VAPORWAVE GENERAL

Thoughts on vaporware... a genre or a movement? Is vaporware dead? Any chance for it come back, as a movement... ala blank banshee, joji

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=phzPJ72RDlE
youtube.com/watch?v=L4ZWKwMYScM
youtube.com/watch?v=4JNeRKVm82s
youtube.com/watch?v=yts4svaqKZk
youtube.com/watch?v=OpsZkMN9tmc
format.com/magazine/features/art/vaporwave
youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ8vsD4TmU
soundcloud.com/deskpopmusic/sylcmyk-pearlberry
youtube.com/watch?v=y1vcEnD3nEk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0ONsBbFLg
youtube.com/watch?v=f3sU6DMzG1I
youtube.com/watch?v=AJA77S11BmM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what does joji have to do with vaporwave

>what does joji have to do with vaporwave

forget joji, you're not seeing the bigger picture

Vaporwave as a movement is dead senpai, people still make it but it's not anywhere near as groundbreaking as when it started. It's suer oversaturated now and nobody is really trying to make intricate songs anymore.

the only people still standing are the giants like Blank Banshee and Vektroid

dont speak on underground shit you havent heard

Bullshit. Name 5 underground vaporware artists worth listening to

the fact that everytime vapourwave is brought up someone asks if its dead well explains the fact that vaporwave has died.

no do the work yourself

99% of "underground" vaporwave songs suck ass, either they try too hard to replicate what works or they go so off the charts experimental that it doesn't even sound like coherent music anymore, and if not that then it's just an old soul song slowed down x64 times. Vaporwave as a movement is dead

99%? where do these numbers come from

I'll defens this to my grave btw can go all day

literally listen to any recent vaporwave album on bandcamp and it'll be shit, the only good one to come out in the past YEAR was the most recent 2184 album, and even then it could barely live up to the album that made it famous

not saying its all good. the simplicity makes that obvious its the gems with concept thats worth peoples time

The fact we keep talking if its dead or not means it dying, not dead.

Don´t any of you want it to come back tho? be part of the renaissance of the wounded but not dead movement

I think part of vaporwave's dynamic is that its always simultaneously dead and alive

List down all the vaporwave artists still worth listening to or looking out for today

>Blank Banshee
>2814
>Vaperror

>Saint Pepsi
>Macross 82-99

You're then saying it can't grow or evolve...?

nobody said that

youtube.com/watch?v=phzPJ72RDlE ironic

And if it isn't that, it barely sounds like vaporwave at all.
youtube.com/watch?v=L4ZWKwMYScM

well if its living only fueled by the people who say its dead... isn't the whole concept hypocrisy

vaporwave haters cant keep the story straight during their blogpost fits

no one said thats who fuels it either whataboutery

its pretty obvious it is. did you not see the vid above? (vaporware is dead)... the whole subculture is based on criticizing the subculture itself, yet they tell themselves they're agains capitalist ideals

thats just one project anybody can make them which is the appeal

the subculture should take advantage of the movement and the "fanbase" to criticize thing that can be changed.. for the better

subculture=fanbase

any opinion on the actual point or just here to correct grammar

subculture is the fanbase dont think self-defacing meme irony helps any art

*doesnt help

>as a movement

delete nvm

lofi came from vaporware ... the movement is changing not dying. can we make it smn bigger than a genre?

I dunno about revolutionary, but BARCHboi is one of the most fiercely original vaporwave songwriters I've heard, and he's still making fresh stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=4JNeRKVm82s

not really desu, don't get me wrong i'll always respect the movement and genre but at this point i only listen to like 2 artists who rarely put stuff out as it. I've moved on user, you should too

Vektroid

This is some TOP-QUALITY sampling.

what IF the sound is not changing but evolving

lofi hip hop is coming from vaporware, which makes more obvios that the genre is indeed dying

to be reborn like a phoenix

exactly... isn't this lofi-vaporwave movement the perfect excuse to make a stand for whatever we want?

This canned response wouldn't have been funny even if it made a lick of sense.

Vaporwave isn't a genre, it's not a movement, it's a joke. It's a meme that's been edgy and cool since 2011. Vaporwave can't die, because it was never alive to begin with.

I was serious. I heard some really good, almost YTPMV levels of sample manipulation there.
Thinking about it now, it would be a really good idea to combine the two genres, they already have some musical and aesthetic things in common.
youtube.com/watch?v=yts4svaqKZk

congrats on the dubs

maybe the genre dying is part of the genre itself, like if its part of the asthetic and the essence of the movement

>vaporwave isnt a genre
wrong

So it's just in a constant state of somewhere between life and death, almost like the genre is in a constant limbo?
Whoa.

You're right but there are still some artists that are intriguing to follow and usually try new things in their music.

>deathsdynamicshroud.wmv
>チェスマスター
> t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者
>Golden Living Room
>ESPRIT 空想
>haircuts for men

Well shit, some of the cynicism in here must have rubbed off on me because I really thought that was sarcasm.

