El Topo - Alejandro Jodorowsky

Is this the best movie ever made?

>Noteworthy figures said to be fans of the film include directors David Lynch, Nicolas Winding Refn and Samuel Fuller; video game writer and director Suda 51; actors Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper; comedians The Mighty Boosh and Patton Oswalt; and performers Bob Dylan, Roger Waters and Marilyn Manson,

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Uqb4Jy0GTg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Is this the best movie ever made?

No.

Did you see it?

youtube.com/watch?v=6Uqb4Jy0GTg

>THESE people liked it and so should you!

I didn't dug that second half.

Aka I am too stupid for metaphorical movies

I had to force myself to get to the end

I'm probably not made for surrealism, but even then Eraserhead managed to somewhat pull me in with its universe. In El Topo everything felt random for the sake of randomness

not the best movie ever made, no, but I am a fan of the fact that this is film made up of completely allegorical scenes presented to us in a wholly symbol-cinematic fashion.

enjoy it for being the rare gem that it, in fact, is.

No. I think it's kind of hack, boring and it seems the only people to herald it as good are people who know NOTHING of film. These same people claim holy mountain is a masterpiece.

Is this the one with the rape?

idk man, I don't want to sound like a faggot but I consider myself pretty well-schooled in film and film theory, and it's one of my favorites.

dude jodorowski
I like el topo and holy mountain but no way.
Jodo is overrated hack

you are a poser man
I havee studied film theory and Jodorowsky is pretty nice but nothing new or special.

he copied the soviet kino and surrealism art core film from his time. He did nothing great. Anyway I would have loved to see him making Dune lmao

No, but like the other Jodo movies, it has the advantage of being incredibly unique.

South America produces fuck all, but when it produces an interesting perspective it produces one hell of an interesting perspective.

The one where he genuinely raped an actress to depict a rape on film? According to Jodo, yeah.

Not even the best midnight movie

Jodorowsky is the kind of guy that throws buckets of paint at a canvas and tells you to fuck off for not getting it's a criticism to fascist capitalism.
His movies are just random "omg so deep" images.
You're free to like them, but they're just random artsy crap, and he laughs at you for trying to find meaning or sense in them.

I dunno, I saw someone make a post here giving a pretty good analysis of the Holy Mountain and how it's tied to Jodo's batshit religion where they think John the Baptist was the messiah and Jesus was a liar.

>His movies are just random "omg so deep" images.
Quite the opposite.
The symbolism and allegory is so blatant at times you'd have to be completely uneducated to not pick up any references.

>and he laughs at you for trying to find meaning or sense in them.
Seems like the ending of Holy Mountain triggered someone hard.

how am I a poser? I've watched a lot of movies and read a lot of film theory, I'm not pretending to have done anything. Jodorowsky is great at imagist storytelling and I like his subject matter of mixing Christian gnosticism with psychoanalytics

why does a filmmaker need to do something wholly unique and mutually exclusive to all others to be considered great? The very notion itself is fundamentally flawed, as cinema like any other profession is built on the technical and artistic backs of its predecessors

>and he laughs at you for trying to find meaning or sense in them.

If you read literally anything Jodorowsky has written, you'll know this is patently untrue

>El Topo

They made a biopic about Iker Casillas?

>it's a Sup Forums doesn't know about alchemy or any other occult theology even though it permeates the entirety of art episode

where is the alchemy in El Topo? It's mostly tarot and heeb/christian gnosticism

>Did you see it?

No.