Other urls found in this thread:

frameworkradio.net/2017/06/604-2017-06-25/
youtube.com/watch?v=1XALVTzMOeQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if u want them to b bby ;)

yep. next stupid thread

Why would you listen to them anyway?

Can you repeat the question?

Why would you listen to literal garbage?

I'd say no, just recordings. You could always use field recordings as an element of a song though like in Soundtracks for The Blind.

if they’re edited/altered sure

simply the act of choosing when to press rec or end the recording, or choosing what parts of the recorded material to put on your release makes it music.

Yeah, they're brilliant. It sounds better on tape I dunno why

Yes, all sound is music if you arent a plebian

No because on their own they aren't arranged
If they are arranged into a piece of music then yes

I'd hesitate to call them music, but they should obviously be discussed on Sup Forums

nope.
see my post

No. I like a fair amount of field recordings, drone, noise and lowkey, but I wouldn't consider most of it music strictly speaking.

>choosing what parts of the recorded material to put on your release
That's arranging the music, simply recording it just makes it a field recording and not music

read my first sentence and try again
essentially the same thing as arranging

How fucking hipster do you have to be to listen to field recordings? God i fucking hate this board

Its called not being a fool who cant listen to and enjoy various types of music

You can keep arguing your point it doesn't make it true.
It's impossible to have the forethought to record at a certain time because natural sounds are not predictable before they happen, there's no human arrangement in them whatsoever until the recording is tampered with.
If 2 hours of a forest are recorded and released as is then it isn't music. That doesn't make it any less or more than what it is, it just isn't music.
You seem hung up on the idea that it doesn't have worth unless it's music.

how fucking new are you? do you even like music?

>because natural sounds are not predictable before they happen
damn, sorry I didnt realize I was talking to a clinically retarded person

Most field recordings aren't of literal fields. It just means the opposite of studio recording. Usually people carefully pick where and wen they will be recording to get something interesting, not just go to a random empty field.

Anyway "music" is an outdated, judgmental meme. It should all be called "sound art".

>you share this board with people who unironically believe this

natural sounds are not predictable*

kill yourself

>kill yourself
damn, sorry I didn't realize I was talking to a clinically retarded person

Unless you have lived on this planet for a couple of days then yes, natural sounds can be very predictable.

Not so that the timing of a recording can produce a pre-meditated piece

you sound just as retarded as tumblrinas with seven genders. Music is music, sound art would be a pretentious label to be used by people who can't produce anything of artistic value but don't want to feel bad about it. It's a non-term. You're a cretin.

So you're saying if i record myself taking a shit with my iphone for an hour that's an album? An album like Pink Floyd's The Wall?
I mean, i chose when to record it, and when to end it.

>An album like Pink Floyd's The Wall?

i guess miles davis didnt make any music then

Name 1 good field recording album

It's a bit more like Atom Heart Mother but yes that is basically right

>Anyway "music" is an outdated, judgmental meme. It should all be called "sound art".
Nah, I strongly disagree. It's not about "judgment," it's about articulation and specificity. This just reinforces the other user ()'s point:
>If 2 hours of a forest are recorded and released as is then it isn't music. That doesn't make it any less or more than what it is, it just isn't music. You seem hung up on the idea that it doesn't have worth unless it's music.

If all sounds are music, then what's the fucking point of having a word for it. If you twist the meaning of x to include literally everything, then x means nothing. You have to draw a line somewhere.

4 rooms

>there's no human arrangement in them whatsoever until the recording is tampered with.

but it would likely be tampered with if it was released, both edited and ordered

>If all sounds are music, then what's the fucking point of having a word for it.

its physically painful to read statements this dumb. But I guess its because ive been here for almost 10 years and anons are a little younger than me these days

>that was dumb
Nice argument

>ad hominem
Try directly countering any of the points I made, if you can. I've clearly explained my perspective and you've only replied with "lol ur dumb." Ironic to pull the seniority card with such a petulant reply.

LMAO. I really dont care to argue. 10 years does that to you. im just posting, move along.

>I really dont care to argue.
Looks more like you lack the ability to articulate your point, but if this is how you choose to conduct yourself, that's your choice.

Haha you're a funny man

he spent 10 years on Sup Forums what do you expect lmfao

Actual field recording artist here. In my opinion it depends on the context. My "pure" or "raw" field recordings I don't consider to be music, but are instead more akin to the sonic equivalent of a photograph. However, combining and arranging those same recordings into a soundscape composition is most certainly "music".

Although, I'll also point out that I don't really care if it's music or not (and most of my colleagues would agree with me on that I reckon), I just enjoy recording and listening to sounds.

>You have to draw a line somewhere.

that's not how language works son
most 'categories' are actually fuzzy as fuck

this is how nazism starts

At least try to hide your samefagging

>samefagging
nice meme word! youre learning, you will be a meme master soon young one :) check our r/greentext for more epic ones!

