youtube.com/watch?v=dJelOS-fjrY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

try the 4 seasons

>listening to classical music
come one man get with the times

>1960's
>Classical
What did he mean by this?

Classical is only good for studying. Recreational listening is for faggots who feel like they're better than everyone else.

Start with some of the dudes who rearranged folk songs for classical ensembles and then either follow the path to modern classical or go back in time further

youtube.com/watch?v=l2YbbyX-Gbk

Petzold

Start with the Mozart for Babies series.

I'm pretty sure vivaldi was dead long before 1960

Start with the top image and youtube some shit. See what you think.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era

Contemporary classical exists.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_classical_music#New_works
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_in_classical_music#New_works

>People can't legitimately enjoy listening to Classical music
That's some top tier retardation my friend

Start with Leonin and Perotin.

>posting wikipedia lists

fuck off

Why is that a bad entry point?

dafuq is someone supposed to do with that? every name is meaningless to a noob. also god tier composers are indistinguishable from shit tier hacks on wiki lists.

Vivaldi, Mozart, Steve Reich, and Arvo Part are the best starting points imo because their music's very easy to follow yet still creative to an extent.

You can go cop their stuff off the MEGA links in the /classical/ generals.
I used to think this way long ago, too. But honestly, the more detail oriented you become in your music listening (as in, the more you start to want to pay attention to every single little aspect of what you listen to) the more rewarding this type of music is because it's so busy.
>not listening to the latest works in the realm of New Complexity
youtu.be/piBqsmYcj0s

Here's the image I pointed him to. Its not a complete list, but just the most important / well known.

Can't go too wrong with this image

start with the Bach

>Bach not baroque

>reddit music

you must not pay enough attention to music,
do you happen to drool and wear a helmet too?

Don't you know the difference between JS Bach and CPE Bach?
J.S. is shown as baroque in that image.

weren't they all late baroque

obvious bait

I dunno user, many people on Sup Forums really are this retarded. Take a look at the catalog and tell me people like this can even begin to appreciate classical

PDQ Bach was the best Bach

Start with classics that you’ve already heard a million times before, but you haven’t actually listened to them. For example:
Barber of Seville Overture by Rossini
Lacrimosa by Mozart
Beethoven’s 5th Symphony
Beethoven’s 9th Symphony
Four Seasons by Vivaldi
1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky
The Nutcracker Suite by Tchaikovsky
etc.

You’ll be familiar enough with them to enjoy the “Ah ha!” moment when the parts you recognize start to play, and they’re likely to get stuck in your head which will cause you to listen to them more and more.

YouTube is a fantastic resource for finding new music, the suggestions are spot on. Play new classical music in the background a couple times when you study/read/sleep and it’ll start to stick with you.

Start with the monks. Read about music history as you go forward through time.

I would recommend starting with romantic, modern or baroque era classical music.
Classical era is way too difficult to understand imo, I've listened to like 1000 hours of classical music and I still don't get it.

start with penderecki's threnody, stockhausen's song of the youth, cage's atlas eclipticalis
these are good beginner pieces

>not starting with Ferneyhough and Ligeti's Le Grande Macabre

Do you want to bore him to death or something?

ok, guy..maybe you can tell me...
i'm looking for someone similar in style (use of chorus) to Ligeti

>Ligeti's Le Grande Macabre
Oh wtf lol thanks for this user.
wtf.

try dimmu borgir

>feel like they're better than everyone else.
just say 'pretentious' you fucking brainlet, no wonder you don't like classical

Try the Beatles - Sgt Pepper

Chopin is the GOAT.

Choral works by Krenek, Kurtag, Rihm, Nono. Utrenja by Pendereki

lol

heh funny

Listen to the big three - Bach, Mozart, Beethoven.
If you like any of them, listen more and find artists from the same time period (or from after in the case of Beethoven).

Classical music is not monolithic (obviously, since it developed for hundred of years). I don't like almost anything from the romantic period. I love Baroque music. Charpentier is the greatest.

Other major stuff that's well liked and easy to like includes, Haydn, Handel, Chopin, Vivaldi...

Try out pre-Bach stuff - Gregorian chants, isorhythmic motets, hymns, etc.

Skip the 20th century because it's all horrible.

Try out some of the newer composers who brought back tonalism after the 20th century wank disaster - Glass, Reich, Adams.

Really though just listen to John Adams:
youtube.com/watch?v=MWO84mScCcc

What's funny?
Classical era music just baffles me.
Is there anything I can do?

Thank You

Classical threads are the only useful threads

i am getting heavily into classical this year and am entering via string quartets (haydn/mozart/beethoven), with a regular dose of symphonies. getting this all on spotify.
i would also suggest trying a classical radio station (like WXQR.org in NYC) where you can hear a variety of things and figure out what you like (eg choral music, orchestral music, solo, small groups, romantic, modern, etc etc).
also really recommend seeing some music live.

Listening to Krenek. Great stuff. Thanks.

love you

I went to some random classical concerts without any knowledge in classical music, and now I love it... if some don't cost too much, maybe visit one or two, I feel like that this is the best way to enjoy classical music.

This is good advice. Especially since a lot of classical recordings are bad, and/or have such high dynamic range that they just sound quiet/abrasive to someone used to listening to modern popular music recordings.

This stuff is great. Do you have any more recs? Or advice for searching this stuff out? Were these composers part of a movement or anything? Thanks.

It's pretty based. I'm sure you've found the production of youtube which is excellent:

youtube.com/watch?v=W72pJ7Cn_WI

youtube.com/watch?v=dJelOS-fjrY
Reminds me of the sandman, love the stage props

Schuberts one of my favorites, Erlkönig is really a cool piece when you get into the real analysis of it.

Imo in order to get the most out of classical, you need to know the music theory behind it, and knowing how to speak german really helps too.