One of the leading causes of death to the Native Americans aside from war is the diseases that were brought over from...

One of the leading causes of death to the Native Americans aside from war is the diseases that were brought over from the European explorers/colonizers. Hell, it is THE leading cause. But how come the European explorers didn't inherit any diseases from the Native Americans? And if they actually did; why wasn't the plague remotely as contagious as the European diseases? Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/JEYh5WACqEk
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The answer lies in farm animals. Livestock and their diseases

Look it up

They did, it killed many colonists but due to european density in the new world it mattered less.
>why wasn't the place remotely as contagious as the European diseases?

What? The plague was a European disease.

Learn history underage bait

Plague*

I actually haven't thought of that. Did any of the tribes have any animal husbandry or did they only hunt wild animals?

OP here:
I mispoke. What I meant to say was "spread like the plague".

No nigga, that's what he's saying.

No. Just some limited grain and kernel crops. Corn being the big one

For thousands of years European and other livestock cultures would catch NASTY diseases from their herd animals and kill large percentages of the human populations.

The folks who had immunity inherited the future over and over again. All the ppl in your pic had ancestors with those immunity genes.

Indigenous Americans were being hit with super specialized germs that they had no generational adaptations to deal with.

That's one reason why we clean stuff that comes back from space really really well. Re-entry hardware and experiments, etc

Thank you for the answer. I knew they carried some rats over on the ships that also had diseases but I didn't think would've been enough. I never would've thought the answer would've lied in the livestock.

>No. Just some limited grain and kernel crops. Corn being the big one.

Hmm... but didn't the Mayans breed alpacas for their furs and cloths? I know that's not a food-related animal though.

Nope it was the people. Coughing and fucking and sharing sips off the same coconut.
But those European HUMANS carried the sicknesses not animals like rats or cows.

They were really strong germs evolved from thousands of years doing the animal to man dance in Europe. Cow-tested Sheep-approved carriable-by-man-now germs.

AH-AH-AAACCHHHOOO!!!

Syphilis is believed to have been transmitted to Europe from the Americas.

Really? Do you mind if inquire where your source is from? I never would've imagined.

I think alpacas and llamas were just rounded up a once a year for shearing and or and slaughter.

NOT living in a barn which was often attached to your human home all damn year and through the cold winter. think fleas

What the South American natives did was more like round up hunting, herd following. not co-habitation like our weird animal loving husband ancestors.

It was documented that the first case was recorded only a few years after Columbus' voyage.

They had them as pack animals, that's it.

Records of syphillis go waay back in the eastern hemisphere. Ancient Greece and Egypt have some historical accounts. But i think its safe to assume it was pan-European.

Oh I see what you mean! I guess you're right man.

Almost certain syphillis originated in llamas or alpaca.

So syphilis isn't from the Americas then? Do we know of any diseases that are uniquely from the Americas? What about rabies?

yeah llamas and alpacas- the Camelids of south America lived "out in the field" or farther. not in a barnyard on your property. Which in European urban areas were tight lots of land. a checkerboard of humans and animals in close proximity.

Syphilis infects primates. People, apes, and monkeys

The origin of syphilis isn't well documented. However the first reported case in Europe was two years after Columbus returned from America.

Apparently rabies originates from australia

Thanks for the insight user!

>aside from war
War contributed far less to the death of natives than disease. Disease was rampant. This whole "we genocided native americans" narrative is a load of shit fueled by lies such as the "smallpox blankets" story.

It is a great disservice to native americans to perpetuate a myth for the sake of modern political gain.

Imagine being in one of these medieval villages after after an animal plague rolled through and killed ALMOST everyone? Imagine like... maybe you are the only child to survive in your family. you and only a handful of random other people survive because you have that survivor gene. You'd basically inherit you home village with the small group of others. THIS HAPPENED!

The cool part is that the people you now live and procreate with will by default have the resistance gene too, and so must your children.

Until the next time!

AIDS

I am very sorry if I have offended your sensibilities user. It was not my intention. I was speaking in general terms.

HIV was from Africa though. And AIDS is just an advanced form of HIV when you get an illness or infection due to losing your immune system.

Except that old worlders have kept animals for thousands of years, started around the agricultural revolution, and never succumbed to widespread domestic animal plagues. It was a "bit by bit" process.

Yeah i was wrong about Syphilis in Ancient Greece and Egypt, got it confused with herpes

inaccurate. think about it.

BLACK DEATH was just the most famous and modern. there were many pandemics in Euro-Asian history. It's my understanding that they usually started in herd animal populations first then mutated.

Could you imagine living during that time period? That'd seriously fucking suck. It's one thing to just see a picture but it'd be whole other thing to actually live it.

