Given the rapid advancement of science, how can you still believe in god Sup Forums?

Given the rapid advancement of science, how can you still believe in god Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
youtube.com/watch?v=P5_-pfqFGJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

how exactly the rapid advancement of science disprove god?

it closes the gaps

>how can you still believe in god
Honestly, who the fuck cares? If someone strives to live a better life because they think they'll end up in some hell, why should people try and stop that? Seems to me like maybe these scumbags shooting each other should be afraid of something. Maybe they'll think twice.

nigga you stupid

the uncaused cause

>why should people try and stop that?
maybe because he thinks its a good idea to stone you for working on sunday, after all thats what their god is saying and they think their life will be better if they follow gods word.

It's because I want to and being dead scares me.
Its like arguing with a vegan. We all know that Veganism is correct, and yet we aren't vegans because meat is delicious, its socially acceptable and convenient.
Why aren't you a vegan?

>doesnt know if something caused the universe (if anything)
>chooses to believe it was a magical man who himself was uncaused
How do you NOT see that this is a logical fallacy and attempts to answer a mystery with a bigger and more unfounded mystery?

>Honestly, who the fuck cares?
Nice free country you live in.

>being dead scares me
it doesnt scare me, after all i wont even know im dead, because i'll be fucking dead!

Because the advancement of science, and our better understanding of the sheer complexity of the universe only serves to show me how much more powerful and glorious God is.

We've gone from God spoke the universe into existence, to God created an infinitely dense singularity, preprogrammed, to expand into the universe we can observe and more

What do you think would happen if all of man kind suddenly stopped eating meat and killing animals?

nope not saying a magical man caused anything at all, but something did. physics can explain the big bang to the nanosecond of it's start, but still cannot explain the actual start

But atheists like Sam Harris might disagree. Consciousness as *we* know it might end upon death. But our senses keep deceiving us, hence the need for the scientific method.

because there are things yet undiscovered.
Science can't explain everything

Chaos. It should not be done suddenly. Many less fortunate people like ourselves (i'm assuming you're doing well given you can post on Sup Forums) depend on the meat/fur trade.

then you are retarded and, for the sake of your happiness, i with you never wake up

>but something did
why? because the law of cause and effect? How do we know it applies with no space time?
>but still cannot explain the actual start
so why make ANY claim about it or believe in any claim?

Sorry, meant to say than ourselves.

something caused the universe to exist. whether it was the first instance of the universe is entirely another topic, but there was an occurrence that caused the universe to ignite and develop into what it is now

exciting times!

>being dead scares me
but how do you convince yourself to believe something so evidently ridiculous?

let me guess... not a science major huh?

Im retarded because i dont share your stupid fear of being dead? see picture.

I am afraid of dying tho, not planning to die any time soon, but im not afraid of anything coming after that.

Exactly, it will not be done within our life times and even when it does, we still have to manage the animals somehow, we cant let them eat and destroy all our food and do all the other stuff animals do.

Prople do it all the time. Surely you've heard things like
"I don't believe in religion but..."
"only god can judge me"
"religion is bad but god is..."

People take their religion a la carte. They dont believe the ridiculous but keep the thoughtful. I'm like that.

that was my first post, i wasn't controlling damage

i would agree, you can't be dead and afraid but while i'm alive i'm terrified of death and its inevitability. It doesn't matter when you die, the result is the same

>something caused the universe to exist.
prove it, i dont see a reason to claim the law of cause and effect applies with no space time, it might and it makes sense, but thats no proof, but sure i'll concede, something caused the big bang, now what?

no, and that is relevant how?

Well, that's due to scientific methods and such...that said, I assume that you have some sort of proof of the nonexistence of God...o, you don't, that's right.

dying and being dead are 2 different things, im afraid of 1 of these, as you should be.

i know, everyone holds contradicting views to some extent, i'm asking how can i get into that warm jacuzzi of certainty having never been indoctrinated as a child

We are going on a tangent.
I'm not a vegan. I've seen the arguments on the vegan vs nonvegan sides and I seem to agree with the vegans.
Your questions should be directed to a vegan. i will not defend it on this thread.

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof

The fewer gaps there are in knowledge, the more you're supposed to realize that in time EVERYTHING has an answer that will be found, and the less your stupidity is supposed to need a skydaddy to believe in

The idea of something solely existing is a human concept. A god concept is something we can't fatho.... JK JESUS WAS A SANDNIGGER.

>We are going on a tangent.
its called Random for a reason.

because the universe exists. that's the proof. it started somehow.

Cuz it makes sense

So who created science?

cause you use throw around the term space time like you're repeating it from a Ted talks or some shit

because gods make things for me to fap to.

>it started somehow.
yes the big bang, now where did the big bang come from?

"somehow" doesn't imply any one thing, and certainly doesn't prove it was an act performed by a conscious being. That's smallminded idiocy speaking, yo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbait

oh i see it was just an ad hominem and not relevant to the conversation.
If i made a mistake i expect you to correct it instead of just generally disagreeing with me while changing the subject.

