Be me

>be me
>ultimate fucking pleb
>Work a job where we deliver food to disadvantaged apartment complexes
>Requires that the five of us ride in one person's car every day 7 hrs a day
>I'm only guy
>Of course this involves plenty "jamming" to top 40 and trendy music, answering trivial questions about my life, and the girls fronting about how awesome their lives are and their boyfriends
>Already expected that one of the first questions that would be asked is "what kind of music do you listen to user!" when i read the job description
>Also expected that once the girls got bored of playing their music i would be expected to play
>Familiar with this treacherous territory, and knew playing it right is crucial for survival in the workplace
>Already actually listen to Jeremih a lot, so just said "Jeremih", and kept it at that everytime the question was asked
>"Lolol, wait that's all you listen to?? Just one artist?? Do you like Bruno Mars??"
>"Haha, user is so funny, we asked him what he listens to and all he wants to play is Jeremih. Yeah maybe he's gay or something i dunno"

>One day the group leader who drives us is gone.
>Two people drive in their own car, and i ride with another person
>She's christian, ultra optimistic, rides horses on her family farm, doesn't care about money, very simple normie. She even refuses to cuss ever
>Asks me if i have Jesus in my life, etc.
>Been playing country music all day.

>"Wait so what radio station do you listen to?"
>"None of them really do it for me"
>So it's literally just umm...Jeremiah right, that's the only person you listen to..."
>"Yep"
>"Do you like country user?"
>Yeah some of it. The old stuff is good
>"Oh yeah...my dad has a guitar and he played some like, old stuff, and i didn't know any of it, lol
>*Usher comes on
>"Do you like Usher?"
>"Yeah sure, Climax was good"
>"Okay what's like your favorite song ever?"
>"What's yours?"
>"I dunno, probably The Climb. Wait, you're gonna say a Jeremih song right?"
>"Yes"
cont.

What the fuck job do you work that requires five of you riding in one person's car everyday for 7 hours? Solid blogpost so here's your (You)

Just fucking play some post-industrial shit you pussy.

>he didn't have it all written out
I want to die

this
wtf nigga, type first, post last.

>"So you dont...really listen to much music do you"
>"Nah not really"
>"But you knew an Usher song LOLOL, so DO know more than Jeremih!"
>"But that's the only music I can play for you guys in the car!"
>"What do you mean? We want to hear what else you like user!"
>"No you wont"
>"What WHY??"
>"Trust me, leave it at that"
>"What other music do you listen to??"
>"Jeremih is clean and happy, the other stuff i listen to is dark and extreme and it wont be good for you"
>"Wait, WHY do you listen to...dark...and what did you say, extreme? music..."
>"Cause my life is shit!"
>"What music do you listen to? Here just play it" *hands me aux
>"You sure?
>"Yeah I wanna hear!"
>*pull up Funhouse by Red House Painters. "You sure you want to listen to this nine minute song?"
>"Yeah sure!"

give me a job like that. i'd be fucking all of them while somebody drives
bitch ass nigga worrying about music like a retard

this is the true face of autism

oh my god I can't even look

this explain yourself op

>As the first half of the song kicks in, i recline back in the passenger seat, close my eyes, and take in the lyrics. Oddly contrasting with the bright sunshine outside
>She's silent
>Then the second half kicks in, with louder guitars and wailing
>I open my eyes and look over
>She's staring directly ahead. Hard to make out her expression behind her sunglasses, but her mouth hasn't moved.
>The song closes out as we reach our destination, with the last fizzles of dissonant guitars.
>"So what did you think!" i say, looking at her with a smile as we exit
>She gets out of the car, doesn't look in my direction. Doesn't say a word.

>She went from asking me stupid questions about my studies and my life and travels and what kind of food i like and nonstop, to zip. Nothing. Not a word.
>Continued like this for the next month of summer until the end of our job

MFW

nice, couldve been worse

Americorps. It's like a highschool/post highschool summer job for useless plebs. You ride in the group leader's car to each destination, and then hand out food and play with kids for 45 mins. There's like 8 destinations in a day, so there's about 5-10 minute car ride to each place

Why would you do this. I like plenty of weird inaccessible shit but you have to like SOME music that is accessible to normies.

i can't tell you how dry these buzzfeed reading utterly suburban basic but think they have super diverse interests bitches were. Unless you were like a basketball player, there was no getting in those pussies

i played and fucking answered Jeremih every day for a month til i couldn't take it anymore. You know these bitches, you know they will not stop

We get it dude, you think you're better than them. Good job.

wowww kill yourself

>"Yeah I wanna hear!"
when will you people learn this is almost never true

then why do they keep persisting

they want to know how to make fun of you behind your back

so basically you should do nothing

or show them something not quite so likely to make a normal go "omg dont shoot up the school LOL" and accept them gossiping that youre a dork who likes weird music

i like music i like art there's no "weird" about it

okay then play fucking david bowie or fucking talking heads. jfc its not hard to mix both

wouldn't i look like more of a bitch in the girl's eyes for not playing what i felt like at the moment, and playing some golden oldie stuff that we all know?

Not to be mean but when you said dark and extreme, I didn't expect Red House Painters. I was expecting something like Giles Corey at the least. I mean, at least you didn't play Sun Kil Moon. She probably just thinks you're sad, instead of a sociopath or something.