Syphilis has no accounts from any of those civilizations. It was definitely present in precolumbian america though.
onlinelibrary.wiley()com/doi/10.1002/evan.20340/abstract

Ring Around A Rosey?

Sounds like animal husbandry really had a much larger impact on human mortality then previously imagined. Really an eye-opener.

Except plague is a bacteria whose only relations to humans are through rats and fleas. As far as I'm concerned, humans weren't using rats in the manner as horses.

The marketplace in Naples during the plague of 1656:

ARTISTS RENDITION

No they weren't But think of it this way, fleas don,t care if you are a rat horse or human, and neither does the blood pathogen.

It was a shared sickness among those phylum.

The word here is VECTOR that what the rats (and the fleas) were.

Europeans were filthy by natives standards
They were advance enough but were producing a lot of trash which
was commonly thrown out on the streets
aside from living with animals which only made it worse
Which is why there was a fuck ton of rats all over the place
So when the Plague hit it hit fast as fuck since there was a crazy
network of rats all over the place
natives by comparison had shitty diseases which didn't really
affect europeans
the whole resistance to diseases shit is real but many europeans died

you cant say that europeans didn't kill the natives tho
they did kill them but got off easy since so many of them died from disease

TLDR : Europeans were gross and killed natives with their diseases

"Bring out yer dead!"

Think about the current virulent diseases that run through the entire world's human population. Swine flu. Bird flu. They are pathogens that live on livestock, they mutate constantly, and one of those mutations can survive on human flesh. Next thing you know it spreads from a farmer to his family to his village to a neighboring city to someone on an airplane and then your young child dies of it.

In medieval times, Europe was the India of the world
>poo in the loo

Great visuals on this post.

yuckky!

I have heard a theory about what may have contributed to the strengthened immunity to so many horrible diseases. It's that since Caucasians have slightly more neanderthal DNA then the other ethnic groups who are more "pure" homosapian; they inherited a stronger immune system.

Watch this video.
youtu.be/JEYh5WACqEk

cite your source or gtfo misinformed cuck

I really doubt it has as much to do with the mixture of races, as much as it has to do with higher population concentrations and the increased communication of disease.

Would it be so crazy to also imagine this scene:

On particularly cold night couldint you see some poor old gaul stumbling drunkenly into a barn out of the snow and ice just to not pass out and freeze to death by cuddling some warm sheep?

and simliar? LOL

I think some of the less fortunate of our ancestors lived VERY close to their animals

You're probably right. I heard the theory from an episode of NOVA from PBS. It's an educational series that focuses on science and I watched an episode featuring Neil Degrasse Tyson who brought up the theory.

they had stronger immunity from living with trash
and animals
a fuck ton of europeans died all the time from diseases
the plague was just one of the more crazy ones
they made their immune system stronger through surviving
the fuckton of diseases living with trash and animals produce

if it was real tho the effect is negligible which is also just believing that neanderthal immune systems were stronger

this guys gets it
airplanes are our rats
but instead of just affecting the country we have the
possibility of infecting the whole world

lol cuck

I corected myself:
contribute something yourself you ingrate
: )

I would bring up Jared diamond but not sure if Sup Forums is ready to hear his name without sperging.

Pig shit everywhere

LOL i know

I as going to initially but i know how Sup Forums is with jewish anything

Barbarians in the information age!

its funny to think that had the Europeans not brought diseases they wouldn't have been able to
take over the land as fast as they did
which would have dramatically shaped the way
USA would have been born
the natives outnumbered Europeans and an all out war
would have killed europeans
the European plague numbers were nothing compared the
amount of natives that died from the plague, malaria, and smallpox

plague came from China

Plague didn't come from europe

Because of marijuana the natives smoked that kept them healthy

Yep. Sorry but:

"i am 14 and this is deep"

Natives didn't have marijuana dipshit. Peyote and other hallucinogens were what they had. Tobacco was what they used in peace pipes.

It's not just Gauls. Romans lived with their animals, too, even in second floor apartments in cities.

How the fuck has nobody mentioned Guns, Germs, and Steel... It's literally a best-seller devoted to this topic.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

Anybody read this book?
This isn't directly related to OP's question, but the author investigates how Old World biology had evolved to cope with disease while New World people had immune systems better adapted for parasites. Pretty cool stuff.
Also *suggests* but doesn't claim that the Americas could have had a larger population than the rest of the globe. Even if that's not true, it gives you an idea of how much was lost with their disappearance. Imagine if we lived in a world where people had a vague idea that Europe and Asia had once existed, but couldn't tell you anything about them.

/watch?v=JEYh5WACqEk