Jesus bacon and pancakes sounds amazing

so you think it's all random. for some "miraculous" reason the universe as we know it just spontaneously came to be

I understand what the burden of proof is good sir, I didn't say God existed, OP implied God doesn't exist. You need to prove that.

THAT'S HARAM!!! I'd prefer pancakes and anal sex with goats.

Easy. Stop being in well-demarcated "tribes". Don't label yourself as an atheist or a christian, etc

and know that "god" as we know it is defined primarily in the Judeo-Christian--Muslim terms.
What do I mean by this? Consider this image
>picrelated

Multiple news sources mentioned that those Indian villagers worshiped the toilet. But "worship" as you're thinking of is defined in the Judeo-Christian--Muslim sense too.
In hinduism, ritual prostration and the likes are merely ways to express gratitude or to give thanks. that's why we see Indians "worshipping" babies with birth defects. It's not worship as we know it. And their concept of "god" is not the same as ours.

But we don't have a better term, and I shall say that I believe in "god".

>why? because the law of cause and effect? How do we know it applies with no space time?
argument based on nothing - thank you ted talks
>oh i see it was just an ad hominem and not relevant to the conversation
making an argument that isn't attacking your character at all. just stating that you cannot have space without time (and vice versa) with our current understanding of physics.

>complexity

Complexity isn't proof of the existence of a deity; this is know as the "God Of The Gaps" fallacy. Logically, high complexity argues against divine intervention, as it become exponentially more difficult to manage all of the variables.

And thats a strawman, OP never claimed god doesnt exist, he asked how you can still believe in it, he is challenging your beliefs.
Besides, you cant really expect someone to prove a negative, thats about as stupid as your logical fallacies.

Where did the Earth come from?
>inbf explosion

worshipping toilets is all well and good but what i'm asking is: knowing that people die and there's no evidence of an afterlife, how can I not be constantly terrified of inevitable eternal nothingness?

>You need to prove that.

Nobody needs to prove the non-existence of anything, much less a deity.

>thank you ted talks
not from ted talks, you really like changing the subject dont you.
>making an argument that isn't attacking your character at all.
no, but pointing out im not a science major without any arguments at all is.
> just stating that you cannot have space without time (and vice versa) with our current understanding of physics.
Which is why im saying the big bang is outside of our current understand of physics which is why im questioning why we need a cause at all. Do you now see what im trying to say? Im not making a claim here, im stopping you from making a claim based on our current understand of science.

Is science THAT incompatible with religion?

I believe there's more religious scientist than we think

I lost 150 grams of brain cells reading all of the arguments, pro or against

> Observes the infinite complexities of the universe
> Can’t fathom the possibility of a higher power in a dimension unbounded by time and space
> Everyone who believes in God is close-minded

Hurr durr I’m science-y

so your argument boils down to well if nothing that we have spent thousands of years to understand applies then yeah - nothing caused our existence.
>no, but pointing out im not a science major without any arguments at all is.
pointing out you probably don't have a science degree was to express how stupid your argument is

I don't. Im agnostic.

you niggas do know that science shifted from atheism and BONGBONG theory to actually trying to understand wtf is going on in this thing we call life

if someone need to proof something is those who believe in god, i believe that giant pizza box created the world but this pizza box is invisible, to you it seems ridiculous, how you proof that this giant pizza box doesn't exist? how you can proof anything that doesn't exist other than some stories and no evidence? humans made god

>if nothing that we have spent thousands of years to understand applies then yeah
we dont know if it does apply is what im saying, atleast not untill we get that whole quantum theory under control and somehow make it work with general relativity and im not sure if even that will do it, we might never find out for sure.
>pointing out you probably don't have a science degree was to express how stupid your argument is
yes, trying to dismiss my argument by attacking my character, thats the definition of an ad hominem, you did after me pointing that out address my argument so i forgive you.

I tell myself that whatever happens, it can't be solely bad.
1. Nothing happens. You don't exist. The end.
-Not a particularly bad ending, I can think of worse.

2. There's a heaven-hell option.
- this is unlikely, just as you said that it lacks evidence. But still there's a 50-50 chance of getting to the happy theme-park of eternity. Not bad.

3. Consciousness as we know it ends and we discover something different. Something unfathomable to living beings.
- Another possibility. This is loosely what I think. It's not particularly good or bad, because death happens to all of us, and life/evolution doesn't seem to "care" about us. So IF there's something after death that is unimaginable, it can't be only bad, at most it may not care of our state of death.

There are others but these are some of the relevant ones.

I agree..
I always find myself becoming closer to the religious that have come across an open mind through religion.
As apposed to those that think they have an open mind via atheism.
That being said, I accept that I cannot solely know something indefinitely as convoluted as religion/existence. For I am just a human

agnostics can still believe in a god, so agnostic theist or atheist?

