Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FLjixsUEj5E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hes certainly not the worst.

This looks like a frame from a Kurosawa film

>steal entire scenes from Japanese movies
>hope the imdb-crowd won't find out

he had like 3 good movies

2001 was the most overrated piece of garbage ever made.

keep it up, my man, it might take.

>Rotten tomatoes nigger detected

show me 3.

That's not Zack Snyder.

If he's so good, why did he never won a real Academy award?

Hes the second greatest, after me

The thing about Kubrick is that HE WILL steal your shit and HE WILL do it better.

He called out the jews.

Nope
Cinematic masterpiece

I got to see it in theaters which made it so much better

no, Mario Bava is

There is no "best" director, you can't objectively rank artists.

You approval seeking tasteless spineless degenerate tourist pleb.

Ik your joking but does anyone say this?

>approval seeking tasteless spineless degenerate tourist pleb

Just starting a discussion, chill

He's got like three 7/10 movies. The rest are lower.

His movies always lose track in the second part.

A discussion can't be held with such a generic basic post.

It will only result in autists from the opposite spectrums screeching at each other is he "based" or not.

Lurk more.

I knew one guy that thought he was the GOAT.

Jesuit priest on college campus that used to beg the guys to have private meetings so he could get them alone. No joke.

>Cinematic masterpiece

top fucking kek no it's not. rashomon is a cinematic masterpiece. 2001 is not.

David Yates exists

fuck off you nip fuck

awards mean nothing

>2001: A pleb odyssey

>your life

I love Barry Lyndon but compared to some of the film I've seen it's incredibly "sterile". It doesn't really enthrall me as anything more than a half-drama and fictional recant of an irishman.

>Americans actually consider Kubrick one of their top directors

Terrence Malick?

>he watches chink shit

>Terrence Malick
>good

jesus christ Sup Forums

He's a very good director, but definitely a bit overrated, probably because of his Hitchcock-level perfectionism. There are better directors working today

>Terrence Malick
>Anything less than one of the finest directors working today

wew

so this is the neo-Sup Forums i always here about. kill urself.

>There are better directors working today

He's average at best. Horribly overrated. Knight of cups and to the wonder were fucking terrible though.

Scorsese

I've never seen a single one of films, I'm sorry, I don't have a fucking clue why I made the post in the first place. Bored I guess

prettymuch, i dont know why i even come here. the memes are weak

kys Marty

plebbit please leave

Yes, he really is. Why do you think conspiracy theorists say the moon landing was faked by Kubrick? Because he's the only one that could pull such a feat off. His priority was always to tell an engaging story. And he would build amazing worlds around that. There are so many ways to approach his films that just about anyone with the slightest interest in the medium will find his work fascinating.

second greatest right after Jim

Kubrick absolutely did film the moon landing.

dammit, couldn't they have at least put a pic where the dandruff from his beard is not on his suit?

I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD

Linklater is better than Mallick

>you can't objectively rank artists
Fuck off back to liberal arts school you post-modernist fag.

Holy cow all these buzzwords!

Most big filmmakers only wish theey made half as many influential movies as him

He's the best western director without a doubt

Paths of Glory, 2001, Dr Strangelove, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and so on and so on

How many directors can claim as many influential and timeless classics as Kubrick? His films never age. They stand the test of time. They are just as intriguing to today's audience as they were to the audience in the 60's and 70's. His achievements in the medium eclipses that of all else. He is indeed the giant that everyone good now rest on the shoulders of.

Friendly reminder that 2001, ACO, FMJ, The Shining and EWS takes place in the same universe: Kubrickverse

Maybe Dr Strangelove, i'm notnreally sure how to put it.

>Paths of Glory

Great

>Dr Strangelove

ok

>2001

shit

>Barry Lyndon

shit

>The Shining

shit

>Full Metal Jacket

average

>Eyes Wide Shut

great

kubrick is overrated and loved by plebs

Thanks for posting your hot opinions faggot

>shit
opinion discarded motherfucker

I agree

The clockworck Orange is a genuine Masterpiece tough.

kys

Why does that matter at all, literally?

2001 is both a terrible novel and film

This is true although it's more to do with the brilliant world crafted by Burgess instead of Kubrick's own visions. He brought it to life very well though. Lolita and Eyes wide shut 2 of his other best works. Notice a theme? Kubrick's best work is all based off of novels.

The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut, I genuinely dislike these films. EWS maybe I didn't get it or Kubrick tried to say something and fialed, but The Shining was a pile of shit. Literally average horror movie with good effects. Just why?

The shining is overrated garbage with literally just one good scene. It manages to do nothing meaninful the whole movie. If Kubrick name wasn't attached to it no one would even give a shit about it. Eyes Wide Shut is an unappreciated masterpiece and one of his only good films

Like Tarantino

Just a friendly reminder, thats all.

