>1:30 PM - Indy Lights qualifying for Freedom 100

Friday, May 26th
>11:00 AM - Carb Day Final Practice
>12:30 PM - Indy Lights Freedom 100 Race
>1:30 PM - Pit Stop Competition

Saturday, May 27th
>10:30 AM - Public Drivers Meeting

Sunday, May 28th
>11:00 AM - 101st Running of the Indianapolis 500 (HYPE)

>Streams and Laptimes
youtube.com/user/indycars
racecontrol.indycar.com/

>News
indycar.com/News
racer.com/indycar

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5tXsdvIXE
youtube.com/watch?v=Av7hslncBpw
youtube.com/watch?v=AYkizzfsXoM
racer.com/f1/item/140804-button-covets-nascar-driver-rather-than-indy
twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/867385299076337665
twitter.com/mikhailaleshin/status/867452624685203458
youtube.com/watch?v=SiYO2oTdRaA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6UcvNX4o8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for F1 > Indycar

Second for disagreement.
Most Motorsport has its place, a rising tide raises all boats.
The real competition Motorsport has is every other kind of programming on television.

Rude to be desu

inb4 pruned or deleted

When's the next driving session / practice?

In a little over 2 hours we'll get to see the 2018 Road/street course aero.
>Why should I care?
Because they've actively tried to design it with form and function in mind. The will take design cues from CART and Champ Car, while the function takes a page out of champ car's book, whereby it has a heavy focus on undertray downforce and clean air on top.

Should look pretty 2pm ET is when we'll see it. Hoping for good things.

In the future this may also lead to teams editing small areas of the cars themselves, but that's optimistic, let's just hope for a pretty car first.

Carb day

Carb Day(Saturday I think?), it's just an hour session for install laps and making sure equipment is ready for Race day.
Otherwise we're prepped for Sunday.

The main things to follow now are just drivers on the media tour, technical talk, and history courtesy of Robin Miller(though he's always a bit hazy) and Marshall Pruett.
Donald Davison is another guy who knows his Indy 500 history unbelievably well.

Friday

For those bored, here's the IMS Museum tour with Robin and Marshall. AJ Foyt is a living legend, I'm not sure if there's another driver who has ever won as many races if we add all his Indycar, Sprint, Midget, NASCAR, Le Mans wins together.
That's what the museum displays are about lots of cool old cars and history here.
youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5tXsdvIXE (part 1)
youtube.com/watch?v=Av7hslncBpw (part 2)
youtube.com/watch?v=AYkizzfsXoM (part 3)

thanks

Robin Miller and Marshall Pruett videos are super comfy

How many Indycar drivers have a pro wrestling background?

Paul Tracy was the closest guy to it.
He mistook racing for car wrestling sometimes, despite this he was a good driver.
He was an old breed of Leaf that didn't take shit from anyone and was nobody's nu-male.

Foyt is God

Button doesn't want to drive Indy, well no shit you cuck.
racer.com/f1/item/140804-button-covets-nascar-driver-rather-than-indy

We get it, Wheldon passed and Justin did too. The reality is that racing is dangerous and we'll engineer until it's nearly riskless, but those guys were doing what they loved, who are you to be a condescending fuckhead.

Both you and Hamilton are in the same puss boat. Fernando wanted to race something, to be something greater than you, hell he already is.

Carb day is Friday.

This car looks good

>metal suspension
>not carbon fibre

IndyCars really are about 20 or 30 years behind F1 aren't they

that is carbon... are all bongs this dumb?

You sure? It looks like chrome to me

carbon fiber with a clear coat reflects light... this seems well waxed as it appears to be at a car show or something. You could look at any image of the current car under natural light and see clearly it is carbon.

Even if it was metal suspension it still looks better than modern F1 cars.

Hoping for better pictures soon.

Here's some.

sexy

We also recieved the updated oval kit which I'll post a few here soon.

I still hate the platypus nose, but overall, especially from the side the car looks really good.

Look ma, no pods.

so they're just renderings? I thought we were supposed to see something substantial since they're supposed to begin testing in the summer

nice

Testing begins in July.
These are basically 100% accurate renderings.

Looking forward to another Dan Wheldon-esque fatal 2 races into the season

There were a lot more factors than open wheels involved that made the race at Vegas dangerous.
The incident likely would have happened even in the DW12.
We don't see that kind of racing much anymore thank God.

Last one.

I'll believe it when I see it. Dallara significantly changed the design of the IR12 from the renderings to final product after it was selected by the """ICONIC""" committee.

