Do politics belong in music Sup Forums?

do politics belong in music Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yy-SiZSlmhI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes, duh

no, buh

Yes but not all music. Pressuring apolitical pop stars to make political statements is a recipe for embarrassment.

only if it's done well, ie not "FUCK TRUMP FUCK DONALD COFFEE POT" tier

No

No, and artists shouldn't advertise their beliefs. "Get your politics out of my music" was a pretty loud rallying cry at one point. I literally do not care what you think, I care what you bring to a medium that's historically brought me joy. And it should be noted that most of the people who end up playing music are not exactly top-tier scholars. The pretensions of post-punk acts like Gang of Four and the Pop Group were always hilarious to me, then I got to a place in around 2002-2003 where all these people were talking about them like they were Hard Art and I was just like...it doesn't take a genius to come up with a slogan.
-A man smarter than me

Some protest folk is pretty good

No. Just because they can play the guitar well or sing or rap doesn't mean their political opinions are any more relevant than yours or mine. I don't turn to my mechanic when I need relationship advice, why would I turn to a musician for political analysis?

This
Vysotsky, Kaczmarski and KRyl actually made music with meaningful lyrics

That appears to be written by someone who doesn't know anything about music history.

Why do you hate freedom?

Can't believe that this is the music board and people are against this. no one's forcing you to listen

Anything can be in music, like it or not
Its not like political messages take away from how the music sounds
"Oh I don't like the band's point of view in this song, and now all the sonic merits are gone"
Its stupid. The song still sounds the same no matter what the lyrics are. A shitty band is still shitty no matter what their views are and an amazing band is still amazing no matter what THEY think of politics.

No. Yet if a certain musician already at it - criticize the politics as a whole and don't try to shove his political opinion/ideology to his fans - it's just disrespectful or it shows how lazy/desperate the musician is.

are these the constitutionalist free-speech loving red-pillers i've been hearing about?

I'm , and no. Also you have to make quite a big jump to think all that based on a "no". Maybe you would have a good time on Sup Forums where such projection capabilities are much appreciated!

STOP!

THAT'S AN AWFULLY HOT COFFEE POT
PROBABLY NOT A GOOD IDEA
TAKING SHOTS LIKE HOCKEY, AT
DONALD TRUMP, ORANGE NIGGER

YES FUCK BLUMBPF AND FUCK WHITE PEOPLE
youtube.com/watch?v=yy-SiZSlmhI

no
whoever thinks otherwise is either fascist or communist

i'm Sup Forums and even i say no

yes
whoever thinks otherwise is either apolitical or centrist

or conservative.

Gotta love country music pushing that NRA agenda

this. music is a strange form of art. while a lot of it is made for the sake of artistic expression, a lot of music, like pop and mainstream shit, is made for profit. the people producing pop aren't artists and usually aren't responsible for their lyrics or their compositions, they just perform them. having politics shoehorned in to psuedo-art is a huge fucking abortion.