I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology...

I have a PhD in molecular biology with focus on stem cell biology. Ask me anything about the ten years I wasted in university.

Other urls found in this thread:

logofshit.com/
andyslogs.wordpress.com
youtu.be/q7eZAR4DqEw
youtu.be/Ff5wV-PBQmg
youtu.be/3XTKP8j8CEo
youtu.be/bFWsTWvyQL8
youtu.be/4gA9u0JDHo0
youtu.be/cQJNL9PZIVM
youtu.be/k-8y3pB0fqA
youtu.be/ybVg02fbAX8
youtu.be/gi-LS_7_vD4
youtu.be/atFaKgBWN4w
youtu.be/T9IRDoe2UzQ
youtu.be/srq8EQavQz8
youtu.be/3_gQtqFPkNw
youtu.be/FxvAQR8sm-Q
youtu.be/aQgGIvbreXM
youtu.be/xBXp2b3YEYU
youtu.be/kk3T29sqiuA
youtu.be/f-G7vXVGOt4
youtu.be/H6_CpwBjl9E
youtu.be/4zVJ55U9RtI
youtu.be/eH0xlZu-qAg
youtu.be/rg0gp8oCfYc
youtu.be/VATvB53L9pw
youtu.be/j68W7y4qvco
youtu.be/ZPFNB2oOM1U
youtu.be/3NAlu0UGBqQ
youtu.be/hk8ESKRXkUA
youtu.be/a5Yz3_HaStM
youtu.be/yKXMQEqerIg
youtu.be/WRS6nPu91yY
youtu.be/6d__Uq61XZo
youtu.be/DXu6Kd8rRTU
youtu.be/UptLe9y4_wg
youtu.be/xUAODdohl-8
youtu.be/SFnaZUAXopo
youtu.be/227i-_wXep4
youtu.be/EmbUqArXfuA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How many times has this been posted? Be honest.

what's your favourite color?

What is pic related?

Between 10 and 20 times.

How often do the suicidal thoughts come? How quickly do they go?

Why? Considering your reason for posting this (which is to flaunt your supposed intelligence), it would take a real idiot to voluntarily waste 10 years and at no point within those 10 years do anything about it.

niggers??

Ultramarin

>bioLOGy

Lichtmans Brainbow system. Neurons randomly colored with different fluorescent proteins using a combinatorial approach.

I'm on antidepressants so I am fine in that regard atm.

Ironically, going for a PhD is the path of least resistance in biology. So not a sign of intelligence.

I start that same PhD in july. why do you think it was a waste?

My PhD was not very successful publication wise and pretty all over the place when it comes to skills so now I have problems getting employed. I'm pretty sure I would be faring much better if I would've quit academia after my Master.

why is OP always a faggot (no exception in this thread)?

Why does my pee pee come out yellow?

That's just the way it is.

Urobilin.

why can we just create polymerase and inject it into people to make more telomeres?

Elaborate on your second comment.
Genuinely I am curious.

Hey OP, I have B.S in Molecular biology and a M.S. in Genetics. Unfortunately I'm also unemployed & depressed. Any advice on what should I do with my life?

Is math related to science?

it is a science

>a PhD
and you're browsing Sup Forums?
really...

>Can we?

It is still a challenge to overexpress certain proteins in every cell of mammalian organisms. Vector delivery is still one of the big limitations of gene therapy. Adeno associated viral systems work quite well in mic, but I don't know if we have any reliable clinical data on its performance in humans.

> Should we

Results when it comes to e.g. overexpression of TERT in mice are ambivalent. While most studies find an effect on hallmarks of aging, telomerase over activation might be linked to increased cancer burden and neurological dysfunction.

Since PhD students are lowly paid labourers which do most of the work in almost any lab, people are not picky when it comes to employing them. Getting a PhD position is thus not an indication of merit only open for an elite of students.

Sorry bro. No idea.

I'm actually pretty retarded.

Are Traps Gay?

your opinion on crisper cas9, cool or more nah?

can i get microrobots into my system to regenerate dead cells and live forever or as long as i want?

CRISPR Cas9 works incredibly and has lots of potential. It is however not as incredibly revolutionary as the science hype machine suggests.

Oh wow. Never knew that.
What are your plans now?

You can get a job at a Junior College, and then have sex with loser 18 year old girls who couldn't get into regular university.

I'd say you're my hero so far.

I'm currently working minimum wage while continuing to write job applications.

Lecturer positions are actually pretty restricted in Germany. As are teaching positions.

bump

Purkinje cells?

what anti depressant do you take

Would need to look into the paper which region of the brain that is. Not a neurobiologist.

Escitalopram.

