What music genres have you grown out of?

>play in touring metalcore band from 19-21 years old
>basically think that heavy music is fascinating, amazing and loved the energy/aesthetics of the music
>get really busy with college after I quit band
>not much time to listen to metal
>take an interest in classical/jazz in my spare time
>finally graduate around 25
>wow I should get caught up with some of the new metal albums that have come out in the last couple years
>look up new albums and albums I used to listen to religiously
>completely cringe and can't believe I ever enjoyed this shit
>they look like retarded screeching faggots with completely moronic lyrics
>embarrassed that there are people who only remember me as a "guy who played in a metal band"
>shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L1n5IWbHqu8
youtube.com/channel/UC7eKF0lPY8LNwfczq9UFlxg/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=iURRgMee7Ro
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What music genres have you grown out of?
death grips

Any music with lyrics that are really angry or whiny except if its clever or funny

Same.

I liked the novelty and energy of Death Grips when it first came out, but it just seems like try-hard bullshit when I re-visit it.

Same with Tyler The Creator. I liked Goblin and his first album a lot, but I hate that entire genre of music now. Frank Ocean, Tyler, anybody involved with Odd Future or any of that..like..quirky rap shit.

wow i relate to you

I grew out of metalcore too but that was when I was like 14. Only one I still listen to is ETID.

Yeah some of my friends grew out of metal/metalcore/hardcore when we were like 18, and I couldn't understand it.

I thought the instrumentals and aesthetics were so cool. The heaviness and energy of the music was totally unmatched. I thought live shows were unmatched by any other genre (which is kinda true).

Now that I am older I am slightly embarrassed that I didn't grow out of it sooner. I still like some of ETID's older albums too though. Their new one was complete shit.

wtf i love miley cyrus now

well u didnt grow out of it because you were playing it and reaping the benefits. if you're only 25 im surprised that shit was still popular when you were 21. unless youre like 30 now.

i'd "fuck" her "pussy" if you know what i mean

i don't

They’ve never been good, you just fell for a stupid meme. 90% of their fanbase use anime avatars which is quite telling.

t. Pleb

I feel like Death Grips' thing is doing whatever they want whenever they want to, and that they aren't against egging on their fans who want to constantly collect information for integrate for their canon. Then again what I'm saying is only my own speculation, and I do like Death Grips for what they are regardless but I've only really semi-listened to them since TPTB

t. anime avatar twitter user

its OK.

no one has taste when theyre young, unless ylour dad is julian schnabel.

congrats on touring. most never even get there.

congrats on growing.

most nevr get there.

peace bro.

>metalcore
>heavy music
Sup Forums-male detected

god I want to lick her stomach

uhh I grew out of nightcore and other electronic music in that vein

I listened to tons of edgy Grindcore/Goregrind and Death Metal back in my teens. Came to the same conclusion like you when it comes to vocals but realized how much I still enjoy the music without them, luckily there are many purely instrumental metal bands nowadays.

such as?

ps godflesh is dope as fuck

Not my native language, but doesn't "growing out of" imply that it's targeted at a younger audience? How is this the case with music?
Oh, and I stop caring for most metal/death/hardcore bands a few years back and started to have more interest in stuff like calmer music, though I still have a couple bands I like today, like Architects, All Shall Perish or Emmure.

You've matured past it mentally.

But it isn't really about maturity. No music genre has an age restriction. Your taste in music just chances, especially from childhood to adolescence. Did I mature because I stopped listening to deathcore? Or to pop? No, I just have a different taste now.

you mature emotionally as you age and so your taste matures with you. like how you stop listening to anarcho punk all the time when youre 30 and work in a cubicle as opposed to when youre driving around drinking 40s at 18

Say what you will about Miley but that body is tight.

Miley and Nicki Minaj are my top-40 degeneratefus

>But it isn't really about maturity
>did I mature because I stopped listening to one genre and listened to something else

Yeah probably.

Metal will never not sound/look cringey to me. It cannot be reversed, I mean, unless some really incredible band totally re-invents the genre and does something crazy with it.

So I never really matured because I only abandoned a couple of bands from puberty? My focus shifted more to post rock and stuff like Massive Attack, but I still listen to a lot of metal bands and I am still going to a couple of "big" metal/deathcore shows because the energy at those shows is just amazing.
I don't think matured is the right word here.

I can see that point about cringey. For the most part, I don't care for lyrics in metal music, because most of it is just shit, especially in death and black metal.
But I can't not get pumped up when I listen to some of the more aggressive stuff, just motivates me sometimes.

