Why you americans so retarded you still use inches?

Why you americans so retarded you still use inches?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Inches are more practical than centimeters.
The length of an inch is more common in every-day items than a centimeter, so it's easier to use inches.

Why are you so obsessed with the USA you fucking useless foreigner?

Same reason why you eurofags mass import Muslim shitheads to your countries then blame your own men when they go out raping women

It's still pretty dumb
along with miles and Fahrenheit
Americans are like those weird kids who have a weird obsession for being different

itt mad americans

Im not useless i have a job

Fahrenheit is a superior unit because the step from each degree is smaller than that of Celsius, making Fahrenheit more accurate. Take water for example, in Celsius it freezes at 0 degrees and boils at 100. In Fahrenheit, it's 32 and 212, respectively. That's a 100 degree change in Celsius but 180 degree change in Fahrenheit. That means Fahrenheit is about 1.8x more accurate than Celsius.

had*

Why don't you cunt foreigners do something useful for yourselves instead of worrying about what we do in the USA? Do does what we do in the USA effect you personally?

ever heard of a decimal point?

Among scientists, it's accepted that it's better to not use decimal points because you have to round them, and that introduces uncertainty into the measurement.

Farenheit is not superior because it's confusing. Celsius is simple because 0C is temperature of freezing water

Why not just use Kelvin?

They literally can't afford to switch to metric, so they will just stick with Imperial

Scientists also use centimeters, so inches still retarded

For that matter, Celsius is equally confusing because 0 degrees isn't actually 0. Temperature is a measure of a system's average kinetic energy. A temperature of 0 should mean 0 kinetic energy, but 0 degrees Celsius does not correspond to this. For that matter, you should use Kelvin. But if you're doing it for that reason, it's better to just use Rankine since that's based off the superior Fahrenheit.

We can afford anything we want you nigger, why aren't you using Kelvin temps?

Source on that?
I bet you've never even been inside a lab.
I actually have, and they used American Engineering units because they're actually smart people unlike you.

This is also why they still use 110 volts instead of 230V? I thought us is richest country in world, but they cant handle their own shit

Holy fuck, how old are you? Clearly your under 20.

>Source on that?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Maybe, but then again, maybe not.
You're still a faggot.

You seriously posted a wikipedia link and expect me to believe it?
Either your trolling or you've never left your bedroom.

Kill yourself

Hahahaha, wiki, a source, yeah right.

So you suggest whole world use inches? You are retarded beyond belief.

Most scientists also prefer the SI or metric system. Stop being gay. Of course you're going to round your temperatures you queer. Do you think your thermometer is giving you an exact? Uncertainty doesn't matter in a temperature. You can't yell. Also, using one decimal point with Celsius would make it more accurate than Fahrenheit with none. It takes away uncertainty. You're stupid. You make me sad.

Actually we use Kelvin. What's your major malfunction, but F and C aren't as accurate as K.

Are you dense? Is said SI or metric. The SI temperature unit is Kelvin. Read before you respond

It's not problem if you can't do the logical thinking and see why the rest of the world is stupid.
Try taking a science class for one in you're life, it sounds like you don't really know what you're talking about.

So just say Kelvin, not SI.

Kelvin isn't specific to SI you idiot, the SI unit for temperature is Celsius.

ITT:
Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls.

No system is superior.
America was built with inches and changing it would cause nationwide problems from little things like painting crosswalks to large things like land ownership.

Many things warrant scrutiny nd consequently change, but you can't just change things, even if it is something stupid, if it's deeply ingrained to society.
Like religion. Banning religion, even if it's one of the most retarded things in modern times, would cause mass hysteria and panic among those retards.

Muh dick.

SI's not specific, Kelvin is.

Your words are so ignorantly put together, I'm surprised even you can understand them.

>Try taking a science class for one in you're life
>doesnt even know whole world use metre
You are still retarded

SI is some united nations or ISO set of stuff while Kelvin is a specific set of measurements.

Y'all remember that day in the 90's when we were all going to switch to metric here in the US? Yeah. That was a waste of a rumor.

So instead of admitting you have zero idea what you're talking about and you're an uneducated idiot, you're just gonna disagree out of impotent spite?
At least read a book on it.

>Kelvin is a specific set of measurements.
What the fuck is this supposed to mean?
Kelvin is a unit of temperature. What "set of measurements" is it a part of?
Are you actually retarded?

because it's easier to measure the penis.

"Hey, are you an One-Incher or a Two-Incher?"

"WE ARE ONE."

Now you're just wrong and arguing for the sake of arguing and you're getting boring and can't admit that you're wrong.

