Are they the greatest band of the 80's?

Are they the greatest band of the 80's?

No, but that album definitely is one of the best of the 80s

Oingo Boingo

that whole decade belongs to New Order, sorry

You mean The Cure?

do americans really do this?

I didn't have a roof I could sit on when I lived in Tennessee. I moved to Iowa when I was 15, and I could have sat on a roof if I wanted to, but I never did.

The best band of the eighties were Television and the Talking Heads

>they're american
wtf my whole life is a lie

The Replacements are the most Midwest band in existence.

Wtf did you think they were from?

If this album came out today this entire board would despise it just because of Androgynous

I was a little surprised that such a tumblr friendly song was on an album from the early 80's.

Anyone else find this album bittersweet as shit?

Yeah, if you live in a neighborhood with a house like this it's not strange.

The Replacements are to the midwest what Pink Floyd are to drugs.

Goes without saying

They are the patrician choice, yes.

Not really considering only 3 albums out of their entire discography are worth checking out.

Sorry Ma and Hootenanny are god-tier. Everyone knows this by now.

No, but they are. They invented both hardcore punk, noise pop, and college rock.

That albums a 10/10 desu senpai

That song is so emotional. Such great lyrics. Thus album walks the line between youth and maturity better than any other album.

Very influential, but they never made an album as good as Let It Be.

Yeah it's extremely melancholy and somehow quite nostalgic.

Nah, delete Gary Got an Erection

That's a great track

No. Every single track is essential to the pacing. The album goes by in a flash, partially because it's already super short, but it's also just the most perfect sequencing of any album ever.

well put.
westerberg was like a 50 year old man trapped in a 20-something's body, and tommy was literally 15 or something.

Delete Tommy Tonsils then. Tim is more consistent.

hopefully everyone ITT has heard "For Sale: Live at Maxwell’s 1986", right? if not, treat yourself.

I hadn't heard about that album until the day it came out. Haven't got around to listening to it yet, but looking forward to it.

>invented hardcore punk

no. black flag and the middle class.

Wow it's like you haven't even heard Zen Arcade

I have. It came out well after hardcore was in full swing.

Replacements and Husker Du both came from the same city at the same time and together they pretty much laid the blueprint for Alternative Rock. Huker Du coming from a much more Hardcore Punk direction and The Replacements a blusier Proto-Punk style and later a more Folky and traditional songwriting style. Maybe throw in R.E.M. too and that's the foundation for a lot of what became Alternative Rock.

Do you mean post-hardcore?

and minutemen

Are you baiting bro

dude is right, in no world did the Huskers "invent" hardcore. i would say the Germs but Black Flag is probably a more meaningful call. Black Flag certainly had the most influence in terms of creating hardcore as a sound and movement.
Just for anyone who doesn't realize it, Greg Ginn from Black Flag started SST > who signed the Minutemen > who later started New Alliance > who then signed Husker Du.
Recommend Steven Blush's "American Hardcore" as well as the first few chapters of Michael Azerrad's "This Band Could Be Your Life" (actually, recommend the whole book for this thread, since it has an excellent chapter on the 'Mats. haven't read "Trouble Boys").

>invented hardcore punk

Objectively false. They fuckin perfected it though and then moved on to bigger and better things shortly thereafter.

>Delete Tommy Tonsils
Keep your filthy hands away from my album you pleb

"Our Band Could Be Your Life" - got the title wrong

>Tim is more consistent.
>implying this is a good thing

It might be more stylistically consistent but quality wise it's not. Tim has Lay it Down Clown and Dose of Thunder which are both pretty mediocre. Also, the goofy lighthearted tracks like Tonsils and Gary's Got a Boner are staple of The Replacements.

Our Band Could Be Your Life is a great read. I only wish they would've swapped out Beat Happening for someone else though. Bad Brains? Meat Puppets? Slint? I dunno. I just don't like Beat Happening.

I think it's because Calvin was so important for the whole DIY movement, including, e.g. influence on riot girl and grunge. I don't like his voice much but I do like the ideas.

They sure grate on my nerves!

GOOFY LOOKING NIGGAS HAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean I certainly understand the importance of Beat Happening but every band in that book was influential and DIY and I guess Beat Happening just feels the most insignificant out of all of them. I mean
>Black Flag
>Minutemen
>Mission Of Burma
>Minor Threat
>Husker Du
>The Replacements
>Sonic Youth
>Butthole Surfers
>Big Black
>Dinosaur Jr.
>Fugazi
>Mudhoney
And
>...Beat Happening

I get where you're coming from. There are a lot of other bands that would have been great to cover in that book. IMO Beat Happening made sense all the same though. They're definitely not close to being my favorite in that list but I still found the chapter interesting.

Television originally broke up in 1979 and didn't consider having a reunion of any sort until the 90s.

Do your homework, and check your history.

You got dubs, but forgot to mention Stink!

You got dubs, but don't know much about history.

Husker Du didn't invent "Hardcore" but were on of the first hardcore bands to come out of the midwest.

Considering anything they did surpassed The Replacements by a thousand miles, they didn't have to worry about making an album like Let it be. They only made on stinker and that was Warehouse Songs and Stories, and even THAT has it's moments, while, on the other hand, I wouldn't listen to any Replacements after Hootenanny.

>Black Flag and Middle Class were putting out records since 1978

>Zen Arcade was released in 1984

Wow it's like you don't know jack shit about hardcore, or the history or origins thereof.

Pic related.
If it weren't for The Suicide Commandos, the world would not have bands like Husker Du or The Replacements, or even Soul Asylum, so if you've never heard of this band, or this album then you have no business posting in a thread about the Minneapolis music scene of the 1980s.

Fuck off, plebs! Get on MY level!

Everything you wrote is on point except Stink only has one good song. There's a reason it's "Stink: "Kids Don't Follow" Plus Seven"

You might've gotten dubs, but I respectfully disagree with you.

Stink is GOAT IMHO.

Stink isn't god-tier though. It's just a decent attempt at Hardcore by a band that was barely ever Hardcore to begin with. Westerberg was smart enough to know his talent was in songwriting and that if the 'mats stuck to the punk sound they would dry up in no time.

Sorry Ma is 18 songs of pure youth, attitude, and energy with a strong sense melody to boot. Hootenanny is a mixed bag with gem showing up about every 2 to 3 songs and plenty of fun and melodic stuff in between.

In short, you overrate Stink.

You underrate Stink