Sometimes a new worldview will change your taste in music.

Craving something deeper, more complex, or "meaningful" in some way can drive somebody to look for new music and abandon old music. This can be "maturing" out of music, I guess.

yeah but we're talking about deathcore and metalcore which are cringy as fuck

Animals As Leaders
Intervals (older albums have vocals)
Pelican
Cloudkicker
Scale The Summit
Triumphs

I might post more later but those are the ones I listen to regularly.

thx

black metal
I listen to dark ambient occasionally but black metal stayed in my late teens

That sounds plausible.
Yes, but some of it is decent. I don't listen to it anymore apart for maybe 10 bands. The word "cringe" also makes me cringe more than some shitty angsty emo metalcore band.

Yeah I'm not totally bashing metal or anything, it is obviously an important and unique genre in different ways.

I am just saying that my love for it turned to cringe because of whatever happened in my life and how my music taste has changed.

I still think tech-riffs with blast beats are kind of cool for a few minutes, but I can't take it really seriously like I do classical/jazz. I would never play in a metal band at this point or something.

>Animals As Leaders
>Intervals (older albums have vocals)
>Pelican
>Cloudkicker
Holy fuck you're a faggot

>Scale the Summit
Nice

Animals As Leaders could be a band for you, purely instrumental prog metal with obvious jazz influences.

tfw my wife's son is 11 and i'm hoping he gets into metal soon so he can grow out of it soon

What's with all the memes and hatred towards metal anyway? It's just another music genre.

There's a chart I remember seeing on here a couple years ago that laid out the phases that people go through to reach patriciandom, and, as memey as it may have been, I ended up following it to the 9s.

Up until I was 17, I listened to awful metalcore like you described. I heard Enter Shikari and Devil Wears Prada wayyyy more than I'd like to admit. Immediately afterwards, I transitioned to regurgitated indie pop, and effectively became a p4k drone, spurred on by "muh critique". Directly afterwards, I started listening to Jazz, becoming one of those dipshits who can't keep his mouth shut about how good Black Saint and the Sinner Lady was, becoming Scaruffi's boi toy. Now I guess I'm just another avant-teen, still stuck here, subsisting on charts and YouTube recommendations. At every point in my life, I had essentially been exchanging one form of hollow fandom for the next, desperately trying to achieve the patrician status that we all value so much. I can't speak for anyone else, but given the fact that the currents and patterns I've been trapped in for years now have been detailed in a half-assed shitpost I read a long time ago, it's not uncommon.

SO, don't beat yourself up over what you used to like. It was a stepping stone to bring you where you are today, and most people will never understand how deep things go. As long as you look ahead, and keep challenging yourself, you'll make it out of here eventually.

Metal is such a special genre.

Many classical/jazz players have once been metal players, and listened to metal.

Many Sup Forums fans have either fell in love with it, broken up with it, or are still in love with it.

Most guitarists have a long-going relationship with metal just because it is such a guitar-centered genre. You either grew up playing metal on guitar or currently play metal on guitar.

For me, my relationship with metal is love/hate. I love what we used to have, but I hate what it is now because I know what it could be.

There is no modern-day equivalent to this album. The band themselves were not even able to re-create it on any level.

In my opinion, it is peak metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=L1n5IWbHqu8

I'm about to be a session musician for an experimental jazz/extended technique vocal/noise record. I still like metal. Fight me. It's fun music. sometimes it's fun to sound like an elder god and it's a step away from throat singing (which I also love.)

I hope no one actually tries to impress people on here or anywhere really with their superior musical taste or achieve a higher status. That would be pretty sad. It's music, just listen to what ever you want to listen to.
I know this is a cop out answer, but music is subjective, why try to fit in with a group of people? Discussing music with humans that have a vastly different taste is much more interesting than circlejerking Grimes or Kendrick for the 500th time.

> Trying to become Patrician

dude you are a fucking loser. Just listen to music, you dildo.

>The Human Abstract

m8 you're just being nostalgic, there is nothing special about this band, they just did what was hip at the time and did it well.
Also, their video is crab-metal level cringe.
Not trying to piss on your taste, we all listen to goofy stuff we're nostalgic about.

Would liked it better without the screams, but it's still good. I'll listen to the album and see if it's better as a whole experience, but it isn't really the peak for me.

I love Jesu but never checked out Godflesh, how would a Jesu fan into them?