Validity of in vitro meat and how long before it's feasible for us pions?

I have a PhD in history. I spent three years as an adjunct before deciding that academia is a fucking scam. Went and got a JD. Sold my soul, but ban now afford to eat.

Academia is a fucking racket.

looks like the transition between grey and white matter of a cerebelum

>Germany
Have you already goofed yourself by posting here? God knows they don't want our thoughts in Germany at all, let alone with a lecturer

Valid. But too costly at the moment.

Whats a JD?

law degree

Ah. Nice.

This is why you failed.

Not really. It pays the bills, but tax law is painfully boring and soul-sucking.

No it's the hippocampus

Wasted? You're probably too retarded to be a scientist. You're here after all.

You are probably right. Still, I wasted my time doing that fucking PhD.

I had a mocell exam today and one of the bonus questions was how do they stain individual chromosomes when doing karotypes. Whats the answer?

Multicolor fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH).

Looks like a vagina to me.

>had the opportunity to completely focus 10 years on understanding how life works
>wasted

lel get fucked m8

dont you need to have single strain dna in order to hybridize it? Thats where I was confused because I thought you would want in tact chromosomes

Please shut the fuck up.

Why didn't you CRISPR a blockchain?

You'd make BILLIONS now.

wtf is this bullshit and why is it all over Sup Forums now

logofshit.com/

WordPress: andyslogs.wordpress.com

Plebbit: r/AndysLogs

Twitter: @andyslogofshit

Tumblr: www dot logsofshit dot tumblr dot com

youtu.be/q7eZAR4DqEw
youtu.be/Ff5wV-PBQmg
youtu.be/3XTKP8j8CEo
youtu.be/bFWsTWvyQL8
youtu.be/4gA9u0JDHo0
youtu.be/cQJNL9PZIVM
youtu.be/k-8y3pB0fqA
youtu.be/ybVg02fbAX8
youtu.be/gi-LS_7_vD4
youtu.be/atFaKgBWN4w
youtu.be/T9IRDoe2UzQ
youtu.be/srq8EQavQz8
youtu.be/3_gQtqFPkNw
youtu.be/FxvAQR8sm-Q
youtu.be/aQgGIvbreXM
youtu.be/xBXp2b3YEYU
youtu.be/kk3T29sqiuA
youtu.be/f-G7vXVGOt4
youtu.be/H6_CpwBjl9E
youtu.be/4zVJ55U9RtI
youtu.be/eH0xlZu-qAg
youtu.be/rg0gp8oCfYc
youtu.be/VATvB53L9pw
youtu.be/j68W7y4qvco
youtu.be/ZPFNB2oOM1U
youtu.be/3NAlu0UGBqQ
youtu.be/hk8ESKRXkUA
youtu.be/a5Yz3_HaStM
youtu.be/yKXMQEqerIg
youtu.be/WRS6nPu91yY
youtu.be/6d__Uq61XZo
youtu.be/DXu6Kd8rRTU
youtu.be/UptLe9y4_wg
youtu.be/xUAODdohl-8
youtu.be/SFnaZUAXopo
youtu.be/227i-_wXep4
youtu.be/EmbUqArXfuA

As hard to find a job as I’m imagining?

Biological Laboratory assistant in training here, couple colleagues consider moving on to molecular medicine afterwards, considering that you can only study that in cologne in Germany, I’d guess if anyone’s hiring for that you’d easily find a job.

I’ll stick around here if I can, job offers for us have basically been retracted after we were promised to get non timed jobs (security in Germany is way better than in ‘murica) for the first two years.

>severe autism
gotcha

>t. Retard

I doubt getting a PhD with an adequate level of intelligence is much of a hurdle to take other than having to waste a fuckton of your lifetime on it.

I did my A levels with an average of 2.3 doing nothing because I’m lazy as fuck, if I had any reason to get a PhD (which is basically turning you into an educated bum in Germany) I could quite probably do it.

And yes, I am a retard too.

Not OP but right now that’s not an option and I doubt that it would be any time soon.

There’s other equivalents that would do the same for you, they just wouldn’t be robots... your body would fight the robot in an ugly way, as in most likely killing you while doing essentially nothing to the robot.

OP here. You are right.

for how long did you believe to find a breakthrough, write high impact papers, get funding to create your own research group/lab?
when did the realization set in that it probably wont work out and how did it make you feel?

Which one is pluripotent, multipotent and totipotent? I always get them confused.

Let me tell you why it was a waste. Not op, but he was not smart enough. He was a stupid lazy american and the chink and dot heads would remind him every day how stupid he was and how easy it was for them.

you ever thought about working with a computer engineer to create a system to seamlessly combine neurons with hardware.... like full metal alchemist?

