Why do you listen exclusively to albums?

Why do you listen exclusively to albums?

Do you just accept rockist propaganda without question?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/buffalo-springfield/buffalo-springfield-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jefferson_airplane/surrealistic_pillow/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/warrant/cherry_pie/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/poison/open_up_and_say____ahh_/
youtube.com/watch?v=e2BOJ-94IMg
youtube.com/watch?v=rYu3UsNIXMM
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2017&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Get a damn attention span already kid.

Because albums are the only format that require an attention span?

Out of curiosity, what albums do you feel requires this attention span?

Listening to albums is often a fun and satisfying experience.

I don't only listen to albums
I do only scrobble albums, but I hope to stop that habit soon.

I agree.

Exclusively though? That's some nonsense

>tfw not intelligent enough for albums

I did clarify "exclusively".

I know reading comprehension ain't your strong suit but you must put in the effort, my friend.

Some albums are just meant to be listened to from start to finish.
For example thembi or 330003 crossdressers from the rig veda.
I usually just select the songs I like or feel like listening to on most albums though.
Frankly I don't think the rockist attitude exists like people like to think it does.

what other format works?

I guess it depends on a few preferences.
I do listen to single tracks, more so as albums become less of a focus in the mainstream,too, but i can imagine reasons to prefer just listening to albums most of the time.

it's hard to describe but certain songs I like sound even better when I hear it accompanying the album. a favorite is when I first heard obstacle 1 from Interpol for the first time and when I finally listened to the album in full it felt more massive. It's weird

7" splits is the way to go!

You motherfuckers.

Tell you what, next time I make this thread I'm going to draw a big arrow pointing to the word "exclusively" and adorn it with christmas lights. The image will be the word "EXCLUSIVELY" made up of smaller versions of the word "exclusively" and that image will be called "exclusively.png".

it's just a bother to choose a song every 5 minutes.

Despite what they say absolutely no one on this board exclusively listens to albums

DO YOU LIKE ARTISTS WHO ONLY RELEASE ALBUMS FOR THE MONEY, PLACING A FEW CHOICE CUTS INTO A JUMBLE OF FILLER AND HALF-BAKED IDEAS? THEN SHUFFLED PLAYLISTS ARE FOR YOU.

I don't know what you're babbling about actually

>rockist propaganda
Interesting concept. I'm sure you have a source confirming this propaganda. It was probably orchestrated by (((them))), right?

The thing you're so affraid to admit. What he's talking about was prevalent with the bands from the 60's and hair metal bands from the 80's. Hit single + filler in the case of the former and an acoustic ballad + a few "heavy" song for "credibility" in the case of the latter.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/buffalo-springfield/buffalo-springfield-1/
(For What It's Worth + filler)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jefferson_airplane/surrealistic_pillow/
(Somebody to Love, White Rabbit + filler)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/warrant/cherry_pie/
(Cherry Pie + filler)
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/poison/open_up_and_say____ahh_/
(Every Rose Has Its Thorn + filler)
youtube.com/watch?v=e2BOJ-94IMg
youtube.com/watch?v=rYu3UsNIXMM

Whose side are you on?

It's not about taking sides. I've just provided information that was lacking without buzzwords.

You've been commanded to cease your investigation, huh OP?

You know what an album is, right
What do you listen to? Singles?

Not many albums are made to be listened as a whole, it's simply not accounted for much in the production. Artists just say that to give the impression that they really tried hard and every song is a unique showcase of creativity. Obviously not true.

Many genres like funk, disco, plenty of electronic dance music genres rely on singles instead of albums. Jazz and classical aren't about albums but about performance and the recording (not exclusively in album form). The album format is mostly dominant in rock music hence people who consider the album format the main format in music: rockists.

>thinking people just listened to albums back in the day
>no singles
>no radio

I'm so glad rock music is dying

Now there's a long bow

I only listen to full albums when I listen to them for the first time. After that, I keep the songs I like and put them in a playlist by genre.

I like albums because a good album is like a really cohesive playlist, where you get a solid 40+ minutes of music without it suddenly jumping over to a completely different artist or music style and breaking your chill.
Having said that, I don't exclusively listen to albums. I also keep singles and EPs in my library, as well as individual tracks from less-than-solid albums.

(You)

He's got the right idea, though

>mfw all those people mistaking an albums vs singles/EPs discussions for a shuffle vs non-shuffle discussion
Also daily reminder various genres never really had albums like older jazz, classical in general or various electronic music subgenres so avoiding non-album formats is stupid

Reminder that compilation albums are still albums

>Also daily reminder various genres never really had albums
>classical

That'd be because recording technology wasn't around back then, you know?
And you can buy albums of classical music.
Your average piano concerto runs 30-40 mins, and it's been common practice to release double disc recordings of 3 or 4 concertos from any one composer.

Because I'm not a faggot who solely listens to singles or the most popular songs from a band or artist in order to maintain relevancy with the Top 40 charts.

Listening to albums is the way the artist intended for their music to be heard. They carefully placed songs in a certain order to create cohesion and flow.

So, the answer in your case is "Yes"

Yes, you do

Too bad I hardly even listen to rock music these days. It's not "rockist propaganda", a lot of the music I listen to holds its quality through cohesiveness of the music. For instance, how can you listen to one or two songs from Brian Wilson Presents: SMiLE?

I don't exclusively listen to albums but 90 percent of the time I'm listening to music I do. Why do you restrict yourself to listening to a few songs from an album you love rather than experiencing everything the artist had to offer as a whole?

Jazz tends to use albums, less as a cohesive thing and more of a "hey, what recorded session do you prefer?"; also generally given that you rarely have constant members it also allows you to find new artists based on their work. A Kind of Blue vs A Love Supreme, for example; jazz is an album format, even if you do not think about it. Moreso than rock, I reckon - after all, many great bands released non-album singles.

>For instance, how can you listen to one or two songs from Brian Wilson Presents: SMiLE?
It's not easy, but alcohol helps.

>Why do you restrict yourself to listening to a few songs from an album you love rather than experiencing everything the artist had to offer as a whole?
What makes you think I'm doing that?

>be a Sup Forumstant
>get an urge to listen to a single song
>it's the last song on the album
>have to listen to the whole album to listen to that one song
????

>surrealistic pillow is filler

Classical music albums generally have things like a symphony, or a bunch of etudes or sonatas, or even a few concertos. It's kind of a compilation? Yeah, arguably, but the pieces chosen are all cohesive.

Listening to one song off an album counts as listening to an album in my opinion
Just because you're not listening to the whole thing doesn't mean you're using the album format to listen

I'm glad rock music like is dying too.
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=2017&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=
Plenty of rock music here.

How many levels of irony are you on?