Is he correct to rate music based on innovation?

Discuss.

No because he thinks anyone who was first to do something was the best version of it

Good point, but they were the innovator.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The person worthy of praise is the one who takes an innovation and makes something not garbage out of it. Eno didn't invent tape loops but the minimalist music fags of the 60's who did only made ass with it, so he's the one who gets the praise.

Lol at going to art school.

This. Also he underrates Radiohead so he
has to be deaf

>underrates Radiohead
he severely overrated them

As annoying as Scaruffi is, it's a lot more interesting to read about innovative and historically significant albums than just "hurr I like this music because I can dance to it 10/10".

>its another scaruffi thread where people complain about him not liking their favourite bands

>OKC not even 9/10
>severely overrated

>Is he correct to rate music based on innovation?
But he doesn't. In an interview he said that emotion is the only thing that matters in music and he rates it based on that.

is scaruffi white?

Retard. OK Computer is a mildly experimental pop album.

He gave TMR a 9.5 do we need to take him seriously?

who cares?

He's an Italian professor

TMR IS SHORT FOR WHAT EXACTLY?

He doesn’t rate primarily on innovation.
TMR is really nice. He does have a couple head scratchers, though.

so is he white?

>italian
no

>list some head scratchers

Trout Mask Replica

>idolizing a retired italian plumber

I know people whose minds were thoroughly blown by TMR to the point that still to this day it is regarded with such a fondness and nostalgia that any recounting of the experience I would endeavor upon would not do the description of the happenstance justice.

>white skin
>blue eyes

looks white to me

Uncle Meat, Slow Deep and Hard, VU&N ahead of White Light / White Heat, Safe As Milk + Well Oiled are 8.0s, Pink Moon is a 9.0.

People who think TMR is a deep headscratcher are the same people who think Dadaism is real art. Just my honest opinion

you went to art school and became a fake scenester? it ruins everyone kid.

Satie sucks right?

>VU&N ahead of White Light / White Heat
WL / WH is utter garbage though. Dad rock with some noise is still dad rock.

Lol what, you like TMR or dadaism? But no, I didn't go to art school. The concept is pretty basic

I don’t think so, The Gift and Sister Ray alone (25 minutes) are insanely good.

TMR IS ONE OF THE MOST ORIGINAL RECORDS EVER RELEASED IN AMERICAN ROCK HISTORY.

ERIK SATIE.

They are the only ones listenable, I'll give you that, but they are too redundant to be "insanely good".

Original? Yes. Good? Ehhhhh

>But no, I didn't go to art school.
yeah, we know

Hi newfag

Lol first art school has ruined me then I'm a pleb that doesn't understand art. Why is this board so confused that people don't like TMR?

>tfw iq not high enough

Hi internet dork using buzzwords

So is the consensus answer "Yes"?

But he blatantly ignored how The Beatles were innovative for rock music solely because he got tiffed they were so wildly popular. He is not a good historian and lets his insipid biases blind him from reality. He's not a particularly good critic, either.

It's actually pretty good,it's probably the most important album for punk and every indie hipster Sup Forums garbage people listen to is mostly based on genres derived from punk

stop trolling

are you five?

Serious question: What constitutes being "white" to you?

He's Italian, so no. It's generally accepted that Italians are blacker than most black people.

okc is extremely mediocre

>sister ray
>redundant
>missing the point this hard

yes, because every good album will introduce something fresh or unique

Music should be judged by its quality. The only reason he rates music by innovation is because he's trying to be objective with his reviews, but that's absolutely fucking retarded since innovation can't be measured. So no.
On this note, I always thought it was fucking retarded how he always overrates a band's debut album.

people who use innovation as their main metric of quality are retarded. refining previously unrefined innovations is where music shines the brightest

>Well Oiled is an 8
>Pink Moon is a 9
You got those backwards handsome boy

but Dadaism is real art

dada
not dadaism
by calling it an ism you negate the purpose of dada
love to say dada

my bad

>art

yes, art

>only made ass with it
Bad taste

Yes. It is the closest one can come to be truly object in their analyses.

Radiohead were not innovators, sorry. It's okay to have a favorite band and all, but it's foolish to lie to yourself about them.

Muse's discography overall is way worse, butOOS is better than any Radiohead album.

Swear.

It's like people read his Beatles copypasta and totally ignore the excellent music he has posted on his charts and his rather interesting articles on science and politics.

OKC is one of my favorite albums but objectively it's like maybe a 7.5/10 at best. Amnesiac and Kid A were objective better, each at about on 8/10 or 8.5/10.

TMR makes sense. I would really like to know what the fuck he was thinking giving Volunteers an 8.5 and calling their "supreme masterpiece" though.

It's these.

While I understand and appreciate the value put to innovation, one should not entirely disregard presentation. Craft is important, and carefully designed pieces and aesthetics don't equate to the work not being genuine or honest. It's a way quite a few critics thought, not just Scaruffi, and it's foolish. I understand the value of innovation and raw, genuine emotion and art, but the constant derision of carefully conceived sounds and images is really foolish. It's like criticizing a piece of theater for being too precisely directed, being perfectly choreographed and lit and worked on over months, rather than just doing what was immediate, quick, and got the point across. There's a role for both sorts of art and neither should be tossed out.

Korn.