Redpill me on Siouxsie & The Banshees

Redpill me on Siouxsie & The Banshees.
I've been seeing them around here a lot lately. What are their best albums? Which ones should I avoid?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw
youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3JG9M25tU
youtube.com/watch?v=TAt52OPnRf8
youtube.com/watch?v=hq96AwXHuNA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Redpill me on Siouxsie & The Banshees.

Best pop band of the 80s, aside from maybe the Go-Betweens.

youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw
youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3JG9M25tU
youtube.com/watch?v=TAt52OPnRf8
youtube.com/watch?v=hq96AwXHuNA

>What are their best albums?

The Scream, Tinderbox and Kaleidoscope

>Which ones should I avoid?

They've never made an outright bad album, but Superstition and The Rapture weren't up to the standards of their 80s stuff.
I also never cared much for Through The Looking Glass, but I dislike cover albums in general.

Best:

>Juju
>The Scream
>A Kiss In The Dreamhouse
>Tinderbox
>maybe Hyaena

Avoid:

None are really bad, but some are pretty mediocre.

>Dark-punk's most overrated artist, Siouxsie has left behind very few compositions that deserve to be remembered. Most of her "music" was actually attitude, and therein lies her importance. She was an icon, and undoubtedly influenced bands worldwide. Goth-rock would not be a widespread phenomenon without her. But, unlike her model Nico, she was "only" an icon, and never a musician. Thanks to heavy promotion from major labels since the beginning of her career, she did achieve a bigger commercial success that the rest of dark-punk's emaciated ranks but at the expense of sacrificing whatever little originality her music had. If nothing else, the commercial scam helped give the genre some credibility with labels, which in turn materialized in a broader acceptance of gothic music worldwide. That is what Siouxsie will be remembered for.

She has her cult--an army of black-clad college students eagerly waiting for the world to end. But though many Johnny Rotten fans proved smarter than Johnny Rotten, Siouxsie Pseud wasn't one of them. Since like Jim Morrison she disguises the banality of her exoticism with psychedelic gimmicks best consumed at their hookiest, the nightmare vignettes on her 1981 best-of were of a piece even though they spanned three years of putative artistic development. After that I kept waiting for Siouxsie to end. But she left a lot of product in her wake, and for all I know it conceals another best-of.

>plays guitar
>plays piano
>sings
>wrote, recorded, produced, and performed on 15+ albums over a period of 20 years
>somehow not a musician
Jesus Christ, music "journalism" is retarded.

this

I prefer cure from the 80s siouxee is an iconic look though. if we talkin goth shit try vnv nation, kill hannah, crystal castles eps and remix die form in the 90s

juju is a really great album

I second Juju

No album from them is worth avoiding but most non fans dislike their '90s shit and Hyaena.

their version of The Passenger is better than the original

Hyaena is their greatest for my money. It's just so pretty. Dazzle does exactly what it promises.

TRUST IN ME.

>Redpill me on Siouxsie
Kaleidoscope is supposed to be full of hidden allusions to her accidental abortion due to drugs abuse: Robert Smith introduced her to LSD & shrooms and was the father.

>accidental abortion
A miscarriage?

You can also thank the Banshees for inadvertently turning The Cure away from the dull shit they were playing on Three Imaginary Boys towards making more expressive and interesting music.

>The Cure's leader, Robert Smith, declared in 2003: "Siouxsie and the Banshees and Wire were the two bands I really admired. They meant something."
>He also pinpointed what the 1979 Join Hands tour brought him musically. "On stage that first night with the Banshees, I was blown away by how powerful I felt playing that kind of music. It was so different to what we were doing with the Cure. Before that, I'd wanted us to be like the Buzzcocks or Elvis Costello, the punk Beatles. Being a Banshee really changed my attitude to what I was doing".

yup
she also mentioned in later interviews in the 90s too

>Robert Smith knocked up Siouxsie Sioux
That's a pretty bold claim to make, and I'm gonna need some proof.

Ian Curtis liked Join Hands.

> Sup Forums suddenly likes siouxsie
Pleasently surprised