Okay Sup Forums; Top 5 best comedians, and your pick for most overrated...

Okay Sup Forums; Top 5 best comedians, and your pick for most overrated. This isn't a 'who has the best stand up' thread. It's the best comedians and the most overrated.

Discuss

1.) Norm MacDonald
2.) Louis C.K.
3.) Brian Reagan
4.) Seinfeld
5.) Bill Burr
Honorable mention to Patrice O'Neal

Most overrated: George Carlin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L7K-kaelQEs
youtube.com/watch?v=j7YDCXS5gc4
youtu.be/Qn16DsftSjI
youtube.com/watch?v=BsCBsmChbEM
youtu.be/eybFXuP50jo?t=1m18s
thetoptens.com/worst-stand-up-comedians/
youtube.com/watch?v=Fwg35NOtn0I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, general comedy thread.

How do you feel about Netflix coming out with a new stand up special every fucking day?

Norm McDonald is not # 1

carlin was from a different era. it's unfair to judge him against people from recent years. comedy wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for his influence. his influence is dripping from nearly everyone on your list.

The guy has always been leagues beyond everyone in his time. He's on a different level altogether.

1)Jeff Dunham
2)Jeff Foxworthy
3)Dane Cook
4)Gabriel Iglesias
5)Kevin Hart

-100)Sam Hyde

Daily reminder that Norm's getting a Netflix show and it's already filming

1. Mitch Hedberg
2. Amazing Johnathan
3. Gabriel Iglesias
4. Norm MacDonald
5. Patton Oswalt

Most overrated: Jimmy Fallon
Second most overrated: Jim Jefferies

Carlin was noble, and he was very funny. He used comedy nobly - to identify stupid shit that we accept without hesitation. But it wasn't comedy for the sake of comedy.

Do you follow 'I'm not norm' on youtube?

be gone troll

1) Richard Pryor
2) Bill Hicks
3) Doug Stanhope
4) Dave Chappelle
5) Kevin Hart

Overrated - Louis CK/Joe Rogan

In his later years sure, but his earlier stuff was entirely comedy for the sake of comedy

Amy Shumer #1
Dane Cook # 2
Carlos Mencia #3
Jerry Seinfeld #4
Alex Jones#5

bumping with more from the goat

youtube.com/watch?v=L7K-kaelQEs

I've mainly watched 80's and beyond from him. Do you have any recommendations?

1. Andy Kaufman
2-9. No one comes close to Kaufman.
10. Doug Stanhope
11. Sarah Silverman before she got political
12. Jim Gaffigan
13. Greg Gutfeld
14. John Mulaney

inb4: who?what?
fuck you and your shallow sense of humor.

Brian, Norm, and maybe Seinfeld aren't comedians, they're comics. A comedian jokes about whatever like Louis C.K and Bill Burr and maybe Seinfeld. That doesn't make sense but trust me.

Anyway I'll get off my high horse and make my list:

1.)Norm Macdonald
2.) Rodney Dangerfield
3.) Richard Pryor
4.)Chevy Chase
5.)Don Rickles (1-4 in no particular order)

Overrated: Larry David

I meant to mention that Pryor was hugely overrated as well. But this is an otherwise OK list IMO, aside from louis being overrated. He is unparalleled.

Saw him in Texas, the motherfucker was so fucking drunk, he could barely stand up and i was super dissapointed. Yeah the dude is funny but that night he sucked

Yessir but I knew before I'm Not Norm made the video about it. I was lurking in Norm's AMA on the 29th and that's when he spilled the beans

dave chappelle

I love this interview. Everything from his timing to his faces is perfect. That's modern medicine for you

Kaufman was way ahead of his time. I still don't think he's dead. Well I do, but not really.

John Mulaney yeah right. The most overrated guy ever

OP here, trust u, and I meant to mention Rickles! I was so sad when he passed. Jimmy Kimmel gave him a nice tribute. I still bust a gut to the dean martin roasts. fuck

I forgot about Andy Kaufman. Norm #1, Andy #2

>761126309
Tim & Eric. Fuck you if you don't get it.

