My science teacher says it will fly

my science teacher says it will fly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YORCk1BN7QY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No

air has to go under the wings for it to fly

there's no forward thrust so no, it'll just fall off the back of the treadmill

It will spin the wheels, but the air is still dead under the wings. The air must be moving under the wings to create an upward force.

*both over an under

In a hypothetical scenario where the only physics you care about are a infallible plane on an infallible treadmill, yes, it will take off.

The wheels of a plane are not bound to anything. They are free-rolling and only server to counteract any resistance or friction.

As such, the engines of a plane will pull it forward on a giant treadmill, even if the treadmill is moving backwards.

The wheels will simply be rolling faster, but since the wheels have nothing to do with the forward momentum of the plane, they won't stop it.

The plane will still take off.

no its not even plugged in

the forward moment when the plane itself moves generates wind resistance and the wings angle at the edges to catch on the wind and create lift. so no it shouldnt fly but then again im pretty high right now so any thing is possible and im a retard.

Just explain to me HOW the fuck Would It NOT FLY!!??? Wheels are just turning faster, trust comes from engines... not wheels , ffs.
mmr/10

wrong it depends on if it is a helicopter or a jet

prove that there are engines

dear god

no, because its wings gonna hit the pillars on the sides

1) we don’t know if the wheels move at all.

2) we don’t know the acceleration speed of the treadmill.

2) no wind resistance.

2) we don’t know how much the plain itself weighs. It could be 1 pound or 10kgs.

6) i give up on life

Mythbusters already tested it and yes, it will fly! Only if it was being power by contact with the ground would it matter.. it's not though, it's pushing of the air.. full stop!

It depends on if x=loli

Wings need air moving over them to create lift. It will not take off. Fuck ur dumb

lift is only created by the airflow over the wings and, to a smaller extent airflow under the wings. engine thrust is not enough to create that much lift. it aint a rocketship man

They didn’t test it with under wing mounted engines, in that scenario, yes, the plane would hop off the ground a few times

I'm more impressed at the size of
that treadmill. If that's a A380 that treadmill must be one if the largest structures on earth

>being this retarded
That changes literally nothing

But IT'S PUSHING off against the air, not the ground.. so unless it is moving backwards itself, it doesn't matter.

Battery operated treadmill

That reminds me, why don't they use treadmills on aircraft carriers instead of that steel hook rope to land aircraft?

Look at this stupid motherfucker trying to act smart. Is there fucking air flowing over and under the wings?. Is it creating lift by just spinning the fucking wheels?

NO it's not going to ever fly you absolute sack of shit

You need to Google how planes work. The engines aren't magic, they can keep pace and even exceed the treadmill speed but if there's not enough wind then there's no lift.

Nope. The wings will 9/11 the treadmill. Not enough space for it to fly.

cause physics.

This. How does no one see this. Even if it moves forward it will hit the treadmill.

Yes it does, if the propeller is in front of the wings, it forces airflow under them you fuck

Yeah but the question is will it take off, not will it fly.

Normal takeoff:
>engines pull plane forward
>wheels spin at same speed as plane is moving
>takeoff
With treadmill
>engines pull plane forward
>wheels spin twice as fast as plane in moving
>takeoff

You are mentally retarded

oh shit bitch. . . its that why they use treadmills instead of wind tunnels? aww shit, fuck me i guess i gotta throw my pilots licences out

nah if it flies at all it'll just leap up and over the treadmill

I don't think it would fly though

You need to Google how wings work.

Why are you even falling for this attention seeking whore?

The engine exhaust is what provides the lift on the underside of the wing in this scenario.

lrn2planedesign

How fast the wheels spin means nothing. Planes without wings don't exist for a reason.

Dunno, but nice double dubs. Checked

>Planes without wings don't exist for a reason.
Have you ever seen a rocket?

Kek at people here trying to figure out what pioneers have figured out more then a 100 years ago.

It will take off depending on speed of both and length of runway. This shit was on mythbusters.
>MYTH PLAUSIBLE

*around, but under is what matters. If the Bernoulli effect was the sole reason lift was generated, the Wright brothers plane, anything with symmetrical teardrop shaped wings or flat wings wouldn't fly.

yupp yupp. its the same reason a shower curtain gets sucked in by the moving water in the shower spout

it's a different kind of propulsion you idiot

It's not about the wheels you stupid fuck. If the wheels move slower, faster or at the same speed as the plane it will still takeoff.

its both. but it mostly depends on the shape of the wings.

How fast the ground is moving is the truly irrelevant bit. The wheels only transmit as much reverse force as friction allows and they simply spin in place otherwise.

a rocket is an explosion placed at ass end of a tube. not a lift giving wing.

You ever seen a rocket take off on a treadmill? No? Is that maybe why they have solid surfaces with witch to push off thus going forward?