Where did god come from? if god made earth, who the hell made god? :thinking:

>pointing out you probably don't have a science degree was to express how stupid your argument is
not attacking your character. just your general intelligence level

Very black and white question.

Complexity is evidence for something that was not caused naturally or randomly.

If you heard the moonlight sonata for the first time, you'd rightly assume it was created by an intelligence and not some random notes put together.

>we get that whole quantum theory under control...
hahahaha thanks ted talks

>not attacking your character. just your general intelligence level
which is a part of my character, also are you implying science classes make people more intelligent? You have some issues man.

>1. Nothing happens. You don't exist. The end.
>-Not a particularly bad ending, I can think of worse.

this is where we differ, i'd take any hell over THE END
and one of the most terrifying realizations (for me) is that you already have been dead since the beginning of time (eternity?) until you acquired consciousness at about 3yo so that's the most likely place you're going

dude... i've seen like 4 ted talks and i dont remember any of them being about science, i have listened to some Lawrence Krauss tho, has he done a ted talk?
wait why are we even talking about ted talks?

when it comes to arguments related to science? absolutely. if you want to argue politics or the deeper meanings of art then no, i would defer to someone who understand those fields

>and one of the most terrifying realizations (for me) is that you already have been dead since the beginning of time (eternity?) until you acquired consciousness at about 3yo so that's the most likely place you're going

Only if you think consciousness as we experience it is the only possibility.

WHY ARE ATHEISTS SO GODDAMN MILITANT.

Same reason as religious people are militant too

Same reason teenage angst exist
Same reason children fight against their parents
Atheism is sometimes the first outlet from a childhood of stringent rules.

Not doing science it school doesnt mean im wrong, it might give me a higher chance of being wrong, but i doubt people who have taken science major are generally as interested in it as i am, so really it is an empty argument, serves no purpose what so ever, other than serving your ego or to belittle by credibility.

youtube.com/watch?v=P5_-pfqFGJI

Science didn't solve the mistery of death yet

Because watching people make decisions based on advice from their imaginary friends is horrifying.

i'm just saying that the fact that you've been dead for most of history proves that consciousness (or your soul of whatever) is not eternal (at least in one direction) and that there is a clear alternative to it

it is pretty much solved, people just refuse to listen to the answer.

paraphrasing your bottom line argument: if you dismiss all the physics the human race has discovered, then there is no proof of cause for our existence.

to piss you off, butthurt yet?

I miss Christopher Hitchens. The potential Hitchslap to this guy would have been great.

Those people aren't the problem. It's politicians making laws based on religion that athiests can't stand.

If only we could build a time machine, go mad in reliving the same sht and fail to prevent our own existance from happening, by finding out we had never existed in the first place. What hell will there be left, for the confused, unknowing? The stupid and idiotic. The rotten minds. What about the young and bright, who can see opportunity miles in radius, where you see death at every step you take, covered by worthless illusions, strangled eyes by octopus. The more you try and improve your vision the worse it will become. The more you drink, the more thirsty you will become. You were not made to become old and incapable? Who is to blame for your deteoration? When did it begin? When did you first start feeling bad? Why not spend time letting go of the cause instead of holding on to it? And is it too late? Yeah, we're going to "die." But everything will die, and even your ancestors are dead. It would be nice if we could have a purpose beyond a random experience. And we may have one, that is connected to a bigger and longer story, but who are we to know that? And it will probably be a story we don't like. So why not simply just relax, breath, take life moment by moment. Don't make any more of what is. Only then will you clear the waters of the pool of reflection, and begind to see and remember tge wonderful truth you had always loved so much, but have merely forgotten. The easy way, is to be easy on your self. Sleeping is to let go and be ok with being allowed to know the truth. Allow yourself to have a good experience come to you. You will always be surprised at how easy it is. Cause the more easy you take it, the more easy a path you will be shown, the deservingness of you is the eternal path of joy and worthiness and love and appreciation, freedom, power, knowledge, well being, clarity.

umm what?

Not what im trying to say, more like: If the physics the human race has discovered do not apply "before" the big bang, then there is no proof of cause for our existence.
I still do think that it is logical to think that the big bang did have a cause, im pretty much forced to think that, but its not necessarily the case.

Given the rapid advancement of science, how can you still believe in dog Sup Forums?

>you've been dead for most of history proves that consciousness (or your soul of whatever) is not eternal

It proves consciousness as we know it is not eternal. I agree. Also,I don't believe in souls.

But consciousness is simply the products of neural synapses and neurotransmitters. A lot of atoms arranged in this particular way creates our consciousness. BUT, does arrangements of atoms in different ways create "other" forms of consciousness?
I think so.

Tried convincing someone on /r9k/ about living in the now...
...the defeatism shared on that board and within this thread are the same.

>BUT, does arrangements of atoms in different ways create "other" forms of consciousness?
maybe in robotics, but believing there are forms of consciousness that we are not aware of (like god of after death) is by definition illogical.