Agreed, Tim & Eric are pretty overrated.... Dunno about most overrated, but they rank pretty high up there...

#1 Bo Burnham

I beg to differ. Pryor's comedy specials are some of the greatest things ever filmed. Coolest guy

I put him on the list because of his delivery, mainly.

He doesn't drink, it was probably Xanax, he does a lot of xanax

Kaufman was so misunderstood and beyond the reach of anyone from that era. He invented anti-comedy, IMO.

Class Clown is pretty good, I think there's like 6 albums from the 70's you can find pretty easily on youtube
youtube.com/watch?v=j7YDCXS5gc4

youtu.be/Qn16DsftSjI

Kaufman would be an honorable mention for me. He was clever, but I was born too late to appreciate it at the time I guess. Busted a gut to him wrestling a woman.

How do you feel about Man on the Moon?

Agreed

Good thread btw, forgot to congratulate you

will listen to it this week user

Yeah, he stopped being a comedian for the sake of comedy

He resembled a 'cool lecturer' for the last half of his career

It's more like

1. Norm Macdonal
8. whoever else i dunno

youtube.com/watch?v=BsCBsmChbEM

We needed it

Man on the Moon was great/bad. The documentary on it is entertaining as well.

Jim Carrey did a bad job portraying Andy but then again he was the only one good enough to play Andy. There's interviews with people who worked with Andy or knew him that came out after man on the moon and they criticized Jim's performance. He had bug eyes for too long

This guy is the best comedian.
I really have been impressed with the consistency of Adam Carolla since he does a few hours every day and it's always new content. He might not be the funniest but he's pretty solid.

Norm has never failed me.
Although he could never keep a show because he just doesn't give a fuck.

Most over-rated is Whoopie Goldberg by far.

Thanks user

Best
1.Patrice Oneal
2-9001: who cares

who the fuck says whoopie goldberg is anywhere near top 10?

Read this book. I've only read TLOTR books, Harry Potter books, half of GoT books, and this and this is by far my favorite.

When people ban Huckleberry Finn from schools because it has the work nigger in it, this should replace it

>John Mulaney
My fucking nigga

I've seen this before and he gets me every time.
I love how he's one of the few guests on late night shows that actually sticks around after the interview with the sole purpose of derailing the next guest's interview. Reminds me of Tonight Show with Johnny Carson era stuff.

I love listening to his appearances on the old O&A show back in the day. Still hilarious in 2018

My dad has a picture with Patrice O'Neal and Bob Saget

1. Patrice O'neal
2. Bill Burr
3. George Carlin
4. Colin Quinn
5. Dave Chapelle

Honorable mentions: Joey Diaz, Jim Jefferies, Louis C.K, Nick Dipaolo

Overrated: Amy Schumer

Tig notaro
Sarah silverman
Amy shumer
Carlos Mencia
Dane Cook
Ellen De generres
Rosanne Barr

It's just his podcast that theyre moving to netflix right?

I get it but it's just annoying.

Most of Conan's guest stick around for the whole show, that, among other things, is what makes his talk show different and better. But you're right he does it because he knows Conan hates the boring ass guests he gets so Norm does him a favor and entertains him some more. There was video of Norm on Conan before they started shooting talking to the crowd and trying out some stand up but it's been taken down by Team Coco

Basically just his podcast but I think they're going to make it more like a talk show than his podcast already is because that's been Norm's dream ever since he was a kid. So it'll still be him behind a desk with a couch next to it with a celebrity doing Norm a favor and his trusty sidekick Adam Egret

I've got it!

Hard to rank them, but Norm MacDonald, Tim + Eric (and Greg Turkington), Andy Kauffman, and John Belushi are probably my faves.

