Prog music

Hey Sup Forums, I'm still learning about music so i don't know if my opinion is too dumb or if something I'll say is wrong but here's the deal:

I've been listening to some classic prog music like Traffic, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Yes, Camel, ELP and such. While some bands have some repeated styles through their albums they mostly sound different from one another.

Newer prog on the other hand like Opeth or Animals as Leaders mostly all sounds like Dream Theater, the only one I've found that has a more varying sound is Mars Volta but most of their albums sound really similar from one another and it's gotten stale for me. So what are some newer prog bands that don't sound like dream theater and that focus on variety or experimenting rather than on complexity.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/3UQYGWC
youtube.com/watch?v=FngfnSHM0Is
youtu.be/RScsz9auK9w
youtu.be/_JZsigA_5po
youtu.be/ZNIUkwy9d-w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

b-bump

Heard maudlin of the Well?

The second wave of prog came from post-hardcore under the guise of math rock. While you need to know which ones to look for, generally that's the path of prog. Hence The Mars Volta feeling like actual prog, they're post-hardcore in prigin so they're not trying to replicate the 70's.

maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot
Gazpacho
Zs

these might work??
also I personally think BTBAM would also be sufficient

discord.gg/3UQYGWC

I asked my dad the question and surprisingly he came up with something interesting. Liquid tension despite being Dream Theater + Tony Levin is actually pretty nice and varying.
Honestly the Tool memes have driven me off math rock, plus I don't care about complexity for the sake of it so that's another reason why I'm not that much into it.
Thanks, I'm gonna check this

The Mars Volta sounds similar from one album to the other to you?

They have a pretty consistent vibe of frantic instensity, world and latin inspired grooves, and generally weird production techniques and sounds, but I can very clearly tell the difference between all of their albums.

Also this. Plenty of post-hardcore groups from even the inception of the genre have strong roots in prog behaviors.

Another place to look is modern jazz. Tigran Hamasyan's album Aratta Rebirth is basically a jazz album with strong metal influences, and the rest of his work is also fabulously intertwined with prog sensibilities. Snarky Puppy and Hiatus Kaiyote also incorporate some of those elements in more soul-based music.

Prog's evolution in rock music has gotten rather stale, so until it sees a crazy new revolution of some kind, it's better to follow it to the newer genres.

Out of the Beardspace is a really good band, and so is Stimpy Lockjaw. Really crazy stuff coming out now, just gotta know where to look.

Tool isn't really math rock, math rock can be anything from Don Caballero to The Fall of Troy to Pretend to tricot, and God knows what else. Give it a shot, though.

Oh, and Radiohead technically falls into prog.

Behold... the Arctopus, although they are a bit over the place.

youtube.com/watch?v=FngfnSHM0Is

I've heard four/five albums of Mars Volta and while I like them all, all the songs are insanely sounding and on fast beats and I do like it but the only song that I've found so far that is out of the norm is Asilos Magdalena.
>Another place to look is modern jazz. Tigran Hamasyan's album Aratta Rebirth is basically a jazz album with strong metal influences, and the rest of his work is also fabulously intertwined with prog sensibilities. Snarky Puppy and Hiatus Kaiyote also incorporate some of those elements in more soul-based music.
I might have to check on that, I haven't gone deep into modern jazz but I hope your recommendations are good, so far I've only listened to Antiphon.
I will definitively give it a shot.
>Radiohead technically falls into prog
I've even heard the same thing but for Muse. Why do they fall into prog anyway?

Check out Hella for some truly unique prog/math rock. Also The Locust if you're into really technical screamo.
And shit, if you like the mars volta but want variation check out some of Omar's solo stuff. Xenophanes and Solar Gambling are both great.

I can't say much for Muse, but Radiohead makes use of nany thinga found in prog such as the use of odd time signatures, polyrhythms, breaking away from conventional harmony, heavy use of modes, experimentations with sound as a whole, the use of classical techniques and plenty of other things as well. In a way, it's very much a Pink Floyd thing. The only thing that separates Radiohead from most prog bands are long, multi-section songs, but it's clear they're more interested in doing self-contained works.

I think what's more likely is that time has filtered out a lot of the bands that had similar sounds and left us with the best ones, it's kind of like how old music seems better than modern stuff and why you get le wrong generation xD.

>Mars Volta
>most of their albums sound really similar from one another and it's gotten stale for me
Are you for real

Check out Giant Squid

They are all way too fast paced so it saturated me, doesnt help I listened to them a lot and maybe it's just that. And even so compared to other older prog bands I liked that they used to have variating styles on some songs which so far the only non fast paced ones I recall are Asilos Magdalena and Tourniquet Man

I've heard them described as post-prog and really the only thing radiohead doesn't borrow from prog is song length so I can see why Radiohead would be considered prog. Muse do have some prog elements but they're more akin to Space rock and 90's alt rock with their later albums more concentraded on the 80's. However Muse do have plenty of like Citizen Erased,Stockholm Syndrome,The Globalist,Knights of Cydonia,Exogenesys symphony,Animals etc. could very much be considered modern prog. I actually think Muse and Radiohead would be pretty good bands to start with if you want to get in to prog

King Gizzard and the lizard wizard is the one you need

But the only commonality between most of their songs is the fast pace. If you actually listened to their songs you'd realize that each album is distinctively different from one another, both in musical influences and song structures

behold the arctopus are one of the worst bands to ever fucking exist
There's wanking and then there's BTA, literally nothing to the music at all besides complexity

here is another question. what is the difference between kraut rock and prog

One is German and one is English

is that it?

English prog relies more on 19th Century and early 20th Century classical influences, while German prog relies a lot more on minimalism and early electronic. Jazz also deeply influences both, but in different fashions.

miranda, televators, vermicide, since we've been wrong. those are all pretty slow jams

does this fall into that catergory?
youtu.be/RScsz9auK9w
youtu.be/_JZsigA_5po
youtu.be/ZNIUkwy9d-w

Nice picks, I have to say

Besides Teddy Lasry are there any other French Prog artists out there?

Magma and the whole genre of Zeuhl come to mind. French and Italian prog are different, though I can't say much on what makes them different, it's due to a lack of analysis more than anything.