If I showed my family that I enjoy grindcore, black metal and powerviolence, they would think I'm shooting heroin or on the verge of pulling a Rodgers.

I was just talking off the fly trying to get her off the subject.

I listen mostly to old memphis horror rap, and some slowcore guitar heavy music like RHP or Codeine etc. And i definitely wasn't gonna be playing satanic rap for her christian ass, so Funhouse seemed the closest to something that might just fade in the background and be forgettable. Cause it is kinda forgettable on first listen until you revisit it again. I guess those screams at the end really got to her though.

When you think of it though, the sadness in Kozelek's songs can be pretty extreme. It goes to suicidal depths so deep that it comes out the other end as cynical. To me the lyrics often resemble someone who's really sick in the head

Also, if you really are sad, try to find a therapist. Even if you don't believe you have any extremely obvious or clear mental disorders, just talk with someone. Try to make your mental state just a little better; it doesn't have to be perfect. I was holed in my room, unemployed, starving myself and listening to depressing music for a long time, and even though it took a while, talking to a therapist helped make me more content and less worried about stuff in general.

I mean you might as well. I remember when my uncle would drag me to prayer meetings and try to convert me in private, because he saw that I was depressed. I couldn't take it. It was so embarrassing and uncomfortable. Therapy made it easier to get through that time, also because it helped me find a job, go back to school, play music, cook, learn new things and do more things that made life more enjoyable and worth continuing.

Hang in there user.

I'm more angry, rage filled. I denied it for many years, and listened to stuff like U2 and Muse 3 years ago, basically suppressing everything and telling myself it's all okay and the world is really beautiful.

Then i got out into the world and my tastes became harder. Before, i couldn't for the life of me understand what people saw in metal music or lyrics about chopping bodies up. But here i am now, listening to music about going to hell and wanting to drag everyone down with you and it makes perfect sense.

After years of rejection and being ignored by society and my peers and my family over and over and over again, and realizing i have absolutely no one to turn to, realizing i've had to fight so hard for scraps, seeing that for whatever reason others dont treat me the way they treat each other, i'm past my breaking point. I really feel i'm past any therapy. The world is so ugly when it's filled with people driven by fear, and i want to take out all those motherfuckers who make it that way. Like I'm going to force you to acknowledge me since you dont want to face me, and in turn make you face yourself.

So it's not as much a sad thing as it is a raging homicidal thing. And i think I am about to go on to live a very angry life. Still though, when I'm alone, the sadness is what's left, and lyrics like "View of rain clouds from the window, moving behind the pale of her face" really do hit.

>Rage Comic

Why didn't you just play "Have You Forgotten" ???

I usually just play Radiohead or Sufjan when I'm with normies.

what the fuck redhouse painters isn't even that weird though

>Sup Forums commenting on anyone else's life
>Sup Forums dickriding other dudes
who are the plebes?

so u dint liek teh strory?

op is gay

10mins x 8 = 80 mins

Damn...

Maybe it's because you screamed "my life is shit!" then reclined and stared at a light bulb?
I dunno.

thanks for the hearty kek from sharing my story

>Radiohead or Sufjan
cause i'm not a pleb who's in 9th grade. Playing those would have me looking like i peruse the vinyl section at Urban Outfitters in my green tint ray bans, and i cant be looking like that

Not familiar with that band or song but I'm listening to it now and seems like your typical teenage sadcore. Not sure why anyone would be upset by this?

stfu buddy you get better taste if you cant figure out what kind of music is acceptable in a social position lmfao

if women allow themselves to be in the car with you every day without objection you probably smell good and have decent manners. I don't think the music issue matters.

sure man, that girl had even given me rides all the way home several times before. So i figured if they feel comfortable enough with me so far, even though i can be pretty outspoken and disagreeable, it must be because they appreciate my personality anyway. So why wouldn't she appreciate one song as an insight into my personality.

But boy was i wrong, and blown away by the reaction. But why though? I knew that would happen. Even if i let them pester me for a whole 2 years before cracking, the reaction would have been the same. Girls do not operate on the space time continuum

Grow up kid.

>muh my life sucks
kys OP
or go to Africa u pussy

i really wonder if these stories are true, you can't possibly be this stupid

if you're around normies, play stuff like washed out, real estate, smashing pumpkins, massive attack, whatever. you get my gist - stuff that's in the middle between normie stuff and experimental japanese avant garde noise you masturbate to.
or better yet don't give a fuck about anyone's opinions about your music taste like a normal person would.

Drake is tight man, just play some Drake.

I just listened to Red House Painters for the first time after reading this thread and honestly, my first impression is that anybody who's had any sort of experience listening to popular Grunge music or some sad pop songs would find "Funhouse" pretty agreeable. Maybe you just struck out with her, dude.

>work unloading trucks at Walmart
>8-12 people in the back working at a time
>listen to Spotify on a bluetooth speaker every day
>2000's punk rock
>Synthpop
>deathcore
>only a few other people like any of it
>Majority of the workplace listen to rap(Jcole) exclusively
>"Why don't you listen to something else for once"

I doubt they'll enjoy Fiona Apple or Joanna Newsom. Been like this for a year. They're starting to get used to it.

Why would anyone be offended by this music, like if you played public castration is a good idea or something similar then I could see it going south but that track offended her to that extent?