Ok put a rocket on its side and launch it, will the forward motion create lift under the rocket? As if it had wings? Or will it just grind against the earth plowing into shit until it exploads

No, cause the treadmill is in the way, also probly not a long enough take off strip. Pretty legit model tho

Depends on how it's shaped and how fast it's designed to go. Conceivably a "single wing" plane could have similar dimensions to a more traditional design if it had enough speed

This is true. Couple of Cessnas collided mid air and one guy was able to land despite only having one wing

YOu are ignoring the fact that the moving thread will also be dragging air in the direction of the thread. The backwards moving air (which is equivalent to a forward moving plane over stationary air) will put upward pressure on the structure of the plane. If the tread is moving sufficiently fast, then the increasing upward pressure will eventually allow the plane to fly

Checkmate, retards.

Yup.. as I said before. IT'S PUSHING off against the air, not the ground.. so unless it is moving backwards itself, it doesn't matter. It'll fly, end of story!

Also just FYI to everyone arguing about over vs under, the air on top has to be moving faster than the air under. The Stiller air pushes up while the faster air tugs up.
Fun trick, hold a piece of paper just under your bottom lip and blow quickly but steadily over the top

Why not just power all of new York with a potato while you're at it

your science teacher also believes that they could gas 2000 people at a time, then carry them up stairs to be cremated 15 minutes each

Is pushing it off a cliff considered take off?

No it double takes off into the 4th dimension

They're called rockets bitch

>holocaust survivors are crisis actors
Trumptards actually believe this

I really wanna strap some rockets to a treadmill and hop aboard my new rocket powered walking machine

see

Found the engineer

>Do rockets fly
No
>Why
Because muh different propulshon

Why, thank you

Your science teacher is correct.

Seaplanes can take off from rivers, they usually don't but they can.

Yoooooo broooo I'm high afff and this shit made me think real hard.

Can anyone supply me with the correct answer

if you've ever done any fluid dynamics or watched fluid simulations then you'd know that only the air closest to the tread will be displaced by friction. Air needs to move over and under the wings to generate enough lift.

In your scenario, the treadmill would need to be moving extremely fast to create enough drag to move enough air over the wings to lift the plane, which would only remain airborne for a moment before it reaches an area of higher pressure air, at which point it would return to the treadmill.

t. water transportation engineer

that is a handsome woman

what does t. Mean

The plane does not move the wheels. The wheels move as a result of the plane moving.

The wings don't fit between those pylons, so the plane will crash.

Yes it will fly because airplanes dont work like cars. They dont get their thrust from the wheels, they get it from those huge engines on the wings. So it will move forward like normal and take flight... at least on a large enough treadmill. I’m pretty sure mythbusters did an episode on this.

it means Adolf Hitler did nothing wrong my dude,.. or something

On Mythbusters the plane was moving forward faster than the sheet under it so it only lifted off because RELATIVE TO THE AIRFLOW it had enough lift. It will not work on a treadmill of any size or configuration without wind.

It'll fly for half a second before it crashes into the fuckin treadmill. Btw tell your teacher to watch this faggy

theoretically: NO

thats horrifying.. looks like ben stiller

Let's pretend that the tremill is infinite.
Let's pretend the wheels are frictionless.
Plane goes forward. Takes off.
Let's put the plane in a vacuum.
Plane stays put.
Plane no take off.
Let's strap rockets to it now.
Plane goes forward.
Plane takes off.

Key phrase here is plane goes forward.
Air is needed for traditional aircraft to take off. That's it really.

I think most people imagine a scenario where the plane just floats off the ground in place because the wheels are moving.

>plain
>give up on life

Yeah kys nigger

Ding Ding Ding! Should have thought about that myself..

Planes without wings
>a car

That's wrong. When they put the wheels up, it transfers the ground momentum to the air momentum and it can fly. I should know. I'm a aeroplane enginear.

Yeah it wont fly because it will crash

How do I get my flying car?

I'm not going to lie, takeoffs and landing on rivers is sketchy as hell.
A sand bank in the middle of the river that wasn't there a few hours ago can ruin your day

not bait ....

I think in right here, if the treadmill is moving the same speed as the plane is being propelled by the engine

Then the plane will just be rolling in a stationary position, which means the only air passing it is the breeze ...

And I am aeroplane engifar.

Planes with out wings are just box's of people on wheels

Ipso facto cars

Which is what the engines are for! The plane won't stay on the TM for long.. But even if the TM was long enough, the plane would still take off. engine power =/= wheels

Can you design a plain that put my brans back? Ples?

I know two good o'l boys that flew their car, they never meant any harm

I watched the remake of this recently .. they were on bikes though and it was called chips

The engines move the plane forward. That is all they do. The wheel allow the plane to move forward by rolling, as wheels typically do. That is all they do. So, if there is enough engine power to overcome the treadmill, then the plane will move forward, the wings will hit the supports, everybody dies. If the engines are not powerful enough, the plane is pulled backward and dumped onto the floor. Everybody dies. If the plane has just enough engine power to match speed with the treadmill, it stays stationary. The people get to live... as long as the fuel lasts.