Dallara may not even be the manufacturers of the aero bits, but the silence is deafening.
Regardless this is exactly what they tested in the wind tunnels and simulations.
Dallara also wasn't originally planning to make the aero pieces in 2012, the aero kit plan was supposed to start then, not 2015.

twitter.com/FollowAndretti/status/867385299076337665

Satomania has spread like wildfire through local schools. The madness is unstoppable

kek

Raw video of another Indycar driver being robbed by juveniles

twitter.com/mikhailaleshin/status/867452624685203458

meeting an actual Russian hacker in real life is exciting these days

I wonder if he uses wallhacks in CSGO

friendly reminder some of the best and most successful Indycar drivers have been EXPOSED in F1 before

>sato
>successful

Takuma came over to Indycar and did miserable here too.
Not sure I follow.

Montoya didn't even start two races

I remember he almost won Indy 500 once and crashed towards the end.
those races would have given him a maximum of 20 points which if he had gotten those he would still have been a lot behind his teammate
and it's also noteworthy that Raikkonen had a DNF in one of the races Montoya missed

And some times Indycar drivers expose the so-called "GOAT" into spilling major spaghetti in his prime.

How did Montoya have so many retirements?
I didn't watch that season.

Also
The 500 is kind of a crapshoot as to who will come out on top unless there are minimal yellows.

you probably missed where I added "same car" to the left of the image
but yeah, Jacques "F1 is the pinnacle of racing" Villeneuve had a great season ;^)

if I recall correctly the merc engine was unreliable but fast and he probably crashed a few times

China and Hungary were his own fault because he hit things before and during the race respectively
in Japan he got crashed out by former Indy champ Villeneuve
others were reliability issues which the car that season was notorious for but it hit his teammate worse (got moved back ten places at the start at least three times because he had engine failures during free practise)

>it's an autistic German episode

well turns out that Takuma Sato was basically shit his entire career and got careed by Honda
unlike my boy Kamui, the true racing God of Nippon, who didn't need Toyota to have proper drives and actually beat good teammates

>kamui after 1 birru

i feel bad for the japs desu

>follow the leader>passing

*comes in 12th*

Quit spreading cancer.

That back wing is so stupid looking. I thought it was mounted wider from the first rendering they put out

And how the hell is that steel beam of a tail light going to fly saftey-wise? They need to make the back more compact.

The big difference between F1 and Indy is that in F1 they just drive the cars, while in Indy, they have to actually race.

That's not a hit on the F1 drivers, but they're just caught in a shit series that basically wastes any talent they may have by being car dependent, rather than driver skill dependent. Other series are much more reliant on driver skill, which is why F1 is shit tier when it comes to actual racing.

*bumps thread*

F1 can have great racing and it had so the last race e.g., but I will admit that F1 has a lack of parity when it comes to cars and that that is not a good thing (for racing or to compare drivers).

Nielsen says of U.S. viewers who watch either Indy 500 or Coke 600, only 18% watch both. And only 2% watch all three (Indy/Coke/Monaco).

What in the fuck is wrong with people?

What is Coke 600?

/TURNLEFT/

The most boring race of the year in NASCAR because Charlotte
And now, NASCAR done went full retard and fucked with the track by laying trackbite down on it

I am the 2% I guess, though I watch Monaco after the fact after indy

fuck yes. this is how an open wheel race car is supposed to look. modern F1 looks like over engineered trash

>F1 has a lack of parity when it comes to cars and that that is not a good thing (for racing or to compare drivers).

Agree 100%

The race is pretty much irrelevant compared to the qualification runs in F1, as the car starting in P1 or P2 is going to win more than 90% of the time, barring collisions or mechanical defects. So what's the point?

F1 should just stick with the manufacturing series mantra, eliminate the race day, and just stick with single car, single lap, all out runs for time, in an elimination format like downhill skiing, as the "races" are just a waste of time and boring as fuck to watch.

>being proud of the fact that the race outcomes in his series are random

They wouldn't be so random if Indycar opened the pits under caution and installed a speed limit under yellow.

It's not "random", it's based on who drives better during quali and the race, as opposed to driving the same superior car vs. outmatched cars every single "race".

I don't see how F1 "champions" can live with themselves, knowing that the only reason they won is because they didn't get stuck with the shit cars like 75% of the rest of the drivers.

this.

"World Driver Champion" my ass.

Where can a bong like myself watch the 500 without BT sports??

>conveniently using the 1997 season
Hey, I can do it too!

