How on earth was Whiplash so good given that it was about nothing of any consequence at all?

How on earth was Whiplash so good given that it was about nothing of any consequence at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4KKuEw3mHGc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Brassau
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

JK Simmons is always good

Are you a woman?

It's not good.
It's mediocre.
The only thing people remember about it is JK Simmons' performance (and the final act). Remove him from the film and you have a pretty floppy film.

This.

I actually thought Miles Teller did a good job considering he's trash in everything else.

The script, cinematography and acting were all top class, the problem was the subject.
Why the fuck would I care about some guy who wants to spend his life banging sticks against a membrane? The piano or guitar I'd understand, but the drums are such a pleb tier instrument.

The subject wasn't important though. At least, not the instrument. It was about being the best at something. It could have been any instrument, but drums do a good job of showing the physical requirements of it (you're not going to get sweaty and bloody on a saxophone).

Zach here
fuck you man

It was an orange mess about the least charismatic person ever being a terrible musician and a worse human being.

>art has to be about something of consequence
>art has to be about something I can personally engage with
Fucking off yourself if you ever think this and don't immediately chide yourself for allowing such a dim, self-centered thought into your head
The remainder of you can enjoy the fact that you will never be this pleb

Clearly you have never played the sax. But like you said it was a cheap way to get plebs to understand the dedication on screen because of how "physical" drums appear.

Great movie, one of my personal faves

what are you talking about

it was about nothing of consequence, what does that even mean? what did you think the film was about?

I bet you're the kind of person that enjoys modern "art".

>The script, cinematography and acting were all top class
I don't know if this is a meme post, but if you genuinely believe that then i'm afraid to tell you, you don't know the first thing about writing for the screen, cinematography, or acting.
The latter part of your post suggest this it is indeed a memepost, but I can't even tell anymore.

It was about sacrifice and perseverance.

Do movies have to be about something "important"?

>you don't know the first thing about writing for the screen, cinematography, or acting.
And according to you, neither do the people that nominate movies for Oscars.

Ending is literally the best scene in cinema in at least 10 years. It's sex on screen.

What it was about means nothing when the execution was done so poorly. >hurr this is my girlfriend I have to give her up because lol I want to become the very best, like no one ever was!!!
>hurr my family doesn't like me lol, must be because I am the very best
>this is supposed to be build conflict and tension am i right??

Whiplash has one of the worst scripts ever written. It's as if the screenwriter just picked up one of those paint-by-numbers screen writing books.

What did she mean by this?

Why is wearing girl socks?

>Whiplash has one of the worst scripts ever written
How do you people manage to believe this kind of bullshit? Must be a baiter, too unexperienced.

that's such a retarded argument
it's like saying "Remove Iron Man from the Iron Man II and you have one boring movie." He's the main fucking character. Why would you try and evaluate Whiplash without the main fucking character?

"The simpsons would be shit without Homer."
"Birdman would be shit if it weren't for Michael Keaton."
Like, no shit retard. Fuck off with your phony non criticism.

Why is he*

Why didn't miles teller play Zuckerberg? He looks much closer than Eisenberg.

Are you some sort of faggot?
Thats a master piece in response of the abstract expresionist tendencies you dumb fuck
All modern art is a response to past movements you bitch ass retard

Is this behavior common on a first date or was she just a huge whore?

why because she slightly touched his shoe? wtf

That's literally jazz.

>Thats a master piece in response of the abstract expresionist tendencies you dumb fuck
I knew it. Jesus do you hear yourself talk? Those pile of bricks are nothing but a pile of fucking bricks.
You're not worth the air you breath, please do humanity a favor and off yourself.

Yes.

Wanton behavior.

Imagine if they had made the movie with genders reversed?

I would've been something.

youtube.com/watch?v=4KKuEw3mHGc

The film had an ending that was both in line with everything that happened before, while still surprising and invigorating the audience. I haven't seen the protagonist and antagonist's stories come together that well in a long time.

Films often make things too big, but this was just two humans with opposing viewpoints battling it out.

contemporary art is built on a long standing dialogue of what constitutes art.

usually it addresses themes of "what is art" but also gender, politics etc.

Good contemporary art isn't lauded for no reason, people like Hans-Ulrich Obrist don't just throw darts at the wall when they say something is good.

but to be fair 99% perfect of contemporary art made by trust-fund early 20 year olds is utter trash made by trendy retards with no understanding of the history of art or any kind of philosophy and can me immediately thrown into the trash

the editing is still pretty good then

>Good contemporary art isn't lauded for no reason
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Brassau

Is there really people who are so plebian to think wiplash isnt a kino movie? Or is this some kind of bait?

I mean you really have to be retarded to not apreciatte this 100% kino material.

You called a pile of bricks a masterpiece of art.

It's not cheap, film is a VISUAL MEDIUM. It's important to be able to see what is going on in some way.

Because film is about film. Not arbitrary plot details.

You fucking plebeian moron.

Every film's plot is "a character or characters has to achieve a goal or goals"

The fact you think some EPIC SCI-FI garbage is "of consequence" means you're fucking stupid.

Totally normal if you both are attracted to each other.

I have had 2 dates, first sex in second date, second sex the first date, so completely normal scene if you ask me.

>Nothing of any consequence

He nearly fucking died, dude

Because he's a pussy who has no idea of style or anything outside of music.

"Girl socks" are perfect in summer if you know fow to dress though and have been in style for a while.