Good read isn't it? I tried petitioning my college to get 50 copies for the library but I have to wait until May to request something like that and write like a 10 page paper on why we need it. I'd only do this for Norm

#1 - Rich Vos

Most Overrated: Everyone else

kek

I liked Bill Burr's account of Vos at the Patrice comedy benefit last weekend. Did you hear?

It wasn't what I expected, but I did enjoy it. Not enough to finish it.

I don't really like reading in the first place.

Theyre all good. CK is god though of all the living ones.

Eddie Griffin

No particular order:
>George Carlin
>Norm McDonald
>Craig Ferguson
>Dave Chapelle
>Bill Murray
>HM: Jerry Seinfeld, old Chris Rock

Overrated:
>Kevin Hart
>Carlos Mencia
>Mitch Hedburg (great, but seems to get a huge bonus for dying)

Not Good but over-hated:
>Dane Cook

his early stuff was more pure comedy, but his later work morphed into political and social commentary. he was the first to admit most of his later specials were less comedy, and more spoke word with humor added. similar to ted talks are in the present.

This pleases me greatly, Norm is so god damn funny. He really deserves so much more success than he has. Not to say he's unsuccessful, he just deserves more.

my top 5 in no particular order
Norm
Hedberg
Chapelle
kaufman
rickles

most overrated
Kevin Hart

No, was it on the MMPC?

Aziz Ansari is really overrated

Oh fuck, I forgot Rickles. I wish he could be at my funeral destroying me.

now thats a controversial list. even among comedians.

Jim Breuer being highly underrated

>Over-hated

That's a good concept and I agree with your choice

Craig Ferguson is not top 10 funny though

you know what's up, honestly nobody is in the same league as kaufman. also John Mulaney is funny as hell

I’m worried. His brother has schizophrenia. Norm has had demons. Gambling. Hope he’s putting some away. He doesn’t care what people think of him. Which is cool, but if you don’t care about yourself.

Where the fuck is Doug Stanhope?

yup

Pretty sure its B8

Brutal. Your taste is fucking garbage

Anyone remember Dirty Work? It was a general shit movie, but if you look at it as one long comedy skit its fucking platinum material. The part with Don Rickels destroying Norm and Artie is 3 geniuses of comedy together.

youtu.be/eybFXuP50jo?t=1m18s

You are ranking comics in totality different genres. Gutfeld? Wtf.

are you kidding? more like the objectively most underrated comedians of all time. he came out of nowhere and delivered two hours of polished gold. his show was shit, and he hasnt continued to release new content, so his material is stale, but that doesnt make him bad. and people shit all over that poor guy. it was like dane cooks career, but played out in a quarter of the time.

Oh, I thought it was over-rated in general for one pick. Got that part wrong.

She might have been decent at the beginning but I've never seen or heard it. She and Robin Williams and Richard Pryor all cited Lord Buckley as a main inspiration so I figured there might be something out there somewhere but it's long long gone a long time ago...

Yep. You get shit.

He's kinda fucked, so that is worrisome

I used to love when rich was on opie and Jim and everyone would shit all over him. In the years he's been on and I've heard him, I think he's only said one thing that made me chuckle. He's just not funny at all. He's certainly funny to laugh at with his retarded speech impediment. The guy is a fucking loser and it losses me off that he snagged a dime like Bonnie

>Craig Ferguson is not top 10 funny though
He may not be as high on the general monolouge stand up stuff, but as an interviewer he has no peer.

if I could kill u myself. Carlin overrated?! an honorable mention to O'Neal?!?!? reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've never met another person who liked Dirty Work, I think it's lovely

Doug Stanhope
Louis CK
Bill Hicks
Frankie Boyle
Dave Chappelle

Most overrated: Michael Mcintyre/Russell Howard

Eccentric as fuck.

The worst
thetoptens.com/worst-stand-up-comedians/

I just watched it the other day, pretty sure it's on amazon prime video.

have you seen the interview where he talks about working with rickles?

youtube.com/watch?v=Fwg35NOtn0I

Emphasis on the high