>america use inches
>america use farenheit
Oh.. this is our "special" kid

I measure muh dik in feet beotch!

Instead of complaining about things you don't understand, try educating yourself on them.

The Imperial system was invented to provide the common man convenient units of measure that were always on-hand. The inch is approximately the breadth of an adult thumb. The foot is approximately the length of an adult foot. The yard is approximately the length of an adult arm.

Using these units, so long as you have your body you can measure anything. Compare with the nonsensical "metric" system (which literally just means "measuring" system, so kind of pointlessly redundant there) and suddenly you can't measure shit. Where on my body can I find a "meter"? I can't. Because the meter was defined quite poorly as "one millionth of the distance between the equator and the north pole". Unfortunately for the meter, no one has ever traveled to the north pole so we don't ACTUALLY know how big this is. We just use shadows and shit to guesstimate it - meaning the ability to measure was ripped away from peasants (who have thumbs, feets, and arms) and placed squarely in the hands of those with advanced mathematical ability. A ploy to keep the common man in the dark.

Then we come to the age-old "but 10, gaiz!". Why is 10 so special? Because we count in base 10? But why do we count in base 10? If we encounter an alien species they'll likely have a different number of fingers and therefore a different base. The Simpsons probably count in base 8. Meanwhile there are educated men pushing for the education of base 12 counting since it makes dividing by 3 and 4 easier. So if not 10, what number might be better? How about 2? That would make our computers run faster. Well guess how many ounces there are in a cup, cups in a pint, pints in a quart, and quarts in a gallon? Yup. All 2's.

More to come

For ten, simply because most people have ten fingers and ten toes so it makes counting easy, and using zeros really helps as well.

One can also do base 2, 8, 16, all kinds of stuff but 10 is more common for simplicity.

So our units of volume are more efficient or computers (just a simple bit shift instead of a multi-clock-cycle multiplication operation) and our units of measure allow the common man without access to a tape measure to estimate distances.

What of the other Imperial units? Let's start with temperature. Ever seen one of these bitches? Just google "radial thermometer". They're the cheapest and easiest thermometer to build, and more accurate than mercury thermometers or most digital ones. Now what are two very useful and common temperatures that humans care about? Let's do what Celsius (Centigrade?) did and take the freezing and boiling points of water. Wouldn't it be nice if one side of this scale were the freezing point, and one side were the boiling point?

So how many degrees are there in a circle, again? 360? That means a half circle is 180. So if the left is freezing and the right is boiling, there are 180 degrees between freezing and boiling. 180 degrees OF A CIRCLE = 180 degrees OF TEMPERATURE. Weird how words make sense when you educate yourself. From 32F to 212F is a difference of exactly 180.

So then why start at 32? More conveniences. The freezing point of pure water is one thing, but the freezing point of the ocean is far more important to a sea-faring human race. It turns out this happens at 0 degrees F. So 0 is the point when you can no longer travel by sea. And when you scale things like this, human body temperature falls nicely around 100. Neat.

Need more?

Centimetres are more practical than inches.
The length of a centimetre is more common in every-day items than an inch, so it's easier to use metric.

See how easy that is?

Let me see.
the peice of wood on the table here is about 1 centimetre wide, 13 cm long.

the marker pen is 14 cm long. 1 cm more.
The block of carving wax I'm sculpting is 10cm long, 3cm side, and about 1 1/2 cm thick.

the little metalwork burr is 8mm wide.

the cigarette lighter is 8cm long.

my little meths burner for melting wax is about 8cm in diameter.

trying to say that "length of an inch is more common" is utterly nonsense. The length of a centimetre is just as common, its just you've never learnt to use it.

Because Americans think that if you switch to metric, dick size will shrink from the measurement in inches to cm.

Because That's the standard the king of England himself, established. Fag! It's called tradition.

>try educating yourself on them.
>whole science is based on international measurement system
Still retarded.

That means so much coming from someone owned by islamics who's skullcaps are measured in feet.

Oh boy, this is some massive ignorant american shit. Measure size of the electron with your body parts, for example.

10 isn't magically more simple than any other base. It's just that we're taught base 10 when we're young, so it FEELS simpler to us. We like to say "it's so easy, just add zeroes and you multiply by 10!"

But guess what? If we counted in base 12, "it'd be so easy! Just add zeroes and you multiply by 12!"

That's the thing with bases. It's always easy to count in your base. It makes a lot more sense to choose a base that provides additional PHYSICAL advantages. And all computers use base 2. So we should use a base 2 measurement system instead of a base 10 one. Besides, doubling and halving is easy. It's not like the math gets hard.

