Best Bob Dylan album? Best song?

Best Bob Dylan album? Best song?

Tough to decide
Highway 61
Tangled Up in Blue/It's All Right Ma

blonde on blonde
desolation row

there are thousands of correct answers to this question though, his discography is full of great stuff

His best album is John Wesley Harding.

>Blonde on Blonde
>Tangled Up in Blue

Although the answers constantly change. He's only behind The Beatles in terms of innovation/material.

I like Positively 4th Street and Masters of War best. Also the Hurricane is pretty good to throw on if you party with cool people and have the aux

>He's only behind The Beatles in terms of innovation/material.
That's kind of funny, considering how Beatles copied Dylan's style for Rubber Soul.

>album
bringing it all back home

>song
i dreamed i saw st. augustine is currently my favorite

True, The Beatles began by copying Dylan. But once they started to get into their own style, they far surpassed him.

Blonde on Blonde is his best album easily imo.
As for best song, that's a bit tougher. I'd go with When The Ships Come In or Stuck In Mobile

Bringing It All Back Home
Visions of Johanna

album: Blood on the Tracks, never fails to please me over and over again

song: Queen Jane Approximately, just stunningly beautiful

bowling in the wind

Highway 61 Revisited for best album of course

It's not usually in the running for his best composition but Ballad of a Thin Man blew my socks off

Is Another Side of Bob Dylan his worst album pre-Self Portrait?

I'm in the process of getting through his entire catalog so I can call myself an actual fan before he dies but I basically had to force myself to keep listening

I like it more than The Times They Are a-Changing

Blood on the tracks
Girl from the north country(w johnny cash)

J O K E R M A N

>Bootleg Series Vol. 5 if it counts
>Highway 61 Revisited if it doesn't

>Sara
>or maybe Oh Sister

It's probably my favourite acoustic album of his. Most of the material is very lighthearted and charming but when it delves into more serious matters (My Back Pages, Chimes of Freedom) it hits just as well. The only exception is Ballad In Plain D which is a truly awful self-pityfest of a song.

For me
>Blonde On Blonde
>Idiot Wind

One funny trend about the thread is most people's favorite song isn't on their favorite album

>Time Out of Mind
>Love Minus Zero/No Limit

> Blonde on Blonde
> It's All Over Now Baby Blue
or
> Visions of Johanna

I’ve only listened up to The Times They Are A-Changin so far but ive been dedicating my time to diving into his discography.

am I in for a journey the rest of the way? I’ve enjoyed this one more than freewheelin honestly. With God On Our Side and One Too Many Mornings are so good.

thissssss

any of you fellas read Tarantula ?

>am I in for a journey the rest of the way?
Yes, the trilogy of albums following Times is legendary.

>Best Album
Highway 61 Revisited because Girl from North Country and Like a Rollingstone are his most expressive songs imo.
>Best Song
Girl from North Country or Ballad of a Thin Man

The White Album
You Really Got Me Going

Joey is excellent beyond words. Dylan's metre is as unique as Whitman or Hughes

>just stunningly beautiful
I feel this way too
It's so blissfully happy
I wish I knew how to describe it

>Best Bob Dylan album?
for me either bringing it all back home or blonde on blonde

>Best song?
my top 5
boots of spanish leather
desolation row
girl from the north country ft cash
visions of johanna
its all over know baby blue

Is it worth it to see him live?

Desire
Every Grain of Sand

Yes

He's coming to Pittsburgh this month but I pussed out of buying the tickets since there's no way of knowing whether you'll get the hype ecstatic performer Dylan who's clearly enjoying himself or the bored Roy Orbison looking Dylan who'd clearly rather be somewhere else

>the bored Roy Orbison looking Dylan who'd clearly rather be somewhere else
this exactly
I'd rather see some spry youngling who's clearly enjoying life than some jaded septuagenarian millionaire

underrated

>be me
>get heavily into Dylan around 2013
>break up with ex in 2015
>can't listen to much music anymore, shiton of songs remind me of her (lots of Dylans)
>eventually get over her
>got back into music recently
>this thread reminds me that I love Dylan
>feels good, Sup Forums

God fucking dammit I love most of Dylan's albums (including the Christian and Christmas ones) and it pains me to pick a favorite but I have to say Desire
Similar issue with my favorite song of his, but I'll just be a contrarian and say Boots of Spanish Leather

When exactly did Zimmerman fall off?

I quite like Tombstone Blues.

I don't know if this is my favorite album of his per se, but it was just great to me because it reminded you that Dylan didn't leave his talent behind in the 60s or 70s (the 80s notwithstanding) and is in fact perfectly capable of writing a great record when he bothers to try

reminder that hating Bob Dylan at Budokan is the plebest thing you can do in regards to Dylan

Blonde on Blonde
Visions of Johanna

I had to grab his autobiography to remember the details exactly

>wanted to use a stage name from the beginning instead of his real name, Robert Allen Zimmerman
>first went by Robert Allen
>then went by Robert Allyn because someone else used that spelling and he liked it
>then read poems by Dylan Thomas, realized Dylan and Allyn sounded similar but Dylan sounded better, so went with Robert Dylan
>Robert Dylan didn't sound good for a performer and there were too many Bobby musicians at the time, so he went with Bob Dylan
>liked it enough to legally change his name to Robert Dylan

great. I’m incredibly excited.

just me or is Dylan the best music that your dad got you into?

I think he means when did dylan's music start sucking

I'm still glad I did a refresher on his name change; when he stopped being appealing to some people depends on the person

Personally I think Street-Legal was when things started going south into a 15-year streak of unessential material, but there's still some great albums like Infidels, and Traveling Wilburys is fun

Oh. In that case, never.

ive been listening chronologically to his discography over time. im going to listen to saved tonight or tomorrow from 1980. hasnt been a bad album so far imo.

budokan its alright ma is on par with the original tbqh

Good timing, since his new Bootleg Series comes out tomorrow.

My dad didn't get me into him. He's not the biggest Bob Dylan fan. I didn't listen to him until I discovered Sup Forums.