Pulp fiction is actually better and more influental than anything kubrick ever made

If you mean best Cinematographer, yes.

He is in the top 3, thought I'd also go as far as to tell that he's in top 1. My personal favorite is Eyes Wide Shut, and I'm glad it's getting more and more recognition on this board.

his best scene is pic related

Independece day is more influential than pulp fiction, it doesnt make it a better movie or that it have better direction.

proof ?

The Shining.

such as?

>The Shining.
>good

We've been over this already multiple times in the past.

>a movie with literally no story and outdated visuals
>good

>The Shining
>Bad
Were we?

2001 has phenomenal visuals, and it has a story. Just because you're in dire need of spoonfeeding, doesn't mean the story isn't there.

shining is a below average horror movie that's overhyped because "muh koobrick"

What makes The Shining below average?

youtube.com/watch?v=FLjixsUEj5E

The fact that so many books still name Stanley Kubrick as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" film Director ever only tells you how far cinema still is from becoming a serious art.
Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times.
Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe.

Film critics are still blinded by commercial success. Kubrick sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore he must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Film critics are often totally ignorant of the films of the past, they barely know the best sellers.

I agree with this. Kubrick only knew how to make poor adaptations of books.

not him, but i'll bite.

-Performances were shit to the point of annoyance aside from Nicholson, whose role was overacted as absolute fuck
-complete butchery of the premise of the original book, which would have made for a far more interesting movie
-drags on way too long considering the whole concept of the movie is 'clearly unstable guy in a house with his family'

Since when is a scene of 2 minutes alone to call a movie, that is almost three hours long, and I quote, "below average horror movie".

youre straight dumb

Why don't you faggots just agree that you're all swimming in shit and enjoying it?

let's see..

muh alcoholism and abuse
muh buildup, muh psychology, muh maze

sums it up quite nicely

Only to teenagers and a handful of art majors.

meant for I haven't read the book in over 10 years, so I can't argue if it's better or worse, but I found it good when I've first seen it, even though I read the book before.

Child actor, even though wasn't outstanding, wasn't that terrible either. The mother character was solid, not too bad either.

The Shining may have had some passing issues, but it was mostly paced really well and the Father's decent to madness was well potrayed. The direction and Nicholson's performance, which I wouldn't call overacting, are the reasons this movie is loved so much, and even though it's not a 10/10 movie, it's still a damn good one.

"muh insert x" =/= argument.

Sup Forums is kill

Mutual agreement on Sup Forums? Doubt it.

>dismissing a movie with 'muh"

whats being 16 like? I'm not even trying to be passive aggressive you really sound like a fucking moron

>I'll trash a movie even though I'm too stupid to put into words why I dislike it

95% of/tv/

>ctrl f tark
>0 results
Why has it become such a joke around here to praise him?

tarkovsky is pretentious

>the mother character was solid

dude, you completely lost me there. you MUST be looking at this with nostalgia goggles. her performance is god awful.

>father's de(s)cent to madness
This is exactly where kubrick ruined it, though. The father doesn't 'descend' into anything. You can tell within the first 15 minutes of the movie that he's crazy. That's the one thing the book did right that kubrick for some reason decided to forego; in the books, the dad was a good guy who was legitimately trying to be better, but his inner demons were brought out by the evil in the hotel.

Tarkovsky was mostly great, but knowing how Sup Forums is, they'll turn everything into a meme.

garbage pacing, writing, directing, and visuals.

only good scene was bathtub. failure of a horror movie and a failure of a psych thriller

There isn't a greatest director ever

But Kurosawa exists

Just sit down, shut your heads and watch the shit as it is without comparing it to novels, movies or anything.

>this is shit
>this is shit
>this is shit
You are the problem because you sad fucks can't appreciate anything anymore.

Not anymore
unless you mean Kiyoshi

>garbage this, garbage that.
Even though you're being this much of a contrarian, you'd be delusional to say that the visuals were garbage.

I re watched it during the summer, and she didn't tick my buttons the wrong way. She was solid, though nothing that memorable. I don't see your exact problem with that actress.

The father may have a short fuse from early on, but he wasn't always as mad as he was when he went to chop his family. I know the books made him more relatable, and that could'ev made the movie better, but it was good as it was. Kubrick was who he was, stubborn to the core, but that made him the great director he eventually became. Even though The Shining is a bit overhyped, which older movie isn't? I know I'm using "if x is that, why can't y also be?", but hype aside, The Shining is overall a good film.

>which older movie isn't

anything by kurosawa

Kurosawa is great and all, but some of his movies are also overyhped. Don't pretend that's not the case just because he's a nip.

>sees 2 kurosawa films