Yeah, I can say I agree. In fact, I think this is in the vein of what you're suggesting:
youtube.com/watch?v=OpsZkMN9tmc

Seeing a vaporwave thread this active on the weekend kind of says things about the genre and the people into it.

congrats on the dubs

maybe the genre dying is part of the genre itself, like if its part of the asthetic and the essence of the movement

>following artists
>not finding one off chopped droning elevator albums about death

format.com/magazine/features/art/vaporwave guys just read the article

new age for tumblritas

THIS IS AMAZING

the death of vaporware is part of the vaporware itself... the question is, can we change that?

Well, they DO call it "hauntological" music, so that's not too far off from some of the ideas that have been put out there so far.

>60 posts
>16 IPs
so this is the power of the vaporwave community

is it the ghost of the proletariat?

what subculture do YOU suggest?

not being an underage retard clinging to cringy subcultures is what I'd suggest

at least somebody's checking IPs for once

its just bantz lighten up

then what the hell are you ding here in the first place.. THIS is a subculture isn't it? want it or not, you're now taking a role in it

youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ8vsD4TmU

>uses the "word" cringy
>accuses others of being underage

OMEGA FUCKING LUL

>2017
>m e m e w a v e
why is still this thing?

This is pretty misleading. If you click on most any other general thread on the catalog, you'll see about 3-4 posts per IP average.

I think the most concrete thing I can say is that it challenges the assumption that capitalist utopia has brought about an "end to history".

猫 シ Corp. makes the best shit.

agreed the meme side of the genres less interesting

Ama I am vaporguru
Dont really consider him vaporwave since he only borrows in instrumentals and thats it.

This guy was Pretty spot on til he got to the last scentence
this is a genuinely stupid thing you are implying
>Infinity Frequencies
>Midnight Television/Computer Slime
>18CaratAffair
>Internet Club
>Western Digital (if we are talking who even is that underground)
>Talking about a 5 year old genre based off of a gimmick.
>has his own definition of underground that is probably conflated with the term indie and probably barely applies to this genre that is already non mainstream and semi underground
>99%
>Zoinks,jpg
This Is a great way to describe it
Other than the ones I listed and others listed
>R23x
>Nxxxxxs
>Deathsdynamicshroud
>Esprit
>Majority of Dream Catalogue
>and what everyone posted so far
Im confused as to where you got lost.
lofi didnt come from vaporwave. Unless you are talking about the whole *beats to study to type lofi* than yeah i guess it had a hand in it but this statement sort of makes it seem like the movement is majority rotating towards it which isnt true.
I feel as if you could say this for any new genre or movement that pops up since a new thing can just do unexpected shit when it develops and all it does is change slowly until it stagnates and dies. New Ideas and fresh styles/takes are still coming from it though.
Explain yourself because this just seems like a nothing statement. The only real things you claimed is that it is a meme and that it isnt a genre. Yes it is a meme (No one was really arguing this fact.) and a genre (there really isnt anything to argue with this point so I want you to actually explain yourself.
basically this
Not really saying its everlasting power or some shit its a 5 year subculture.

how about this

>Says cringy
>calls someone who bantered at him an underage retard
Id like to buy a vowel (You)
noice
Yeah I stay clear of this minus a few reaction images like pic related
However you get your shits and kicks my nigg

>daily reminder there are still people who havent fuckin URAP URAP yet

Anyone here hyped for the new Esprit project?

This is aMAZing, my god! Any more like it?

>OMEGA FUCKING LUL
jesus christ is everyone in this general straight from reddit

Terrible """"""""""""'genre""""""""""""' for terrible people.

sage

this sounds like a personal grudge, more bumps for my favorite thread though

If you haven't already, listen to Far Side Virtual. Also onestop.mid if you just like MIDI music. Overall, though, this guy is pretty unique.

underrated

>being this clueless about a genre and reducing it to 2-3 artists from 2012 that are no longer influential in the scene
or
>arguing with these fucks

I don't know what's worse

thats bullshit you know those posts refence other things

>implying I'm about to argue with you about this
have a (you) my man

like a dozen artists were mentioned

Also, there's some good video game aesthetic stuff out there of a similar nature:
soundcloud.com/deskpopmusic/sylcmyk-pearlberry
youtube.com/watch?v=y1vcEnD3nEk
youtube.com/watch?v=Vc0ONsBbFLg

by the people defending vaporwave

yeah god forbid something has fans

Why listen to memetic vapotrash when you can listen to city pop and 80's new age and synth music?

its the same thing retard

I don't think you really understand what I'm getting at

reread my original post and think about it

l i t e r a l l y

youtube.com/watch?v=f3sU6DMzG1I
youtube.com/watch?v=AJA77S11BmM

unless all those reccs sound like artists you can name its disrespectful generalizing

bruh
okay
I was referring to non-fans of vaporwave who generalise about it and still believe macintosh plus is the best the scene has to offer
and to people who waste their time on threads like these trying to educate them
don't get me wrong I love vaporwave but Sup Forums is really toxic about it, better off just enjoying it elsewhere

macintosh plus is an milestone for the style and those shitting on it seem so angry I must fight back its user bantz end of the day

Is this thread not the vaporwave general?

wrong

vaporwave is the electro-swing of the 2010's

>>For You - Tatsuro Yamashita
Jesus Christ thank you for posting this user, i got curious and im blasting the entire album now. It's a fucking musical goldmine.