>My "pure" or "raw" field recordings I don't consider to be music, but are instead more akin to the sonic equivalent of a photograph.

that's interesting because most people would accept photography as an art form

Yeah, I definitely still consider it "art", just not "music.

>combining and arranging those same recordings into a soundscape composition is most certainly "music".
Ok this argument I can get behind. If you are arranging the sounds to convey a certain mood then yes, that is music.

Don't be I'm curious though. Do you have a soundcloud or some other place you post your work?

yeah that's it

seems most on the 'no' side are using the same arguments they use against duchamp etc

Sure, google "mola-recording blogspot" and hopefully it'll come up (Sup Forums thinks I'm spamming).

Yes improvisation is certainly equatable to field recordings isn't it

Are books music?

yes. and just like mainstream music styles, the performers also do not get paid.

You can't listen to a book with headphones so no.
>Inb4 audio books

field recordings are arranged by the hand of g*d like nature itself

Well it certainly is interesting.
Artistic? Yeah. Music? For the most part i don't think so but some of your recordings like Tremor and Seizure is.
You make pretty good stuff though. Keep up the good work.

if you record yourself turning the pages then maybe

>My "pure" or "raw" field recordings I don't consider to be music, but are instead more akin to the sonic equivalent of a photograph.
>I don't really care if it's music or not (and most of my colleagues would agree with me on that I reckon), I just enjoy recording and listening to sounds.
I don't understand why this is such a controversial stance. You explained it beautifully as the sonic equivalent of a photograph.

>that's not how language works son
Isn't it? I'm not sure what you mean by this.
>most 'categories' are actually fuzzy as fuck
I agree, but I strongly contend that classifying field recordings as music stretches the definition much too thin. It's not that they're completely devoid of artistic merit, it's just that they don't really fit the definition of "music."

For example, the word "car" has a bit of fuzziness to it. There's quite a lot of difference between a sedan, a hummer, and a limo. But if you stretch the word "car" to mean "thing that gets you from point A to point B," then you're starting to include boats, planes, and escalators, and at that point the word "car" has lost a lot of its usefulness.

i just see music as a useful synonym for 'shit humans like to listen to' but i have broad taste so it's useful to do that

you can also argue that any human intervention makes it music
all music is then 'humans interacting with the environment to make sound' and recording falls within that

>It's only art if it fits my specific definitions

*blocks ur path*

Hah, thanks. The seizure stuff is - to me, at least - definitely music. It's just sonifications with electronic music over the top so I don't think there's really any argument there. Glad you liked it and thanks for the kind words.

all music is art
not all art is music

kys my friend, do it while listening to a francisco lopez piece

>not killing yourself while listening to Luc Ferrari
pls

humans listen to speech too

it's a type of listening, not just listening in general

Is there a field recordings pastebin? Been looking to build an interesting collection.

what do you mean?

nm I'm retarded, misread your post

And specifically, ones dealing with nature and outdoor sounds. Currently I have:

Sounds from Dangerous Places
Animals of Africa
Dolphin Song
Helgoland
Favorite Bejing Sounds
Swiss Mountain Transport Systems

start here

frameworkradio.net/2017/06/604-2017-06-25/

not that guy but i think you're still right
i thought you meant humans like to listen to speech, like podcasts and lectures or just compelling orators in general since he said said

>i just see music as a useful synonym for 'shit humans like to listen to'

and podcasts and shit aren't music

I'd recommend:
Kiyoshi Mizutani - Scenery of the Border
Annea Lockwood's Soundmap series (my personal favourite is Housatonic)
Angus Carlyle - Some Memories of Bamboo

No, because the artist doesn't have control over the sounds that are being recorded.

Lol. Know what you're talking about before spouting such naive garbage.

>I don't understand why this is such a controversial stance. You explained it beautifully as the sonic equivalent of a photograph.

It's not like a photography artist is always acting like an observer and nothing more. It's more accurate to compare field recordings to landscape photography where the artist has very little impact on the subject, while mainstream music is more akin to conceptual or other kind of set-up photography.

That being said I don't see why people would want to detach field recordings from the music umbrella. If you run some kind of algorithm that generates randomly varying sounds for 50 minutes and record the result with no further input from you at all, is it not music.

I like to go outside at night. I smoke and listen to strange eerie sounds of my hometown. And sometimes it feels like music.

they're arranged by the cosmos

Music is just a recreation of nature and the human voice with instruments that produce perfect sine waves

Tape is fucking comfy af my dude.

Why are you here? I hate it too, but this is a free place for extreme autistic and hipster behaviour, faggots too.

Everything you hear is literally music.

it's one of the least musical forms of music, but music none the less.

Okay. Then what ISN'T music?

Anything that doesn't imply hearing.

literature, any form of visual art, physical things...

Most early literature, such as Homer and other ancient epics, were most likely sung.

So literally anything in terms of audio is music? Even the sound of your "hurrs" from the end of the shortbus you take to special needs school?

>implying this isn't music
youtube.com/watch?v=1XALVTzMOeQ

If you wish to regard that as music then yes.

did you read literally any of the thread before posting in it?

This.