>for how long did you believe to find a breakthrough

Undergrad. Come one, don't be unrealistic.

>write high impact papers

Mid-PhD

>get funding to create your own research group/lab?

End of PhD. I did a few years of postdoc but only because I didn't know what else to, and everyone said that I should give a try.

The really hard realization was that industry is just as oversupplied with PhDs as academia.

I'm actually German.

>non-timed jobs
>2 years

you kinda said it yourself, there is no long time job security in your field, all contracts are limited to up to 2 years or project based
also TAs kinda need to compete with cheap PhD slaves and master students who work for free
then again I met female TAs in their 40s-50s staying in the same lab for years or hopping from lab to lab and they seemed pretty chill doing their cell culture work and going home early

>I’m actually German

Sieg Heil then, where you from?

I meant the first two years of the apprenticeship, we’re still sort of promised 6 months now.

Back when I started they told everyone they had a 100% full time rate for everyone who wanted to take one, the 6 months were supposed to go non timed either immediately or within those 6 months.

If I was starting out now I’d probably get the same promises because they could keep them in 3-3,5 years from now.

Problem is around here they’re by far the largest and only employer of that size, nobody else could offer the same security and payment. I’m not bound to anything but having to apply literally everywhere is also a pain in the ass.

Hamburg.

Hessen here, not sure what it looks like around your place but we sort of lack any kind of labs of a comparable scale to my current employer around here, got to hope that they do take me or I’ve got to get in line elsewhere starting june.

Not only looking locally. I'm open to move around in Northern and Western Europe.

Same pretty much, even got a Camebridge C1 in Business (still not sure why our employer got us business but whatever) and wouldn’t mind living anywhere else as long as English can get me by.

Do you actually have to apply for every job individually or is there another solution?

did you get to scientist as a job????

>ten years I wasted in university.
why do you say your time is wasted?

so whats the plan Bernd? hop from postdoc to postdoc? settle down in industry?

btw I think I remember this kind of thread from years ago
were you the guy who had problems talking to/getting in relationship with women or was that some other depressed biomed guy?

What did you do the night when you were done?

Might be some other guy. Anyway, I really wanted to go into industry but I haven't been successful in getting any job offer.

Because he studied quite likely for nothing. He gathered knowledge and all but that’s essentially for naught jf he doesn’t get a job that actually demands that kind of qualification.

It’s the same as human biology which is supposed to be an amazing subject to study, but because of that you won’t get a job in the field, likely not even if you get percect scores throughout.

Those jobs are few and quickly taken when vacant so with more and more people studying these fields you’re increasingly more likely to be a bum or highly overqualified (if your field even remains the same) than actually working what you studied for.

I’m doing an apprenticeship in a related field and our teachers reported that a lot of people they know switched from the actually interesting fields into teaching because your job opportunities are just much better, here in Germany anyway (OP also said he’s German).

I have Phd in Condensed matter physics, I wasted 8 years... well you don't waste these years, you learn about yourself while gov is paying for you studying, then 10 years thereafter you are more likely to use some of the knowledge to change other people's lives. I absolutely don't regret it. I worked in the City of London for the past 4 years and that has been fucking dry. 80% of people are fucking plastic and hollow inside and care more about their pet chihuahua than anything else. The world is as empty as inter atomic space. Get used to that. I still love sciences and it was just recently I have been getting back at it. Today I had an interview with a hedge fund. I would love to get my hands dirty with data analysis. Look at patterns, spend sleepless nights trying to solve problems... I love sciences.

shit im actually scared now, i was supposed to register for a degree in biomolecular next month. should i aim to be a lecturer or something after i finished my degree?
but i really want to be in R&D, i dont want some lifeless job.

any help would be appreciated.

the problem with the biomed field is that you dont really learn any real skills in your studies
when a medical doc learns anamnesis and how to treat patients, a engineer learns math/physics, a comp scientist learns coding - all hard skills that you can apply across different fields - what does a molecular biologist learn? to cook together a couple ingredients according to some protocols and put them on cell culture and do some imaging analysis
people like OP are replaceable lab drones and the only way to make it in his field is to get a lucky breakthrough
and even then he would still be stressed out working 60+ hours a week micro-manageing his lab, because the science is mostly wishy-washy and unpredictable

ive seen this shit a lot of times bro im sorry for you

how much can you make after you get a job with that phd?

Studying biochemistry, does it have the same issues as your field with getting a job postdoc? People here seem to think there's a lot of opportunities with the increases in govt grants with microbiome research and crispr/cas9 picking up

k fuck this im gonna be a lecturer while playing with the lab equipment on the university. at least i have fun with my own personal RnD