Grew out of punk when I realised nearly all of it is hypocritical garbage. The punk I like is Rites of Spring, Embrace and Indian Summer

It's more about wanting to see the bigger picture. I wanted to expand the border of what I thought music could be, and see what the limit was. Besides, it's not like listening to Pulse Demon on repeat is going to make me any less of an autist

o-okay

Now that I think of it, the fact it's such a guitar driven genre explains why it didn't really latch on to me - I was immediately drawn to the bass out of love for the instrument. I can appreciate a great metal band like Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden but most metal bands just never cut it for me due to low end simplicity, so I leaned into post-hardcore more when it came to more intense music.

I suppose we never truly grow out of our tastes, we just refine them. The things that attract me in jazz nowadays likely come from the same things that led me towards prog rock, for example, during my early teens, but now I suppose they're more fine-tuned.

And I reckon that if OP so desired he could easily start a metal bamd wuth jazz influences or whatever.

Here's a little goldmine for you if you're into more bass driven blues/jazz influenced metal:

youtube.com/channel/UC7eKF0lPY8LNwfczq9UFlxg/videos

Doom/Stoner metal is what I listen to mostly nowadays, Metal has always been about the groove and rhythm for me.

cuck
get your own son

>unironically responding to classic bait memes

I've grown out of mainly angst to music. Though I see find myself still listening to certain artists. But mainly to emo, pop punk, alternative and hip hop.

>unironically still posting classic bait memes

>Emo
It better be real emo

I have grown out of and back into metal, rap, electronic, and even pop music several times in my life. Although, I don't listen to genres, so most of that is losing interest in a certain band/act/performer and then having that interest reignited later. The only thing I've truly left behind is angry, aggressive music that is angry and aggressive for the sake of itself, and only because I'm just tired of being angry or acting aggressive all the damn time.

It's a colloquialism. It's not meant to be directly translated or taken literally, and the meaning is purely symbolic.

>this is peak metal
From that time frame, it's gotta be DevilDriver for me. Literally pick a song between Fury of Our Maker's Hands and Beast, it's probably one of the best metal songs you've heard unless you're some kind of tryhard genre elitist.

Sex?

What did he mean by this

Well, I'm alt-right, so I probably will never grow out of black metal. It is the white man's genre.

Its by and for insecure autists. Hurr durr its totes epically cool to kill someone :P

I grew out of metal when I was 16. i'm 24 now but I will still stand by the to the fact that Lamb Of God are a great fucking band and are still the best live band I've ever seen

>god I want to lick her stomach
only good post itt

I don't really know what metalcore is but I grew out of Iron Maiden when I was a kid after taking them extremely seriously.
Now love them for how funny they are which had completely passed me by at the time.

Those galloping drums on The Trooper, genius.

God she's fucking TIGHT

lol so you moved to mainstream?

Majority of Hip-Hop and

>if catch the evil twin, then why would you keep it alive?

pop punk, metal, vaporwave, and most hip hop,

Grew out of hip-hop and most of electronic music, grew into metal, martial industrial and classical music

and EDM and a good chunk of electronic music

And by "martial industrial" I mean Arditi

I grew into taking myself less seriously so I can enjoy every music genre without feeling ashamed

t. an effeminate fucking soyboy

i wish i liked her face. her tummy and waste pretty nice. also she essentially went too far whoring herself out. i mean a little is fine , but she took it to a new level

Music with words

i've never really found her attractive but this pic might change my opinion

patrician taste senpai

listen to pure, then streetcleaner, then self titled

That's a really nice belly. Nice curves and shit.

It pains me to see middle-aged people dedicated to a single genre
Imagine being older than 20 and still refusing to listen to anything other than dad metal or rockabilly

The patrician position

unless it's nursery rhymes you shouldn't grow out of genres, what you mean is that you listened to the genre allot but have gotten bored with it.

this

the cliche
>I waz in 2 metl when i was yunga Xd
>But now i'z more sophisticated and in 2 Jazz bcz i smarter now XD

These guys were proof you should never write off a genre or music you enjoy because, you're supposedly more sophisticated when liking Jazz or Classical Music.

youtube.com/watch?v=iURRgMee7Ro

I never really grew out of anything i love finding new shit but i treat genres like trading cards i just want to love it all

Hip-hop tbqh.

Heavy metal in general except for a few things, used to be a fucking 'metalhead' as a kid
Most of hip hop post 90s
And stuff like Neutral Milk Hotel I guess?

how dare you abandon NMH

perfect

I grew out of death grips

some of their more subdued stuff is cool but I can't go for that intentionally harsh shit anymore

>That's a bad thing
neck yourself t b h f a m

but you cant enjoy every genre its not even possible timewise

You can appreciate every genre.

without listen to it?