Not completely true though. Senna has one of the best pole averages and didn't win a third of those races in which he got pole

>inb4 that was 500 years ago!
Schumacher has a few more pole positions than senna and won twice as many races

>inb4 best car!
sometimes that happens, sometimes in f1 a car can be too good, which is what happened between 2001 and 2004 with Ferrari, or what happenened between 2014 and 2016 with Mercedes. Most of the times though, like this season, it isn't the case.

>It's not "random", it's based on who drives better during quali and the race, as opposed to driving the same superior car vs. outmatched cars every single "race".

Maybe, but you also have to consider driver skills. Every driver takes a turn differently, some can do it fast and nicely, some others can make mistakes and be slow. Now consider that in a F1 track that has 20 different curves and compare it to turnleft where you have 4 curves and all are exactly the same, drivers are less likely to make mistakes

casual watcher here...

wtf Alonso qualified 5th?

dear god if he wins the fucking thing that'll be some shit

talk about making waves in both indycar and f1. especially in indycar. how do you cope with an outsider waltzing in and winning your biggest event? that would surely sting. and in f1, it would be perfectly clear that he only smells like shit cause he drives in a car made of shit.

Alonso to drive '77 McLaren in retro pre-500 event

it wouldn't sting, shitposting would be a minor annoyance but it would be impressive tbqh

How would it sting? It would be far from the first time anything like that would happen and most Indycar fans seem to want him to do well, so I'm not really sure who would be "stung" other than autists who put too much stock into what flag they have on this forum.

>And how the hell is that steel beam of a tail light going to fly saftey-wise?

it is the same on the current car and there are no issues.

>Clark
>Hill
>Fittipaldi
>Mansell
happened many times befor m8

>Not completely true though.

Yea, it's completely true.

>Now consider that in a F1 track that has 20 different curves

Which means the disparity between cars is going to be magnified simply due to the fact that the car with more horsepower, torque, and better braking will be able to outclass every other car 20 times per lap.

>turnleft where you have 4 curves and all are exactly the same, drivers are less likely to make mistakes

That's not true at all, simply due to the fact that they're always taking those turns at max speed and at the limit of traction, while driving an aerodynamic brick....in traffic. Turnleft drivers use the draft to get their competitors loose during the curves in order to make a pass, sending them up the track. They can't do that in F1.

Turnleft can't exploit acceleration and braking advantages the way F1 can, due to the fact that the draft serves as somewhat of an equalizer. In oval racing 2, or more slower cars working together in the draft are faster than any faster car working alone, or caught outside the draft. The way the drivers use the draft to gain, and hold, positions, is what makes oval racing so fun to watch, as it's all about driver vs. driver as opposed to the driver vs. the track of F1.

Regardless, the best teams in Indy, and turnleft, can't dominate the field the way the top teams in F1 can, which makes for actual racing.

>that would surely sting

That would be bad ass, and would clearly demonstrate how shit F1 parity among teams is, since there the dude can't even get points.

I want to see another dude win the triple crown, so that means either JPM has to get off his fat ass and get on a Le Mans team, or Lonzo has to win and then do Lemans.

I was thinking in terms of the inner circle of indycar, the pride of the drivers and teams. maybe sting isn't the right word. what I do know is that if I were a driver or a pro in any other sport for that matter, I wouldn't view alonso the same as a fellow driver. by that i mean losing to other drivers always sucks, but losing to a driver from an outside series really fucking sucks.

Indycar pulled out all stops to get him here once it became an "idea" from the Mclaren side. If they didn't want him to be come they could have simply said "sorry, we only have a limited engine supply". If they didn't want him to be competitive they wouldn't have convinced Stefan Wilson to leave his Andretti seat with a Honda engine.

For the drivers, I have to assume they desire this challenge, to compete against one of the best in the world. Losing to a 2xWDC wouldn't hurt any worse than losing to a rookie or anyone else for that matter.

I can understand that. I'm definitely certain his participation is a great thing for Indycar. It definitely has people talking.

In a way I was reminded of how Brock Lesnar came to UFC straight from pro wrestling, won the belt and was wreckin dudes, making them look like jokes. I know its a completely different situation, but in a way it made the UFC look like it lacked talent depth, yet at the same time it was a massive shot in the arm for them.

What a great moment - Senna driving Emmo's CART Penske.

youtube.com/watch?v=SiYO2oTdRaA

>I don't see how F1 "champions" can live with themselves
Money and fame numbs a lot of pain.

I'm sure we will post a stream of the race on raceday for everyone to watch

youtube.com/watch?v=Ul6UcvNX4o8
>Indycar vs F1

I never really thought of Milhouse's dad as "F1" but it works.