>the peice of wood on the table
The wood on my desk isn't "about" a centimeter, it's EXACTLY a half-inch

>the marker pen
My pen is EXACTLY 6 inches long

>The block of carving wax
These come in all sizes

>the little metalwork burr
Metalwork burrs (and all tools) are made in both Imperial and Metric units. There's nothing magical or secret about that. I have an 1/8th inch burr in my garage

>the cigarette lighter
Most pocket lighters are 3 inches long

>my little meths burner for melting wax
I honestly don't know what this is. It can probably be equally easily measured in inches.

Literally every unit is equally common if you prefix "about" in front of the size. Now here's where your metric system is complex and stupid:

>13cm (a prime number?)
>14cm (random number)
>3cm, 1.5cm (your "magical 10's to avoid complex decimals" has left you with a half-CM)
>8mm (sudden jump from cm to mm, which if not noticed, leads to confusion. And why 8? It's not even "a half centimeter". It's 80% of a centimeter. How fucking random)
>8cm (why 8? The same randomness, but now it's cm and not mm)

Compare to:

>one half (simple, easy, power of two)
>6 inches (exactly one half of a foot)
>1/8th (simple, easy, power of two)
>3 inches (exactly one fourth of a foot, power of two)

Imperial - 1
Metric - 0.8

Whereas some categories of knowledge are said to require a "steep learning curve",

..... real Americans (as opposed to ex-pat. Europeans) are invariably limited to a very shallow, plodding, long duration, remedial learning curve.

I'm quite surprised that the majority of them are not still trying to perfect the stone axe.

As a matter of fact, I have the PERFECT member for just this task!

You still haven't gotten out of your closet, crying like a faggot and realized that your anointed one shillary didn't win have you?

>It's not problem if you can't do the logical thinking and see why the rest of the world is stupid.
>Try taking a science class for one in you're life, it sounds like you don't really know what you're talking about.

please, do explain to me exactly how, using imperial units, you calculate the volume of a cubic container 3.937 inches to each side (internal dimensions) filled with water, and heated from freezing to boiling points, in joules?

and then explain the same using SI units.

Or perhaps you'd like to explain why use of imperial units results in NASA probes slamming into Mars at hypersonic speeds, because the builders didnt use metric like the rest of the planet?

Infact, perhaps as you say to "try taking a science class", perhaps you'd like to give one example from the rest of the entire planet where a science class uses imperial units?

Nah, metric is far more superior

And you just being gay

The NASA one is easy, because we outsourced shit to idiots in europe and india.

I'm sure you regularly measure the size of electrons in you life. I know every time I go to the grocery store I have to count the electrons in my cereal to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

But you want to measure electrons? How about using a barleycorn, a thou, a mil, or a pica? That's right -- Imperial units get small, too. We don't use inches to measure electrons the same way you don't use meters, moron.

underrated post

Outsource stuff to shit foreigners and get shit results. What did you expect when you do lowest common denominator crap and low bid stuff?

>I'm sure you regularly measure the size of electrons in you life.
And this is why imperial system sucks. Metrical system is universal and endless, unlike your unsystematic measure units you are trying to join together

There's a reason why we all make fun of h1b indians. It's because they fucking lack skill and suck at everything. It takes over 20 of them to do when just one of us can do.

Plus they bob their heads to and fro when they speak which is hilarious.

>cubic container 3.937 inches to each side, etc
First, joules are a metric unit. This is like me asking how much horsepower it takes to heat a cubic meter of water.

So instead of joules, I'll use BTU -- because a BTU is how much energy is required to raise one pound of water one degree Fahrenheit. It's actually strange and uncommon to deal with inches (or even cubic inches) when talking about water, because the inch was invented to measure DISTANCE -- not volume. One pound of water is conveniently 16 ounces, which is exactly 16 FLUID ounces, which is exactly 2 cups (a unit of volume, not distance). So there's a small conversion from distance units to volume units, where a cup is roughly 14.5 cubic inches.

Now tell me how your magical metric unit would calculate the amount of corn you can fit on a ship that's a furlong long and 12 rods across.

>use of imperial units results in NASA probes, etc
This wasn't the use of imperial units, it was the mixing of imperial and metric units. If they'd used ONLY imperial, there'd be no crash

This is why almost all scientists in usa are russians, indians and chinese?

You literally didn't read my post. How would you use your shitty metric system to measure an electron in meters?

Oh, you wouldn't? You'd use picometers?

Neat, because we don't use inches for electrons. We use thous, mils, and picas.

