as good as Home.

>Captain, We're Sinking
These are probably your best optionby quite a long way. They had a hell of a sophomore slump, but their debut is pretty much the only thing I know that's comparable to Home in terms of quality and intensity. Highlights are Annina, Montreal, Shoddy Workmanship, and pretty much all of it other than Adultery and the title track. Books and Cannonless from the second album are worth a listen, too.

>Sorority Noise
>Foxing
A tad poppier than Hotelier/Captain and a shift away from the traditional guitar-based, but still decent. Some smaller groups like Cardboard Swords are similar but aren't as squeaky-clean, and are a lot better for it.

>The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
Posted full name because OP's fucking lazy - going in the opposite direction to the few listed above, they're more of a gateway to Midwest's lighter (but by no means softer) sound. Listen to their split with Deer Leap, see if you like that.

"Emo revival" IMO can be split into three styles: awesome shit that continues the legacy of 90s midwest emo (Algernon Cadwallader, Snowing, MWPP, TBLA, etc); midwest emo that's shitty and gay (Dads, Foxing, etc.); and straight-up pop punk tumblr-core (Glocca Morra, Jank, etc.)

>The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die
Yeah I saw them live once, they're pretty good.

tl;dr: normie pop emo, but at least the decent stuff

Is Tiny Moving Parts emo?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmD6BKcg0Oc

That album is absolutely brilliant, what did people think of Goodness? I didn't much care for the spoken word bits, and I crosses my mind less than Home, but everytime I listen to it I never find any song weak. Kinda wish that they had put Goodness Part 1 on it as the opener though.

I used to love them, saw them just before Whenever, If Ever came out and it was a pretty fun time, haven't enjoyed their later stuff though the rerecord of Formlessness seemed really bad compared to the original.

This couch is long and full of friendship was my jam when it came out, not cared much for the follow up stuff as much but I think that's just a time/place situation
Anyone else enjoying the winter? Makes listening to sad music walking about feel so much better.

I quite liked Goodness desu, it has a neat melancholy tone to the music and the drums sound pretty cool, though I even like their debut

Pentimento - I, No Longer (2015)

God-tier emo rock.

The debut has some real good songs on it, There is a light was always my favourite on that album but I think its a couple leagues behind their other stuff. I liked Goodness too, but it gets unfairly maligned in my memory I think just cause I forget about a lot of the songs until I listen to them.

>going to see Citizen and Sorority Noise tomorrow
>anxious as fuck about going by myself
I hope I'll be able to quit being a pussy and enjoy myself at least

youtube.com/watch?v=9BJ-dilbzLs

Yeah, no doubt it is their weakest release but it has the beginnings of Home and Goodness and I can't help but dig Our Lives Would Make a Sad Boring Movie because its so immature when compared to what they went on to create

The GOAT

Oh man, yeah thats a real funny song, and in all fairness there's nothing thats a bad song, kinda like a Pablo Honey thing, where its all pretty good but a bit tame/immature compared to the rest

I go to loads of show on my own, I wouldn't worry about it, you can just go and have some drinks and look at your phone or watch poeple set up the stage or whatever, when I saw Sorority Noise I had a little chat with Cameron afterwards and he seemed like a nice guy, hopefully he'll still be doing the short covers between songs cause that was maybe my favourite part, he did a little bit of Mixtape and a bit of Good News (Brand New and Julien Baker respectively)

i'm sure you will have a good time user

youtube.com/watch?v=7iUZruKp4IE

Is there anything that quite hits the same spot William Bonney did? Midwest Pen Pals obviously excluded.

if I could drink it wouldn't be a problem
I'm a very social drunk
I'm only 19 though and it's an all ages show so I'm guess they'll be extra careful

Maybe Indian Summer?

youtube.com/watch?v=LE0B-LNl6sA

I wouldn't really worry about being social to be honest its pretty rare that you'll actually run into someone at a bigger concert, bummer about drinks though, its always kinda crazy that you can't drink at 18 in America to me.

Goodness wasn't as good as Home, but it was still good in different ways. It's pretty nice and wholesome, and I appreciate them for having the guts to go in that direction (I mean, veering into Emo with Home in the first place was pretty ballsy, too). Pretty nice and good overall, but probably weaker on a track-by-track basis.

As for TMP, what's the most accessible way to get into them? I fucking love their sound but I still instinctively hate the weird mathy side of it.

Is their other band Merchant Ships excluded?
youtube.com/watch?v=vM8qpA7Crpw

if so then listen to this
oldprobz.bandcamp.com/album/demo

I think Goodness has some fantastic parts llike the break in Two Deliverances and some of Christians best lyrics, but as a whole it feels a bit less than Home, excited to see where they will go next though!

I dunno, I just started with This Couch, but if mathy stuff isn't for you then it might be a fruitless endeavour, just try out that album and see how you feel.

youtube.com/watch?v=xsueE9JMNig

if anyone wants good post-rock emo with pop punk vocals

>This is about as nu-male and beta as it gets
fucking kill yourself you delusional retard

Is there a single other song as good as No Halo?

unironically the first song I would use to introduce someone to emo

>Captain, We're Sinking
>debut
Holy shit this is good. Raw, feely, christian imagery that isn't fedora-tier, and that fucking finale. Is it heretical to say I like this even more than Home?

i agree that this is the GOAT but the other cover is better

An user posted another offshoot of merchant ships the other day, North Folk. The album is in slsk.

Wow, old problems is pretty cool.

youtube.com/watch?v=nRzKsEpnIhs