C U T E
U
T
E

>nothing of any consequence
You've clearly never had youthful aspirations to become great like the kid in the movie. It's Oscarbait through and through but damn did it make me yearn for when I was young again.

Birdman was superior in every aspect
>but but it's popular therefore I'm cool for disliking it ! look rebbit im contrarian
>but but the director was showing off ! but but it's not 'subtle' , again am I contrarian enough?
>birdman is shit and ur le cuck for liking it !
>but but but !ur pleb ! ur pleb and im patrician for disliking it !

You can argue all day if it is or isnt a Masterpiece.

What you cant argue is that it is literally a pile of bricks.

>Kazimir Malevich
This is the same guy that painted the black square, which was, quite literally, a framed black square. And yes, I know about the political statement he seems to think he was making.
But the fact is, people like Malevich use big words and speak of abstract concepts but in reality, they're empty shells, void of talent and creativity, with nothing of any worth to say or do.

Yes, I agree it was better, with both being excellent. Chill out, friendo

>that massive wall of disclaimers
jesus fuck man just say you like it and be done with it

DRUM IS A SERIOUS INSTRUMENT YOU PLEB
FUCKING PLEB
REEEEEEEE

Even though you tried to indicate the contrary, you're just another one of those >le i hate modern art Sup Forumslite types who refuses to engage with a work. Art is very much context, so for example in the referred case, a framed black square isn't just a framed black square.

kek playing drums is literally the the equivalent of taking it up the ass but only small dicks, just play clarinet you fflaming homo

acceptable musical things:
>singing
>guitar

technically bass is acceptable but everyone still knows that you're shit and probably gay

Why is it always the right-wing conservative idiots who hate art? Is it something with their brains?

Birdman was 2 hours of AGI crying that not everyone thinks he's literally the greatest director of all time.

>I HATE YOU CRITICS, YOU'RE ALL SCUM REEE

>I HATE YOU HOLLYWOOD, BOO HOO YOU MAKE BIG BUDGET MOVIES INSTEAD OF JUST FUNDING MY ART HOUSE KINO

>I HATE YOU THE INTERNET TWITTER WAS MEAN TO ME ONCE

He has the thinnest skin I've seen on a director since Tarantino

You don't know shit about music

Modern art is femenine and homo.

Real art is about make someone think and make them feel something. What should i feel about a black pice of canvas or a pile of bricks??.

>taking it up the ass
>only small dicks
>you fflaming homo
>you're shit and probably gay

wew

Come back when you turn 12yo.

Also if you dont think drums are an alpha as fuck instrument you are probably homo.

because of him

>Art is very much context
A steaming pile of shit will always remain a steaming pile of shit, even if it was left by Einstein or something.
Context, while important, does not make art. This is the point that you seem to have trouble understanding.
Fundamentally, a work of art has two aspects.
1. Meaning. What is the artist trying to say? What emotion does he mean to convey? This may be as simple as the artist wanting to depict something he finds particularly beautiful.

2. Skill. How has the artist portrayed what he wanted to say? How unique is the amount of skill required to do so?

I believe both of these aspects must be present in a work of art.

>"Birdman would be shit if it weren't for Michael Keaton."
Birdman was shit regardless :)

>quite my tempo

Funny, you seem to not be a mouthbreather and actually do understand the layers of some given thing and what context is, so really it's just a refusal in accepting the whole heterodoxical aspects of modern art and their possible values.

You are a classical thinker. Art these days is about novelty and the abillity to sell it to the wealthy people willing to buy it. If you have both, you are welcome, you have made a Masterpiece, it wouldnt matter if it is literally a pile of bricks.

Best grill

>ywn shoot cum into her mouth

didn't this bitch's nudes leak?

But it's the only grill...

pls post them

You had dates with 2 whores.

töpöröp hörpitöp?

Just google them you inept fuck.

The best movie of 10s so far
Prove me wrong

Violin is the most alpha instrument.
Everyone knows this

Watch more films

Name me

No it wasn't. ;^)

If you dont fuck the girl on the second date then:

1. Girl is playing with you, and will only fuck you because other things instead of she want to fuck you.

2. You are a betha cuck faggot who has no balls and she doesnt see you as a human beings with a dick between his legs.

3. She is a frigid cunt or a virgin or have some kind of problem with expressing her sexuallity, either way, it will be shitty sex anyway.

Jack?

Do you have loads of piercings and tattoos?

Really weird question m8

>You are a betha cuck faggot
This is already a given considering you're taking girls out on dates, rest of your post was redundant.

NORMIES OUT

I thought it was quite apparent that the main character was supposed to be viewed as pathetic, intentionally so.

I dunno, you just sound like a super degenerate so I thought I'd ask to see if you fit the general description.

>Being this deeply into the closet

Dude just accept it already.

nah nigga we stayin

u get out, just like ur not welcome in the real world

We put man on the moon and that was for nothing.
Yet it was humanity's greatest achievement.

I got mixed messages from this film
On one hand it says that it's good to push yourself to your absolute limits and that everyone today is too soft, but then it shows how someone killed themselves because they were pushed too far

The film doesn't necessarily have an agenda.

Pretty racist film desu.

I thought the stuff with the family was well done, but I did think the girlfriend was so underdeveloped that it shouldn't have even been included and is probably the biggest mark against it. .

>Being this much of a contrarian pleb

You can dislike it all you want. Hell I fucking hat the hipster Broadway crowd, but Birdman was genius.