While we're at it, my house has 2.74 meter ceilings, my front door is 0.9144 meters wide, I'm 1.778 meters tall, my bowl of cereal is 0.1524 inches across, and I'm typing this with a 0.6858 meter monitor. Fuck the metric system and its 8000 decimal places. That doesn't make you "universal" or "smarter", it just means you ignore simplicity.

you really struggle to understand what metric is, dont you.

Yes, my lighter is about 3 inches.
and yes, that peice of wood is about 1/2.

Actually, its 13.10mm x 8,06mm x 131.69mm. but that's no less random numbers than the 0.514" x 0.312" x 5.190" that it is in imperial.

And switching between MM and CM is hardly difficult. in the same way switching between feet when measuring a wall, and inches when measuring the skirting board is difficult.

The point, which went whooshing over your head is every single one of those objects sitting on my desk as I typed has a simple metric measurement, EXACTLY like each item on the desk has an imperial measurement. Arguing that the objects around you all have imperial measurements makes it better is fucking retarded. Suddenly switching to metric doesn't make the things you might measure become squamous non-euclidean hyperdimensional ngons that will open gateways to Hell if you try to measure it... the objects are exactly the same.

The entire concept that imperial is easier just means "I've used imperial my entire life". If I somehow grabbed a fucking Egyptian from the time of pyramids, and started telling him about metric, he'd probably start going on about how much more convenient it is to measure in cubits. You're no different to the fucking pyramid-builder there.

My entire point is that the size of the object has nothing to do with it being better. its down to the fact you've not learnt to use the other system, so you're claiming yours is better.

And that they are "about" 8cm, for example, is exactly the same as saying its "about" 3 inches. (its not, its 3.12 inches) Saying that they are "about" is a simple process of making estimates of dimension. if I need exact numbers like I gave for the piece of wood, its easy for me to pick up a pair of vernier calipers and get a readout. Or get a ruler, and measure it.

>no one has ever traveled to the north pole so we don't ACTUALLY know how big this is
>no one has ever traveled to the north pole
WTF
please,tell me you are joking

Well...

says everything you need to know about the US education system, doesn't it?

>How would you use your shitty metric system to measure an electron in meters?
Very simple, because meter is calculated using the speed of light, UNIVERSAL speed in THE WHOLE UNIVERSE. So, you are still retarded.

Your argument was that metric is better because "centimeters are more practical", then proceeded to show that in every-day items "the length of a centimeter is more common"

I showed you that the length of an inch is equally common and now you admit that each item has both metric and imperial measurements and they're equally common -- and this makes me the one that's wrong?

>The entire concept that imperial is easier just means "I've used imperial my entire life"

I've carefully made several arguments for the imperial system without ONCE deferring to my familiarity with it. I even said that ANY base system can be "easier" if it's what you were taught when you were younger. A good base system should have a basis in PHYSICAL phenomena -- not some arbitrary mathematical base. Therefore the best measurement system is based on the real world and not based on what makes certain numbers for certain situations look nicer. So we turn to PHYSICAL phenomena.

Logic requires binary operations, hence why computers (whether electronic or mechanical) operate in binary. Therefore doubling and halving is superior to "multiplying by 10" in the physical world.

Radial thermometers are more accurate and easier to build, so it makes sense to use 180 degrees as the difference between freezing and boiling.

Water changes shape but never changes volume, so it makes sense to use units of volume to measure it (like cups and gallons) instead of units of distance (like cubic centimeters or cubic meters)

Along with basing your conversions and relations in the physical world, you should strive for simplicity and availability. To make science open to everyone, you need systems of measure that anyone can see, feel, and touch. This way children can become familiar with the inch long before they enter a classroom. You can't "touch" a meter, because it only exists on a meter stick. You can touch a thumb, a foot, and an arm.

Cuz it's better to measure a dick with? Why would you want to measure your dick with millimeters and centimeters when an inch is bigger. Plus yunopoor dicks have cheese so you need millimeters to measure that depth of cock cheddar.

People have traveled to the arctic. NOT to the north pole. There's actually a lot of complicated shit going on to try and get to the north pole. Magnetic north vs "true" north, drifting ice, etc. Not to mention it's cold as fuck.

tl;dr (because you probably won't read):

I didn't say imperial was better because "I'm used to it"

I provided evidence for its superiority. You provided no evidence for the superiority of metric, saying only "if you don't want to learn it, you're stupid"

By the way: I know the metric system, too. I find Imperial is more useful.

Because Protectionism
/thread

Why do you think Jeremy Clarkson uses MPH instead of KPH when talking about cars, including european cars, in europe driven by europeans?

Essentially we did it to piss off Britain. Seriously, we made our measuring system so as to not use the same as Britain as a screw off after the whole Revolutionary war thing. And at this point the cost of changing everything over to metric would be ridiculous. So we just leave it.

Imperial rocks. Need to do it for money too. 1$ = 37 cents. Nice

The meter was REDEFINED based on the speed of light. It was originally defined as "one millionth of the distance between the equator and the north pole"

And how exactly DOES it compare to the speed of light? It's the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one 299 million, 792 thousand, 458th of a second.

Find me an easy (and accurate) way to measure exactly 1 / 299792458th of a second and you'll have a good way to measure a meter. Otherwise that number sounds like more memorized bullshit than the "12 inches in a foot" that you bitch about all the time.

Why didn't they just round to a clean 1 / 300000000 ? Because fuck you -- that's why.

Also, you can't measure a meter in a lab because a perfect vacuum is nearly impossible (and very expensive) to make. Odds are you'll just suck out 99.9% of the air and have an imperfect vacuum where light travels SLIGHTLY slower. And that tiny difference in speed may not seem like much, but it's significant when dealing with 1 / 299792458th of a second.

Meanwhile there's no "universal" standard for the kilogram. It's literally "the mass of this thing in the basement of this one museum that no one can touch or measure because they may accidentally shave off a few atoms"

>perhaps you'd like to give one example from the rest of the entire planet where a science class uses imperial units?
I'm not on either side of the argument, but I had a fluid dynamics class where we learned all the calculations and formulas in both metric and imperial.
It's beneficial for engineers to know and be able to use both, because depending on where you go, the company might use either.
It's not so much about superiority, it's about which one you need to use at that moment.
Neither SI or imperial were harder or easier to use than the other, you just had to adapt to it. There was a little bit of a learning curve at first, using pound mass, slugs, pound force, etc, but it's not hard.

Oh, I get it now. You must be a woman. See, the male dollar is worth 100 cents.

Lol you're retarded

You can touch a thumb, a foot, and an arm.
I cant believe you are really this dumb. Nothig of these things are always the same size, and you cant use them as source of measurement unit. They are simply not accurate to work with.

Because retarded burgers can't into divide by 10, they only divide by 2

You guys label "Americans" as if they're all the same if you hate on any country you're no better than that country if anything you just make yourself look stupid as an individual for being so general and ignorant and labeling an entire country even though it breaks down to each individual. Not only in America but in every country. Not everyone is as egotistical as you choose to be.

>Your argument was that metric is better because "centimeters are more practical", then proceeded to show that in every-day items "the length of a centimeter is more common"

Can I have some of whatever you're smoking?

My response was to show that a load of random objects on my desk had measurements in metric, and the argument that
>"The length of an inch is more common in every-day items than a centimeter, so it's easier to use inches"
was utter nonsense. It was a demonstration that objects have dimensions whatever the unit used. Sorry if you didnt understand something that basic.

>Radial thermometers are more accurate and easier to build, so it makes sense to use 180 degrees as the difference between freezing and boiling.

ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED?
what the FUCK are you on? because this is the most utterly fucked-up and mental piece of bullshit I've ever read on this godforsaken patagonian llama-farming board. What sort of amateur trepanning accident did you ever have, to make this seem like a logical ground of argument?

I am honestly at a loss to even try to respond, because I dont even know WHERE to begin. I'm completely serious. I honestly cannot work out where to start with such an utterly illogical response. Its pretty much on par with arguing you should use inches because its what the Gods told you last time you were gazing on the entrails of a sacrificial duck.

>Along with basing your conversions and relations in the physical world, you should strive for simplicity and availability. To make science open to everyone, you need systems of measure that anyone can see, feel, and touch. This way children can become familiar with the inch long before they enter a classroom. You can't "touch" a meter, because it only exists on a meter stick. You can touch a thumb, a foot, and an arm.

You are a complete and utter fucking moron. "look, little timmy, you're nearly a metre tall!" "your thumb-nail is a centimetre"

Bingo. the kid's been taught metric.

>hurr durr i cant measure speed of light so nobody can

Meanwhile, what exactly is a foot defined as?

Lmfao are you so fat you forgot what body part you stand on?
Oh wait, not like you ever leave your computer chair anyway.

ITT: Amerifags trying to defend their shit system with retarded reasonings

Success breeds jealousy, dumb Europoor.

How does it makes cense? Are you suggesting every foot is perfectly same size in every place of universe?

>Exactly (measurement)
>E X A C T L Y
>replies --a body part--
Ever heard of shoe size? FUCK OFF

so, you think that the Foot is defined by your feet?

Well, my ex had tiny, size 4 shoes. I have size 10 shoes.

are you trying to tell me that both of us had feet exactly 12 inches in measurement?

Are you honestly that fucking retarded?